Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Spoiler ahoy!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Spoiler ahoy!)

Post by Darth Yan »

Well, I saw it today. Not terrible, but it was kind of long, and the plot was pretty convoluted;

Some key plot points

The Good:
Spoiler
The interactions between Megatron and the Fallen seriously reminded me of Vader and Palpatine, what with Megatron calling him master
Spoiler
The Fallen: This guy is seriously cool, and he makes his move based on common sense
Spoiler
Optimus Prime's battle against Starscream, Blackout, and Megatron at the same time; It just emphasizes the badassary that is Optimus Prime
Spoiler
The final battle in Egypt: Hectic at times, but awesome
Spoiler
Optimus merging with Jetfire and then takling the Fallen, destroying the Doomsday device, and then beating Megatron to a pulp before going toe to toe with the fallen, stabbing him with his own weapon, beating him some more, and then ripping his heart out from behind while telling him "you will fall"
Spoiler
Any scene with Megan Fox: I won't lie, I really did feel kind of attracted to Megan Fox, especially when she wears loose outfits :luv:
Spoiler
The sequence where the Decepticons reveal themselves to the world, and when they revive megatron; both scenes oozed awesome
Many others

The Bad
Spoiler
The conspiracy theorist roommate was kind of annoying
Spoiler
The film was pretty long
Spoiler
The whole scene when Megan fox walks in with Shea Lebeouf and the other girl was unnessesary,
Spoiler
Some of the humor was a bit terrible (my sister liked it though)
Spoiler
The fight between Optimus and the Fallen was anticlimactic

The ugly
Spoiler
The plot; I really did have trouble keeping up with what was happening
Overall, if you like action sequences, and don't mind the ridiculously long length, then you will enjoy the movie. If you can't sit through an extremely long movie with lots of plodding, then this film isn't for you.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Revenge of the Fallen

Post by Havok »

Darth Yan wrote: Spoiler
Megan Fox
Spoiler
Megan fox
Well, I'm sold. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Havok wrote:Well, I'm sold. :D
Spoiler
Too much? Delete if so.
unsigned
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

This isn't even close to how she is in the movie
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

So if it's longer this time around, is more of that time taken up the robots in the movie? I liked the first film's humor and human characters but generally thought it could for more interaction and fight time with the robots. Hopefully this is true with making the human cast take the sideline.

I mean, my favorite scene in the first movie was that incredibly short but sweet "evil banter" between Megatron and Starscream about the "hoomanz took teh cube".
Best care anywhere.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

There are battles, but there is also a lot of plodding, so be warned, and humans take a pretty big role.
Last edited by Darth Yan on 2009-06-19 05:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

P.S.: There is this really wierd scene between Megatron and The Fallen, that could have been ripped straight out of Empire Strikes Back. I mean they even refer to eachother as Master and Apprentice.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Michael Bay tends to make movies that are overlong for some people. I certainly felt that way about the awful Bad Boys II. However, this is Transformers, the movie he was born to make, so I'll let it pass.

I heard good things re: they had cleaned up the fight editing so the fights weren't as hard to make out as they were in the first film - true?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Darth Yan wrote:There are battles, but there is also a lot of plodding, so be warned, and humans take a pretty big role.
I typo'd "with making the human cast take the sideline" and meant to say "without making the human cast take the sideline" since while I want more interaction with the robots I was also quite pleased with the human cast as well, or most of them at least.
Best care anywhere.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Most battles are pretty easy to follow, except for the fight between Optimus and the Fallen, because it was so fast paced and brutal. However, if you pay hard enough attention you can make out what's happening.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Darth Yan wrote:Most battles are pretty easy to follow, except for the fight between Optimus and the Fallen, because it was so fast paced and brutal. However, if you pay hard enough attention you can make out what's happening.
I'm not usually a score guy, but the music to transformers one was pretty much my favorite part of it all, was it that good this time?

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

During the fight scenes, fuck yeah
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Post by NecronLord »

I've edited this thread's title, so people who're not interested in the film can know what it is a little easier.

Though I will be seeing it, and thus, that's all the spoilers I want to read!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Darth Yan wrote:P.S.: There is this really wierd scene between Megatron and The Fallen, that could have been ripped straight out of Empire Strikes Back. I mean they even refer to eachother as Master and Apprentice.
The prequel comic gives a little more background between Megatron's relationship with the Fallen and the start of the great war.
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Havok wrote:
Darth Yan wrote: Spoiler
Megan Fox
Spoiler
Megan fox
Well, I'm sold. :D
Spoiler
She runs. In slow motion.
Anyway, liked:
Spoiler
The action scenes. Much better in this one than the first one, less Greengrass edits, slow motion used sensibly but not overdone, and generally a very good representation of giant robots beating the shit out of each other. Good fight choreography, and the fact that the transformers are all robots let them get pretty brutal at times (like when Bumblebee tore Ravage's spine out to beat Rampage with it
Spoiler
Megan Fox. See above. Also, her making Wheelie her bitch with a blowtorch to the eye.
Spoiler
Optimus GaoGaiGar. If your enemy pulls a surprise gattai in the middle of the fight, you might as well give up.
Didn't like:
Spoiler
The Fallen gave up when Optimus got his gattai on. Really, for him being basically robot satan, biggest and baddest of all the original Primes he pretty much got curbstomped. Hell, Megatron put up more of a fight, and he'd been dead for two years
Spoiler
The annoying roommate guy. He was unfunny and a wanker.
Meh:
Spoiler
The Twins, the humour was hit and miss all over, and these two were no exception, but the breaker was how they kinda just disappeared offscreen during the middle of their fight with Devastator. They do the David and Goliath bit, We cut away, and then never go back to them and Devastator's fucked off up a pyramid.

Spoiler
Devastator goes down like a pussy. He gets shot once by a railgun, falls to bits and never gets up. Though his component bots go on to do stuff.
Spoiler
Stuffed shirt bureaucrat guy basically adds nothing to the film, but takes up several minutes of screentime that could have made the final fight more epic
Overall, I liked this set of explosions a lot better than the first set of explosions.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Post by RedImperator »

Darth Yan wrote:Well, I saw it today. Not terrible, but it was kind of long, and the plot was pretty convoluted;

Some key plot points
<snip>
Overall, if you like action sequences, and don't mind the ridiculously long length, then you will enjoy the movie. If you can't sit through an extremely long movie with lots of plodding, then this film isn't for you.
So it sounds as if this film has all the same flaws as the first, a movie I actually walked out on. I'll give it a pass.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Spoiler ahoy!)

Post by Ghost Rider »

Added spolier tag, because I don't mind the new spoiler function, but really...just add it to the header so we don't use it in the same format as tiny lettering.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Since when did 2 hours and 24 minutes become "extremely long"?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Havok wrote:Since when did 2 hours and 24 minutes become "extremely long"?
It's longer then the usual 90 minutes, thus considered by the lowest common denominator as "Long". To be honest, length of a movie is purely in the eye of the beholder because if it captures your attention, you won't care. If it doesn't? Even 75 minutes is too fucking long.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Hey, I remember when 2 hours was 'extremely long'. :) If it's as boring as the first movie, I can easy see 150 minutes being a snoozefest; Star Trek was shorter than that and dragged, after all.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

generator_g1 wrote:The prequel comic gives a little more background between Megatron's relationship with the Fallen and the start of the great war.
Yeah, that was kind of weird. The film doesn't really imply much about their relationship beyond the typical master and apprentice thing, while the comic has the Fallen's influence being behind everything Megatron's done from starting the war to chasing the Allspark.

It also features the Fallen being in some sort of weird dimensional prison which had nothing at all to do with the plot of the film, so y'know. Tie-in comics lol.
Stark wrote:
Hey, I remember when 2 hours was 'extremely long'. :) If it's as boring as the first movie, I can easy see 150 minutes being a snoozefest; Star Trek was shorter than that and dragged, after all.
I found TF2 to have much better pacing than the first to be honest. The action is much more evenly spread, unlike the first which had a bit in the beginning and then very little till the climax. There's also a lot less jumping between the main story and the stupid little sideplots that don't really go anywhere. When it's not focussed on Sam and his posse it's either the Decepticons or a couple of short scenes about the army setting things up for the big fight. It just plain feels like a much better structured film than the first, though that's not saying a whole lot.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

While that is true, A lot of the scenes where Sam was running to reach Optimus were extremely trying; I couldn't help but think "just ressurect him so he can have his big climactic battle with the Fallen"
TheLostVikings
Padawan Learner

Post by TheLostVikings »

Darth Yan wrote:While that is true, A lot of the scenes where Sam was running to reach Optimus were extremely trying; I couldn't help but think "just resurrect him so he can have his big anti-climactic battle with the Fallen"
I am the only one who found the final battle and roundup to waaay to short? After having been hyped up for the entire movie as the guy who could singlehandedly take out all his brothers, create localized wormholes to teleport, and had some sort of telekinesis/gravity control or whatever it was to boot, and then some punches and less than half a dozen shots was all it took to kick his ass. (granted he also got his face ripped off...)

I mean, i watched the IMAX version which had 15 minutes of added footage, pretty much all of which was robots kicking the crap out of each other, but they couldn't have used any of that added time to give the final fight a little more Ooomhp? Seriously?

And I get that they had to cut costs somewhere, but cutting back and forth between the fight with devastator and clips where the individual constructions are clearly running around were a bit lame. I heard beforehand that they had a few recolors of the same CGI models, but I clearly remember a green long haul running a round at the same time as Devastor...

Of course I still think the overall movie was completely baygasmic, just had a few nitpicks, that's all.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

The fallen may have gone out like a little girl, but he was still able to rip off all of Optimus Prime's jetfire parts. It was stated that Optimus could kill kill him, and his own powers were vastly increased thanks to Jetfire's sacrifice. If Optimus had faced the fallen without Jetfire, the fallen probably would have won, or at best, they would have been equally matched.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I thought IMAX (which I'm seeing in Sydney on Thursday at 9.00pm, anyone else going to be there?) added one minute of extra footage, not fifteen. The latter seems excessive, and really expensive.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/