Yuzzhan Vong vs. the Imperium of Man

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Aw jeez. After reading that NJO summary, I suddenly want someone to do a "Snake and the Dragon" style fic, only with the Vong and the Imperium.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Yet another thing to consider:

With the warp suddenly stabilized by the sudden departure of the Chaos Gods, the Emperor is now free to directly intervene, rather than sneak in the odd warp storm and inspire some Saints.

Human psykers also suddenly become massively more powerful, as they can now freely channel warp energy without the risk of chaos taint, daemonic possession, or warp-turbulence giving them an aneurysm. They would almost rival the Eldar pre-Fall (a civilization where psychically-charged melee weapons were sufficient to assrape the Necrons).
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ah, no. The Necrons were winning, though the Eldar did have a few victories; the Nightbringer then stepped in and attacked Khaine himself IIRC. I may be wrong on that, though, so I won't stand on it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Elheru Aran wrote:Ah, no. The Necrons were winning, though the Eldar did have a few victories; the Nightbringer then stepped in and attacked Khaine himself IIRC. I may be wrong on that, though, so I won't stand on it.
Yes, and Khaine beat the Nightbringer, changing Khaine for good in the process.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Hm, I think I mixed that up with Khaine against Slaneesh... in that case ignore my post.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Matt Huang wrote:Yet another thing to consider:

With the warp suddenly stabilized by the sudden departure of the Chaos Gods, the Emperor is now free to directly intervene, rather than sneak in the odd warp storm and inspire some Saints.

Human psykers also suddenly become massively more powerful, as they can now freely channel warp energy without the risk of chaos taint, daemonic possession, or warp-turbulence giving them an aneurysm. They would almost rival the Eldar pre-Fall (a civilization where psychically-charged melee weapons were sufficient to assrape the Necrons).
Wouldn't that also mean that space marine teleporters just became 1000 times better as well? With no warp to interfere, chances of a mishap seem to have just dropped drastically.

I admit I know nothing of the Vong so please bear with me.

Could warp based teleporters go through Vong shields? If so, how would they fair if terminator squads started to materialize onto the bridges or engineering sections of their ships?
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Yeah, it was Slaanesh who killed Khaine. The Avatar bits in each Craftworld is all that's left of him.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Azazal wrote: Could warp based teleporters go through Vong shields? If so, how would they fair if terminator squads started to materialize onto the bridges or engineering sections of their ships?
Don't know about the first, but if it does work, the Vong are fucked. Hard. Up their anatomical equivalent of an asshole. Without lube. A Space Marine in Terminator armour isn't too dissimilar to a Spacetrooper in SW, more powerful probably; the Vong are strongly melee-based in combat (at least I don't remember them having any infantry weapons aside from the amphistaff), and that is precisely what Terminators are made for.

Commence much Vong-smashing....
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Azazal wrote: Could warp based teleporters go through Vong shields? If so, how would they fair if terminator squads started to materialize onto the bridges or engineering sections of their ships?
Don't know about the first, but if it does work, the Vong are fucked. Hard. Up their anatomical equivalent of an asshole. Without lube. A Space Marine in Terminator armour isn't too dissimilar to a Spacetrooper in SW, more powerful probably; the Vong are strongly melee-based in combat (at least I don't remember them having any infantry weapons aside from the amphistaff), and that is precisely what Terminators are made for.

Strong melee base and poor ranged you say...... So that squad of termies with 2 assault cannons laying down the smack while the assault squad with lightning claws/thunder hammer moves in for the kill would be a bad thing, from the Vong POV. Good to know.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Azazal wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:

Strong melee base and poor ranged you say...... So that squad of termies with 2 assault cannons laying down the smack while the assault squad with lightning claws/thunder hammer moves in for the kill would be a bad thing, from the Vong POV. Good to know.
Very bad indeed. You'd basically have a big ol' human wave of Vong coming at the Termies while they stand there and just open fire. Hell, with their bioships, I wouldn't be surprised if they just shot through the bulkheads kinda accident-like... and with decompression, bye go the Vong. Ain't it a great thing Space Marine armour is space-capable? :D
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Vong are another species with living ships, correct?
How big?
Yes assault Cannons would be nasty, Heavy Flamers however....
:twisted:
Space Marine tourcher squads.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

If Vong ships are alive wouldnt that exterminatus bioweapon also work on them? The one that turns whole planet surfaces into seas of flamable black goo. Considering all their technology is organic and the virus bombs tend to fuck organic materials rather royally.
Kanye West Saves.

Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Such is the price these Xenos pay for turning from the wisdom of the Machine God!
/COGGIE]
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:If Vong ships are alive wouldnt that exterminatus bioweapon also work on them? The one that turns whole planet surfaces into seas of flamable black goo. Considering all their technology is organic and the virus bombs tend to fuck organic materials rather royally.
Don't even need that, use hellfire ammo - the Wikipedia description is pretty good.
Hellfire Rounds; have devastating results on organic matter, the rounds were developed to fight the Tyranids. The core and tip are replaced with a mutagenic acid vial contained in thousands of needles that chemically eats the target away
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Aw crap, :oops: My mistake then.

This was explained in the first Gaunts Ghosts novel? I still havent found that one. Anywho, my bad.
Actually, it's explained in The Sabbat Worlds Crusade, which includes a lot of other information, such as a detailed description of the assault on Balhaut, and a couple of demonstrations of SM uberness.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Lost Soal wrote:
Wanderer wrote: Further, the Vong will have no presence in the Warp or the Force. Pyskers will not be able to mind rape them. Instead Psykers will be running from them like they do from Culexis assassins. So this is the Imperium Fleet and ground forces slugfest.
You will of course explain how this is true won't you. Or have you just made it up?
I've said this before, I'll say it again.
It takes more than having "no presence" in the warp to get the soulless effect of Culexis and Pahrias. They don't just have "no presence" they have a negative presence. Sort of like mental anti-matter.
How do I justify this assessment. Simple.
Psykers do not run screaming from Steel, Plastic, Adamantium or any other inurt material which, not being alive, have no presence in the warp.
Even the Tau which don't get currupted by Chaos easily, although Fire Warrior shows that they can be manipulated and affected, they still get smacked senceless if a psyker targets them.
Codex Witch Hunter pg 30 wrote: The assassins that form the Culexus Temple are chosen because, or appear to have, no presence in the Warp, there is just a void. they are to all intents and purposes, soulless.

The Assassin wears a huge helm called an Animus Speculum. During battle this is used to fire focussed blasts of negative pyschic energy, but its primary focus is to block out the Culexus Assassin's innate abilities. The Helm is only partially effective even while it is active, and most people can barely stand to be in the same room with such a creature.
Didn't know about the Tau. Can you give me the book, so that I can read for myself.

Yammosks which can drive even a Jedi mad with its mental abilities. If there is anything similiar to a Culexus, this is it. Getting close to it if your not Yuuzhan Vong is not pleasant, or advisable. Of course this leaves aside the fact the Yuuzhan Vong were able to make the Jedis lives miserable and unable to use their full potential against them.

But in the interest of moving on, I'll concede the Yuuzhan Vong are like the Tau. The Yammosk though, we shall see.

Its coordinating abilities are spectactular and they became immediate targets by New Republic forces in order to break the coherency of the Vong.
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Azazal wrote:
Could warp based teleporters go through Vong shields? If so, how would they fair if terminator squads started to materialize onto the bridges or engineering sections of their ships?
Vong don't have shields. They use Dovin Basals for that.

An Imperium ship must close the range to a Yuuzhan Vong ship while constantly under fire by weapons that can blow a Star Wars ship apart. A better tactic would be to let the Vong invade a planet, then teleport aboard and let the beautiful flames of purification fly :twisted:

Dunno about Virus Bombs, assumes they can penetrate the Dovin Basal defense which is quite good. Instead lure them to planets.
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:If Vong ships are alive wouldnt that exterminatus bioweapon also work on them? The one that turns whole planet surfaces into seas of flamable black goo. Considering all their technology is organic and the virus bombs tend to fuck organic materials rather royally.
Deploying such expensive weapons one-per-ship is beyond the imperium's abililty.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Using virus bombs against the vital Vong 'worldships' (thats what they called them IIRC) would be quite useful.

Anyway, as Azazal mentioned hellfire rounds would be better.
Kanye West Saves.

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Restating: Would it be possible to use IoM Psykerwank against a biological ship not protected against an attack (ie: The Hive Mind)?
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Falkenhayn wrote:Restating: Would it be possible to use IoM Psykerwank against a biological ship not protected against an attack (ie: The Hive Mind)?
I don't see why not. IoM psykerwank can damage non-organic matter easily enough. (Psychically) unshielded organic matter shouldn't be much different, especially with several of the chaos-related barriers that limit the power psykers can channel removed.

Hell, you'd probably see warp-storms erupt into realspace and rip the Vong to shreds right off the bat, since the Emperor wouldn't be preoccupied with fighting the chaos gods tooth and nail.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Didn't know about the Tau. Can you give me the book, so that I can read for myself.
The novels called Fire Warrior by Simon Spurrier.
And that means?
To me, bugger all.

Ivanova is always right.

Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Lost Soal wrote:
And that means?
To me, bugger all.
Rather than have something that is easily quantifiable, the Vong use a system of mini-black holes generated by creatures called Dovin Basals for propulsion and shielding. However, while the black holes appear to be able to soak up energy in the form of firepower with ease, they can only provide partial coverage for a Vong vessel.

This was discovered at some point by the New Republic, which then adopted a strategy of counterintuitively spreading out their fire across the area of a Vong warship, ensuring that at least some of their shots got through and hit the ship.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Matt Huang wrote: Rather than have something that is easily quantifiable, the Vong use a system of mini-black holes generated by creatures called Dovin Basals for propulsion and shielding. However, while the black holes appear to be able to soak up energy in the form of firepower with ease, they can only provide partial coverage for a Vong vessel.

This was discovered at some point by the New Republic, which then adopted a strategy of counterintuitively spreading out their fire across the area of a Vong warship, ensuring that at least some of their shots got through and hit the ship.

To me that sounds like they would do diddly-shit against teleport attacks then. I don't recall 40K teleporters being effected by anything but warp currents. So unless it can be proved that Vong can effect the warp, hello teleporting marines
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Wanderer wrote: Yammosks which can drive even a Jedi mad with its mental abilities. If there is anything similiar to a Culexus, this is it. Getting close to it if your not Yuuzhan Vong is not pleasant, or advisable. Of course this leaves aside the fact the Yuuzhan Vong were able to make the Jedis lives miserable and unable to use their full potential against them.
Actually, Yammosk psychic abilities--and the fact they can communicate with and coordinate the Yuuzhan Vong--suggests that the Vong are indeed susceptible to at least some psychic powers.

And while the Yammosk abilities were quite impressive, in terms of being able to coordinate diverse units in combat, they lack some of the more...unsubtle capabilities of Warhammer 40k psychers.

Personally, I can't wait to see the Vong reaction to combat servitors.

Especially once a few dozen Vong get captured and handed over to the Adeptus Mechanicus for, ahem, minor modifications.

Imagine the Vong reaction to a combat servitor with its head left just enough intact to be recognizably Vong and the rest of the body modified. The Vong had shit-fits over Luke Skywalker's mechanical hand. A Vong servitor would probably drive what little grasp of tactics they ever had right out the window.