Favorite Sci-fi Moments

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Favorite Sci-fi Moments

Post by Tribble »

Chimaera wrote:The Thing (1982) : "You gotta be fuckin' kiddin' me..."
Which is made even more epic when you realise that Palmer was a Thing by that point and basically sold the head out to maintain cover. "You bastard!"
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Tribble wrote:
Which is made even more epic when you realise that Palmer was a Thing by that point and basically sold the head out to maintain cover. "You bastard!"
:shock: ...Whoa, you just blew my frigging mind. I'd never noticed that until now!
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

For me it was when the dog stalks into a room and you see a silhouette look up. Later the dog turns out to be a Thing, gets destroyed, then you realise that whoever it was is now a Thing ..... but you have no idea who it was.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The Thing (1951) - When they spread out and discover that they have a flying saucer in the ice. And in the 1982 version, nice homage to the original when they show video of the Norwegians doing the same thing.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

From The Last Starfighter:

"We're locked into the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?"
Bzzzt.
"We die"
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

From Galaxy Quest:

"How pathetic, the actors are going to play war with me!"
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:From Galaxy Quest:

"How pathetic, the actors are going to play war with me!"
Ah, Galaxy Quest...when the piss-take of Star Trek was better than anything the real franchise was putting out at the time...that's when you need to worry. :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

"It's a ROCK, it doesn't have any weak spots!!!"

"Look around you. Do you see anything you can use to construct a rudimentary lathe?"
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Also, this:

"Okey-dokey" :mrgreen:

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Gods, Galaxy quest! That film was sheer joy, start to finish.

I'm not sure of my favourite bit... maybe of the shuttle hatch: "Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there AIR?! You don't know!"

I just love Sam Rockwell in this. I think he's utterly terrified by everything because he's actually thinking about their situation - the actors don't seem to have a great deal of imagination.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

“We’ve got to get out of here before one of those things kills Guy!” He has good reason to be thinking about it, given everyone is convinced he'll get waxed before it's over.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

"Nobody knows. Do you know why? Because my character isn't important enough for a last name, because I'm gonna die five minutes in."
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

From Warhammer 40K, when I managed to use that utter bastard Creed to sneak a Baneblade super-heavy tank right behind a large Ork horde. My opponent was less than pleased.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Well to bring in 40K then Alaric's frankly awesome speech from Grey Knight gives me goosebumps

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial -carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."

And in Gaunt's Ghosts : Sabbat Matyr

Nineteenth [Platoon] lasted seventeen minutes from the time the gates closed. They accounted for one-hundred and eighty nine enemy casualties. No one witnessed their heroism.
Death Zebra
Redshirt

Post by Death Zebra »

SW:KotoR:

"I am invincible!".
Telling someone his missing son "is a kinrath chew toy.".
Saying "Kill them all!" when you're meant to be mediating for peace.
Attempting to lie to the Jedi Council even though Bastilla is there to correct you.

Stargate

The Oddysey destroying an Ori ship in "Unending.".
Apophis: "May your reign last days, and your death last years."
"There was also a scene later in the film where some big guy was beating a chained up woman and then walked up some stairs. It turns out he was leaving the room and not, as I thought, to get to a high place from which to perform a flying elbow drop." - Death Zebra on Martyrs
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

We just finished up B5 season 4 and it went from an annoying scene to a great one.

The new president is deciding what to do with John Sheridan. Sheridan, the one real hero of the Earth/Minbari war. The man who took down "Scorched Earth" Clark and restored some semblance of sanity to the Earth Alliance. The man who was about to sacrifice himself and his crew on a suicide run to blow up a weapons platform that would have wiped out the NA East-coast.

Let's talk shit to him, threaten that if he doesn't retire, you'll court-martial him and also allude that he'll be executed. The man who is there only because his honor demands he stand trial for his crimes. The man who is in charge of the fleet he put together that crushed all of Earth's defenses. The fleet that is sitting in orbit around Earth, right now. I get what she was trying to do, but why do B5 antagonists have to be such dicks about everything? It really irks me on a show that has such diverse and complicated characters.

However, Sheridan takes his retirement and the non-aligned aliens sideswipe the press conference and announce they are forming a new league based on mutual trust and technology sharing. And that the recently crushed Earth Alliance is welcome to join.

President: "Who do I negotiate entrance into this Alliance with? You?"
Delenn: "No, our president."
Cut scene to recently retired John Sheridan with his legs propped up on a table.

HA!
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Playing Halo for the first time, and in a quiet moment, looking at the horizon curve up into the distance, and up, and up ... and over and down again. :) I'd read about it, of course, in Ringworld and Consider Phlebas, but that game was one of the first times I remember seeing it.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:From Warhammer 40K, when I managed to use that utter bastard Creed to sneak a Baneblade super-heavy tank right behind a large Ork horde. My opponent was less than pleased.
*Table Flip*
"Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!"
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Highlord Laan wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:From Warhammer 40K, when I managed to use that utter bastard Creed to sneak a Baneblade super-heavy tank right behind a large Ork horde. My opponent was less than pleased.
*Table Flip*
"Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!"
That is precisely the noise the Ork player made. It was rather satisfying to see an internet meme in reality.

Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

From the lore side of 40k, one moment that always stands out for me comes from Brothers of the Snake:
Spoiler
Brother Priad pulling a Batman entrance on freaking Dark Eldar. I know a lot of people howl at the idea of a Space Marine being that fast, but it always made sense to me considering how powerful - and scarce - they're supposed to be.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Well, that's Movie Marines for you.
(Seriously- there was a semi- joke army list released, or maybe allowed to escape, that included rules for fluff accurate marines. you got one squad of ten for 1500pt. They were that good.)

I have very few television and film moments- although I will say yes, Wall-E, except most of it-

and for another one from print, Ch 37 of the book of 2001; a Space Odyssey.
Now the long wait was ending. On yet another world, intelligence had been born and was escaping from its' planetary cradle. An ancient experiment was about to reach its climax.
those who had begun that experiment, so long ago, had not been men- or even remotely human. But they were flesh and blood, and when they looked out across the deeps of space they had felt awe, and wonder, and loneliness. As soon as they possessed the power they set forth for the stars.
In their explorations they encountered life in many forms, and watched the workings of evolution on a thousand worlds. They saw how often the first faint sparks of intelligence flickered and died in the cosmic night.
And because, in all the Galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere. They became farmers in the fields of stars; they sowed, and sometimes they reaped.
And sometimes, dispassionately, they had to weed.
Now they were lords of the Galaxy, and beyond the reach of Time. They could rove at will amongst the stars, and sink like a subtle mist into the very interstices of space. But despite their godlike powers, they had not wholly forgotten their origin in the warm slime of a vanished sea.
And they still watched over the experiments their ancestors had started, so long ago.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

TheFeniX wrote:We just finished up B5 season 4 and it went from an annoying scene to a great one.

The new president is deciding what to do with John Sheridan. Sheridan, the one real hero of the Earth/Minbari war. The man who took down "Scorched Earth" Clark and restored some semblance of sanity to the Earth Alliance. The man who was about to sacrifice himself and his crew on a suicide run to blow up a weapons platform that would have wiped out the NA East-coast.

Let's talk shit to him, threaten that if he doesn't retire, you'll court-martial him and also allude that he'll be executed. The man who is there only because his honor demands he stand trial for his crimes. The man who is in charge of the fleet he put together that crushed all of Earth's defenses. The fleet that is sitting in orbit around Earth, right now. I get what she was trying to do, but why do B5 antagonists have to be such dicks about everything? It really irks me on a show that has such diverse and complicated characters.

However, Sheridan takes his retirement and the non-aligned aliens sideswipe the press conference and announce they are forming a new league based on mutual trust and technology sharing. And that the recently crushed Earth Alliance is welcome to join.

President: "Who do I negotiate entrance into this Alliance with? You?"
Delenn: "No, our president."
Cut scene to recently retired John Sheridan with his legs propped up on a table.

HA!
I've always found that Straczynski's writing for the human antagonists like Clark tend towards the ham-fisted approach, whereas the Londo-G'kar dynamic got all the best nuances to it.
Jedi Commisar
Youngling

Post by Jedi Commisar »

From the Wing Commader (Yes... and... so...) Whatshisname tricking the Kilrati Battleship into the unstable Jumpgate or the Confed fleet as it blasts the either Kilrati fleet as it goes through the gate

To Boldly Flee: Mekakara handing Zod his ass, Comcrone-1 showing up to save USS Exit Startagy, The Blue Photo Shell and the Nostalgia Critic punshing The Plot Hole
"We are the Borg. You will be annihilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness have become irrelevant. Resistance is futile...but welcome."

From the novel Greater than the Sum
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Wow. And here I thought 'DarthPooky' needed to work on his english.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jedi Commisar
Youngling

Post by Jedi Commisar »

Batman wrote:Wow. And here I thought 'DarthPooky' needed to work on his english.
I have dyprixa I am also not going to run all quick posts through a word prossesser before posting it
"We are the Borg. You will be annihilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness have become irrelevant. Resistance is futile...but welcome."

From the novel Greater than the Sum