Is this a new trend?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Is this a new trend?

Post by Gurgeh »

When did Lazers stop becomming cool in science fiction? Lately all the new science fiction movies/shows that I see in the Early 21st century and the Late 20th century have for some reason stoped using Lazer or energy weaponry and started to move to projectile based weaponry. Why is that? Here are some shows/movies/games that have Projectile based weaponry instead of Lazers:
1. Starcraft
2. Halo
3. NBSG
4. Falling Skies
5. Aliens
6. W40K
7.Stargate
And that is it for now. What is with the sudden change of the weapons?
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Re: Is this a new trend?

Post by Norade »

Earth001 wrote:When did Lazers stop becomming cool in science fiction? Lately all the new science fiction movies/shows that I see in the Early 21st century and the Late 20th century have for some reason stoped using Lazer or energy weaponry and started to move to projectile based weaponry. Why is that? Here are some shows/movies/games that have Projectile based weaponry instead of Lazers:
1. Starcraft
2. Halo
3. NBSG
4. Falling Skies
5. Aliens
6. W40K
7.Stargate
1. SCII has a few units with lasers.
2. Halo has the Spartan laser as well as sentinel beams which are some form of pure energy weapon.
6. Lasguns and lances ring a bell?
7. They use energy weapons a fair bit.

So over half of your starting idea is wrong already.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

In general, I would say because people expect more realism from their sci-fi, so hand held lasers are not as 'believable'... However, to go through those in your list that I know:
2. Halo
There is the spartan laser, and all the alien guns. Humans use projectile guns though, because its not massively far future.
3. NBSG
... Makes the analogy's better? Also, you can have visible projectiles in space :)
5. Aliens
.... Aren't the marines rifles technically a form of plasma gun?...
6. W40K
What the fuck? Lasguns? Lascannons? Lance batteries? Where are you seeing anything but a preponderance of laser goodness...

ETA: Ninja'd on a coupla things.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

I may have meant that the Human side uses more lazers not the Aliens side or anything. But I am just saying that I see that more sci fi shows are starting for projectile based weaponry than lazers. I imagine the day that George Lucas re imagines Star Wars with Projectile based weaponry.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Well, isn't falling skies modern day?

Where is all this proof that you speak of, of the changing trend?
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

It's more a case of human societies or factions in scifi using projectile weapons--it's still common for aliens to be using pew weapons, as in Halo, Starcraft, Doctor Who, etc. Hell, even in Firefly they had an energy weapon at some point IIRC.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Earth001 wrote:When did Lazers stop becomming cool in science fiction? Lately all the new science fiction movies/shows that I see in the Early 21st century and the Late 20th century have for some reason stoped using Lazer or energy weaponry and started to move to projectile based weaponry. Why is that? Here are some shows/movies/games that have Projectile based weaponry instead of Lazers:
1. Starcraft
2. Halo
3. NBSG
4. Falling Skies
5. Aliens
6. W40K
7.Stargate
The very simple answer is that, to the layperson, progress in lasers has been disappointing. They've gone from being a mysterious, and expensive, boondoggle confined to laboratories to something that you use to distract the family cat from tearing up your favorite couch. Pew-pew murder-die-kill rayguns are still out into the future somewhere. Also, rayguns and laser beams now have a deep-set association with the campy pulp sci-fi of the days of yore. There is a contemporary move towards 'hard' sci-fi and sci-fi the everyman can identify with. Want to look old-fashioned and 'soft'? Have your characters whip out a raygun. Want to earn 'hard' sci-fi cred? Have your characters whip out a space Glock.

Of course, there is also the little fact that; on the other hand, throwing shit at your enemies at very high velocities still works very, very well.

Eventually, I expect that the invasion of arty grimdark writers will abandon sci-fi for something more profitable, like sparkly Mormon vampires. Then you'll slowly start to see more rayguns in sci-fi again.
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote: Of course, there is also the little fact that; on the other hand, throwing shit at your enemies at very high velocities still works
Also, you can do "cool" slow-motion shots with projectile weapons; it's less effective done less often with lasers and energy weapons.

In addition, with the rise of 3D cinema, I expect a (small) corresponding increase in the use of projectiles so they can fly out of the screen at the user. Lasers do not lend themselves to this effect.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

barnest2 wrote:In general, I would say because people expect more realism from their sci-fi, so hand held lasers are not as 'believable'...
While that may be true, the real reason is probably that projectile weapons are cooler in a grimdark way that has been popular during the last ten years, whereas 'pew pew' weapons are now viewed as old-fashioned and overly nerdy. I am fairly certain this trend was started by no other than Aliens, but it took more than a decade for it to reach full bloom. Stargate certainly contributed to its increasing popularity as well (despite not being grimdark), since it repeatedly pitted humans with projectile weapons against enemies with energy weapons with the former coming on top in many occasions.

In other words, I pretty much agree with GrandMasterTerwynn, although I don't think it has anyhing to do with real world lasers being somewhat of a disappointment as weapons.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

OSF is dead and this post is why.

I really don't think public perception of lasers as DISAPPOINTING has anything to do with it. DW has lasers a fucking plenty, so maybe it's just poor widdle America and their cultural scars from neverending warfare. The specific settings that lack energy weapons are consciously more primitive; the new Star Trek universe is wall-to-wall lasers, every game set in space is chockers with lasers, shooters still have lasers as top-tier weapons if they're scifi, etc. I don't think this 'trend' even exists.
BlissAuthority
Redshirt

Post by BlissAuthority »

Earth001 wrote:When did Lazers stop becomming cool in science fiction?
They haven't. Lasers have just become rare, but powerful, weapons. Halo in particular has the Spartan Laser, which is a very powerful weapon; it's just very uncommon because it's a new technology, in universe.

Oh, and it's "Laser." An acronym for "Light Amplification via Stimulated Emission of Radiation." Spelling it with a Z is incorrect. This is one of the things that gets me into Hermione-Level Pedantry Mode real fast.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Thank you. That really gets on my nerves too. It's not like laser is such a hard word to spell properly.

And I don't see how ray guns (given that actual lasers have been far and few between in visual SciFi no matter what they decided to call them) have gone out of fashion all that much. Pretty much every iteration of Star Trek has them. Wars continues to do so. B5. Stargate had them aplenty, it's just that the Tau'ri for a long time didn't have the technology (and guess what they got when they finally had the technology? Asgard beam weapons anyone?)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

Earth001 wrote:When did Lasers stop becomming cool in science fiction? Lately all the new science fiction movies/shows that I see in the Early 21st century and the Late 20th century have for some reason stoped using Laser or
energy weaponry and started to move to projectile based weaponry. Why is that? Here are some shows/movies/games that have Projectile based weaponry instead of Lasers
1. Starcraft
2. Halo
3. NBSG
4. Falling Skies
5. Aliens
6. W40K
7.Stargate
Fixed
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

you haven't fixed it - half of your examples are still wrong :D
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

madd0ct0r wrote:you haven't fixed it - half of your examples are still wrong :D
He absolutely did fix his spelling, you have to admit that, and since Earth never elaborated on what it was he fixed... :P
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

I spelled laser like lazer
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

BlissAuthority wrote:Oh, and it's "Laser." An acronym for "Light Amplification via Stimulated Emission of Radiation." Spelling it with a Z is incorrect. This is one of the things that gets me into Hermione-Level Pedantry Mode real fast.
They're two different things. Lasers travel at the speed of light, are only visible when travelling through a non-transparent medium, and are good for eye surgery and entertaining your cat. Lazers are big glowy globs that are plainly visible, travel slower than a bullet and make things go boom.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:lol: Good point.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Replacing futuristic weapons with clones of real world weapons is part of the whole idea of selling "human drama" rather than science fiction to garner a wider audience.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

I do think there's something of a trend against "ray guns". I think a major reason why is simply increasing distance in time from Star Wars; it was so widely copied in so many ways that it had something of the effect on visual sci-fi that Tolkien did on fantasy (although not quite as strong). Visual sci-fi used guns shooting slow glowy bolts the same way fantasy books were full of elves and dwarfs and Dark Lords. I think another reason is an increased willingness to show blood and injuries, instead of just making a character glow then disintegrate/fall over when hit.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

LASERs were futuristic and only vaguely defined in the minds of the audiences of the past. Nowadays almost everyone has seen a LASER being used in real life. LASER- pointers, rangefinders, even fucking levels use them nowadays. At the same time, military applications have failed time and again and video of their tests is visually underwhelming. So yeah, I can't see why LASERs went out of style, at all. :roll:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

For me it comes down to believability. Firefly did it really well. In Firefly lasers are possible but are hideously expensive compared to projectile weapons, this in turn made laser weaponary rare.

If you are a incharge to equiping an army are you going to go with cheap and effective or expensive and does the same thing as the cheap option?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Halo is not a universe where lasers are rare, since every technicolored space gremlinoid that goes SQUAWK SQUAWK is armed with a pew-pew gun that shoots lasers or what have you. The humans may not have much lasers, but those ridiculous Haloids have energy weapons aplenty.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
keen320
Youngling

Post by keen320 »

Stark wrote:OSF is dead and this post is why.
Um, what does OSF mean? And is there any kind of guide to acronyms for this site? Because clearly I still have more to learn.