Doctor Who S32E8, "Let's Kill Hitler" [spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate "Let's Kill Hitler?"

5/5
10%
4/5
32%
3/5
28%
2/5
17%
1/5
13%

Total votes: 69

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who S32E8, "Let's Kill Hitler" [spoilers]

Post by Stark »

Shame we didn't see what was promised back before Tennant left, then? The combination of Mary Sueness and an obvious opportunity to keep her around makes it hard for me to be optimistic about it. On the upside, if we actually see the last of her, all kinds of people will be able to watch the show again without their eyes rolling out of their head! :)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hillary wrote:I still reckon that this will be the last series containing River. We've seen the first meeting (from her PoV), the introduction of the diary, the explanation of her being able to fly the TARDIS better than the Doctor (and who 'the best' was) and how she sheds her regenerative powers. We know she was brainwashed by the Silence and how she loses that brainwashing. We also have the pretty big issue that if the Doctor resuces baby Melody, River is not the same person that we currently see.
You know, I was puzzled why we even needed an explanation for this. I seem to recall Forrest of the Dead specifically mentioning the cause of death as zapping too quickly for regeneration to happen anyway. One of the reasons River decides to do it instead of the Doctor.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Hillary wrote:I still reckon that this will be the last series containing River. We've seen the first meeting (from her PoV), the introduction of the diary, the explanation of her being able to fly the TARDIS better than the Doctor (and who 'the best' was) and how she sheds her regenerative powers. We know she was brainwashed by the Silence and how she loses that brainwashing. We also have the pretty big issue that if the Doctor resuces baby Melody, River is not the same person that we currently see.
You know, I was puzzled why we even needed an explanation for this. I seem to recall Forrest of the Dead specifically mentioning the cause of death as zapping too quickly for regeneration to happen anyway. One of the reasons River decides to do it instead of the Doctor.
Good point, well made.
What is WRONG with you people
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

They're not exactly doing a great job with River's continuity though. First she says the Doctor didn't teach her to fly the TARDIS because he was busy. Then in 'The Pandorica Opens' the Doctor tells her she is flying it wrong, and she says HE taught her how to fly it. Now it seems the TARDIS taught her how to fly itself. So which is it then?
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Is there some reason this can't be the explanation: She is initially taught by the TARDIS because the Doctor is busy dying in "Let's Kill Hitler". Later on, the Doctor attempts to refine her technique, and thus also teaches her to fly the TARDIS. Still later, River gets her own ideas on how it's done, thus resulting in her differing technique.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Having watched it a second time, in a room without any distractions (I was at my grandmothers the first time, the room was noisy) I'm going to take my score up to 3/5. It made much more sense this time around, and there was quite a lot to chew over in the episode, but it was still pretty rushed and confused. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.
And the tiny use of Hitler is still bordering on criminal. :roll:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Can we have some kind of mention about just how incompetent those "Time Cops" and the designers of that damn robot were?
First we have a crewmember going up to the eyeball "Have you upgraded your clearance?" "Yeah, no worries... Shit shit shit shit shit!"
Then we have them pre-planned beam Amy and Rory on board, and it's STILL a race to get them cleared in time before the defense systems wipe them out.
Then Amy shuts down their clearance bracelets, and the only response they have is an emergency bug-out?

I don't mind River Song. She would possibly do well more developed and in her own spin-off. A kind of time travelling Tomb Raider :lol:
The "Melody" retcon was unnecessary, and poorly done.

Finally, thank god for Rory. He's killed off that eternal sexual tension thing we'd been having since the start of NuWho that was grinding my teeth.

Enjoyed it, wasn't rivetted. Give it a 3.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I punched in "4", but I should've given this a "3". Watchable hokum along the lines of The Last Crusade and Family Guys's "Road to Germany", but just wasn't as good as "The Imposible Astronaut"-"The Day of the Moon". I don't hold much ire for River Song in of herself, but her storyline has taken on a life of its own and getting tangled in everything. I hope Steve knows what he's doing.

And where were Hitler's SS body guards and other staff after the TARDIS slammed into the frigging New Reich Chancellery's main office? Also they had too much time standing around in a swanky Berlin restaurant that River emptied at gunpoint (where were the Orpo cops and SA brownshirts rushing in to arrest them all, etc?).
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor