info on Stargate: Universe characters

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

info on Stargate: Universe characters

Post by Darksider »

gateworld link here

first thing i'm going to say is :roll:

This character list does not give me hope for a quality show.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I don't know about anybody else, but I couldn't even read all the way through those descriptions.

They however seem to be really really rough. I mean, I don't know how its done in the TV business, but do they start with a pretty generic character description, and before anything even is filmed it will evolve with who they choose to hire? Could the SG-1 and Atlantis teams be effectlively describe in a similar manner(other than them ALL being 20 somethings), which were then refined after they have the person that will play them?
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Sounds like a really bad clone of old SG-1 characters so far. Ick.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Why would Chloe Carpenter be on a spaceship to begin with? And Ron "Psycho" Stasiak's description sounds nothing like Hoot from Black Hawk Down.

These are so so generic. I mean their hacker is a social hacker who has never been recognized for his genius? Really? I've never seen that before.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

My sense of forboding for this show has certainly been increased, but those descriptions are just vague enough that I'll wait to pass judgement. The actors and actresses might "save" their characters, after all.

It is interesting if you think of how aged the starting cast of Atlantis came off as. Teyla and Ford were the only ones who seemed to still be in their 20s (and Teyla very well could've gone past 30), with Carson, Sheppard, and McKay pretty clearly in their 30s at least and Weir as high as lower-40s.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
FuncoWilkerbean
Youngling

Post by FuncoWilkerbean »

I bet you in the first season an "outsider" will join the crew, like Teyla and Teal'c.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Steve wrote: It is interesting if you think of how aged the starting cast of Atlantis came off as. Teyla and Ford were the only ones who seemed to still be in their 20s (and Teyla very well could've gone past 30), with Carson, Sheppard, and McKay pretty clearly in their 30s at least and Weir as high as lower-40s.
People in such important specops positions are typically older than 25 in real life, with average age over 30. A 25-year-old would be the "Kid" in those circles. The main reason is that specops personnel typically need to have considerable prior experience and even if you start at 18, you probably will not have sufficient experience until you're at least 25. You really REALLY don't want a 20-year-old unstable personality in your team.

The remark about Michael Shanks being in his 20's in 1997; yeah, he was 26, and his character (Daniel) could have been anything from 26 to 35 judging from his demeanor. There were no kids in the original SG-1 team.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Have you guys not seen a casting call before?

These are extremely, extremely, rough outline for the type of character they want to give the actors an idea.

By no means are these even close to the final product.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

I'll wait until they at least flesh out the characters a bit more before I pass judgement. It does seem like an odd mix though, even as a research crew turned into an expedition.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The cast call sounds similar to Firefly / Lost in Space but if thats where they are taking inspiration from then it sounds like a really bad idea. Most of the descriptions are copies of previous series notable characters from Atlantis and SG-1 which seems pointless.
If your that desperate to copy characters then just put the original characters into the show but the situation with the O'Neil substitues is getting extremely old. This will be the THIRD person they have fielded in an attempt to simulate O'Neil and it simply dosent work properly. The only benefit of Shepard was being able to play off against McKay like O'Neil and Jackson. I have my doubts about how much decent dialogue your going to get between a 40 year old O'Neil and a bunch of 20 year old misfits.
Strider
Youngling

Post by Strider »

For some reason, when thinking about Everett interacting with the cast it evokes images of Tommy Lee Jones in commercials for "Man of the House" (that movie where he was protecting all the teenage girls). This is not a good thing.

Also, does this means they aren't going to recast a character they already have, or is that character not mentioned just because this is a casting call? Incidentally, lame hacker kid pretty much rules out McKay, Asian doc rules out all the various doctors, and Everett rules out Shep and Cam; Carter and Jack won't be avalible for the show; and Teal'c, Ronin, and Teyla all have ties to their respective regions and peoples. The only character left, one with his role of Archaeologist/Culture type completely unfilled, is the man who won't stay dead, Daniel Jackson himself.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

It's like they reached into the Box of Cliches (tm) when writing up those characters. You've got the Jack-of-all-Trades Supergenius (tm), the Hard-Bitten Veteran (tm), The Damsel in Distress Who Happens to be the Tits-and-Ass (tm), the Dark, Brooding Outsider (tm), the Pretty-Boy(tm), and The Tough, but Sensitive Woman (tm) and that's how far I managed to get before my brain shut itself off and tried to crawl out my ears.
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

20, all ethnicities. Marine. Big, strong, silent. You want him on your side. You don't want him mad at you. Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him.
Good lord... :roll:
Marine Corps Tankers Proud and True, Band of Brothers known by Few.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Thanatos wrote:
20, all ethnicities. Marine. Big, strong, silent. You want him on your side. You don't want him mad at you. Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him.
Good lord... :roll:
Behold... Ronan mkII.

I would have hoped the producers would have realised how completely shit Ronan is as a character let alone how much worse it will be when this is meant to be a 20 year old human.
If it wasnt for the 'moral center' I would peg this character as a potential Jayne from Firefly but it has already been mentioned this show is being aimed for younger audiences so I doubt they would use a dark character like that.

Overall, the cast call is cliched and the combined ensemble makes Universe seem very much like a Lost-In-Space routine. It really brings up reservations about how they intend to pull this off for a pilot. All these people sound like misfits that you dont want around yet they are going to find themselves in a position to be onboard a intergalactic ship ?
Because it makes sense that Stargate Command would send these people onboard a ship rather than experienced SG Teams that have worked with Ancient tech before.
I can see no reasonable way for these characters to get into this situation that wont require awful amounts of writer's fiat and warping to work.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Predator's post gave me a chilling thought.

He's right, the SGC isn't stupid enough to send this cliche-ridden team of rejects onto a newly discovered ancient ship.

What if they go with the tired cliche of "rookies get trapped on board ship, have to find way to make shit work?"
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Actually, it seems more like a mix between Ronan and Teal'c. Ronan doesn't always seem like the silent type. Teal'c on the other hand (especially in the first few seasons) barely says a word without being asked a question first.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I'd just like to point out, the O'neill of Ten years ago is more than likely O'neil season 1/Season 2.

A much more serious character than he eventually became. He had some levity, but no where near as much as he had by season 4.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: The remark about Michael Shanks being in his 20's in 1997; yeah, he was 26, and his character (Daniel) could have been anything from 26 to 35 judging from his demeanor. There were no kids in the original SG-1 team.
I'd had pegged as being early 30's. He definately didnt act like a kid.

also he was the non military expert. the military was adamant Carter (the miltary expert) also being part of the team. it also seems to me that if O'neil (and Kowalski) hadnt been so comfortable with Jackson, Jackson might have been sidelined like the old lady.

one advantage of the original Stargate Movie was that it gave a backstory to the series. O' Neil and Jackson come in a with a pre formed relationship and Carter and Tealc have to attach themselves to that relationship.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Those look like the vague general-call casting outlines. They'll be refined as auditions go on and they start to get actors cast, and the characters should develop over the course of the show (Ronan is the one exception I can think of :P)
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

I'm guessing this ill-fated bunch takes a mission to a backwater "safe" world to investigate something, with the Senator's daughter in tow, as some sort of PR mission. They activate a ship which takes off with them :roll:

Also, is it me or does the social outcast/genius sound like a /b/tard to anyone else?
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

A character called "Psycho".

Jeezus.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Kodiak wrote:Also, is it me or does the social outcast/genius sound like a /b/tard to anyone else?
Yes, if you remove the "utter genius, etc.", "Jack Black" and "comes from broken home" parts, and replace "acerbic sense of humour" with "lame anti-humour with a focus on pop-culture references, or just references in general".

So, no.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I remember when this was going down with Atlantis, all that they had for Colonel Sheppard was 'An ace pilot with down to earth common sense and a secret passion for math'.

Don't worry, these people know what they're doing.

As for Chloe, I'm betting they were touring the ship when they got a distress call or got asgarded away or something.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I remember when this was going down with Atlantis, all that they had for Colonel Sheppard was 'An ace pilot with down to earth common sense and a secret passion for math'.

Don't worry, these people know what they're doing.
Yeah, but then what would we have to bitch about? The financial crisis?
As for Chloe, I'm betting they were touring the ship when they got a distress call or got asgarded away or something.
Most likely, but it seems kind of lame to have her there just to create some drama and eye candy.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

I'm very cautiously optimistic about these. Sure, they seem generic now, but I would bet that any show's list would look like this at such an early stage of the game. The biggest hope of mine is that they manage to get decent actors, who can't take these rough basics and turn them into memorable (or at least decent) characters.
Proud member of the no sigs club.