W40K as Anime

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

MRDOD wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote: You've evidently never seen an Adepta Sororitas army, then. :P
I don't think Sisters are very cuddly. In fact, they're probably Nuns with Guns anyhow.

Wait, Anime...
Nuns...
Belay that quibble! :)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Y'know, in Darkstalkers, Felicia was a nun...

Yeah.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Uraniun235 wrote:
MRDOD wrote:
I don't think Sisters are very cuddly. In fact, they're probably Nuns with Guns anyhow.

Wait, Anime...
Nuns...
*Snip image*
Which anime/manga is that from, anyways?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Don't quote pics!!

It's probably just from misc. manga, if it even is from something in the first place and not just an isolated piece done by someone on the net or a mangaka.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Rogue 9 wrote:
MRDOD wrote:

Wait, Anime...
Nuns...
What Space Marines do in their spare time. :mrgreen:
For some reason I can't see any images on that page.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Space Marines and Warhammer 40K combat would work just fine as an animation. I mean if a guy with Flash can do this just picture what a real animation studio could do.
That was 10 kinds of awesome. I especially loved the music!

That makes me want to see 40k done by the Clone Wars guys.

However, I must say that I would not want 99% of the people in the anime business involved with it if 40k were ever to be made as an anime. There's is almost no way that it could be done right.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
Adrian Laguna wrote:
Space Marines and Warhammer 40K combat would work just fine as an animation. I mean if a guy with Flash can do this just picture what a real animation studio could do.
That was 10 kinds of awesome. I especially loved the music!
Chaos Gate - Ultramarine Chant. Fuckin' A!
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:That makes me want to see 40k done by the Clone Wars guys.
That would be hella awesome too.
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:However, I must say that I would not want 99% of the people in the anime business involved with it if 40k were ever to be made as an anime. There's is almost no way that it could be done right.
Exactly. 40K is all about gritty, bloody, gory futuristic medieval warfare, not fanservice, chibis, cutesy-coo crap, giant sweat drops, huge eyes, or anything like that. :twisted:
Image Image
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I would argue that that particular Flash clip is exactly why a 40k anime shouldn't be made. The anime-style fascination with swords, et al is just... yuck. Don't get me wrong, I like crazy ninja samurai sword crap as much as the next guy, but it's a huge disservice to the brutally Western atmosphere of the universe. When things get hit by Super Melee Weapons o' Doom™ in 40k, they don't get cut clean in half, they get fucking obliterated and turned into gooey red paste, with gibs flying everywhere. I am exaggerating of course, but that is a valid stylistic concern, something anime is not generally predisposed toward.

Nevermind the 3rd-Edition-inspired nonsense of a Terminator being felled by a silly Warlock, but I digress...
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

MRDOD wrote:
There's always the Repentia.
Neko_Oni
Padawan Learner

Post by Neko_Oni »

Exactly. 40K is all about gritty, bloody, gory futuristic medieval warfare, not fanservice, chibis, cutesy-coo crap, giant sweat drops, huge eyes, or anything like that. Twisted Evil
As said before see Production IG's work for a "serious" take on anime. Ghost in the Shell, Jin Roh, Otogi Zoshi, and Blood:TLV don't have a sweat drop or giant eye in sight.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Ghost in the Shell is still too over-stylized for my taste.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Morat wrote:
MRDOD wrote:
There's always the Repentia.
Those are the UGLIEST women warriors I've ever seen, besides the fat chicks in 'Quake III'. Seriously, what kind of idiot would think shaving a woman bald would make her look sexier? If that's the best the 'Warhammer 40,000' creators can do, I'm staying far, far away from that franchise.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Those are the UGLIEST women warriors I've ever seen, besides the fat chicks in 'Quake III'. Seriously, what kind of idiot would think shaving a woman bald would make her look sexier? If that's the best the 'Warhammer 40,000' creators can do, I'm staying far, far away from that franchise.
Uh, I don't think they were going for 'sexy' there, no. More like, 'rabidly fanatical warriors on a quest for redemption that can only be granted in glorious combat.'

If you want sexy, go for Slaaneshi daemonettes or dark eldar wyches or something. Heretic.

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Ghost in the Shell is still too over-stylized for my taste.
I really don't see anything stylised about it at all.

Other than the fact that it's still a cartoon, that is.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

And upon further consideration, I should point out that 40k is not exactly a "pretty" universe. We are talking about a universe where Space Marines routinely get impaled or limbs hacked off; daemons which burst out of some innocent sacrifice in a fountain of gore and viscera; officials, officers, and soldiers have crude cybernetic grafts from extensive campaigning; implants and psycho-conditioning that detonate the subject upon utterance of forbidden topics... I could go on.

"Sexy" isn't really a word I'd use to describe 40k. Except maybe the Emperor. Rawr.

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

And upon further consideration, I should point out that 40k is not exactly a "pretty" universe. We are talking about a universe where Space Marines routinely get impaled or limbs hacked off; daemons which burst out of some innocent sacrifice in a fountain of gore and viscera; officials, officers, and soldiers have crude cybernetic grafts from extensive campaigning; implants and psycho-conditioning that detonate the subject upon utterance of forbidden topics... I could go on.
You know, that sounds oddly like Full Metal Alchemist, when their not too busy Fan-servicing Winry.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:
Nevermind the 3rd-Edition-inspired nonsense of a Terminator being felled by a silly Warlock, but I digress...
Yes, because a former aspect warrior with well developed psychic powers, psychic force armour, and a force weapon is a shmuck. Marines aren't the only thing nerfed on the table top.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:I would argue that that particular Flash clip is exactly why a 40k anime shouldn't be made. The anime-style fascination with swords, et al is just... yuck. Don't get me wrong, I like crazy ninja samurai sword crap as much as the next guy, but it's a huge disservice to the brutally Western atmosphere of the universe. When things get hit by Super Melee Weapons o' Doom™ in 40k, they don't get cut clean in half, they get fucking obliterated and turned into gooey red paste, with gibs flying everywhere. I am exaggerating of course, but that is a valid stylistic concern, something anime is not generally predisposed toward.

I was mostly refering to the art style and the battle scenes towards the begining of the movie. Your two complaints, focus on game mechanics rather than fluff, and the one about not enough gore can be easily fixed by the hypothetical studio that will do the theoreticla anime, actually doing some research. Since if they don't do any research, the show will be thrashed, bashed, and utterly ripped to pieces by outraged fans.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Overlord wrote:Yes, because a former aspect warrior with well developed psychic powers, psychic force armour, and a force weapon is a shmuck. Marines aren't the only thing nerfed on the table top.
I'm well aware of a Warlock's power - if it was a normal or even veteran Marine I wouldn't really mind, I've no doubt a witchblade can cut clean through power armor. But it was at least two Terminators, for cryin' out loud, literally the elite of the elite.
I was mostly refering to the art style and the battle scenes towards the begining of the movie. Your two complaints, focus on game mechanics rather than fluff, and the one about not enough gore can be easily fixed by the hypothetical studio that will do the theoreticla anime, actually doing some research. Since if they don't do any research, the show will be thrashed, bashed, and utterly ripped to pieces by outraged fans.
How is samurai-style silliness a game mechanic issue? It's a stylistic issue through and through.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote: I'm well aware of a Warlock's power - if it was a normal or even veteran Marine I wouldn't really mind, I've no doubt a witchblade can cut clean through power armor. But it was at least two Terminators, for cryin' out loud, literally the elite of the elite.
Sure its tough, but it is within the abilities of a suitably bad ass warlock.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Jeepers, that flash animation was a mess, both in appearance and pace.

I think something with Warhammer 40K could work animated, but not necessarily 'anime' (and certainly not the way that one was dumped together, reminds me of those LEGO stop-motion films with that doesn't go anywhere and even the mindless action is too slow/incoherent). I think it could develop its own style to convey the setting and story properly, rather than fitting it into a culturally different style.

In a perfect world, it'd be CG with close to the quality and awesomeness of the Dawn of War opening. Now that's how you depict brutal shootouts and sword action.
By His Word...
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Overlord wrote:Sure its tough, but it is within the abilities of a suitably bad ass warlock.
Fair enough I suppose.
In a perfect world, it'd be CG with close to the quality and awesomeness of the Dawn of War opening. Now that's how you depict brutal shootouts and sword action.
Agreed x1000.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:
Agreed x1000.
Indeed.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

What about a more realistic style with a very drab color palette? Ala Witch Hunter Robin or the aforementioned Jin-Roh.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Nah, they should do it in the general mid-1980s style of sci-fi anime. That way it'll look awesome and everything will be done by hand, so when they cheat it won't look so crappy like it does when they cheat with digital animation. :P