Yuzzhan Vong vs. the Imperium of Man

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

SirNitram wrote: Then all the Chaos Marines will still be around, with armies of slaves still labouring for them.
But the Wolfen aren't an enemy. Besides, as of the 13th Crusade the Wolfen are back and I believe a Valid choice for the Space Wolves to use. Since the 13th Crusade took place outside the Eye, then they must have left it, so unless the timeframe is placed before that Crusade, then they would an option for any Space Wolf deployment.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Wulfen aren't exclusive to the 13th Company.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Matt Huang wrote:Wulfen aren't exclusive to the 13th Company.
No, but since mutations are more common to the 13th, there's far more wulfen in their ranks than in any other Wolf company.
JADAFETWA
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

No ut most of the Wolfen that occur during the aspirants training are either killed or left on Fenris. The 13th Company are the only ones that actually fight along side them, and that was the choice of Leman Russ.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

SirNitram wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
SirNitram wrote:A comment; if the Eye of Terror winks out and takes the Daemons, Slaves, and everything else with it, why wouldn't Russ and the 13th Company go with them?
Simple, what makes the Eye of Terror, Chaos, is gone. But, the Planets remain. So the Wulfen company is simply saying "what the Hell. Where did everybody go? Oh well, back to Fenriss."
Then all the Chaos Marines will still be around, with armies of slaves still labouring for them.
Okay, it seems we are not understanding each other :( . Chaos and its affiliated groups along with the Warp Storms are gone. Leman Russ(assuming he is still alive) and the 13th company remain. The only people left are the Imperium's citizens that still claim the protection of the rightful Emperor on the Golden Throne or are wards of the Throne along with the Eastern Fringe Human Empires.

Everybody else ends up in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The Yuuzhan Vong are invading from the Eastern Fringe, while the Imperium is trying to take advantage of this gift to consolidate their Empire and breathe.
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Wanderer wrote:Okay, it seems we are not understanding each other :( . Chaos and its affiliated groups along with the Warp Storms are gone. Leman Russ(assuming he is still alive) and the 13th company remain.
This is quite daft, simply put. There is no reason they would get a free pass when the Eye vanishes, short of fanwanking. It's not like it's even needed, when they're just some nutters who are losing the ability to even fight at range..
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

SirNitram wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Okay, it seems we are not understanding each other :( . Chaos and its affiliated groups along with the Warp Storms are gone. Leman Russ(assuming he is still alive) and the 13th company remain.
This is quite daft, simply put. There is no reason they would get a free pass when the Eye vanishes, short of fanwanking. It's not like it's even needed, when they're just some nutters who are losing the ability to even fight at range..
"Jumps out the Window"

Moving on. How well would the Imperium Navy do in a straight up fight against the Vong?
Neko_Oni
Padawan Learner

Post by Neko_Oni »

A key question is, can Basal Dovins strip Void Shields off Imperial Ships, like they can versus Republic vessels?
Kuja wrote:Question: If an Imperial Guardsman puts a laser sight on his lasgun, what has he got?
Answer: A double-barreled lasgun.
Another version is:
Question: What do you call a lasgun with a red-dot laser sight?
Answer: Twin-linked

Though that one is more of a rules in-joke.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Neko_Oni wrote:
Kuja wrote:Question: If an Imperial Guardsman puts a laser sight on his lasgun, what has he got?
Answer: A double-barreled lasgun.
Another version is:
Question: What do you call a lasgun with a red-dot laser sight?
Answer: Twin-linked

Though that one is more of a rules in-joke.
Yes, I know. I prefer my version because the build-up is better and folks unfamiliar with 40K terminology get the punchline without pausing to recognize what twin-linked means. :D
JADAFETWA
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Neko_Oni wrote:A key question is, can Basal Dovins strip Void Shields off Imperial Ships, like they can versus Republic vessels?
Well the New Republic countered that by extending there inertial damping field beyond their shields. Considering how technology is not really understood by the Imperium, this can get very bad for the Imperium.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

SW shields (at least some kinds) seem to have at least a partly "physical" based shielding (not in all cases, just the ones the New Republic used) hence why they got "sucked" away. I don't think void shields have that physical element to them.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Anyhow, this is going to depend on how long the Vong have to build up their resource base (they apparnetly bring a buttload of ships and resources with them, but alot of their initial power was also based on acquiring resource worlds (Sernpidal was one, but then they also used a Dovin Basal to smash a 10 trillion ton moon into the planet and shatter it. And this is a fairly well known tactic among the Vong, IIRC.)

Also, did they dispatch the subversive elements to the 40K galaxy the same way that it happened decades before in the SW timeline?
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Thanks to the example of psychic assault found in Ravenor (Gideon, a psyker of high Delta/Low Gamma level, possessed the tactical officer of a rogue trader cruiser, so that the man dropped shields and point defences allowing a missile salvo to nuke the bridge), wouldn't it be possible for a psyker of sufficient ability to branifuck a Vong ship?

The Vong aren't protected by Zoanthropes, Mutant Tyrants and the Hive Mind like the Tyranids are, hence the abscence of this tactic against them. Do they have some similar protections, or are their ships, in essence, bilogical automata?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Also, did they dispatch the subversive elements to the 40K galaxy the same way that it happened decades before in the SW timeline?
That's an excellent point. Unfortunately for the Vong, the Imperium is custom tailored to be resistant to that sort of attack. Not only will any potential internal political pressure be moot, but the Inquisition will catch wind of it before too long and swiftly annihilate it. Compared to a genestealer infestation, a Vong agents will be cake.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Do the Vong have anything that can even remotely compare to say the Titans? Or the sheer number of Imperial Guard?

In the Sabat Worlds Crusade the IG rallied a force of some billion men. I dont knwo if it was even a really 'important' crusade in the long run, like the battles against Abbadon.

If not, then the Vong might be simply overwhelmed.
Kanye West Saves.

Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:In the Sabat Worlds Crusade the IG rallied a force of some billion men. I dont knwo if it was even a really 'important' crusade in the long run, like the battles against Abbadon.
Hell yes the Sabbat Worlds Crusade was important; Slaydo had to call in every favour he had, including a bunch with the High Lords of Terra to get the go-ahead for it, due to the shear scale involved.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

A note on Imperium shield: void shields seem to have a psychic component as well, or work to at least some degree through the Warp. N.B. especially the EMP pulse that shocked Esharddon and the inhabitants of the manor he had taken hostage in Malleus. I think it's probably safe to say that void shields operate on entirely different principles than SW shields...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Black Admiral wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote:In the Sabat Worlds Crusade the IG rallied a force of some billion men. I dont knwo if it was even a really 'important' crusade in the long run, like the battles against Abbadon.
Hell yes the Sabbat Worlds Crusade was important; Slaydo had to call in every favour he had, including a bunch with the High Lords of Terra to get the go-ahead for it, due to the shear scale involved.
Aw crap, :oops: My mistake then.

This was explained in the first Gaunts Ghosts novel? I still havent found that one. Anywho, my bad.
Kanye West Saves.

Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Also, did they dispatch the subversive elements to the 40K galaxy the same way that it happened decades before in the SW timeline?
No subversive agents. Only a pure bloodfest after 5 years of Yuuzhan Vong consuming the Eastern Fringe.
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Do the Vong have anything that can even remotely compare to say the Titans? Or the sheer number of Imperial Guard?

Don't know about Titans, but they are vulnerable to the Heavy Plasma weaponry of the Vong. As for numbers, they took on the Star Wars Galaxy that has quintillions of people.

Further, the Vong will have no presence in the Warp or the Force. Pyskers will not be able to mind rape them. Instead Psykers will be running from them like they do from Culexis assassins. So this is the Imperium Fleet and ground forces slugfest.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Wanderer wrote: Further, the Vong will have no presence in the Warp or the Force. Pyskers will not be able to mind rape them. Instead Psykers will be running from them like they do from Culexis assassins. So this is the Imperium Fleet and ground forces slugfest.
You will of course explain how this is true won't you. Or have you just made it up?
I've said this before, I'll say it again.
It takes more than having "no presence" in the warp to get the soulless effect of Culexis and Pahrias. They don't just have "no presence" they have a negative presence. Sort of like mental anti-matter.
How do I justify this assessment. Simple.
Psykers do not run screaming from Steel, Plastic, Adamantium or any other inurt material which, not being alive, have no presence in the warp.
Even the Tau which don't get currupted by Chaos easily, although Fire Warrior shows that they can be manipulated and affected, they still get smacked senceless if a psyker targets them.

Ivanova is always right.

Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Wanderer wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote:Do the Vong have anything that can even remotely compare to say the Titans? Or the sheer number of Imperial Guard?

Don't know about Titans, but they are vulnerable to the Heavy Plasma weaponry of the Vong. As for numbers, they took on the Star Wars Galaxy that has quintillions of people.

The Vong took on the Star Wars galaxy in a scenario where almost every conceivable factor was stacked in their favor.

New Republics fleet outnumbers and outguns the Vong? NR sends in their fleet piecemeal.

New Republics fleet still outguns the Vong piecemeal? Dovin Bassals strip SW shields.

Jedi would curbstomp the Vong in combat? Vong don't have a force presence.

Jedi still curbstomp the Vong in combat? Jedi become angsty soul-searching pacifists who don't believe in fighting the Vong.
Further, the Vong will have no presence in the Warp or the Force. Pyskers will not be able to mind rape them. Instead Psykers will be running from them like they do from Culexis assassins. So this is the Imperium Fleet and ground forces slugfest.
That's nice, but Culexus Temple Assassins have negative warp presences, not no warp presence. That's what causes psykers to go batshit insane when Untouchables are nearby. So, while psykers might not be able to directly mindfuck the Vong, they will still be able to rip the Vong to shreds using indirect warp attacks, such as tossing lightning bolts or fireballs.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Vong took on the Star Wars galaxy in a scenario where almost every conceivable factor was stacked in their favor.
Exactly. It looked as if SW Galaxy wasn't really a force, just a bunch of hippie peaceniks and silly little dictator-wannabees, who couldn't put up a fight and even make any reasonable agreement between themselves... a far cry from the Galactic Republic or the Galactic Empire.
The NR - a force which supposedly "triumphed" over the GE's remains - seems to have insanely FEW ships for a Galactic government, like, uh... little forces to battle.

This is ridiculous, and this Vong biowank idiocy, as well as total disregard for any rules of logic or, heaven forbid, PHYSICS, in the best traditions of Kevin Anderson, made me lose all interest in NJO and beyond. I didn't read the books after Balance Point, it was shitty enough to kill all interest in the series.

It's even more ridiculous considering the Vong didn't arrive en masse, but rather bit by bit.

Vong are inferior to the NR and other factions in every fucking way, they are completely out-of-the-hat, and that's why NJO is full of stupid and flimsy excuses as to why the NR "lost", even having help from the Chiss, IR and other factions... :evil:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Just a small nitpick on the fleet size calculation,

200x200 = 40,000 not 400,000

so in fact the fleet could be an order of magnitude larger
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Steel wrote:Just a small nitpick on the fleet size calculation,

200x200 = 40,000 not 400,000

so in fact the fleet could be an order of magnitude larger
First: Thank you.

Second: Bollocks :oops:
I do know how to count. Honest.

Ivanova is always right.