Sci-fi lines that just hurt to listen to

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Sci-fi lines that just hurt to listen to

Post by Batman »

Junghalli wrote:
TOSDOC wrote:The Black Hole: Dr. Kate MacRae talking about her ship's mission, "Searching for habitable life."
Either she meant habitable planets, or the humans of the future have adapted themselves to living the life of fleas on gigantic aliens.
It might make some sense in the context of habitable planets, since it'd be pretty easy to imagine planets that have life but aren't habitable to humans. It could have referred to life with compatible biochemistry.
I'm sorry but no. 'Habitable to our kind of life' would do that, as would 'habitable' as you wouldn't call a planet habitable that isn't from your point of view. 'Habitable if you happen to breathe methane' or 'habitable if you don't mind the 4 g surface gravity' would work. Habitable life does I'm afraid mean settling on other lifeforms.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Space Whales, that's the awnser.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Batman wrote:I'm sorry but no. 'Habitable to our kind of life' would do that, as would 'habitable' as you wouldn't call a planet habitable that isn't from your point of view. 'Habitable if you happen to breathe methane' or 'habitable if you don't mind the 4 g surface gravity' would work. Habitable life does I'm afraid mean settling on other lifeforms.
I figure it might refer to biochemistry, since then it really is directly a question of whether the biosphere itself is human-friendly. It really isn't worth arguing over though.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Metahive wrote:Transcribing from the movie:

SPOCK PRIME: "129 years from now a star will explode and threaten to destroy the galaxy"

Yeah, not very ambiguous.
STO actually plays with that; the standard explanation, years and years after the destruction of Romulus, is "...fuck if we know why that happened." The possibility of a star exploding being dangerous to anything outside its local neighborhood is completely unexplainable, even by Star Trek technobabble science.
Spoiler
Later on, it's actually revealed - or at least heavily implied - that the event was actual foul play, with the supernova used as the trigger for some kind of massive superweapon, and that's what caused the super-uber-mega-wave-o'-DOOM.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Sea Skimmer wrote:

The only thing that could have been dumber is if Nero was handcuffed to a pipe and one of his men tossed him a hacksaw so he could get free. Five minutes later they come back and he's grasping a bleeding stump, severed hand on the floor.

"What the fuck just happened?"

"You gave me the hacksaw. I cut myself free."

"Yeah, but you were supposed to cut the chain!"

"Oh. You know, that does make more sense."
You realize most handcuffs are made of steel too hard to go through with a single hacksaw blade right? Hacksaws will not just cut through anything.
Even thin bones like the radius and ulna aren't exactly easy to cut through either. As I'm sure you know, living bone is a fairly dense and hard structure. He's specifically referencing Saw, wherein two men each have a hacksaw and are chained by the ankle to ordinary plumbing pipes, and while each gives up on sawing through the chain, neither is shown to try and saw the pipe, which should have been just as easy to saw through as their own ankle.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Destructionator XIII wrote: And half the scripts of the episodes 1,2, and 3 are filled with poor deliveries of lame lines. The worst of them all has got to be Windu's shit when arresting killing arresting killing Palpatine.
WRONG.

Da speediest way to da Naboo, is going through....

The plaaaanet cooore.

Now, go!
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

But it is. Naboo's core is filled with water.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:But it is. Naboo's core is filled with water.
That's what makes it so terrible.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I still have fond memories of the thread where Wong et al tried to somehow demonstrate that there was no way he literally meant planet core, since "we obviously see them going through water". Cue citation from Starwars.com that Naboo's planet core is water, and filled with marine life :lol:
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Well, that only means that Naboo's plumbing companies really went overboard. :P
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

adam_grif wrote:I still have fond memories of the thread where Wong et al tried to somehow demonstrate that there was no way he literally meant planet core, since "we obviously see them going through water". Cue citation from Starwars.com that Naboo's planet core is water, and filled with marine life :lol:
Yeah, it's pretty clear that whenever a line pops up in sci-fi, one should always go with the stupidest interpretation, as long as Ahriman George Lucas is involved. After all, all he does is rape childhoods, right?

Dumbest line that I can recall is probably "we have to heat the planet to cool it down" from, coincidentally enough, a Star Wars book. Apart from that, most awful lines that I can recall are meaningless outside of context.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Now, now, he doesn't rape childhoods.
He just disappoints adulthoods.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Bakustra wrote:Yeah, it's pretty clear that whenever a line pops up in sci-fi, one should always go with the stupidest interpretation, as long as Ahriman George Lucas is involved. After all, all he does is rape childhoods, right?
It probably was author's intent. There's certainly nothing in the movie itself to suggest that he meant anything other than what he said at face value (aside from the fact that Earthlike planets do not work that way).

I mean I don't think real world scientific verisimilitude was ever very high on the priorities of people who made Star Wars movies.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Bakustra wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty clear that whenever a line pops up in sci-fi, one should always go with the stupidest interpretation, as long as Ahriman George Lucas is involved. After all, all he does is rape childhoods, right?
No Bak, it's just that we had no reason to not take the statement at face value. You have to assume that the guy didn't know what a "core" was or that the word "core" means something in Starwars that it doesn't mean anywhere else. People didn't want to take it at face value because that would mean "it's stupid", and for some reason people have trouble swallowing a water filled, low temperature planet core but not hyperspace and planet destroying beams that are obviously not lasers but still called lasers anyway.

It was obviously the shroud of the dark side will of the force that the planet core be passable.

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Bakustra wrote:
adam_grif wrote:I still have fond memories of the thread where Wong et al tried to somehow demonstrate that there was no way he literally meant planet core, since "we obviously see them going through water". Cue citation from Starwars.com that Naboo's planet core is water, and filled with marine life :lol:
Come on, man. That line was a howler, pure and simple. Even the script has them taking a submarine through the core in the next scene.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

adam_grif wrote:
Bakustra wrote:
No Bak, it's just that we had no reason to not take the statement at face value. You have to assume that the guy didn't know what a "core" was or that the word "core" means something in Starwars that it doesn't mean anywhere else. People didn't want to take it at face value because that would mean "it's stupid", and for some reason people have trouble swallowing a water filled, low temperature planet core but not hyperspace and planet destroying beams that are obviously not lasers but still called lasers anyway.

It was obviously the shroud of the dark side will of the force that the planet core be passable.
Oh Christ. I suppose that you get in a tizzy whenever a downtown is not the lowest point of a city, or the city center is not in the exact geographical median? This is a line that is only as stupid as you make it, and people that say "well obviously George Lucas is mentally handicapped, uh, I mean, the people who made Star Wars don't care about scientific verisimilitude, yeah, that's it. Author's intent, man, author's intent! There are dozens of worse lines in Star Wars to draw upon. A number are in the prequels. That line is not all that bad in comparison. Kessel Runs in twelve parsecs are significantly worse. The "asteroid field" is significantly worse.
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

The Kessel run quote was obviously Han speaking out of his ass to sound impressive.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:The Kessel run quote was obviously Han speaking out of his ass to sound impressive.
Up-up-up! Author's intent. Lucas obviously had no intentions of scientific verisimilitude. (PS: that's exactly like what grif was mocking just a few posts up.)
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Bakustra wrote:Oh Christ. I suppose that you get in a tizzy whenever a downtown is not the lowest point of a city, or the city center is not in the exact geographical median? This is a line that is only as stupid as you make it, and people that say "well obviously George Lucas is mentally handicapped, uh, I mean, the people who made Star Wars don't care about scientific verisimilitude, yeah, that's it. Author's intent, man, author's intent!
I don't know why you have this apparent resistance to just admitting it's silly. :)
RedImperator wrote:Come on, man. That line was a howler, pure and simple. Even the script has them taking a submarine through the core in the next scene.
Although Grif does make a good point in a way. Nerds people will react with outrage at stuff like that but swallow all sorts of ridiculous stuff that breaks science as long as it's tech. It does strike me that there's a little bit of a pervasive double standard with realism, where some types of unrealism get whined about much more than others.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

My point is that something so easily dismissed is nothing near the level of calling poisonous snakes crawling all over you harmless.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Junghalli wrote:
Bakustra wrote:Oh Christ. I suppose that you get in a tizzy whenever a downtown is not the lowest point of a city, or the city center is not in the exact geographical median? This is a line that is only as stupid as you make it, and people that say "well obviously George Lucas is mentally handicapped, uh, I mean, the people who made Star Wars don't care about scientific verisimilitude, yeah, that's it. Author's intent, man, author's intent!
I don't know why you have this apparent resistance to just admitting it's silly. :)
RedImperator wrote:Come on, man. That line was a howler, pure and simple. Even the script has them taking a submarine through the core in the next scene.
Although Grif does make a good point in a way. Nerds people will react with outrage at stuff like that but swallow all sorts of ridiculous stuff that breaks science as long as it's tech. It does strike me that there's a little bit of a pervasive double standard with realism, where some types of unrealism get whined about much more than others.
It's a silly line, but people excuse equally silly lines all the time, just because they hate the prequels and/or love the original movies. Just as an example, the Kessel Run line and the core line both are easily stripped of stupid, but people will laugh at doing it to one and with doing it to the other. Basically, double standards.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Bakustra wrote:It's a silly line, but people excuse equally silly lines all the time, just because they hate the prequels and/or love the original movies. Just as an example, the Kessel Run line and the core line both are easily stripped of stupid, but people will laugh at doing it to one and with doing it to the other. Basically, double standards.
Personally the Kessel run line just doesn't stick out as much in my mind because it was just that - a line. The planet core line was the set-up for a whole scene, so naturally it's going to stick out more.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Those lines were entirely improvised by Ford, interestingly enough. According to people involved, the originals were apparently a lot more complex. I think Ford ad-libbed the majority of his lines on-set. I know that many of his most memorable were.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I dunno, they seem to be in the scripts I can look up online. Although maybe that's just updated.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Srelex wrote:I dunno, they seem to be in the scripts I can look up online. Although maybe that's just updated.
He definitely ad-libbed the dusting crops line, and switched parsec for standard time part in the Kessel Run line. I know that he ad-libbed a lot in general.