New Doctor Revealed Sunday After Wimbledon

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

JLTucker
BANNED

New Doctor Revealed Sunday After Wimbledon

Post by JLTucker »

As the title says, we'll know who the new Doctor is tomorrow.

I have no idea who is in the running, and I know a teaser was released, but I refuse to watch it. Now, my dream Doctor would be 11 again because he was the best of the new series IMO and it would be cool to bring him back. It wouldn't make much sense given he accepted the regeneration gracefully, as opposed to 10. Bringing 10 back would be a nice touch and would fit 12's desire to not want to change.

Thoughts?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Doctor Revealed Sunday After Wimbledon

Post by Crazedwraith »

It would be idiotic to bring back an old actor as new incarnation. Missing adventures of an old incarnation would be okay.

Almost as idiotic as bringing back an old doctor with a new actor. Though that's not without precedent.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Word on the street is it'll be Kris Marshall, which I'm...interested in.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Mmm, I love the smell of new Doctor in the morning. :D

But damn, am I going to miss Capaldi. :( Its hard to believe that this is happening again so soon. And I wish Capaldi had got a chance to shine under a writer other than Moffat. Of course, I wished the same for Matt Smith.

I'll be rather irritated if its not a female Doctor, given how heavily I feel that's been foreshadowed. Never been a fan of teasing the audience and then pulling a bait and switch, in general. But I'd accept almost anything willingly, save for bringing an old Doctor back (that would be indicative of both craven pandering and creativity sterility, and a betrayal of the legacy of a show that has thrived in part because of its willingness to constantly reinvent itself).

Oh, and please not another young pretty boy to appeal to the young fan girls/shippers. Unless they're a really, really good actor. :wink:

Edit: Besides, on the subject of a female (or non-white) Doctor, we do need more diversity and equal opportunity in casting, and Doctor Who is in a more or less unique position to do that without creating a continuity issue, due to the premise and the concept of regeneration. But of course, this topic has been rehashed time and again.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-07-15 03:53pm But of course, this topic has been rehashed time and again.
And yet you felt the need to rehash it all again. Now I agree in principle. I just don't think they will do it. (or that they'd do it well if they did)

Even if we generously assume the confirmation that sex can change in regeneration is foreshadowing for a female doctor, that's still only Moffat's foreshadowing. The new guy is under no obligation to follow up on it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-07-15 04:09pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-07-15 03:53pm But of course, this topic has been rehashed time and again.
And yet you felt the need to rehash it all again. Now I agree in principle. I just don't think they will do it. (or that they'd do it well if they did)

Even if we generously assume the confirmation that sex can change in regeneration is foreshadowing for a female doctor, that's still only Moffat's foreshadowing. The new guy is under no obligation to follow up on it.
I want to complain, but given how many other Moffatisms I strenuously object to and would love to see discarded, I'm not sure I can. :?

Its more than the confirmation that such changes can happen, though. The show's been toying with the idea for a long time, since even before Moffat took charge.

Off the top of my head:

-Jenny, the Doctor's female clone. Biologically, at least, she basically is a female Doctor (and also perhaps the new series' single biggest example of wasted potential, other than perhaps the conclusion of the Time War/Gallifrey arc in Hell Bent being turned into a love letter to Clara).

-The Doctor/Donna hybrid thing in "Journey's End".

-Eleven initially thinking he'd regenerated as a girl.

-The toying with Clara as a female counterpart to the Doctor (including her pretending to be the Doctor at one point).

And personally, I tended to see Missy as basically a trial run for a female Doctor, to see how the audience would react to gender-switching a major, long-established character.

The concern about it being done well is well-founded, though, at least under Moffat. He tends to write all his major female characters the same way, as flirty, amoral/psychopathic fast-talkers with special powers.

And I don't trust most writers (or at least most male writers) not to take the opportunity to reduce the Doctor to the butt of cheap jokes and/or fan service.

Or they might use it for clumsy, ham-fisted speechifying full of what TV Tropes calls "unfortunate implications" (I don't automatically object to "message" episodes, but I don't think Doctor Who has handled them very well in recent years).

Or, hell, all of the above.

Maybe things will be different with Moffat gone, but without a more thorough overhaul of the writing staff... yeah, I don't know.

I just hope they don't leave it (because with this show, it almost has to happen sooner or later) until the show is on its last legs, throw it out as a ratings stunt, and then when the show fails anyway, blame it on having a female Doctor. I'd like to think we're past that sort of stupidity, but I don't think we are.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

My biggest worry with a female Doctor is that she'll be written as "the Female Doctor" rather than "The Doctor as played by a woman" which is a different thing entirely. In other words, I'm worried that what in any other character would be a trait will become the defining trait, like how Janeway was written as "the female Captain."

Though, frankly, if they're a good actor/actress and there is at least decent and consistent writing, I likely won't care once the first couple of episodes are done.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, my sense is that the Doctor should just be the Doctor: an old eccentric adventurer who just wants to travel the universe, but who's conscience, or circumstances, force him into taking on the burden of solving the problems he encounters, and who is sometime tempted to cross moral lines in pursuit of the greater good. Someone with charm, or at least personality, and a distinctive style.

Find a good actor to play that, someone who can give it their own unique persona or spin, and you're good to go.

Edit: That's not to say that his/her gender would have no effect on how he interacts with the world, or especially, how others interact with him/her. But at the end of the day, the Doctor is the Doctor.

I do want to emphasize one more point though: Every Doctor should be something new. I don't want Ten back, or Eleven, or whatever. Nor do I want "another Ten", or "another Eleven", or whatever. Doctor Who thrives on constantly reinventing itself. If anything, one of my main criticisms of the series is that it doesn't take advantage of its premise to stray outside the box enough.

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

And it's.... Jodie Whittaker. She was good when beating up the killer apes from space in Attack the Block.(with John Boyega)
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I did not expect a woman at all, and especially not her. Holy shit.
Dartzap wrote: 2017-07-16 11:49am And it's.... Jodie Whittaker. She was good when beating up the killer apes from space in Attack the Block.(with John Boyega)
And she was great in Broadchurch, where I remember her from.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Well let's hope that "female Doctor" goes down better than "female Ghostbuster."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Cool. Now everyone can shut up with the endless speculation and agonising debate...oh who am I kidding.

Moderately excited, will reserve judgement until I've actually seen her in an episode.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Huh. Well looks like TRR was right and I was wrong.

Hope it goes well.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Hmm interesting. I would have thought they would go for an older female Doctor.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I have "endured" eight prior regenerations of the Doctor so far, with trepidation for each and every one.

Much depends on how the writing is done. For example, I though the treatment of Kate Stewart was largely excellent. Really, her gender never mattered for that character, she could have be equally cast as a man with no or almost no change in the lines delivered by that character. If the new Doctor is treated in such a manner I believe all will be well.

In some ways, I was more concerned when Matt Smith was cast, I really had my doubts anyone that young could pull off a 900+ year old character but he did fine.

I do believe the fan base largely accepting Missy, in some cases with enthusiasm, made this change possible.

Still waiting for a ginger, though.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

I hope they lean in and introduce an intersex or trans companion. With the main character having gender bended they can really use the platform to help some kids out who could use the help.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

FireNexus wrote: 2017-07-16 01:12pm I hope they lean in and introduce an intersex or trans companion. With the main character having gender bended they can really use the platform to help some kids out who could use the help.
I'm not sure they can find that many intersex actor/actress currently in the business. Finding one that has the right chemistry with the new Doctor, right fit for a wacky sci-fi show and be willing to work in a rather demanding schedule will be extremely tough.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Plus the fact that with the Doctor regenerating into a woman, they effectively are a trans character at this point. Trying to stick human genders onto an alien species is problematic at best.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

And it's not like Doctor Who is really the best platform for a transperson's identity to be explored to most of its stories. The majority of the show is about traveling to alien planets or the future as opposed to exploring the society of 21st century Britain. There's barely any time to even explore the notion of gender with characters running from the monster of the week.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

How about we see how a female Doctor plays out, and concentrate on her being the Doctor rather than turning the show into nothing more than a social/political/cause of the day platform?

Sure, the question(s) will come up, but I'm hoping they keep it to just one or two episodes amongst many, rather than season-long arcs about angst.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I'm more curious who is going to be her companion. I really, really hope they stay away from romance-based companions.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Well, holy shit. They actually went there! Hell, why not?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Oh, if the 9th and 13th Doctor ever meet:

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

"A woman Doctor, what an age..."
Broomstick wrote: 2017-07-16 01:04pmMuch depends on how the writing is done. For example, I though the treatment of Kate Stewart was largely excellent. Really, her gender never mattered for that character, she could have be equally cast as a man with no or almost no change in the lines delivered by that character. If the new Doctor is treated in such a manner I believe all will be well.
I'm in the same boat. Though I only watched the show seriously during Eccleston's and Tennant's run, there's only been a few choice times he's been all that.... masculine, I guess.

His (or her, now) general irreverent antics combined with flashes of seriousness isn't exactly a gender specific thing. This is provided the writing is any good when there isn't a Y chromosome around. Honestly, Dr. Who's track record with writing for women seems a lot more sketchy than with men. So, I'm on the fence. I don't get the feeling the writers are..... "maliciously" sexist or anything (though I could be wrong), but more like they don't generally try to hard to separate a women from her gender and just write an interesting character. As said by others, this leads to "Female character" rather than "a character who is also female."

That said, an emphasis on "man with boobs" wouldn't actually be a turn off for me in this instance.
In some ways, I was more concerned when Matt Smith was cast, I really had my doubts anyone that young could pull off a 900+ year old character but he did fine.
I was annoyed with him at first, then I came to my own conclusion he just didn't mesh well with Karen Gillan and the writing concerning her/them. The premise of their relationship from the start was novel, but was hampered by this. Meh, what do I know?

I thought Smith worked a whole lot better solo/with randoms of the week or with nearly any other female actress, especially Kingston.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Interesting. Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out (even though we will have to wait a few more months).
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery