Cannot remember the name of this series...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Cannot remember the name of this series...

Post by Lord Relvenous »

This has been driving me crazy for the past day, and I've even scrolled through lists of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon's past shows, with no success. So I finally decided to enlist the help of SD.net, where someone always seems to know something about everything.

The show that I'm looking for was aired roughly 5 years ago, on either Cartoon Network, or Nickelodeon, I cannot remember which channel. The premise was that a new small experimental robot with great power was trained by an older and larger robot. The catch was that the older and larger robot was really piloted by a human and not a robot at all. I remember specifically that the large robot was grey with the pilot being seated in the chest and had machine guns mounted in the elbows.

I know that this is a very generic description but I hope that someone will know what I''m jabbering about, and relieve me of this compulsion to find the show.

Note: The show was aimed at the common Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network demographic: kids ages 5-14 or around there.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I think you're talking about Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot, which aired on Fox Kids, not Cartoon Network or Nickolodeon.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Damnit you are good! That would would explain why I could not find it. thanks, maybe I can regain my sanity. I knew someone on SD.net would know the answer.

Unless someone has something else they want to say. can a mod please lock? Thank you.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I remember specifically that the large robot was grey with the pilot being seated in the chest and had machine guns mounted in the elbows.
Machine guns mounted everywhere.

And yes, that's Big Guy and Rusty the Robot. The big bot was codenamed BGY-11, the quasi-villain was Rusty's owner and his wise-cracking monkey and the whole show was covered in a thick layer of fifties cheese and rampant patriotism, but in a laid-back, ironic way. Not a bad cartoon at all.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Ghetto edit:
Big Guy wrote:No not-of-this-earth surgical-probe-wielding invader's gonna deprive this planet's children and their growing bones of even one glass of wholesome milk!
Big Guy wrote:For God and country. For every baby who's ever gonna cut a tooth, and every kid who's gonna study hard and get a good job. For every last living creature on planet Earth -- I'm goin' in.
Big Guy wrote:Thank Henry Ford for standardized parts.
Big Guy wrote:And as for you, young man, I hope you learned a lesson about taking things that don't belong to you. Particularly things which defy the known laws of physics.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

It's based on a comic by Frank Miller too. I actually liked the series better than the comic.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

Not to mention it had one of the coolest theme songs ever.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Sounds like The Tick. If he were a robot.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Big Guy wrote:I'll fight to keep this country to keep this country free. I'll fight so its safe for decent people to walk their dogs after dark. I'll even fight to eliminate the designated hitter rule from baseball, but I won't fight to provide cheap thrills for some sick freak.
:lol: Designated hitter rule. :lol:
Really thoguh, watchign that show on youtube is actually pretty fun. I loved that show as a kid, and I still enjoy watching it now.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

talking about Nicklodean sci-fi

remember Space Cases? what a great show, whens that coming to DVD
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Tychu wrote:talking about Nicklodean sci-fi

No release is planned.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Nyrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Nyrath »

Tychu wrote:talking about Nicklodean sci-fi

Yeah, the rainbow haired girl was later the engineer on Firefly.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I remember both, good childhood memories there.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I was amazed at how the Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot series looked as if Geoff Darrow (the comic's artist) drew and animated everything.
RIPP_n_WIPE
Jedi Knight

Post by RIPP_n_WIPE »

Wow I remember that show now. Big guy was getting old modelled and rusty was the replacement with uber tech. Why they just didn't make another suit though...
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

I actually watched a few episodes and found it to be quite good.

He are the screenshots of the series

http://www.toonarific.com/show_pics.php?show_id=458
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I wonder how BG and RR would fare against other mechas like Big O, Voltron, Gundam, etc....?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

Enigma wrote:I wonder how BG and RR would fare against other mechas like Big O, Voltron, Gundam, etc....?
They're somewhat underpowered in comparison (although I'm unsure of the giant bombs BG sometimes throws at enemies).

Of course, everything Big Guy says is pure, concentrated awsome, so it kinda balances out.

Not to mention how he's powered by Cobalt/Thorium G. :lol:
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Unless he's just carrying them at the time, wouldn't he got at it with his usual weaponry? That's like machine guns and missiles right? How's that going to work?

Though he's an American gosh darn it. So he wins by default.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Though he's an American gosh darn it. So he wins by default.
If he doesn't get lost on the way to the battle.