Which curse is the most unforgivable

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Which curse is the worst

Cruciatus Curse
24%
Imperius Curse
62%
Killing Curse
14%

Total votes: 42

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: Which curse is the most unforgivable

Post by Captain Seafort »

cmdrjones wrote:in the goble of fire the imposter version of mad eye moody used them in class as a teaching tool and no one batted an eye.
Because the term "unforgivable" specifically applies to their use against humans.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

cmdrjones wrote:
Batman wrote:What gray areas? From what I remember a curse being 'unforgivable' was pretty damned digital. You use one and they catch you, you go to Azkaban, no questions asked.

I meant in the debating going on in the thread. What the hogwarts staff consider 'unforgivable' and the viewers debate about it are two different things. besides, in the goble of fire the imposter version of mad eye moody used them in class as a teaching tool and no one batted an eye.
He actually tells them that he got a special permit from the Ministry to demonstrate these curses to the students. Which he does. On a spider.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well there are clearly exceptions. Harry uses both Crucio and Imperio in book seven, and even McGonagall uses Imperio. No mention is ever made of their being punished for it. If it is indeed an "automatic life sentence" then Harry shouldn't have been around for that "nineteen years later" bit.

I do wonder about the "willing someone to die" bit. IN the HP verse murder is the supreme act of evil that rips the soul apart, and yet Dumbledore didn't expect that to be an issue for Snape and his mercy-killing. Snape clearly had the intent to kill Dumbledore, but since we know the reasons behind it, can we call that an "evil" intent? If so, should he have been thrown in Azkaban if he had survived?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I think their are different standards for war than for ordinary crime (the Ministry authorized use of Unforgivable Curses by Aurors during the first war with Voldemort). And of course, its easy to get a pardon when you're a hero of the winning side, as corrupt as that may be. For that matter, the Ministry has a history of leniency to former Death Eaters who helped them (Snape, Karakarov), so they would probably be lenient on their own side as well, unless the post-war Ministry operates very differently in this area. And Harry might have been able to plead extenuating circumstances because of the piece of Voldemort's soul in him, potentially influencing him.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Captain Seafort wrote:
cmdrjones wrote:in the goble of fire the imposter version of mad eye moody used them in class as a teaching tool and no one batted an eye.
Because the term "unforgivable" specifically applies to their use against humans.

point taken, thanks
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

The Romulan Republic wrote:I think their are different standards for war than for ordinary crime (the Ministry authorized use of Unforgivable Curses by Aurors during the first war with Voldemort). And of course, its easy to get a pardon when you're a hero of the winning side, as corrupt as that may be. For that matter, the Ministry has a history of leniency to former Death Eaters who helped them (Snape, Karakarov), so they would probably be lenient on their own side as well, unless the post-war Ministry operates very differently in this area. And Harry might have been able to plead extenuating circumstances because of the piece of Voldemort's soul in him, potentially influencing him.
On top of all that, the unforgivables weren't unforgivables at the time - they were all entirely legal and part of the standard Hogwarts curriculum. That doesn't apply to time time he had a crack at Bellatrix with the Cruciatus, but either did anyone see him throw that one.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I suppose their is a clever irony to the idea that the Death Eaters' own laws gave their opponents a legal justification for using the Unforgivable Curses. Though really, I would expect the Shaklebolt Ministry to ruthlessly repeal legislation passed during the preceding year.

Edit: Actually, Harry Potter wizard politics is very interesting. Its a pity we don't get more information on it in the books. I'd pay Rowling good money to write a Harry Potter political thriller.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

The Romulan Republic wrote:I suppose their is a clever irony to the idea that the Death Eaters' own laws gave their opponents a legal justification for using the Unforgivable Curses. Though really, I would expect the Shaklebolt Ministry to ruthlessly repeal legislation passed during the preceding year.
Of course, but I can't see Kingsley pulling dirty tricks like making the repeal retrospective, especially as doing so would have pulled Harry in.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Perhaps.

Shaklebolt's actually one of my favourite characters from the books. For someone who's not around a great deal, he manages a lot of awesomeness in the course of three books.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Captain Seafort wrote:
And he does use the imperio curse on the entire class.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Elheru Aran wrote:Ghetto Edit: I did some research and will correct myself, that frame is called a "Veil" apparently, and Sirius is the only one to have gone through it as far as JKR mentions, although the setting it is in (middle of a small amphitheater) suggests a past function of wizard execution... a fairly useful one as it doesn't involve anybody using spells, just throw them through the Veil and you're done.
It was in the Department of Mysteries. No-one is going to use the Department of Mysteries for executions, the whole point was that everything there was top secret. The Veil was likely an experiment in contacting the dead and moved on, as harry heard voices in there of his parents.

On the note of Obliviate, I think there is more than one version of the curse: one that selectively removes memories, and one which just blasts all memories from the brain. The former is not necessarily immoral, the latter is.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'm actually disputing that last one, depending on how it works (been a while since I read the books). Does it it really blast all memories, including knowing how to read, write, possibly ride a horse, languages, etc, or does it merely erase your memories of who you are and what happened in your life before but leaves you a functional (if bewildered) human being? Because the latter looks a lot like B5's 'Death of Personality' capital punishment which seems morally acceptable to me (more so than the death sentence because unlike that, it can actually be reversed).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Batman wrote:I'm actually disputing that last one, depending on how it works (been a while since I read the books). Does it it really blast all memories, including knowing how to read, write, possibly ride a horse, languages, etc, or does it merely erase your memories of who you are and what happened in your life before but leaves you a functional (if bewildered) human being? Because the latter looks a lot like B5's 'Death of Personality' capital punishment which seems morally acceptable to me (more so than the death sentence because unlike that, it can actually be reversed).
Closer to the former than the latter - Lockhart ended up in a ward next to the Longbottoms when his attempt to obliviate Harry and Ron backfired on him.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Yeah, but was that a function of the spell or a side effect of it backfiring?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Lockhart was planning on taking a piece of basilisk skin back up to the surface and tell everyone that he was too late to save Ginny and that the Harry and Ron tragically lost their minds at sight of her mangled body. So ya, it was an intended effect of the spell. I don't think he specifically mentioned a spell name though, apart from saying it was a memory charm.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
SMJB
Padawan Learner

Post by SMJB »

I'm mainly retreading old ground here, but yeah, Imperio is clearly the worst. The other two, while bad, are cases of "artisanal" violence; you need to cast the spell anew every time you want to torture or kill anybody. With Imperio, you can take control of the President of the United States and make him fire off the nuclear arsenal, causing WWIII; "mass-produced" violence. And that's far from the only thing you can do with it, either; Imperio is extremely freaking flexible. And then there's the fact that you can Imperio someone into doing the other curses (making it by definition worse than they are) and, presumably, make them use Imperio themselves...

Long story short, Imperio is an unending cornucopia of unspeakable horrors, while the others are just mundane horrors.
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."