The Kilrathi vs. the Klingons!!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The problem with attacking Earth was not a lack of firepower, but a lack of the ability to directly assault the planet. Their antimatter rockets were more than powerful enough to wipe out cities, and they were about to attack Earth again in WCIII, except that Kilrah was annihilated, first.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Bob McDob wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:
Dark Primus wrote: It is, however, quite enough to Blow Lots Of Shit Up.

Besides, I don't understand the point of this . . . I don't remember the Kilrathi blowing up planets, unless you mean Fleet Action, and to my knowledge they only blew up several Earth defence cities.

Like I didn't say before, though, I never read Fleet Action.
The Kilrathi had the firepower terraforming entire planets with proton missiles/warheads mentioned in WC Prophecy. The planet Hawk came from was used in that sort of way.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Dark Primus wrote:Probably a nuclear winter. There be still maybe 10,000 nukes left world wide at most. I believe USA had at most 6,000, Russia/Soviet maybe 5,000 or something, i am not so sure. Large number of those were below one megaton. Not all were to be city destroyers but more likely to take out enemy bases and fortifactions and that sort of thing, and for that you don't need multimegaton warheads.
A nuclear winter.... and that's about it?? Holy moly, I thought it would shatter the planet to pieces.

I'm more interested in how much of the life on earth all that firepower can kill...
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Dark Primus wrote:Probably a nuclear winter. There be still maybe 10,000 nukes left world wide at most. I believe USA had at most 6,000, Russia/Soviet maybe 5,000 or something, i am not so sure. Large number of those were below one megaton. Not all were to be city destroyers but more likely to take out enemy bases and fortifactions and that sort of thing, and for that you don't need multimegaton warheads.
A nuclear winter.... and that's about it?? Holy moly, I thought it would shatter the planet to pieces.

I'm more interested in how much of the life on earth all that firepower can kill...
It wouldn't even kill all complex life on earth. It would almost certainly not even wipe out humanity. I don't think that would be particularly impressive for Sci-fi series.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Dark Primus wrote:The Kilrathi had the firepower terraforming entire planets with proton missiles/warheads mentioned in WC Prophecy. The planet Hawk came from was used in that sort of way.
I'm pretty certain that was just a figure of speech . . . Mylon III was probably one of the frontier worlds the Kilrathi blew the hell out of in the opening moments of the war. I don't think the Kilrathi would really bother with terraforming in war (is it even possible to do that with proton bombs?) Besides, when Vagabond says "I've been from one end of the universe to the other", does he mean that any more than Han Solo belittling the Imperial Starfleet, or Chakotay ranting about Borg cubes?
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Master of Ossus wrote:The problem with attacking Earth was not a lack of firepower, but a lack of the ability to directly assault the planet. Their antimatter rockets were more than powerful enough to wipe out cities, and they were about to attack Earth again in WCIII, except that Kilrah was annihilated, first.
Proof?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Bob McDob wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:The problem with attacking Earth was not a lack of firepower, but a lack of the ability to directly assault the planet. Their antimatter rockets were more than powerful enough to wipe out cities, and they were about to attack Earth again in WCIII, except that Kilrah was annihilated, first.
Proof?
WCIII, the attacks that they launched against Earth, described completely in that manual. The fact that in WCIII it is directly stated that they were about to launch an attack on earth, again, just before Kilrah was destroyed. What other proof can I offer?

Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Bob McDob wrote:
Dark Primus wrote:The Kilrathi had the firepower terraforming entire planets with proton missiles/warheads mentioned in WC Prophecy. The planet Hawk came from was used in that sort of way.
I'm pretty certain that was just a figure of speech . . . Mylon III was probably one of the frontier worlds the Kilrathi blew the hell out of in the opening moments of the war. I don't think the Kilrathi would really bother with terraforming in war (is it even possible to do that with proton bombs?) Besides, when Vagabond says "I've been from one end of the universe to the other", does he mean that any more than Han Solo belittling the Imperial Starfleet, or Chakotay ranting about Borg cubes?
Yes it was a figure of speech, saying they bombarded the planet to hell leaving nothing left. But the planet is more likely dead, it probably looks similar to the moon now i can imagine, considering how cruel the Kilrathi are.
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Master of Ossus wrote:I think that the Klingon Empire is larger than that of the Kilrathi, but I think that WC technology is better (yes, even "crumby furball" stuff). I would expect that this would be a good fight, but I don't see how the Klingons could expect to win. They have nothing that can stand up to the Kilrathi on the ground, and their ships do not appear to have an ability to annihilate worlds in BDZ type operations, even en masse.
Huh? Sure they do. It wouldn't keep them from being defeated, but
the Klingons *definitely* have the ability to kill all of a planet's life.
We saw one ship do the job in "The Chase," and there's always the
redoubtable "The Die Is Cast"...

Sean
Analyst http://www.babtech-onthe.net/
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Master of Ossus wrote:So.... good old "fasion" nuclear weapons will destroy a planet. Why, then, did it take hours for a fleet of ST vessels to damage 30% of a planet's surface?
Man, who told you this?!

The opening volley from a 20 ship fleet "destroyed 30% of the planet's
crust" in "The Die Is Cast." They were being fed false readings, so
that figure is somewhat unreliable. However, one of the leaders of
the attack (a Founder impersonating a Romulan colonel) said:

"Computer analysis indicates that the planet's crust will be destroyed
within one hour; and the mantle, within five."

Not damaged, but destroyed. At the very least, within six hours everything on the planet should've been dead.

We've heard that single ships have the ability to kill at least all humanoid
life on planets before and since...the TOS Federation called it
General Order 24, IIRC. Even tiny Defiant was supposed to be
capable of turning the new Founder's homeworld "into a smoking cinder."

Granted, we're looking at some hyperbole, but phasers and disruptors
do very neat things to light silicates.
The Klingons clearly do not have the ability to effectively destroy planets. In WC, starfighter-class weapons can do that. There is an enormous firepower disparity, here.
In terms of power requirements, probably, yes: Klingon weapons
utilize the same funky mechanism that phasers do, so they're optimized
against very specific targets. They're much less effective against shields
and especially against heavy armor.

But no, the Klingons do have the ability to kill all of a planet's life off,
in fairly short order no less. I'll remind you that a single Bird-of-Prey
was thought easily capable of destroying Gowron's fortified HQ and "everything else within a few hundred kilometers" in "Apocalypse Rising."
The Klingons cannot out fight an enemy with such a huge advantage. The Kilrathi would destroy their industrial complexes, and the Klingons would be unable to mount any defense except for a weak offensive (by WC standards). They would be wiped out. They have no advantages on the ground, and spectacular disadvantages. In space, both sides have some advantages, but the Kilrathi have the firepower/shield trump-card. Please note that the only time a Klingon group would be able to launch an effective ambush around a jump point would be after they had already won a battle-something that likely would never happen. WC also has advantages in targeting and armor. The Klingons would be overwhelmed.
I think the Klingons would definitely lose, given what I've heard of
WC firepower and shields. I also believe you WRT their sheer numbers
(doesn't matter anyway, since a few hundred ships should be able to
defeat the Empire).

However, I do think you're underestimating them. Call it a nitpick :)

Sean
Analyst http://www.babtech-onthe.net/