Battle: Los Angeles trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Dargos
Jedi Knight

Re: Battle: Los Angeles trailer

Post by Dargos »

The Battle: Los Angeles official site has a global map showing where current attacks are in progress. It appears the invaders are concentrating on coastal areas. I have the feeling that once again, evil space aliens wish to steal our worlds precious fluids and resources for themselves.

See picture that shows Evil Alien Oil Rig and World Map Of Doom.
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

If we're lucky it'll be because they're aquatic in origin. Hence them using what look like [sadly] humanoid robots for combat. Though they also appear to be using projectile weapons.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

What I would like to see is a return to the good old days thou. Have the aliens want earth women and water.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I'm not clear all those dots are attacks in progress. For example, they are devoting an awful lot of forces to parts of Alaska where there are no people to attack. We shouldn't take that map to mean anything, it's something the movies webdesigners came up with to look flashy, nothing more.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The "Refugee Dump" or "Territorial Adjustment" might be an interesting idea in a decently budget tv-series/movies with some less-than-hard sci-fi elements (like some form of FTL).

I can just imagine it - an alien flotilla/ship shows up, gets in contact with one or more human governments, and basically says, "Hello humans, your solar system has ended up in the territory of the Kaa Hive after a 2500 year territory dispute, and your planet just happens to be one in which they can live openly without constantly taking medicine to keep the local biota from eating them alive. They want areas X,Y, and Z for their dwellings and facilities, and if you try and shoot down the landing ships, they'll burn a bunch of cities."
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Artemas
Padawan Learner

Post by Artemas »

And then they start bulldozing human cities becuase the humans didn't have the proper housing permits?
Shrooms: It's interesting that the taste of blood is kind of irony.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Artemas wrote:And then they start bulldozing human cities becuase the humans didn't have the proper housing permits?
That, and pillaging the cities in the areas they want to settle in for building materials. While lording it over any humans they come across, and just generally being dismissive to any human concerns.

You could also factor alien norms of property and propriety into it. District 9 had some of that, where the Prawns would engage in casual theft for a while because they had different norms of property.

Come to think of it, that might make a decent series of sci-fi novels.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Holy shit, apparently the dudes that made Skyline were originally hired to do the effects for B:LA. As in, they got hired to do this movie, then decided to make their own "aliens invade LA" film while working on the previous one. Classy gentlemen.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
Artemas wrote:And then they start bulldozing human cities becuase the humans didn't have the proper housing permits?
That, and pillaging the cities in the areas they want to settle in for building materials. While lording it over any humans they come across, and just generally being dismissive to any human concerns.
The Uplift series by David Brin already has something close to that. Most of the Galactic races wanted to either make humans a client species of some established Patron species or simply exterminate them for ecological mismanagement of Earth. One of the arguments presented by them is that humans did not have proper permits from Institute of Migration to colonize Earth :lol:
spartasman
Padawan Learner
Location: Parachuting with murderers into the Hollywood Hills

Post by spartasman »

The videos appear to show Alien soldiers/drones emerging from the water in that beach scene. All of the cities show under attack on that map seem to be either on the coast or on major river systems. That, and the those egg things that were showed in the sewer, and the alien drone that popped out of the swimming pool would put my guess at them being a semi-aquatic species at least.

Maybe those 'drones' are simply combat suits that hold the aliens, like President Nixons head in Futrama.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Samuel Clemens
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

According to imdb, the motive behind the invasion is Spoiler
that they want our water.
BotM Cybertronian
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Spoiler
It's not like ice isn't a common material in space...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:According to imdb, the motive behind the invasion is Spoiler
that they want our water.

Seriously, that's the no.1 "AWOOOOGA!" alert should we ever make contact with aliens. There needs to be some guy at NORAD who just presses the button as soon as they say "We want your water".

Because clearly they're fucking lying.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

The only thing that I can think of that the Earth is unique in is our biology. Obviously in an alien invasion story, other lifeforms exist, but it's likely that our biology is different from theirs. Maybe they're like scientists who want to study/dissect various life forms and consider our sentience unimportant.
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

The director quoted about it:
http://io9.com/5594126/battle-los-angel ... o-trash-la
So why are the aliens coming to Earth in the first place? Liebesman explains: "Earth is 70 percent water. The aliens in our movie use water for may different things, so they are here for those natural resources."
BotM Cybertronian
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

That's so fucking stupid. By volume Earth is a whole fucking lot less than 70% water. Sure, lots of its surface is covered in water, but my mass water makes up a relatively small percentage of the stuff on the planet.

And there's tons on uninhabited water sources in the solar system. There are entire fucking moons made up of it. "We want your water" is a criminally fucking retarded reason for aliens to attack our planet. Water is one of the most common compounds in the universe, unless I'm mistaken. It's not like you need to look very hard for the stuff.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, fuck this movie then.

Unless it's a case of they've siphoned off all the other sources in the solar system for now and the "war" is started by them going: "chill folks, we just want to share your water" and it having the response of some scientist in the White House doing a spit-take and screaming: "NUKE THEM NOW!"
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

weemadando wrote:Well, fuck this movie then.

Unless it's a case of they've siphoned off all the other sources in the solar system for now and the "war" is started by them going: "chill folks, we just want to share your water" and it having the response of some scientist in the White House doing a spit-take and screaming: "NUKE THEM NOW!"
This is one of those movies where the motive for the invasion is obviously superfluous and thought up almost after large parts of the script was done.
BotM Cybertronian
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

God damn it! Can someone PLEASE tell Hollywood how much fucking WATER there is out there? There's 3 moons of Jupiter that each have as much or more water than our planet, and nobody's living there!

Speaking of the permits, though, I envisioned an alt-hist where aliens attack earth in the 1980's. Its actually a cabal of alien businessmen and they have to fight according to the 'established galactic rules of war', so they are reduced to minimal troops, no bombarding of population centers, and arming proxies with advanced tech. So it becomes an unlikely axis of powers like Argentina, Brazil, south africa, etc, against NATO and the Warsaw pact.

Things get interesting, however, when alien news correspondants, diplomats, businessmen, and humanitarian workers start decending on earth. Alien Bono visiting refugee camps in central America was fun to write.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Were any of you seriously expecting reasonable motivations :lol:

Maybe if we all write angry letters, nobody will ever make a big budget alien invasion movie with a dumb motivation ever again. Who knows? Perhaps one day we'll get an adaptation of The Killing Star or something.
Speaking of the permits, though, I envisioned an alt-hist where aliens attack earth in the 1980's. Its actually a cabal of alien businessmen and they have to fight according to the 'established galactic rules of war', so they are reduced to minimal troops, no bombarding of population centers, and arming proxies with advanced tech. So it becomes an unlikely axis of powers like Argentina, Brazil, south africa, etc, against NATO and the Warsaw pact.

Things get interesting, however, when alien news correspondants, diplomats, businessmen, and humanitarian workers start decending on earth. Alien Bono visiting refugee camps in central America was fun to write.
Another option is to be attacked by an alien individual (or small group of individuals) instead of "oh my god their whole species is invading aaaah!!!!" They would be some sort of postsingularity society where individuals go off and do whatever they want to stave off boredom in their indefinite lifespans, and some of them just happened to decide that they wanted an "old fashioned" conventional war against an alien population. They have deliberately reduced the capability of their robot armies to make the fight "interesting", which prevents the alien curb-stomp via invincible shields and ortillery scenario.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Lurks-no-More
Redshirt

Post by Lurks-no-More »

adam_grif wrote:Were any of you seriously expecting reasonable motivations :lol:
I can tolerate some pretty stupid motivations, but this "Space is a desert!" thingy just makes me irrationally pissed off. It's so obviously a brainbug based on people who learned, in their childhood, that Mars and Venus and Mercury have no (liquid) water, and haven't payed a moment's notice on even the most rudimentary popular planetary science.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Water? Isn't that exactly what the Visitors from V wanted as well (and human T-bone steak)? Hey, maybe they're under attack from those nudist aliens that harassed Mel Gibson in Signs and they just happen to have emptied all their squirt guns right now.
Hey, water's also what those fucking Kazon were after, the stupidest race conceived for ST ever. Alien Invaders + Water = Crap, that is the formula, write it onto your eyelids, Hollywood execs.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, it makes some sense if the oceans are their natural habitat. Of course, in that case, they are not after the water itself - just like Hitler didn't try to conquer eastern europe for it's humus.
And of course, if that was actually the case, just asking for it might work. Then again, maybe not, given all the fishing and waste and the importance of sea travel.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Maybe they've already drained those sources in the solar system, and want more? :? Who cares anyway? I doubt they'll mention it in the film.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I am somehow troubled by the thought of an aquatic race being even capable to discover space travel in some way. Oceans aren't really a habitat that supports the sort of scientific advancements I'd presume to be vital for the eventual discovery of space travel, most importantly electricity. So I'd presume more of an amphibian race if Lebensraum's the way they wish to go.
Nah, I'll stick to them needing to fight off the Nudist Aliens from Signs. Next they'll be after our wooden doors too.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer