Macross F (Frontier) information and preview video.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Re: Macross F (Frontier) information and preview video.

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

I'm still waiting on Lunar because for some reason gg's encodes always choke my computer ever since they started doing their HD releases. Lame.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

We're not supposed to talk about fansubs on this BBS. Get back to talking about the space kangaroos and Ranka's cel phone.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

VF5SS wrote:We're not supposed to talk about fansubs on this BBS. Get back to talking about the space kangaroos and Ranka's cel phone.
Hrm, might Macross be an exception, seeing as it will never, ever be licensed in the US?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

phongn wrote:
VF5SS wrote:We're not supposed to talk about fansubs on this BBS. Get back to talking about the space kangaroos and Ranka's cel phone.
Hrm, might Macross be an exception, seeing as it will never, ever be licensed in the US?
I'd say the chances of Frontier being licensed in the US are about as likely as Palin pronouncing "Nuclear" properly.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It might be better safe than sorry though, even though I can't see where the board or it's admins could get in trouble for people discussing the technical merits of one translation group over another, as no copyright matieral is being shared or provided.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

So, finally saw it. Fucking awesome. While I liked how they ended the main love story, what about Nanase and Luca? All we saw of that was Luca running down a corridor as she wakes up. I guess that'll be followed up in the movie.

Sort of bugged me how OH SHIT VAJRA EVERYWHERE EVEN ON EARTH was forgotten totally. Would've been nice to have a few shots of NUNS fighting them there.

I loved the bit with Alto steering his VF with his hand, as well as using Michel's gunpod. Very cool.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

yeah. The earth invasion really bothered me too.

Doesn't Macross Plus show that Earth has a ridiculously intricate defensive network of laser satellites and grand cannons?

The Vajira wouldn't last five seconds in a direct assault on Earth.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I just saw the last episode. Damn.

I have to admit there were moments where I really wasn't sure about the series, but it ended pretty fucking well.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Haha, it wasn't until the second I watched it that it clicked that the fighters Galaxy launched where same as the ones from Plus. That's awesome.

The shades of DYRL in Ranka's little speech about Aimo didn't hit me till the second time either. No idea how I missed that, it's incredibly obvious. At least there wasn't anything like Minmei's incredibly creepy chanting of "One, two, three, four..." over and over.

With the Vajra's assault on earth, I suppose it's possible they defolded inside the earth's perimiter. Or maybe the reason we didn't see any more of their attack is just because moments afterwards they were sliced to pieces. :lol:
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Darksider wrote:yeah. The earth invasion really bothered me too.

Doesn't Macross Plus show that Earth has a ridiculously intricate defensive network of laser satellites and grand cannons?

The Vajira wouldn't last five seconds in a direct assault on Earth.
Not necessarily. The Vajra already proved capable of adapting to a good chunk of the Frontier's weaponry. If Earth's weapon systems are anything like what Frontier has, they'd already be largely impervious. It's also possible they just de-folded inside the defense perimeter.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

General Zod wrote: Not necessarily. The Vajra already proved capable of adapting to a good chunk of the Frontier's weaponry. If Earth's weapon systems are anything like what Frontier has, they'd already be largely impervious. It's also possible they just de-folded inside the defense perimeter.

There is a limit to what the Vajira can adapt to. They can't make themselves invulnerable to all weaponry, witness the fact that the Frontier fleets forces could still kill them even after they adapted to the anti-vss rounds. The sheer firepower arrayed against them (earth's defense grid was implied to be massive, designed to hold off another 5 million+ zentradi fleet) would mean their "adaptation" wouldn't count for shit.

The latter option is far more likely, given the fact that the defolds were visible in the sky, and the Vajira's advanced fold-drive technology. Any Vajira fleet attempting to assault earth directly would likely be stomped flat, but anything they get inside the atmosphere would be difficult do destroy.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Yeah, we see in Plus that the Earth defense system is extensive (though practically useless :wink:), but there were an awful lot of Vajra.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ford Prefect wrote:Yeah, we see in Plus that the Earth defense system is extensive (though practically useless :wink:), but there were an awful lot of Vajra.
To be fair, Isamu had character shields out the ass and an hacker capable of breaking military code working for him. ;)
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Ford Prefect wrote:Yeah, we see in Plus that the Earth defense system is extensive (though practically useless :wink:), but there were an awful lot of Vajra.
you know what? There were a ton of Vajira warshipd de-folding in that scene, but only a few fighters were visible at the end when they left, perhaps the Earth defense grid isn't as useless as you think.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Of course it isn't useless, I was making a joke. I even put a smiley there and everything.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Ford Prefect wrote:Of course it isn't useless, I was making a joke. I even put a smiley there and everything.
Still, i'd pay good money to see an all out vajira assault on earth getting smacked down by the defense grid. The final battle in episode 25 was pretty awsome, but it seemed too one sided. Only one vajira ship got wasted on screen (although the success of the initial blitz with the dimension cutter warheads likely destroyed alot more) vs. about two dozen U.N. spacy warships.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

I'm still pleasantly shocked that they managed to avoid killing Luca Angeloni-kun.

Yes, I'm still traumatized from the graphic death of Other Cute Shotaro Boy Nicol Amalfi in Gundam Seed.

Yeah, and I just realized they've both got Italian names. huh.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darwin wrote:I'm still pleasantly shocked that they managed to avoid killing Luca Angeloni-kun.
If they did, there would have been an ambiguous scene in the finale that might indicate he was alive. Haycarts would have been involved.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

There were people(I had a foot in this camp) who believed Micheal would return in the finale. In the end, his figurative spirit manifested in the form of his would-be girlfriend flying his old plane. NEVAH FORGET.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Man, that scene of Alto grabbing Michel's sniper rifle, clutching it to to his chest, and tenderly uttering Michel's name is probably the best postmortem yaoi bait I have ever seen. Even more so than Tieria crying for Lockon Stratos. Turns out the love triangle was another fake-out and the real one was Klan-Alto-Michel.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

That's why the girls need to get with the polyamorous pansexual program. Image
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Didn't Sea Slugs call out Alto as getting close to Sheryl only for the opportunity to steal her earrings, having convinced himself that they would suit him better?

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

It's a good thing Alto has pierced ears or that touching scene would have been very bloody. That was a pretty hefty earring too. How could he even fit it in his helmet? Beautiful blue locks sure, but a fold crystal on your ear? Preposterous. And poor Mr. Bilrer. All he wanted to do was find Megaroad-01. I suppose we all do and that's why it's never going to happen.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Wait, so you're saying Bilrer was another example of Kawamori trolling the fans, like how we never saw Battle Frontier or Battle Galaxy transform?("complain about M7, will you!?")

Makes sense to me.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

tim31 wrote:There were people(I had a foot in this camp) who believed Micheal would return in the finale. In the end, his figurative spirit manifested in the form of his would-be girlfriend flying his old plane. NEVAH FORGET.
Michael got a Really Dead Montage in the final episode after having been Impaled with Extreme Prejudice and Thrown Out the Airlock so we're gonna call that Really Dead. :(