Tron Legacy: OMFG *Spoilers*

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Re: Tron Legacy: OMFG *Spoilers*

Post by Ryushikaze »

FSTargetDrone wrote:One gripe I had was that the transition to the Game World was too fast. Where was the laser zapping Sam into digital bits? I didn't expect to see a sequence just like the one Flynn experienced in the first movie, but there barely even a hint of it. All we saw was a weird stretchy effect and suddenly Sam is in a digital version of his father's arcade. Then, at the end, he's just standing next to the desk? Bah.

I agree on the first one, but on the way out was clearly a cut to later on, since that was nearly morning, and he was in the process of uploading the grid from the computer to the flash drive he puts on the keychain.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I saw it. It was fun and decent overall. The dialogue wasn't exactly great, but I wasn't expecting Shakespeare.

Was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a reference or flashback to the MCP, but eh. Just thought it would have been cool.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Srelex wrote:I saw it. It was fun and decent overall. The dialogue wasn't exactly great, but I wasn't expecting Shakespeare.

Was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a reference or flashback to the MCP, but eh. Just thought it would have been cool.
CLU said something to the effect of "End of line, dude" to Zeus before he blew up his bar.

That's the only one I can think of, though.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Srelex wrote:I saw it. It was fun and decent overall. The dialogue wasn't exactly great, but I wasn't expecting Shakespeare.

CLU said something to the effect of "End of line, dude" to Zeus before he blew up his bar.

That's the only one I can think of, though.
Zeus' club, apparently, was actually named the End of Line Club.

Also, did you catch the DuMont reference?

For me, I quite enjoyed it - it's a great fantasy film with tech themes. Maybe even reaching as high as hard-fantasy. Tron works by certain rules, which bear little resemblance to real-world computers - but those rules are enumerable and fairly consistent, so I'm fine with it.

I am expecting, if we do see a sequel, to get the Grid and the "real world" overlapping more and more - especially with any tech upgrades Sam may be able to add in. I saw Kevin Flynn's death coming from the very start, but I still wish they had come up with a different way to end the film - though given Clu's apparent immunity to any other kind of harm, I can't see how else they could have made it satisfying.

What I want in a sequel is for Quorra to start manifesting User-esque powers in the real world. :P
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I don't think this is worthy of its own thread, so I will just inject this here...

The official Daft Punk video for "Derezzed":

It's so bizarre, it's wonderful...

Incidentally, Tron cracked $100 million in the US some time ago and is currently at $130,854,000 (its budget was $170 million). Foreign ticket sales have brought in $65,500,000.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

This film had too many Matrix-like elements for me, if I wanted that I'd just watch the Matrix trilogy again instead.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

montypython wrote:This film had too many Matrix-like elements for me, if I wanted that I'd just watch the Matrix trilogy again instead.
But, then you'd have to watch the Matrix films.

Seriously though, how is it like the Matrix? The concepts in TL predate the Matrix, unless you are talking about the brief bits of -fu and slo-mo.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

montypython wrote:This film had too many Matrix-like elements for me, if I wanted that I'd just watch the Matrix trilogy again instead.
Really? I mean...honestly?
The "Matrix-like elements" that I noticed were all carried over from the original Tron. You've got your plagiarism bass-ackwards there.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Heaven forbid there be movies with similar elements but completely different execution and goals.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

It was less regarding details about stuff like the Grid insomuch as the metaphysical elements such as the Zen philosophy or the Flynn as Jeebus/redemption sacrifice element. :?
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

montypython wrote:It was less regarding details about stuff like the Grid insomuch as the metaphysical elements such as the Zen philosophy or the Flynn as Jeebus/redemption sacrifice element. :?
From what i saw the "Zen" stuff was simply Flynn being some guy's dad who has been out of the loop for some time trying to be cool.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Zor wrote:
montypython wrote:It was less regarding details about stuff like the Grid insomuch as the metaphysical elements such as the Zen philosophy or the Flynn as Jeebus/redemption sacrifice element. :?
From what i saw the "Zen" stuff was simply Flynn being some guy's dad who has been out of the loop for some time trying to be cool.

Zor
There's also the fact Flynn had been in there for a loooooong time. Using his line "minutes were like hours", he was in there for something like 200 subjective years or longer. And he was doing nothing, just waiting. I think he'd either have to go Zen or go crazy.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

It's no accident that the producers made Flynn's home in TL look like the rooms Bowman found himself in at the end of 2001 (and it's called an "homage" for anyone thinking they are devoid of unoriginal ideas). Illuminated floors, relatively opulent furnishing and whole roasted pig for dinner? Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Flynn has gone a bit off the reservation. It helps to explain his somewhat odd behavior towards Sam after they embrace. Many people is such a situation (meeting a parent they haven't seen in years) would likely spend hours together talking. Instead, Flynn says "I'll see you at dinner" and walks off to the balcony, leaving Sam with Quorra.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Lord Relvenous wrote:There's also the fact Flynn had been in there for a loooooong time. Using his line "minutes were like hours", he was in there for something like 200 subjective years or longer. And he was doing nothing, just waiting. I think he'd either have to go Zen or go crazy.
...or both. I tend to think that he was in there for far longer than any human could expect to remain reasonably sane, when perpetually in hiding...and given the nebulously-defined abilities Users have to rewrite the Grid on the fly, if Flynn had gone completely nuts, I could see him causing a hell of a lot of destruction before Clu could take him down. Most of the 'Zen' was probably to stop himself from going full-on Godzilla.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Lord Relvenous wrote:
Zor wrote:

Zor
There's also the fact Flynn had been in there for a loooooong time. Using his line "minutes were like hours", he was in there for something like 200 subjective years or longer. And he was doing nothing, just waiting. I think he'd either have to go Zen or go crazy.
If 8 Subjective Hours are nearly a Millicycle, and the 'Hours were like minutes' is literal, then around 913-924 years, on the low end, 1200 on the high end.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Thanks for the math, Ryu.

Yeah, I definitely agree that he was a little of both. There seemed to me to be a transition period where the introduction of a new element (his son) brought back the old Flynn, breaking him out of his Zen mode and giving him back a little bit of his humanity back. *Shrug* I could just be reading too much into some of his lines though.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Finally saw it. Loved the hell out of it.

Maybe I just experienced some disc-confusion near the end, but Sam and Quorra each had a disc as they went into the, um, uplinkthing, and the Dude had Quorra's... elder Flynn is in no way actually dead and gone, is he? Seeing as they have his disc and that the disc quite explicitly contains everything about you ever?
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Saw it again last week, this time in IMAX. To me, the 3D effect seemed clearer on the RealD 3D presentation I first saw. The IMAX showing seemed to have a more obvious ghosting stemming from the 3D process. Did anyone else notice that? The IMAX theatre had better sound, though, no doubt.
erik_t wrote:Finally saw it. Loved the hell out of it.

Maybe I just experienced some disc-confusion near the end, but Sam and Quorra each had a disc as they went into the, um, uplinkthing, and the Dude had Quorra's... elder Flynn is in no way actually dead and gone, is he? Seeing as they have his disc and that the disc quite explicitly contains everything about you ever?
Sam had his own disc. He never lost it once it was given to him by the Sirens. Quorra switched discs with Flynn in the Light Jet and Clu realized he had Quorra's disc at the I/O tower. Her image was clearly shown floating over it when he activated it. So, she left the Grid using Flynn's disc. Presumably, Flynn reprogrammed it or did something to it to allow Quorra to use it, assuming one normally needs one's own disc to use the I/O tower. Then again, we've never seen an entity created within the Grid leaving before. So, there are questions relating to how Quorra left in the first place. Where did the matter she is composed of in the Real World come from? Is it somehow like a replicator? Was she created using some amount of Flynn's suspended "physicality" (for lack of a better word)? In the first movie, Flynn was apparently "frozen" in place by the laser, digitized and removed from the Real World. He then returned (exactly in the same pose he was in when he left) and then became unfrozen. Unfortunately, we never see what it looks like when Quorra popped out of the digitizing laser.

As to Flynn's status, remember, Quorra told Sam that if his father reintegrated with Clu, he (Flynn) "would never survive the event" (or words to that effect). The reintegration was quite destructive. It took out the ship headed to the I/O tower ("uplinkthing"), after all.

Is it possible Flynn survived? I suppose, but as far as things looked onscreen (he appeared to explode with Clu!), it doesn't look good.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Saw it again last week, this time in IMAX. To me, the 3D effect seemed clearer on the RealD 3D presentation I first saw. The IMAX showing seemed to have a more obvious ghosting stemming from the 3D process. Did anyone else notice that? The IMAX theatre had better sound, though, no doubt.
erik_t wrote:Finally saw it. Loved the hell out of it.

Sam had his own disc. He never lost it once it was given to him by the Sirens. Quorra switched discs with Flynn in the Light Jet and Clu realized he had Quorra's disc at the I/O tower. Her image was clearly shown floating over it when he activated it. So, she left the Grid using Flynn's disc. Presumably, Flynn reprogrammed it or did something to it to allow Quorra to use it, assuming one normally needs one's own disc to use the I/O tower. Then again, we've never seen an entity created within the Grid leaving before. So, there are questions relating to how Quorra left in the first place. Where did the matter she is composed of in the Real World come from? Is it somehow like a replicator? Was she created using some amount of Flynn's suspended "physicality" (for lack of a better word)? In the first movie, Flynn was apparently "frozen" in place by the laser, digitized and removed from the Real World. He then returned (exactly in the same pose he was in when he left) and then became unfrozen. Unfortunately, we never see what it looks like when Quorra popped out of the digitizing laser.

As to Flynn's status, remember, Quorra told Sam that if his father reintegrated with Clu, he (Flynn) "would never survive the event" (or words to that effect). The reintegration was quite destructive. It took out the ship headed to the I/O tower ("uplinkthing"), after all.

Is it possible Flynn survived? I suppose, but as far as things looked onscreen (he appeared to explode with Clu!), it doesn't look good.
If I'm not mistaken, it's heavily implied that the digitizing laser-thing allows them to create matter ex nihilo. This is both completely impossible in the real world (or at least takes far, far more energy than humanity is capable of harnessing), and neatly explains just why Flynn thought he could really change the world - especially if Tron-like physics can leak over into reality, Digimon-style. Imagine a machine that could simply create food out of the air - or being able to digitize someone and then cure their cancer simply by debugging their code.

I do wish the film had gone into more explicit details with that kind of thing; it was a major tease having that kind of thing hinted at and obliquely mentioned, but never followed up on.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Uhm, the whole plot with the digi army relies on them getting real in the real world, something which flynn seemed to think was possible. So yes matter from nothing.

I like that there is no in-out scenes. It would only be corny anyway, its better left to the imagination.

Also agree that there are obvious sequel material in there. Flynn's disc being one of those.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Molyneux wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, it's heavily implied that the digitizing laser-thing allows them to create matter ex nihilo. This is both completely impossible in the real world (or at least takes far, far more energy than humanity is capable of harnessing), and neatly explains just why Flynn thought he could really change the world - especially if Tron-like physics can leak over into reality, Digimon-style. Imagine a machine that could simply create food out of the air - or being able to digitize someone and then cure their cancer simply by debugging their code.

I do wish the film had gone into more explicit details with that kind of thing; it was a major tease having that kind of thing hinted at and obliquely mentioned, but never followed up on.
That's something else that bugs me about the film, because if that was the case there'd be a lot more crazy things happening in their reality, hell stuff like what happens in animes like Haruhi Suzumiya would be popping up all over the place then, particularly since such a thing wouldn't be strictly time dependent propagations. This also means there would be far nastier implications than merely Clu attempting to invade the world...
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

I just thought of something, if Flynn rewinds the Grid 5 minutes, isn't his dad still live?
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:I just thought of something, if Flynn rewinds the Grid 5 minutes, isn't his dad still live?
I don't think the Grid quite works like that.
It seems to be heavily influenced by the real world, and programs written here create a program there, but it does not seem to be a completely 1-to-1 correspondence...but even if you could just restore to a saved state, Users don't appear to follow quite the same rules inside the Grid as outside it. I think of it as more of an alternate space linked to the computer, rather than being literally inside the computer itself - more like the Digimon digital world than the Matrix.

Of course, being able to rewind five minutes and just undo anything that goes wrong would also cut out any sense of drama from the film, which may be the more important reason.
montypython wrote:That's something else that bugs me about the film, because if that was the case there'd be a lot more crazy things happening in their reality, hell stuff like what happens in animes like Haruhi Suzumiya would be popping up all over the place then, particularly since such a thing wouldn't be strictly time dependent propagations. This also means there would be far nastier implications than merely Clu attempting to invade the world...
Molyneux wrote:

That's something else that bugs me about the film, because if that was the case there'd be a lot more crazy things happening in their reality, hell stuff like what happens in animes like Haruhi Suzumiya would be popping up all over the place then, particularly since such a thing wouldn't be strictly time dependent propagations. This also means there would be far nastier implications than merely Clu attempting to invade the world...
Again, more explicit detail on that would have been great. I do think that, generally, programs put into the physical world wouldn't be TOO much of an issue - I mean, they're around human strength and durability, even if those discs could make for some nasty hand-to-hand weapons. I don't think they'd pose too much of a problem to human weapons, at least not with comparable forces.

On the other hand, think of CLU getting his hands on a terminal for the Grid and just hitting copy-and-paste a few billion times on a loyal program - and sending them all through the digitizer to the real world. Through sheer force of numbers, that could get really bad, really fast.

I am hoping that if they do make a sequel, Quorra turns out to be able to display some User-like abilities in the real world. Would be an interesting turnaround, and a great way of demonstrating exactly why Flynn went so gaga about Isos (even aside from their existence as self-created intelligences).

Come to think of it, the existence of the Isos appears to work in favor of the Grid being a representative reality rather than literally the inside of the computer architecture - I doubt you'll ever see your computer start to write programs on its own no matter how you monkey with it. On the other hand, if it was the Grid responding to the influence of a User's long-term presence, it makes a little bit more sense, at least for a space with some seriously strange laws of physics.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Molyneux wrote: I am hoping that if they do make a sequel, Quorra turns out to be able to display some User-like abilities in the real world. Would be an interesting turnaround, and a great way of demonstrating exactly why Flynn went so gaga about Isos (even aside from their existence as self-created intelligences).
Seeing as how almost the exact same reveal was made in the Matrix trilogy and was generally poorly received by fans (AFAIK), I doubt them doing something similar.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Molyneux wrote:I don't think the Grid quite works like that.
It seems to be heavily influenced by the real world, and programs written here create a program there, but it does not seem to be a completely 1-to-1 correspondence...but even if you could just restore to a saved state, Users don't appear to follow quite the same rules inside the Grid as outside it. I think of it as more of an alternate space linked to the computer, rather than being literally inside the computer itself - more like the Digimon digital world than the Matrix.
Which raises the question, what happened to Sam's clothing? It was cut and stripped from him and then sucked into the floor. That, I could have done without unless I was just illusory. I didn't take notice if he was wearing the same clothing when he was seen back in the laser room at the end of the movie. Ideally, he wasn't really clothed with fabric and leather when he arrived Grid-side, but that it was an illusion for his benefit. Flynn the Elder may have programmed things so that when he made his regular visits to The Grid, he was "wearing" his (slightly-Gridded) street clothes (as he was seen wearing in the flashback) for his own convenience. In the first movie, Flynn popped into the Game Grid already wearing the helmet and standard issue program garb (with a sash!). He was never dressed like his son was. He simply "materialzed" in that Grid-clothed state.

So of course this all means that Quorra appeared in the Real World stark naked and I fully expect we will see this in deleted scenes on the Blu-ray. :P