Ricky & Morty S3 *spoilers*

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Ricky & Morty S3 *spoilers*

Post by Crazedwraith »

I saw the first episode on Netflix. Which in UK is airing them a week behind the US.

Still, three series in and I'm not sure how much I like it. That was nice dodging off the humanity the gave Rick at the end of S2 in the s3 premiere.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ricky & Morty S3 *spoilers*

Post by Crazedwraith »

I fucked up the title. :( Mod help?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

You just saw the first episode of the new season? That came out in April with the rest to follow right around now.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Jub wrote: 2017-08-01 07:39am You just saw the first episode of the new season? That came out in April with the rest to follow right around now.
Yeah. Like I said it's hitting Netflix UK an episode behind the US. You got season 3 episode 2 the other day, we got season 3 episode 1. *shrugs*
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-08-01 07:43amYeah. Like I said it's hitting Netflix UK an episode behind the US. You got season 3 episode 2 the other day, we got season 3 episode 1. *shrugs*
That's odd, I can see a week long delay just due to scheduling differences. Not getting the episode in April when we got it seems pretty strange.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Jub wrote: 2017-08-01 08:08am
Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-08-01 07:43amYeah. Like I said it's hitting Netflix UK an episode behind the US. You got season 3 episode 2 the other day, we got season 3 episode 1. *shrugs*
That's odd, I can see a week long delay just due to scheduling differences. Not getting the episode in April when we got it seems pretty strange.
Is April Fools a thing in the U.K.?
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

FireNexus wrote: 2017-08-01 08:33amIs April Fools a thing in the U.K.?
Yeah, it certainly is. Even if it wasn't, it's not like the UK doesn't have Google to figure out the joke.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Good to see the show hasn't lost its knack for making me deeply uncomfortable - Robot Morty's fleeting experience with sentience is gonna stick with me for a while. Otherwise loved the ep, great character development and some class jokes. I'm glad the show's back properly at last.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

That episode makes the wait worth it. Picks up and goes without making you feel like you've missed anything.
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Need to check if its even on Canadian Netflix. That or need to find another way to get American flix again, considering they managed to disable many of the not-shady ways. I mean, I get liscensing issues and whatnot but I still pay for the same fucking service, with much less content.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Latest episode was a very interesting take on the Avengers, with their characters being rather similar to each other, their in-fighting, and how certain characters are the real draws, while others seem like fillers in the common eye.

A rather harsh lens on them, but Rick and Morty take a harsh lens on everything.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I note how superficially they were avengers/guardians of the galaxy, they reeeeally slid into horror/Saw movie tropes, like, the second things got started.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

S3 is brilliant so far, especially the premiere with more of the Council of Ricks. "Our lawyer is a Morty!"
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Latest episode. Rick and Morty meets Training Day and Falling Down. Also, we finally, finally, FINALLY see the return of 'Evil Morty'.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Damn, that was a good one.

Also, I'm always happy to see more of the Citadel of Ricks.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Dang, that really was good. A lot of commentary about power, race, and police.

Sidenote: I think everyone in that episode had the same voice actor (save *maybe* the commercial narrator?).
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, it was all Ricks and Morties, except for the narrator.

- George Carlin
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-09-11 09:05am Latest episode. Rick and Morty meets Training Day and Falling Down. Also, we finally, finally, FINALLY see the return of 'Evil Morty'.
Infinite Morty exists...it might not be the same one. That was actually something I really liked, the note on how many standard deviations one of the Ricks was off the normal curve, which had been mentioned before.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2017-09-12 10:47am Infinite Morty exists...it might not be the same one. That was actually something I really liked, the note on how many standard deviations one of the Ricks was off the normal curve, which had been mentioned before.
The first Evil Morty incident was supposed to be a fairly unusual thing... I think it's the same Evil Morty because being taken in with all the others is how he got in, and the photos fairly definitely seem to be from the first incident.

Oh snap, did he do the first episode plot just to get in? As one of a whole batch of Rickless Mortys who could blend in, with no-one looking out for them specifically? Is that why he didn't use 5 Mortys and some jumper cables?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Here's a question I want to bring up. Wisecrack has argued that Rick and Morty is a show about pessimism, existentialism, and nihilism. Essentially, nothing really matters, everything is shit, and you might as well laugh at it.

The latest episode, which utterly deconstructed and destroyed modern society, perfectly illustrates that. No matter what any Rick or Morty did by themselves, the society is so indifferent that nothing changes, or only makes things worse.

Could one sum up the show as that? Nothing really matters, you exist, and then you die, and you can't make things better, so 'don't think about it'.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

There is a scene that says almost exactly that at the end of the first Interdimensional Cable episode.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I've always felt that this sums it up pretty well:

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Jub wrote: 2017-09-13 06:49pm I've always felt that this sums it up pretty well:

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV."
Yeah. The underlying idea of the show would be that the universe provides you with no meaning, but you have to make it yourself. Jerry and Beth focused on family, and Rick gives them hell for that, telling Morty to rise above and focus on science.

- George Carlin
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

The only character who is actually a nihilist is a self-hating misanthrope who is desperately trying to find meaning by forging a relationship with his grandson in the most obtuse way possible. While doing wierd adrenaline-junky shit to prevent himself from finding solace in a lead slug backed by a few grains of powder.

So no, it isn't a "nihilist show", it is a show, with a nihilist character, who is depicted as realistically depressed and unfulfilled.