The Orville

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

JLTucker
BANNED

Re: The Orville

Post by JLTucker »

Enigma wrote: 2017-09-23 09:00pm What I don't like is that the production values of the show is less than your standard prime time sci-fi show but a step above Netflix.

Hell, I'd even put Babylon 5 slightly above The Orville in quality.
What about BSG?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-23 09:07pm
Enigma wrote: 2017-09-23 09:00pm What I don't like is that the production values of the show is less than your standard prime time sci-fi show but a step above Netflix.

Hell, I'd even put Babylon 5 slightly above The Orville in quality.
What about BSG?
Wouldn't know, haven't seen it.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-23 03:00pmIIRC, the first two eps were after Sunday Night Football then went to Thursday. IMO, it'll be canceled given that shitty timeslot.
I'm hoping one of two things happens:
- There are enough people watching via streaming that Fox can't cancel due to low viewership numbers.
- MacFarlane gets a chance to work on a Trek series after The Orville gets canceled.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

The slot is already changed to Thursday 9 pm
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-23 08:13pm
Batman wrote: 2017-09-23 05:27pm Isn't that the standard TV format?
Sure, but I don't like it with Seth MacFarlane. I can only take him in doses.
It isn't a typical Seth MacFarlane comedy, though. He's not doing a gag a minute like he would in a half hour format, because you can't do that in an hour long show.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Having now watched all 3 episodes so far I can say I am hooked. The show so far hits that rare perfect balance of action, comedy, and drama. I love that most of the humor is so dry and subtle it is easy to miss if you are not paying attention. The third episode managed to tackle a serious subject and make jokes without making the actual point the butt of a joke. That is an impressive feat of writing. It strikes me that so far The Orville is everything Paramount hopes the new Star Trek series will be.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/9/24/1 ... cap-review

Gender issues like this tend to confuse me so when I searched around the vibe I'm getting is that the episode was out of touch with the issues. Thoughts?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

AniThyng wrote: 2017-09-24 11:50pm https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/9/24/1 ... cap-review

Gender issues like this tend to confuse me so when I searched around the vibe I'm getting is that the episode was out of touch with the issues. Thoughts?
The average viewer has no fucking clue about the latest in gender theory; using all the jargon wouldn't have made one bit of difference and probably would have come off as actually confusing, rather than the non-confusing stuff that Ms. Framke seems to think are confusing for incomprehensible reasons. The episode is best treated as a "Yes, and..." moment rather than "RARGH IT ISN'T PERFECT, HULK SMASH!"

Edit: Never mind, she doesn't think the show's confusing for incomprehensible reasons; she fairly clearly thinks that because she didn't actually watch it. Lt. Kitan is the security chief, not "one of the Orville’s female technicians."
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2017-09-25 12:00amEdit: Never mind, she doesn't think the show's confusing for incomprehensible reasons; she fairly clearly thinks that because she didn't actually watch it. Lt. Kitan is the security chief, not "one of the Orville’s female technicians."
Given that she thinks *About a Girl* would be considered a "very special episode" of TNG, I doubt she's ever watched much Star Trek either.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm surprised Liam Neeson(sp) made a brief cameo. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
jamesraykenney
Redshirt

Post by jamesraykenney »

Enigma wrote: 2017-09-29 08:22am I'm surprised Liam Neeson(sp) made a brief cameo. :)
My mouth fell open when I heard his voice!!!

I was shocked at the level of violence of the 'execution' performed by kicking!
And then to follow it with the torture scene...
Man this show is 'not what is advertised'...
It is, however a great show...
It is like TOS without restrictions from censors or effects restrictions of the time.

I am REALLY liking this show MUCH more than I am liking STD(ST Discovery){very bad initials BTW} so far.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Union + Common sense > TNG-doctrinaire Feds

Very much like something we've seen Jim Kirk do. No wasting time handwringing or plan to death, just DO it. And no fucking around with torture-boy, just burn him down "Have a nice NAP" Captain Ed, you are impressing me. A lot
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Enigma wrote: 2017-09-29 08:22am I'm surprised Liam Neeson(sp) made a brief cameo. :)
Doesn't surprise me considering he has done cameos on Family Guy and he is also a lot like Patrick Stewart in that he'll do anything because he doesn't seem to have a stick up his ass.

I've always wondered if guys like McFarlane get big names to do things because he's willing to actually call them and be like"hey, want to do a part in my shitty thing?"

Note, I'm not making a value judgement against The Orville with that comment.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

TheFeniX wrote: 2017-09-29 06:39pm
Doesn't surprise me considering he has done cameos on Family Guy and he is also a lot like Patrick Stewart in that he'll do anything because he doesn't seem to have a stick up his ass.

I've always wondered if guys like McFarlane get big names to do things because he's willing to actually call them and be like"hey, want to do a part in my shitty thing?"

Note, I'm not making a value judgement against The Orville with that comment.
Heh. He literally said that's how he got Jon Favreau to direct the pilot. He called him up fully expecting to get hung up on, and next thing he knew he had the director of Iron Man running his TV show set. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

TheFeniX wrote: 2017-09-29 06:39pm
Pretty much, turns out a lot of the celebrities he gets are big Family Guy fans, McFarlane uses the cutaway gags as a pretense to get in touch with celebs he's a fan of. And being a producer, he turns a two second voice over into a long term business relationship
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Liking this so far. I wasn't sure what to expect - but the show is surprisingly engaging and sincere. The jokes work to deflate the pomposity that TNG often strayed into.

I've certainly bought into it a lot more than the new Star Trek show (which is at least on Netflix in the UK).

I am hoping it will find it's audience - as it's not at all what people might think when hearing the pitch 'Seth MacFarlane Star Trek Pastiche.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

jamesraykenney wrote: 2017-09-29 01:25pm Man this show is 'not what is advertised'...
Indeed. I think I've now got a handle of what kind of show the Orville is. Though I also thought that after the second episode.
It is like TOS without restrictions from censors or effects restrictions of the time.
For an episode with a concept very similar to a TOS episode, they produced a very different episode.
I am REALLY liking this show MUCH more than I am liking STD(ST Discovery){very bad initials BTW} so far.
Agreed. The Orville is also producing episodes that feel more like Star Trek than STD.

Which must be really annoying CBS.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-10-02 08:37am
jamesraykenney wrote: 2017-09-29 01:25pmI am REALLY liking this show MUCH more than I am liking STD(ST Discovery){very bad initials BTW} so far.
Agreed. The Orville is also producing episodes that feel more like Star Trek than STD.

Which must be really annoying CBS.
It's not like CBS has somehow lost the means/ability to make Trekky episodes. The blueprint is there, and they own the property. They deliberately chose to go in a different direction. What will annoy CBS is if The Orville is more successful because of its Trekkiness than STD is at... whatever it is doing (mushroom warp drive, wtf?).
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I'm not really a fan of FG/AD but Orville has really surprised me with its quality. Has a very TNGish feel to it, at least in the subjects covered anyway.

I can forgive the cheap CGI. It adds to the nostalgia.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Dartzap wrote: 2017-10-04 09:23amFG/AD
Objection: assumes antecedent not in evidence
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Whut

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

FG/AD ?

What does that stand for?
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Family Guy/American Dad. I think Houser is saying that 'The Orville' is unlike those two shows.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-10-04 10:31am Family Guy/American Dad. I think Houser is saying that 'The Orville' is unlike those two shows.
No, I was trying to be clever (and apparently failed) in asking what tezunegari was asking. It wasn't obvious to me what "FG/AD" was referring to.

I'm not familiar enough with those shows to comment beyond observing that they look stupid to me, and The Orville does not.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Ah. You lucky buggers who have never seen Family Guy. How I envy thee!