Gundam 00 - Second Season.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Gundam 00 - Second Season.

Post by VF5SS »

Well, now that Code Geass and Macross Frontier have come to an end, it's time to watch that other real robot show again. As you may know, this is set four years after the first season. Now the Earth Federation has created a special task force known as A-LAWS (sounds like Arrows, oh so engrish) who are basically the Titans from Zeta Gundam. Some interesting observations from the first episode, spoilers of course.

Louise is a GNX-III for A-LAWS. She's a bit unhinged and it taking pills to calm herself down. There is a group lead by Marina's old adviser who are a bit like the AEUG. They use cheap mobile suits like a space bound Realdo. Their uniforms are a mix of Union, AEU, and HRL. Setsunna has been hiding on a mining colony with his partially rebuilt Exia. Also some of the bad guys have got on the EX-Gear train and wear space powered armor that is apparently very easy to disable (shoot the big green thing in the back). Setsunna is also one hell of a commando as he dispatches all the Patlabor style drone robots the A-LAWS deployed to pacify the station. Exia gets its ass whupped and is saved by Tieria in the Seravee Gundam (aka Virtue Mk 2, now with more guns). Also we get a shot of Allelujah doing his best impersonation of Hannibal Lector as he's being held in some facility. Overall, a pretty interesting first episode. All that world building they did in season one payed off.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Re: Gundam 00 - Second Season.

Post by Ford Prefect »

Dammit Veef, I won't be able to see it until Friday! I also will have trouble resisting the juicy spoilers which will undoubtedly show up in this thread.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

A fairly strong start. Hobo-Exia was awesome, and I liked how it was only able to take a few hits before all the jury-rigging Setsuna must've done started failing. If you look carefully, you can see that the light in the chest crystal goes out as soon as the suit gets shot.

I liked the interaction between Saji and Setsuna; the sudden shift from "Oh shit, why the hell are you here doing this Rambo shit" to "Oh fuck you are Gundam" was well done.
Also:
Anyway.

The Seravee (Seraphim? C'est La Vie? Who knows?) was sort of cool, but I'm still wondering what the hell the point of that face on the back is for. It appears to just be a fuckmassive GN disperser that CB decided to have a bit of fun with, but I'm hoping there's a better reason than "for the lulz".

I'm guessing the interaction between this new rebel group and CB will be kind of like Karaba and the AEUG in Zeta. I was sort of baffled as to why Marina's advisor woman would've fallen in with them, though; unless I've forgotten something big there's real reason.

I can't imagine Kataron would really have any sort of realistic chance against the Federation though; they seem to mostly be usiing Realdos and Anfs, and they were both old, out-of-date models even before the first season. Against modern, GN-equipped MP forces they'd just get steamrolled.

Also, pill-popping Louise was funny, even though it really shouldn't have been.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Setsuna deserved to get shot. Is it that hard to explain, "No, we actually fought against those crazy fuckers. Don't trust anyone with red GN exhaust." ?
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Darth Raptor wrote:Setsuna deserved to get shot. Is it that hard to explain, "No, we actually fought against those crazy fuckers. Don't trust anyone with red GN exhaust." ?
Saji did have a point though; while it was the Thrones who killed Louise's family, there must've been a massive body count of civilian's due to CB's actions. Hell, Moralia was pretty much a wasteland when they finished their intervention there, and I don't remember anything about any sort of evacuation.

And while it might not have been CB themselves who killed her, his sister would still be alive it weren't for them.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Yeah, I'm not a Celestial Being supporter by any means, but they've got a long enough rap sheet without being blamed for stuff they didn't do and everything bad that's ever happened ever.

Also, was that Darth Graham?
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

He goes by Mister Bushido now. Not even kidding.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Graham has become the ultimate Weeaboo. I must also admit that Louise poppin' the pills was unintentionally funny. Reminded me of that guy from MS Igloo going, "want some dope?" Also was anyone floored by the scenes of Sergei and Soma? She even served tea like a good anime girl. Truly the pride of Russia. She's supposedly 22 years old now but I guess all that genetic tampering stunted her growth. About Seravee's second face, there was an MSV upgrade to the Nadleeh that had a Gundam-faced sword that supposedly increased the effectiveness of the TRIAL system. The power of Gundam compels you?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Why can't our all-American hero be a hat-wearing, horse-riding, chaw-spitting cowboy? I'm sad. :(
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Because they know that another Chibodee Crocket or Duo Maxwell would threaten to destroy the world with the sheer power of awesome.
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

To those who might have not seen the MS suits yet....

00, Seravee, Cherudim:

Arios, Ptolemaios 2, Ahead, and GN-XIII

Advanced GN-X
About Seravee's second face, there was an MSV upgrade to the Nadleeh that had a Gundam-faced sword that supposedly increased the effectiveness of the TRIAL system.
The Nadleeh Akwos (Where do they get these names?)

http://superrobotwar.files.wordpress.co ... 11_004.jpg
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

I heard that its lockon's(whoever it was who died in the first seas) twin brother who'll be replacing him....

doesn't this remind anyone of the movie beerfest after one of the characters(landfill I think he was) dies?

"hi, I'm landfills twin brother, I'm exactly like he is, and hes already told me all about you guys, so we wont have that "akward getting to eachother phase", oh, and could you call me landfill?"
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Yeah, I'm hoping this guy turns out to be his own person, though it's a longshot, he does have the same hair and clothes, after all. Otherwise, they might as well have just given the first Lockon amnesia.
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

Lockon 1.0 didn't smoke, IIRC. So, we're already going down that road.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Koolaidkirby wrote:I heard that its lockon's(whoever it was who died in the first seas) twin brother who'll be replacing him....
Don't tell me the director/producers/scriptwriters of 'Gundam 00' are plagiarizing the first season of the same damn series! Jesus, they couldn't at least wait until a sequel series was approved, like the director/producers/scriptwriters of 'Gundam SEED' and 'Gundam SEED Destiny'?
doesn't this remind anyone of the movie beerfest after one of the characters(landfill I think he was) dies?

"hi, I'm landfills twin brother, I'm exactly like he is, and hes already told me all about you guys, so we wont have that "akward getting to eachother phase", oh, and could you call me landfill?"
I saw this bullshit first-hand when I participated in a Robin Sage exercise (I wasn't a Special Forces operator in training, I was a regular soldier pretending to be a civilian-turned-guerilla as part of the operators' training). During a raid, a guerilla "corporal" miscounted as his squad and the operators were retreating from OPFOR, and one man was left behind and captured. The next day, the missing man reappeared at our camp, and the Major (a retired Special Forces officer playing the role of a guerilla leader) said this was the missing man's identical twin, and OPFOR executed the missing man after he was captured.

In short, a real-life example of the "Mu La Flaga is dead!" "He's too popular to die! Quick, edit out onscreen evidence of his death and write a script explaining why he's back in the sequel!" bullshit from 'Gundam SEED Destiny'.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

The worst thing was that Mu's death was one of the few that meant anything in SEED. And Destiny had to shit that up. Thank you for reminding me how much destiny sucked after a very good first 7 or so episodes. :banghead:
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Sidewinder wrote:Don't tell me the director/producers/scriptwriters of 'Gundam 00' are plagiarizing the first season of the same damn series! Jesus, they couldn't at least wait until a sequel series was approved, like the director/producers/scriptwriters of 'Gundam SEED' and 'Gundam SEED Destiny'?
Can you be bothered to know what you're talking about ever? This isn't a sequel, it's the second season to the same show, where it was revealed early on (i.e., before his death) that Lockon had a twin and later, at the end of Season 1, that he'd be replacing the first Lockon.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Sidewinder wrote: Don't tell me the director/producers/scriptwriters of 'Gundam 00' are plagiarizing the first season of the same damn series! Jesus, they couldn't at least wait until a sequel series was approved, like the director/producers/scriptwriters of 'Gundam SEED' and 'Gundam SEED Destiny'?
It was already established that Neil Dylandy had a twin brother named Lyle and they both grieved for their parents' death at the hands of terrorists. Of course, you didn't watch 00. All you did was rant and post blog posts that weren't your own. Just like you're doing now.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

For those of you concerned about the Lyle Dylandy problem, don't worry because the crew has it fixed.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

VF5SS wrote:For those of you concerned about the Lyle Dylandy problem, don't worry because the crew has it fixed.
You're missing half of it. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b329/ ... 475273.jpg
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

People say Sestuna's changed, but to me he's still doing the same old shit. Damn it. No more yeah, I was involved in killing your family, you wanna shoot me? Grow into your leadership role already. Inspire. Lead. Live

I can't help but feel that CB was taking a huge risk by letting Sestuna F Hobo run around like that. Wouldn't it have been incredibly easy to lose a true-GN drive that way?
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

I'm not sure they had much choice in it up to now. They were quite owned at the end of season 1, and we know that the GN particles will prevent long range sensors from working. Up to this point they might have had no idea where he was.

His appearance has certainly changed at least-- he actually seriously looks like a guy from the middle east now. I'm pretty happy to see that they did that, rather than keeping the generic animu protagonist look.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about Ribbons? I even read somewhere that he might have been the pilot of the 0 Gundam. But it's like he came out of nowhere and took over everything for no apparent reason. Yeah, he's been around for the whole story so far, but he still doesn't make any sense.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

I believe he's a Veda terminal like Tieria.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Seggybop wrote:I'm not sure they had much choice in it up to now. They were quite owned at the end of season 1, and we know that the GN particles will prevent long range sensors from working. Up to this point they might have had no idea where he was.
Celestial Being has some sort of countermeasure to the GN jamming - their e-sensors work perfectly well even when they're pumping out huge concentrations of particles.

His appearance has certainly changed at least-- he actually seriously looks like a guy from the middle east now. I'm pretty happy to see that they did that, rather than keeping the generic animu protagonist look.
Anyway, does anyone know anything about Ribbons? I even read somewhere that he might have been the pilot of the 0 Gundam. But it's like he came out of nowhere and took over everything for no apparent reason. Yeah, he's been around for the whole story so far, but he still doesn't make any sense.
He's the man behind the man, the mysterious mastermind playing the game from the shadows. We know that he is almost certainly, as Raptor says, a humanoid Veda interface but we're not supposed to know much more about him than that, at least not yet.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.