Replicators invade Star Trek galaxy

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Jedi Master

Re: Replicators invade Star Trek galaxy

Post by avatarxprime »

Stofsk wrote:
avatarxprime wrote:Yeah, but if you shot them with a bullet you'd never have to close to melee range. The entire "phasers or fists" fighting style used by most of the ST races is silly. If snapping a drone's neck works or stabbing it or ripping it apart, then shooting it should work too.
Why? That does not follow. Just because you can stab somebody doesn't mean you can shoot them. Some forms of armour against guns in the real world don't confer protection from blades after all.
My point is concerning physical damage based weapons getting around Borg defenses. Whether or not a bullet would work or you would need to use armor piercers or a bullet in the shape of a small blade with a small explosive charge in it or whatever is not the issue. Regardless of the specific shape the weapon would take to circumvent Borg armor, a ranged physical impactor weapon should have been developed by Starfleet as part of their anti-Borg technology. We even know they still keep some bullet based weapons around, why not develop an anti-Borg version?
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

So What non omnipoint being could possibly stand a chance against the Replicators in the ST universe?
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Earth001 wrote:So What non omnipoint being could possibly stand a chance against the Replicators in the ST universe?
It could be a stretch, but possibly the guys from the Think Tank (assuming they survived their fight with the Hazari)?
We know very little about them beyond that they have ridiculously higher tech than everyone else, Borg included. They also had a policy of not making superweapons upon request, which suggests they have the capacity to do so...

The fact that they're a single ship doesn't do them any favours.
/shrug
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Earth001 wrote:So What non omnipoint being could possibly stand a chance against the Replicators in the ST universe?
As has already been made clear several times in this thread? Given that this is the Star Trek Online timeline we're working with - the Federation might well be able to take them on, especially given the Replicators' well-established vulnerability to projectile weapons and the Federation's increasingly violence-where-necessary and survive-by-any-means-necessary mindset.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

You can't know the answer to this one.

Canon replicator behaviour is to seek out the most advanced technology, proceed toward in a straight line and attempt to consume it. Without counting god-races, that's still not the Federation. Depending where you draw the line on what's out of scenario due to being a god race, it's the likes of the First Federation, the Kelvans or even the Metrons.

At the very least, it's the Dominion, who for all their flaws in running a war, were said to be more developed than the UFP technologically.

By the time the Replicators bothered to come after the Federation, they'll either be dead from having picked a fight with someone really capable, or in overwhelming numbers that it won't matter if starfleet is entirely composed of Chesty Pullers, either they're totally doomed by facing off against vastly superior numbers and technology, or someone's already taken care of it.

Frankly, it might take centuries before they bother coming after the Federation, for the raw materials of their civilization.

As we know next to nothing of say, the Kelvan Empire's ships, except that they're faster than anything the Federation or any comparable power has, we can't know if they'd be able to defeat the replicators.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Although it's true Replicators run after the most advanced tech, you can't assume they'd skip over the Federation and other AQ powers. For them to charge after any of the groups you mentioned, they'd need to know about them first. Since the OP states that they end up deep in the Beta quadrant and in the immediate vicinity of a Klingon BoP then we know the Replicators will start there and begin exploring and replicating from that point out. We also know in canon that just replicating is a chief priority for Replicators and without anything better to do, they will seek out more material to replicate. It would seem more likely then that until the Replicators do detect some advanced race that piques their interest they will simply spread out from their starting point, consuming anything they happen to encounter.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

After consuming one Klingon Bird of Prey they will go for the power who is most advanced as recorded in its memory banks.

The Klingons are aware at least, of the Kelvans and the Dominion.

The Replicators will then follow their canon behaviour and head directly to the most advanced technology around. Yes, on one occasion they headed to Earth, based on Thor's ship's computer, but it's reasonably likely that the Asgard knew about the existance of Ancient facilities on Earth (given that he later had no difficulty beaming O'Neill up from one)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

So Could the Borg stand a chance against them? I am not sure if this was already discussed in this but I was wondering what would happen if a assimlated ship by the replicators was detected at the transwarp hub that voyager was at?
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

I might be missing something, but why is every one saying “ the federation will just exploit there bullet weakness”? the Borg have this weakness to a degree, yet it took the federation many encounters to discover that the weakness existed. I truly dought that a ships going to be infected, and the science officer will instantly say “captain, these bugs are eating our computers, which is vagly like what the Borg eregenly did, maby guns will work.”;doesn’t seem to be overly likely. Also the Asgard of Season 5-7 had weapons massively more deadly then what the klingons, romulons, and fed’s have. Plus there ability to covertly hack Asgard, Ancient, tau’ri, and Gould computers, long before the inhabitants can effectively mount a full clinsing;i dought star trek will put up a real fight in the opening conflicts.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

lordofchange13 wrote:I might be missing something, but why is every one saying “ the federation will just exploit there bullet weakness”? the Borg have this weakness to a degree, yet it took the federation many encounters to discover that the weakness existed. I truly dought that a ships going to be infected, and the science officer will instantly say “captain, these bugs are eating our computers, which is vagly like what the Borg eregenly did, maby guns will work.”;doesn’t seem to be overly likely. Also the Asgard of Season 5-7 had weapons massively more deadly then what the klingons, romulons, and fed’s have. Plus there ability to covertly hack Asgard, Ancient, tau’ri, and Gould computers, long before the inhabitants can effectively mount a full clinsing;i dought star trek will put up a real fight in the opening conflicts.
It's because the OP stated that the scenario is in STO-era. By then, the Feddies were using a greater variety of weapons, and would actually likely find the Rep's weakness to bullets.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Darth Tedious wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:I might be missing something, but why is every one saying “ the federation will just exploit there bullet weakness”? the Borg have this weakness to a degree, yet it took the federation many encounters to discover that the weakness existed. I truly dought that a ships going to be infected, and the science officer will instantly say “captain, these bugs are eating our computers, which is vaguely like what the Borg eregenly did, maby guns will work.”;doesn’t seem to be overly likely. Also the Asgard of Season 5-7 had weapons massively more deadly then what the klingons, romulons, and fed’s have. Plus there ability to covertly hack Asgard, Ancient, tau’ri, and Gould computers, long before the inhabitants can effectively mount a full clinsing;i dought star trek will put up a real fight in the opening conflicts.
It's because the OP stated that the scenario is in STO-era. By then, the Feddies were using a greater variety of weapons, and would actually likely find the Rep's weakness to bullets.
But did they make a point of carrying a supply of KE guns. How did they arm them selves with out pryer knowledge of there enemy? Even if they had KE guns at the ready,that will only delay the replicators. They're likely partially armed with phasers,disruptors,and KE weapons. so some of the buggers will get through, mess with computer systems(do they have human forms?) hampering the organics movement,and star trek isn't known for there highly adaptive tactics. say they do fight off boarders,there will still be problems. the replicators aren't mindless, if they're threatened they fight back, which would logically include the BAD ASS Asgard weapons on they're ship. If they suite up captured ships like they did in Exodus ; then the Trekkies will have a fleet of ships that can fly through several galaxy's in a few moments, guns that kill god ships, plus transporters that actually work as weapons. the replicator whips will just "glass" planets untill all the inhabitants are dead and then eat the metal.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Darth Tedious wrote: would actually likely find the Rep's weakness to bullets.
I never sayed they wouldn't. I just don't think they will find the weakness, and see it as such(and not a weird fluke) before the Replicators will all ready have a few ships, and thats all they need. Let the techno plague spread! :twisted:
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Agreed. I really don't think it'd make terribly much difference whether the Feds worked it out or not, they'd still be toast.

Though, I think Necronlord did raise the most salient point, in that the Reps would bypass the Federation and go straight for the Dominion, the Borg, or another more advanced civilisation. By the time they came back for the UFP, they'd have an insurmountable advantage.

Ryag Han
Youngling

Post by Ryag Han »

even if ST finds out about the replicator kryptonite of bullets, what dose it matter? the only way replicators can seriously and decisively dealt with are ARG's. and it took the Dakara Superweapon and a galaxy wide array of instant transportation in order to get every last one of them at the same time.

then its the issue of inventing say weapon. it took the knowledge of a multi-million year old civilization to make it, when one at least some 100,000 years, or more, faille. say what you want about how advance trek tech is, it's not even close! even if they invent said weapon, there's the distribution issue: eliminating every last one of them at the same time, in the entire galaxy, cuz if even one ship escapes, they won't fall for the same trick twice.
95% of people laugh at other people because they are different. Copy this into your profile if you are a part of the 5% that laughs at the other 95% because they're all the same

RAT-FLAIR
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Ryag Han wrote:even if ST finds out about the replicator kryptonite of bullets, what dose it matter?
For starters, the spider replicators cease to be a threat?
the only way replicators can seriously and decisively dealt with are ARG's.
Says who? Burning them up via atmospheric reentry, killing them via ship self-destruct or even shooting them with modern day explosives seems to work just fine. ARGs are the quick and easy solution, not the only one.
and it took the Dakara Superweapon and a galaxy wide array of instant transportation in order to get every last one of them at the same time.
So they don't have the means to kill all of them in all of the galaxy at the same time. Big deal. They have to kill the replicators as they find them. Worked okay in the Stargate universe.
then its the issue of inventing say weapon. it took the knowledge of a multi-million year old civilization to make it, when one at least some 100,000 years, or more, faille. say what you want about how advance trek tech is, it's not even close!
Presumes this is the only way to beat the replicators. Curious. Spider replicators remain vulnerable to bullets, and replicator infested Ha'taks don't become magically invulnerable to conventional weapons.
even if they invent said weapon, there's the distribution issue: eliminating every last one of them at the same time, in the entire galaxy, cuz if even one ship escapes, they won't fall for the same trick twice.
Big deal. So your magic easy solution weapon only works once. To the very end of the series they never adapted to projectile weapons.

Mind you, I don't think the AQ can win this one even if the best the replicators can take over are the Borg, but the reasons you put forward for why this would be the case are garbage.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ryag Han
Youngling

Post by Ryag Han »

momentary.
Says who? Burning them up via atmospheric reentry, killing them via ship self-destruct or even shooting them with modern day explosives seems to work just fine. ARGs are the quick and easy solution, not the only one.
yeah, atmospheric reentry destroying your ship...
So they don't have the means to kill all of them in all of the galaxy at the same time. Big deal. They have to kill the replicators as they find them. Worked okay in the Stargate universe.[/i].
yeah, and if you can't do that, they just keep on coming, and coming and come some more.
Presumes this is the only way to beat the replicators. Curious. Spider replicators remain vulnerable to bullets, and replicator infested Ha'taks don't become magically invulnerable to conventional weapons.
yes, that's how dangerous replicators are. you got one, single shot. and you kinda miss the point; its the only way to DEFEAT them all, as in, WIN A WAR. since they don't negotiate...you can kill the one infesting your ship, if you act quick enough, but there are always more where they come from.
Big deal. So your magic easy solution weapon only works once. To the very end of the series they never adapted to projectile weapons.
again, if you don't do that they just keep on coming. sure, 1000 of them infest your ship, but you win. there's billions more!
Mind you, I don't think the AQ can win this one even if the best the replicators can take over are the Borg, but the reasons you put forward for why this would be the case are garbage.
[/quote] garbage why? did you actually watch the show to have any idea just how fucked you are if they want your technology?
95% of people laugh at other people because they are different. Copy this into your profile if you are a part of the 5% that laughs at the other 95% because they're all the same

RAT-FLAIR
Ryag Han
Youngling

Post by Ryag Han »

momentary.
yeah, atmospheric reentry destroying your ship...they can easily override self-destruct, explosives just pisses them off.
So they don't have the means to kill all of them in all of the galaxy at the same time. Big deal. They have to kill the replicators as they find them. Worked okay in the Stargate universe.[/i].
yeah, and if you can't do that, they just keep on coming, and coming and come some more.
yes, that's how dangerous replicators are. you got one, single shot. and you kinda miss the point; its the only way to DEFEAT them all, as in, WIN A WAR. since they don't negotiate...you can kill the one infesting your ship, if you act quick enough, but there are always more where they come from.
again, if you don't do that they just keep on coming. sure, 1000 of them infest your ship, but you win. there's billions more!
garbage why? did you actually watch the show to have any idea just how fucked you are if they want your technology?

RAT-FLAIR
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Ryag Han wrote:
momentary.
For keeps. They never adapt to conventional firearms to the very end of the series.
yeah, atmospheric reentry destroying your ship
Which changes the replicators being destroyed how exactly?
...they can easily override self-destruct
If they're actually on the ship that's self-destructing.
, explosives just pisses them off.
Ignoring the idiocy of this statement as apparently ordinary 9x19mm bullets can kill a spider replicators, nevermind more powerful rounds, I dimly recall conventional torpedoes killing all the replicators on that russian sub, replicator resilience is apparently tied to the material they have to work with to replicate.No Stargate level supertech unless they find a species with that kind of technology.
Of course, that just means enter the Q, the Douwd, the Organians...All of which might have the means to give the replicators the finger.
Why? Because you say so? Trek has a plethora of species that could give the Ancients a run for their money (though whether or not they'd bother to get involved is anyone's guess), even the AQ powers alone have far more starships than the Tau'ri/Goa'uld/Wraith ever did (or at least have far more starships reasonably quickly available. Fleets of hundreds were a given in DS9. About the only time I saw a fleet even approaching that size in SG-1 was when Carter intentionally blew up a star.
yes, that's how dangerous replicators are. you got one, single shot. and you kinda miss the point; its the only way to DEFEAT them all, as in, WIN A WAR.
Um no it's not? It's the only way to magically end the war in an instant, nothing more.
since they don't negotiate...you can kill the one infesting your ship, if you act quick enough, but there are always more where they come from.
Not if you kill those, too.
again, if you don't do that they just keep on coming.
So I keep killing them.

sure, 1000 of them infest your ship, but you win. there's billions more![/quote]
So I kill those, too. So far, the only things the replicators are invulnerable to is magic anti replicator weapons after the first use. Everything else seems to work a-ok, provided you have the oomph to make it through their defenses.
garbage why? did you actually watch the show to have any idea just how fucked you are if they want your technology?
I did. I'm not entirely certain you did.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ryag Han
Youngling

Post by Ryag Han »

For keeps. They never adapt to conventional firearms to the very end of the series.
just shooting them never worked because their so many and multiply so fast, they simply overrun the ship.
if your gonna blow up every ship they board, then why not just surrender?
your talking about ''Small victories'', when it only worked because they self-destruct in hyperspace. and Thor said clear that won't work again. otherwise, why self-destruct if their NOT on the ship?lol
Ignoring the idiocy of this statement as apparently ordinary 9x19mm bullets can kill a spider replicators, nevermind more powerful rounds, I dimly recall conventional torpedoes killing all the replicators on that russian sub, replicator resilience is apparently tied to the material they have to work with to replicate.No Stargate level supertech unless they find a species with that kind of technology./quote]
they only defeated the sub replicators cuz of the material. if they were made of better material, they would have left the sub, and the only reason it didn't turn into a full out invasion was that they were stuck there.
Of course, that just means enter the Q, the Douwd, the Organians...All of which might have the means to give the replicators the finger.

1. No Omnipoint beings (Q and other creatures0
Why? Because you say so? Trek has a plethora of species that could give the Ancients a run for their money (though whether or not they'd bother to get involved is anyone's guess),
really? the guys who practically seeded life in two galaxies, invented stargates, acceded, etc. why bring the Ancients anyways? all the guys who can match the Ancients are either gone or never interfere. also, mind you, trek mostly uses Duranium for ship building, probably not as good as Neutronium, its still better than steel. see? no need to invade Q.
even the AQ powers alone have far more starships than the Tau'ri/Goa'uld/Wraith ever did (or at least have far more starships reasonably quickly available. Fleets of hundreds were a given in DS9. About the only time I saw a fleet even approaching that size in SG-1 was when Carter intentionally blew up a star.
really now? battle of dakara, battle of Abydos, battle of P3Y-229 (the ori supergate) all showed very large numbers of ships.
Um no it's not? It's the only way to magically end the war in an instant, nothing more.
ok, let me put it this way: the replicators can out-man and out-gun them. you can't win by conventional war cuz they aren't a conventional enemy. they just multiply and they can adapt to the ARG. you can't just keep recalibrating it.
so you think you can just kill them all just with bullets?good luck then.
So I kill those, too. So far, the only things the replicators are invulnerable to is magic anti replicator weapons after the first use. Everything else seems to work a-ok, provided you have the oomph to make it through their defenses.
yes, defenses! their not stupid.
I did. I'm not entirely certain you did.
i was about to say the same thing

RAT-FLAIR
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Batman wrote: For keeps. They never adapt to conventional firearms to the very end of the series.
And the Viet Cong never adapted to conventional M-16s to the very end of the war... oh wait.
Man, that's also a vulnerability the Replicators share with those Romuloids in Star Trek: Nemesis. Man, why did Riker have to get into a bottomless pit fist fight with those boarders when, obviously, you can just destroy the enemy by atmospherically reentering your ship and destroying it along with them? With that tactic, the Federation is assured total victoly! :lol:
If your method of defeating them involves blowing up your own warships... you're not defeating them. :lol:
Ignoring the idiocy of this statement as apparently ordinary 9x19mm bullets can kill a spider replicators, nevermind more powerful rounds, I dimly recall conventional torpedoes killing all the replicators on that russian sub, replicator resilience is apparently tied to the material they have to work with to replicate.No Stargate level supertech unless they find a species with that kind of technology.
Or they just killfuck the other non-godly species that also have pseudo-supertech?
Why? Because you say so? Trek has a plethora of species that could give the Ancients a run for their money (though whether or not they'd bother to get involved is anyone's guess), even the AQ powers alone have far more starships than the Tau'ri/Goa'uld/Wraith ever did (or at least have far more starships reasonably quickly available. Fleets of hundreds were a given in DS9. About the only time I saw a fleet even approaching that size in SG-1 was when Carter intentionally blew up a star.
Hmm... how about when we had that battle royale between Anubis' fleet, the Free Jaffa's and the Replicators?

If the AQ powers could mass a large presence of forces to blow up the Replicators before the bugs build up a huge force, the bugs could lose.
sure, 1000 of them infest your ship, but you win. there's billions more!
This is true. Where do the billions of Replicators come from? The OP states that they only have two ships. If the Replicators are nipped at the bud, blown up before they can spread or take root, then there won't be billions of replicators.

The best way for the Replicators to "win" this is if they start absorbing smaller powers and build up their numbers. Then they could conceivably become a regional power and work their way up to match the larger AQ powers. Then it's conceivable that they could beat them, but this won't be a super-fast ridiculous wank thing, but will be a gradual development requiring careful planning on part of the Replicators.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Batman wrote: For keeps. They never adapt to conventional firearms to the very end of the series.
And the Viet Cong never adapted to conventional M-16s to the very end of the war... oh wait.
I hate to tell you (actually I don't particularly care either way but apparently it's one of those things you're supposed to say for some reason), but they didn't. Cong shot towards the very end of the war were just as dead as those shot at the beginning.
Man, that's also a vulnerability the Replicators share with those Romuloids in Star Trek: Nemesis. Man, why did Riker have to get into a bottomless pit fist fight with those boarders when, obviously, you can just destroy the enemy by atmospherically reentering your ship and destroying it along with them?
Granted, this particular gambit relies heavily on you having a planet nearby to try it, but as I said, this wasn't provided as a viable tactic so much as to show that the replicators absolutely can be killed by conventional means.
With that tactic, the Federation is assured total victoly! :lol:
That's funny, I here I thought I never said the Feds could actually win this. The reentry example was to show that brute force killing replicators absolutely is possible, no magic anti-replicator guns needed.
If your method of defeating them involves blowing up your own warships... you're not defeating them. :lol:
I absolutely am. No more ship, sure, but also no more replicators. It's a costly victory, but it's still a victory.
Or they just killfuck the other non-godly species that also have pseudo-supertech?
Or that. We simply know too little about all those once mentioned never seen again species to really tell.
Hmm... how about when we had that battle royale between Anubis' fleet, the Free Jaffa's and the Replicators?
Okay, or that. :D
sure, 1000 of them infest your ship, but you win. there's billions more!
This is true. Where do the billions of Replicators come from? The OP states that they only have two ships. If the Replicators are nipped at the bud, blown up before they can spread or take root, then there won't be billions of replicators.
Actually I hadn't even thought that far ahead, I was talking engagement by engagement, but yeah, nipping them in the bud should be possible too.
The best way for the Replicators to "win" this is if they start absorbing smaller powers and build up their numbers. Then they could conceivably become a regional power and work their way up to match the larger AQ powers. Then it's conceivable that they could beat them, but this won't be a super-fast ridiculous wank thing, but will be a gradual development requiring careful planning on part of the Replicators.
Upon rereading the OP I'm not sure why they'd even bother with the local powers. They already have Stargate level technology as they arrive on a Beliskner so essentially all they need is raw materials. For that, any uninhabited star system should do.
As again per the OP the Douwd, Q, Organians etc are out of the picture, the Trek galaxy is essentially screwed unless they can stop this early on.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Ryag Han wrote:
just shooting them never worked because their so many and multiply so fast, they simply overrun the ship.
Just shooting them never worked because nobody but SG-1 was ever doing any shooting. Throw in a battalion of infantry cum machine gun support and let's see what happens.
if your gonna blow up every ship they board, then why not just surrender?
Why surrender? You're apparently assuming that while every Trek galaxy ship will be infected there will be replicator ships left if those are destroyed when it's a lot more likely to be the other way round. All infested ships self-destructing leaves the galaxy with a number of intact ships while having a good chance of eradicating the replicators.
your talking about ''Small victories'', when it only worked because they self-destruct in hyperspace. and Thor said clear that won't work again.
Quote. Thor said it wouldn't work outside hyperspace because the replicator's shields would be up, no mention of 'it never working again' that I recall.
they only defeated the sub replicators cuz of the material. if they were made of better material, they would have left the sub, and the only reason it didn't turn into a full out invasion was that they were stuck there.
Meaning that they're essentially stuck with Star Trek level technology. Which can be beat by Star Trek level technology.
1. No Omnipoint beings (Q and other creatures0
Yeah, I kinda forgot about that. Of course that also means the replicators have no chance to get their hands on that kind of technology.
Why? Because you say so? Trek has a plethora of species that could give the Ancients a run for their money (though whether or not they'd bother to get involved is anyone's guess),
really? the guys who practically seeded life in two galaxies, invented stargates, acceded, etc.
It's Ascended. And yes. The Q civil war resulted in supernovas in the real universe (this being VOY almost inevitably in stars that couldn't possibly become supernovas). The one Douwd we ever met eradicated an entire interstellar civilization with a thought. Heck the bloody Traveler could amp up the E-D's Warp drive to a level that makes Wars hyperdrive look like standing still.
why bring the Ancients anyways? all the guys who can match the Ancients are either gone or never interfere.
Which I totally haven't mentioned. Oh wait. As the OP says the quasiomnipotents are out this is mostly moot anyway.
also, mind you, trek mostly uses Duranium for ship building, probably not as good as Neutronium, its still better than steel. see? no need to invade Q.
You do realize this made absolutely no sense.
even the AQ powers alone have far more starships than the Tau'ri/Goa'uld/Wraith ever did (or at least have far more starships reasonably quickly available. Fleets of hundreds were a given in DS9. About the only time I saw a fleet even approaching that size in SG-1 was when Carter intentionally blew up a star.
really now? battle of dakara, battle of Abydos, battle of P3Y-229 (the ori supergate) all showed very large numbers of ships.
Fleet numbers. I don't recall more than a couple dozen ships at the Ori supergate at best.
ok, let me put it this way: the replicators can out-man and out-gun them. you can't win by conventional war cuz they aren't a conventional enemy. they just multiply and they can adapt to the ARG. you can't just keep recalibrating it.
I don't need the ARG as it is completely possible to kill the replicators by conventional means.
so you think you can just kill them all just with bullets?good luck then.
I absolutely could. The question is will somebody in the Trek galaxy think of it in time.
yes, defenses! their not stupid.
Which changes the fact that they can be killed by ordinary means-how, exactly? And actually they are.
Ryag Han
Youngling

Post by Ryag Han »

Just shooting them never worked because nobody but SG-1 was ever doing any shooting. Throw in a battalion of infantry cum machine gun support and let's see what happens.
that's another issue. in a war, you win and loose battles. the replicators can just...replicate, more and more of themselves, while the crew of a ship can't. they eventually risk to get overwhelmed. also, as showed in ark of truth, replicators will try to reduce the enemy's resources by taking over the computer and seal doors to limit crew movement, reduce their communication ability, and so forth. its all a matter of how quick they react. if the replicators take out the...replicators of the ship :!: ...the crew can't produce kinetic weapons, so they have to have stocks of TR-116' or something. the replicators aren't stupid, they can easily get rid of the armories.
Why surrender? You're apparently assuming that while every Trek galaxy ship will be infected there will be replicator ships left if those are destroyed when it's a lot more likely to be the other way round. All infested ships self-destructing leaves the galaxy with a number of intact ships while having a good chance of eradicating the replicators.
and leaves you crippled. replicators were showed to easily bypass shields, so they will infect many, many of your ships. and they can bypass self-destruct, so just self-destructing won't solve very much.
Quote. Thor said it wouldn't work outside hyperspace because the replicator's shields would be up, no mention of 'it never working again' that I recall.
at the end of the episode he said, quote:
Maj.Carter's strategy worked, this time, but the replicators are very intelligent. it may not work again.
he said about their shield before Carter mentioned that they should do it in hyperspace, where they don't have shields.
Meaning that they're essentially stuck with Star Trek level technology. Which can be beat by Star Trek level technology.
explaining the above two: Duranium doesn't corrode in water, as far as i know. the sub thing worked cuz the replicators were corrosive. if they make Duranium replicators...doesn't matter any way.
It's Ascended. And yes. The Q civil war resulted in supernovas in the real universe (this being VOY almost inevitably in stars that couldn't possibly become supernovas). The one Douwd we ever met eradicated an entire interstellar civilization with a thought. Heck the bloody Traveler could amp up the E-D's Warp drive to a level that makes Wars hyperdrive look like standing still.
and? most don't give a fuck. would they even bother to notice the replicators?
Fleet numbers. I don't recall more than a couple dozen ships at the Ori supergate at best.
simply put, dosen't matter how many ships you see all at once. the Goa'uld lose ships all the time, but never seamed to run out. after all the mayhem in the galaxy over the ori crusade, the jaffa still had many ships. which doesn't really matter. trek probably has more ships...more ships, more for the replicators to infect.
I don't need the ARG as it is completely possible to kill the replicators by conventional means.
but you can't win the war by conventional means. what, are you gonna fire bullets at their ships? they have their own ships, way more advance than most things on st. if they can't board, their just gonna blow you up. if they don't board, your conventional means are useless. this is a space war after all.
I absolutely could. The question is will somebody in the Trek galaxy think of it in time.
again, what about those on their ships? bullets?

RAT-FLAIR
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Batman wrote:Upon rereading the OP I'm not sure why they'd even bother with the local powers. They already have Stargate level technology as they arrive on a Beliskner so essentially all they need is raw materials. For that, any uninhabited star system should do.
As again per the OP the Douwd, Q, Organians etc are out of the picture, the Trek galaxy is essentially screwed unless they can stop this early on.
The Replicators don't want just raw materials, they want any technology that they don't have(they also have a affinity for all ready precessed materials). The tech doesn't even have to be more advanced then them, look at the Jaffa, and Tau'ri, both drastically inferior to the replicators.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Ryag Han wrote:
that's another issue. in a war, you win and loose battles. the replicators can just...replicate, more and more of themselves, while the crew of a ship can't. they eventually risk to get overwhelmed.
Not if they keep killing replicators faster than they reproduce. Besides, the more replicators they create, the less ship there is for them to eventually take over. :D They may eventually overwhelm the defenders by sheer numbers...only to be left with a powerless hulk.
also, as showed in ark of truth, replicators will try to reduce the enemy's resources by taking over the computer and seal doors to limit crew movement, reduce their communication ability, and so forth.
Heck they've done that far earlier than Ark of Truth and to ships with actual computer security.
its all a matter of how quick they react. if the replicators take out the...replicators of the ship :!: ...the crew can't produce kinetic weapons, so they have to have stocks of TR-116' or something. the replicators aren't stupid, they can easily get rid of the armories.
This is the SFO era so far all I know they have slugthrowers up the wazoo stored everywhere on the ship (IIRC it was in FC where they had phaser rifles in a wall closet in a completely nondescript corridor). Or maybe they don't, who knows. The 24th century feds certainly wouldn't.
and leaves you crippled.
But alive.
replicators were showed to easily bypass shields
Really? Where? I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong but I can't offhand recall any incident where that happened or was referred to, so if you have a quote handy I'll happily concede that.
,so they will infect many, many of your ships.
Why? Because you say so? You start with one Beliskner. Every single replicator you lose to a ship self-destruct is lost. You try replacing them with the Beliskner's material, that ship is going to become inoperable on short order.
and they can bypass self-destruct, so just self-destructing won't solve very much.
It absolutely does if it goes through :D
at the end of the episode he said, quote:
Maj.Carter's strategy worked, this time, but the replicators are very intelligent. it may not work again.
he said about their shield before Carter mentioned that they should do it in hyperspace, where they don't have shields.
May not work again. Not will not work again.
explaining the above two: Duranium doesn't corrode in water, as far as i know. the sub thing worked cuz the replicators were corrosive.
I think you mean corroding (corrosive would mean they cause other stuff to corrode) and while it's been a while since I saw that episode I don't think SG-1 waited for the replicators to rust to death, they just blew the shit up out of them.
And frankly we have no idea wether or not duranium corrodes, not that I really see why this is important. They'll be made of duranium, and duranium can be destroyed by AQ weapons.
and? most don't give a fuck. would they even bother to notice the replicators?
Irrelevant, the OP already removed those from the picture anyway, so my bad.
simply put, dosen't matter how many ships you see all at once. the Goa'uld lose ships all the time, but never seamed to run out.
Which...doesn't tell us anything about their overall ship strength other than they lose X ships but still have Y left. X and Y are...?
after all the mayhem in the galaxy over the ori crusade, the jaffa still had many ships. which doesn't really matter. trek probably has more ships...more ships, more for the replicators to infect.
Or to kill the replicator invasion in the bud. Remember, they start out with one ship.
but you can't win the war by conventional means. what, are you gonna fire bullets at their ships? they have their own ships, way more advance than most things on st.
Um no they don't. Reread the OP. They have all of one Beliskner. Which is more powerful than any AQ ship we've seen so far, but it's also alone. Swarm it, have Geordi's granddaughter do something technobabbly with the Enterprise-G's navigational deflector, and this invasion is over :P
if they can't board, their just gonna blow you up. if they don't board, your conventional means are useless. this is a space war after all.
Um-they have all of one ship to start out with. Every other ship they catch, assuming they manage to do so, is going to be one the AQ is capable of destroying with sufficient numbers (including the Borg as seen in FC).
again, what about those on their ships? bullets?
As those are going to be Treknology ships, photon/quantum/plasma torpedoes, phasers/disruptors etc should do the job just fine.