Imperial InfantryMan's uplifting Primer analysis thread

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Gunhead wrote:
I was just thinking. Maybe the biggest difference is the commissars rank.
Don't commissars have an internal rank system? By which I mean an average rank and file commissar that hangs around a platoon HQ has no business of telling a brigade commander what he was or should be doing.
It's a lot simpler to be a "by the book" man when your station is 100km (or more ) from the front lines. Well this would quite neatly explain why commissars who are in the thick of things are more lenient, since they do have to live with the men, and people closer to the top are more easily a lot harsher.
Btw. if there is an established rank system for the commissars, it would be nice to see it.

-Gunhead
Cain mentions that commissars are typically "ranked" by their veterancy/years served, IIRC. He mentioned it in the one where that one lardass commissar was trying to ruin his career, the title slips my mind.

I don't know where double-rankers fit in; Colonel-Commissar Gaunt gets told by a certain general in Necropolis that he (the general) is in charge. Commissars, to my knowledge, have absolute authority to ignore the IG officers, I believe Cain mentions this more than once. Perhaps holding a double-rank has some sort of effect on this.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Wouldn't it be more of a case that IG officers are not direct superiors to commissars and so cannot issue orders to commissars? It's a small difference, but under normal circumstances the officer is the leader of his unit and what he says goes. And while a commissar is not required to follow orders given by the officer, he also cannot countermand those orders unless there is sufficient reason to do so. I would say a commissar would observe that given orders are followed.
I've always thought commissars are bit like outside observers and are only allowed to intervene if an officer / squad leader etc. dies or fucks up badly enough.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Gunhead wrote: I wasn't intentionally strawmaning there, sorry about that. I just wanted to know if lasgun with a rof of 480-720rpm or a very similar weapon could be considered the standard when it comes to lasgun performance.
The weapons he had access to had "Mars" or "rhyza" pattern stocks (wood or wire-stocks") so they may be variations on the standard M-G pattern. The Ghosts seem to use variants on the M-G pattern as well (and they can drain powerpacks fairly quickly, such as in First and Only.)

As if that doesn't complicate things, let's not forget that the Imperial Armour tend to go with single shot (or slower) (Elysian and Krieg guns), The 3rd edition rules indicate that they're semi-automatic as standard, while Wargear and the earlier edition "battle manual" (same data in both) indicate they fire "machien gun like hails" of ammo. Again, I question just how universal one can apply "standard" to the weapon, especialyl given the objections I have alreay raised about the Primer (cf autopistols.)
Different rof is easily explained by variations in design and yes I agree that lasguns vary in design. How much is the question. Most fluff support the notion that lasguns fire individual bolts and so rof plays a role when measuring how effective the weapon is yes?
Yes and no. There's nothign wrong with firing individual bolts when you're dealign with a variable-output weapon. Put wattage into play and "single shots" can become much more effective (high energy intput over short period of time leads to a more explosive effect.) Nevermind accuracy/aiming considerations.

Power output may also play a role with rate of fire - the barrel and other components of the gun will have finite energy handling capabilities over a given period of time (wattage again) Higher energy and/or higher power blasts may neccesitate fewer shots due to the strain put on the barrel (much like with hotshot packs, in fact.) in addition to the ammo consumption concerns. Lower power bursts may allow for more shots.

There's also the fact that the nature of a laser weapon make them extremely precise, which means that "spraying" with a las weapon won't work quite the same way as it does with a slugthrower, ,which again influences how ROF will work with the weapon. (Again, a sustained beam is best there.)
And since the IoM builds tanks AFVs and other military equipment according to STC designs it would make sense that lasguns are also churned out at astonishing rates at various locations.
Yes, and many of those "other things" tend to exhibit quite a degree of variation in the "standardized" designs - differences in armament, powerplant (nuclear, wood/plant, gasoline, etc.)

So how much varied lasgun performance is due to a same weapon doing different things and how much is due to completely different design?
STC designs are considered to somewhat inviolate. But the great need for infantry weapons could outweigh those concerns so we get a variety of different types of lasguns being made. Now STC machines are rare and I doubt those plants are the sole source of lasguns but new lasgun factories that are built, build the same or very similar lasgun as resources permit.
See, here I will go ahead and point out that many sources, the Uplifting Primer included, indicate lasguns are very VERY modular weapons and highly customizable. you can alter the stocks, the scopes, the barrels, and the powerpacks rather easily. A sniper weapon is largely differentiated by the type of powerpack, ,scope, and barrel it uses. Some lasguns use longer barrels, some use shorter. Some use different kinds of powerpacks. Some lasguns are short ranged but high powered (Balurian heavy infantry from Grey Knights being a good example, and "hundreds" of Balurians fired "thousands" of shots a second from their las weapons in that novel.)

Lasguns, like most Imperial gear, are "standardized" insofar as the components they ar ebuilt from are concerned, but there is still plenty of room for customization and variation in them. Which is basically what we see in ANYTHING the Imperial Guard uses (Tanks, small arms, other gear, etc.)
So couldn't there be a "family" of lasguns that are almost identical as lasguns by very nature has to be a weapon that can be produced almost anywhere and the differences between weapons in that family would be small. By small I mean stuff like stocks, sights, built in accessories and rof.
3rd edition rules, page 61 wrote: There are many different designs of lasgun and pistol, and most worlds produce their own versions, made of locally available materials, be it ceramite alloys, thermo-set plastics, or even wood fittings.
Given that and what we actually see in the novels and fluff, I'd say thre's a limit on how "small" small is. Again, its a bloody modular weapo as it is (a side effect of its ease of repair) so its not all that damn difficult to modify. Changing rate of fire, as I explained, is simply a matter of dictating how much energy the weapon dischrages in a given period of time.

If you really want to get pednatic about that example, the mere fact that "different materials may be used" can have a dramatic impact on lasgun performance, since the thermal and mechanical properties of materials can vary, thus impacting the performance of lasguns. And I already explained how power and energy will influence rate of fire.
As for the autogun, well. If we take the high value and say it's 150rpm sustained.... well I'm just guesstimating here, this depends on the shooter. But let's say 5 round bursts 3seconds per burst = 18seconds say 5 to reload that's 23seconds + 18 + 5 + 18 = 90 rounds (aimed bursts) 64 seconds. Well if the given rof for the autogun isn't cyclic it's not that bad.
150 rpm cyclic would be horrible for an automatic weapon.
I see, so I point out that the stats are flawed and you start playing fast and loose with the definition of "rate of fire", despite what ew know from the lasgun entry? Despite the fact that the weapon is "single or automatic", but no burst fire (its still pathetic no matter how you twist the data)? Despite the fact that (as you seem to ignore) A Guardsman would fire faster on single than he would on automatic?
Funny enough. if you ignore the cyclic part about the ULP lasgun's rof and assume it's sustained, it's not that bad either.
But it comes down to the basic point that either way, the stats are fucked up somehow insofar as treating it as a "universal" standard goes.
Fair enough. Then the number of heavy weapons a squad can have would depend on the availability of said weapons. If the above is true then autocannons and hvy. stubbers should be the most common as organic heavy weapons a squad has.
... You're not listening. It depends on the fucking world raising the Regiment. They all have their own preferences as to weapons distributions. This is covered again in the Guard Codexes.
Mortars, lascannons and missile launchers
are a bit different ballgame. Now a squad has around 10 men. 1 mortar alone has a crew of three or something similar.Same for the missile launcher. Not sure about the lascannon, but the point I'm making is this. if the squad is 10 people your heavy weapon takes 30% of the squad to operate.
Try two. If the person is exceptionally strong like a ganger Heavy or the Tanith's Bragg (and it doesnt seem to be as unsuual as one might assume, I've run across this in several novels.) then a single person can heft it. And not all squads neccesarily will carry a heavy weapon. (you could have the command squad and another squad or two acting with heavy weapons, for example.)

And there still are the specialized heavy weapons platoons (which are composed of individual squads as well as a command squad.) which can also vary in number and organization depending on whose raising the regiment. There's also the issue of Chimeras (which can offer fire support in armoured fist squads) and Sentinels (which also can offer fire support.) So it's not just a matter of man-portable heavy weapons.
All the said weapons are best utilized out of enemy infantry's range. Mortars can be and should be deployed so far back that they're safe from direct fire. Same goes for missiles and to a lesser extent lascannons. Even if taking into account the possibility that said weapons are lighter than RL equivalents they'd still be heavy and bulky. Keeping up with the more lightly equipped infantry would be a challenge. This is considering just the weapon itself. Mortars and missile launchers also require ammo. I don't know about the ammo requirements of a lascannon.
Well gee, I'd have been too stupid to figure out that heavy weapons like mortars (indirect fire weapons) should be set up far back from the enemy! Where the fuck did you get the idea that because a squad can have its own heavy weapons crew the said heavy weapons crew MUST stick with the squad at all times? Are you going to tell me the snipers do as well?

Seriously, where the fuck do you keep pulling these assumptions from?
Even if the squad is big enough so the manpower drain is a non issue, the lighter infantry is still faster than the heavy weapons crew. If you're constantly forced to wait around for them to appear, what good are they.
Mortars and missile launchers to a lesser extent are reliant on radios ( or what ever passes for a radio in 40K).
I'm growing fucking tired of your "pulled out of your ass" generlizations, here. Again, wher ethe fuck was this ever stated to be the case?
There should be, and I believe there is, weapons available similar to rpg-7 and lt. mortars. But when I say heavy weapons I mean stuff like the TOW-2, 120mm Mortars and such.
Gee, thanks for the clarification. We don't know what kind of mortars they use.
What version of wargear would that be? I have one right here but so far no mention / hint of las machineguns. I was just under the impression that stubbers and autocannons are not that common amongst squads because they rely on heavy ammunition. I really was / am perplexed why no one has bothered to make up a weapon that can in a pinch use lasgun powerpacks.
The 1993 edition, the one that wasn't a regurgitation of the stuff in the 4th edition rules where Imperial Guard weaponry was indicated to be.

Autocannons and stubbers have been dropped from teh rules for some time now, ,but they still appare frequently in the literature.
I think I covered this back there, but it seems that the main disagreement is what is or isn't a heavy weapon.
No, the disagreement is that you keep making fucking shit up about how the Guard and its equipment ARE, and you fail to back up any of said shit with anything slightly resembling a source or fact.
Ignore it all you want. At least the writers of the Taros campaign seem to agree with me. Action depicted shows platoons supported by their heavy weapons squads slugging it out with the Tau. With individual squads working in unison and In a specific instance a platoon is supported by two stormtrooper squads. This is what I mean when I say "smallest tactical unit". And before more of this squads can have their own heavy weapons prancing about. All ToEs in the Taros campaign place heavy weapons in heavy weapons platoons or singular heavy weapons squads. Mortars, Lascannons, Heavy bolters or autocannons are all in their own squads. Some of these squads are broken into individual fireteams. I'll write up some highlights when I have the chance.
Imperial Armour's stats are as debatable as the uplifting primer's at times. Imperial ARmour, for example, thinks Titan-killing weapons run off a fucking combustion engine. I won't even begin to address the numerical errors they've historically made. I think White Rabbit has even commented how the speed stats tend to contradcit previous material as well (ex: Tau Hammerhead tanks)

But to simplify matters, I'll just point out tthat you are extrapolating broad conclusions across the board from a SINGLE FUCKING SOURCE. (You know, like the ICS haters and their constant whining that canon doesn't support it.)
I took a look at the Taros campaign TOEs and they are very similar in appearance, and they're similar between jump infantry, armored and regular regiments . So similar in fact that it would be a miracle if they don't have the same point of origin. Hmm... maybe it's not so much about the organization as it what the troops need come equipped with. For example a regiment needs to have x amount of armored vehicles to qualify as an armored regiment. Well maybe it's not a concrete thing, but I'd find it odd if given chance the "non standard" regiments aren't molded into the form the emperor has decreed.
Armoured regiments can be comprised solely of vehicles (IE like the Narmenian armoured) They might be "armoured fist" (IE APC driven) like the steel legions. Some are "combined arms" like the Jouran Dragoons (they had infantry, armour and artillery complements.) from Storm of Iron.
Did I mention that all of those also tend to vary greatly in number (a few thousand troops, upwarsds of tens of thousands, depending on regiment and source.) Doesn't sound all that bloody consistent to me.

But then again, it wouldn't be the first time IA screwed some detail up. They have the Guard using computerized sentinel robots for perimeter defense and use handheld auspex and targeters, yet the Guard can't install computer gear in their tanks for some bizarre reason.
I do believe that all of the above Cadians, Elysians, Tallarn, Armageddon, Tanith and Mordians all have their own doctrines which they adhere to.
Doctrine is what defines an army. It tells us what it can do. As such it's not a terribly flexible thing. Ok, maybe I was painting with a too big of a brush back there when talking about the guard, so I'll use a smaller one. Taking the Taros example again. They advance over the desert with scouts in front infantry following with tank support and artillery at the back. Classic mass tactics. When trouble is encountered the order to do something about it comes from the army HQ. Order is relayed down the chain and changes are made. But the iniative doesn't come from the regimental HQs or brigade HQs. I think I can dig up more later.
Taros deals with the Tallarn and Elysians, the former which are highly skilled light infantry (desert versions of the Tanith basically) and the Elysiasn are on par with Storm trooper regiments. Neither is harldy what I'd call "standard" doctrine, if such a thing can be applied to the Guard given the aforementioned statements about differences in worlds, languages, customs, etc.

Given what W_R said, ,as I noted before, if there is anything close to a "standard" regiment then it is probably the Cadians, but even there I doubt that they're all very identical.
Oh, where did I mention that individual fighters win battles?? That's right I didn't. I merely pointed out that mass tactics do not place great importance on individual skill.
That's me expressing contempt over the latest batch of complete conjecture on your part based on analysis of a single source. If you're actually serious about analyzing the Guard, then I suggest you do more than read a single fucking book. People who make sweeping generlizations from limited infromation tend not to be well-regarded on this board, in case you've fucking forgotten.
Whoa there nelly!! I've never said 40K tactics suck. It's just the opposite. My whole point was they don't piss about with individual squads. When a jobs need doing they have the fucking sense to commit enough so it gets done. They train their men enough so they can fill their role and leave special shit to special people. When squads are committed as a platoon
they're supported by each other and whatever the platoon can muster in addition. That's mass tactics. But it's sensible mass tactics. Because after that it's the company and so on.
.... seriously. Are you reading anything what anyone says? They DO use individual squads when the situation warrants it. Just like they use whole platoons, companies, regiments, or multiple regiments when the situations call for it. Novels like 'Death World", the Last Chancers novels, the Ghosts and Cain novels, the Armageddon novels all feature the use of individual squads as well as larger formations in combat.

Do I really need to bloody point ou tthe fact (as well) that Chimeras operate on squads and not platoons where transport is concerned?
I agree. This is what separates the good commanders from the bad.
Of course the brass fighting over the next promotion and backroom politics
can cause major headaches. This was implied in Imp armor III
Yeah, big shock there. It's not as if its somehow absent in real life militaries, even in the modern da
Fair enough. Dying for nothing is always a bad idea and maybe the "no surrender" cliche has been touted around too much without substance behind it.
Welcome to the world of Imperial Propoganda. Where a single space marine can kill millions of enemy or alien soldiers with his flatulence alone.

Some zealous regiments (like the Krieg) may opt this way in some situations, but its hardly a "general rule", even among the zealots. And depending on the circumstances it's acutally an advantage (you know they won't run, so they can do a good job of drawing the enemy's attention and pinning them so you can hit them from the flanks or rear.)
First comes to mind is the imperial retreat from Taros where equipment is valued over men. Although this is not wholly out of line with the mass use of material and men.
Depends on the commander as well as the kind of equipment. In "Warriors of Ultramar" a regimentla commander sacrificed his Leviathan/Capitol Imperialis vehicle in order to save the lives of his men and other troops from the Tyranids. Storm of Iron featured several titan princeps who self destructed their vehicles in order to save the lives of infantrymen from Chaos troops. During the Third Armaggedon war, troops from the Jopall Indentured Squadrons sacrificed 3 basilisks to destrroy one-sixth of Ork artillery.
The general refusal to negotiate or with opponents you cannot negotiate with to withdraw.
As if the Tau can be bloody trusted. They constantly seek to manipulate the Imperium to their own benefit (like they did in the novel "Kill Team", only they got their asses handed to them by the Guard and Ordo Xenos.). The Tau only negotiate on their terms, ever.

And in anyn case, this again depends on the commander(S) - both on the Guard side and the Tau. There are assholes on both sides of the camp in that case.
Again, the Taros campaign highlights this. The empire had it's butt kicked. After the battle was already decided they still sent a last ditch force to assasinate the opposing leader.
Which only increased losses when the Tau came for revenge.
The Imperium don't consider the tau a major threat, which is the main bloody reason they ever get away with any of this shit. They've never mounted a proper assault on them, since in that area of space they are primarily busy with a Tyranid invasion - the Tau are always a bloody sideshow. In most cases you have forces that are either outnumbered and outgunned (Vostroyans vs Tau as mentioned in "Cities of Death") or comprised of whatever assets of whatever quality are at hand (Damocles Gulf.)

The Tau have gotten their asses kicked by the Guard (Kill Team), and even have gotten their asses kicked by underfunded Rogue Traders (Rogue TRader/Star of Damocles.)
Gunhead wrote: No. I did not. An example would Principe Hekate who almost got handed the death sentence for acting against orders. Even after he did save a depot, including a titan, from destruction. Did he break the rules? Yes he did. Did it work? Yes it did. So punishing him is quite justified. But I don't think Titan pilots grow on trees. Hell, I know Titans don't grow on trees.
All that's said and done the commander of the base even says that he'd rather see the depot destroyed that see imperial creed broken.
So I'm all following orders, but If this is taken as an example I'd say it's pretty bleak. He was saved only by the fact that he had already "bonded with the titan" and killing him would be in effect killing the titan.
Uh, ,yeah. The Ttian legions are under the Admech. While they ally with the Guard and fight along slide them, they are not under Guard jurisidction anymore than the Space Marines are, which is a bloody red herring. Given the techno-fetishism of the AdMech, its probably nto bloody surprising that that might happen. (Then again, it didnt happen in "Storm of Iron".)
See above.
Refuted above. At best you presented a red herring, since we're talking Guard, not Admech.
I mentioned the taros campaign and I'll make a separate post for quotes.
Which I have already addressed in myriad ways. Try again. Maybe yhou should try something other than the Taros campaign.
So commissars are there to spread love and joy to their underlings?
I think any sane person would be a bit worried if there are people about who can shoot you for a perceived slight.
Now I really don't think five people could considered an all encompassing representation.
Yeah, just like Commisar Yarrick - oh wait...

Commissars, ,despite how you try to paint them, do not rely solely on fear to motivate troops. Their ultimate responsibility is the morale and well being of the troops. They do this by inspiration or fear, depending on the situation. Even the bloody uplifting primer notes this. The "fear" in case you didn't notice, is generally a last resort.

They are not "Nice" in any sense (Ciaphas Cain being rather exceptional in this regard) but they're hardly all bloodthirsty psychopaths either (again Gaunt and Yarrick being some of the most effective examples of "inspirational" Commissars.)
Since I'm not relying on the primer a whole lot I think above is previously covered.
Gee, finding out you rely wholly on one book alone rather than wholly on another is hardly an improvement.
Well I'm sorry about what I said back there. My intention was not to rip at
anyone's hobby. I blame alcohol and sleep deprivation. Much of the info was taken from the Imperial Armor III. As I said before I'll make a separate post for quotes when I get the chance.

And fuck GW for having such a fucking ambiguous canon policy.
:P

-Gunhead
What is fucking pissing me off here is that I am damned tired of people drawing vast conclusions on the basis of scanty data when we KNOW there is far more such out there. I am tired of people who think that "knowing one source" is good enough to allo wthem to debate with people who evidently know the source material better (and I'm not talking about me - there are other people on this forum who know the 40K source material better than I do as of yet.) I am tired of people thinking that all it takes is one source or one example to refute everything else and igoring the larger picture (something that rabid trekkies do in the ICS bashing frequently.)

I spend a fair bit of my free time doing this shit, and I don't take it kindly when someone decides that they don't have to be bothered to do anything but minimal research into the topic in order to draw conclusions. Do you really need it pointed out to you that "singular source analysis" is a piss-poor way of doing it? Again, have you forgotten which forum this is?
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

andrewgpaul wrote: The assumption that recruited hiveworld gangs will keep their equipment after conscription is likely unwarranted. Granted, I have little to base this on, but consider; to end up in the Guard, a ganger has to be conscripted twice. Those represented in the Necromunda setting are highly unlikely to ever be recruited into even the PDF, since they've descended into the underhive, away from the control of even the Major Houses of the hive. Regular members of House Goliath are probably too busy manufacturing whatever it is House Goliath manufactures to spend all their time in gangs.
You're forgetting that not all tithed regiments are drawn directly from the PDF. Some (usually in emergency situations whewn more troops are needed) they're drawn from the populace directly. PDF tithing would be separate, though on some Hives (Necromunda again) hive gangs will be "drafted" into the PDF (probably mainly in the underhive) by legitimizing their activities. (This seems to mainly manifest in gangs affiliating themselves with different Necromundan Houses.) according to an early edition of Chapter approved.
Moreover, Imperial Guard equipment is intentionally restricted, to make resupply easier (almost all patterns of lasgun use the same powerpack, everyone uses the Leman Russ tank, for example). There was a reference back in 2nd ed somewhere mentioning this; some PDF units use autoguns or stubguns instead of lasguns, some make great use of hover vehicles, or whatever. So, gang members and the like are likely to have been re-equipped in a more uniform fashion before they ever make it into the PDF, let alone Guard. The very fact that underhive gangs can end up with lasguns, plasma grenades and anti-grav harnesses, presumably as 'shrinkage' from munitions factories, does suggest that Necroimunda's PDF would be very well equipped, however.
Er, unless you're talking about something esoteric like boltugns (which are rare in the underhive due to their complexity and cost to maintain, making them status symbols) your point is irrelevant. Many of the things used in the Underhive are either manufactured there and are inferior to what the Guard has (stubguns for example) or is pulled from teh same factories that produce gear that the Guard uses (lasguns, autoguns, etc.)

Stubbers are "Cheap and easy" to produce by Underhive gangs, ,at least according to the Necromunda sourecbook,

And besides which, we know Guardsmen do bring "trophy" equipment along even after inducted (Larkin's own scope, for example.)
Those weapons used by Necromunda gangs look weedier than the Imperial Guard versions, too; autocannon and stubbers are smaller calibre (and the Van Saar stubber is clip-fed), lascannon are much smaller.
Not really. The only reason some people cna carry those things individually is because they're obscenely large or strong. (Again like Bragg.) Heavies, (Or goliaths) fall into this category. Otherwise they are at least two-man affairs.

Then again there are varying "Grades" of weapons anyhow (the tank or chimera mounted las weapons are probably not as powerful as the man-portable lascannon, for example. And I doubt wing-mounted lascannon on fighter compare either.) A "smaller" looking weapon may simply reflect shorter range (smaller barrel, less focusing) or fewer shots as well. They function the same (stubbers are astill HMGs, rocket launchers still fire rockets, grenade launcher sstill fire grenades, lascannon are still anti-armour weapons,. etc.)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Last part of the primer. Take note of the medical section, as it had the most useful data with regard to energy weapons wounding mechanisms (and impacts on lasgun calcing)

Page 51
On entering service in the Imperial Guard you were given a thorough physical and mental examination to ensure that you carried no disease or impurity of the mind.
Again, ,physical/mental health is rather important to the Guard (although in some circumstances even the insane, such as in Penal legions, will still be acceptable, or even beneficial.)

Page 56
If you prove yourself in battle you may be transferred into an Armoured Fist[]/i] detail. This means your squad will be transported on a chimera, allowing for swift movement and a heavier punch on deployment. Armoured Fist squads can be invaluable in breaking an enemy swiftly by smashing a hole in his line and allowing slower infantry platoons to consolidate as they move up behind you under the Chimera's covering fire.

An Armoured fist's superior speed allows a field commander increased flexibility as battle unfolds: He can move troops swiftly to where they are needed, to plug gaps in the line or advance to take benefit from an enemy's broken retreat.

Roles and purpose of an armoured fist platoon. Note that they do seem to emphasize "flexibility" and "speed" in these sorts of units, despite the common belief of the IG as being only a "static" force.

Page 57

The helhound has a viscious reputation (as do the crews) and the sight of these powerful machines incinerating all in their path instils fear in the hearts of the enemy and jubiliation in the souls of those who follow in their fiery wake.

Hellhound flamers can "incinerate" all troops in their path.. which implies energy outputs well into the Gigajoule range.

Page 59

The term armour basis detontes the thickness of the armour plate protection of an armoured vehicle; it denotes the comparative immunity to fire of different areas of the vehicle.

Decisions in the design have to account for both protection and speed, the heavier the tank the better protected it is, but this advantage is countered by a loss in speed and slower accecleration. Ther back and underside of most tanks will often be less protected than the front and flanks, which will be facing the enemy and thus their fire. A kill shot (disabling or destroying a vehicle with one shot) will more than likely be successful if aimed at these more vulnerable areas.

It must also be understood that a projectile strikign armour plate loses its penetrative powers as the angle of impact increases (reciting the Litany of Penetration will go someway to offsetting this phenomenon). If a heavy weapon team has a choice of targets, to realise the maximum capabilities of the shot it is advisable not to fire on a target approaching obliquely, but at an angle which will allow a 90 degere impact.

The shallower the angle the greater the chance of inflicting a glancing blow is. Glancing blows are when the missile or projectile strikes the target only ffor it to rebound off, causing less damage. The majority of antitank weapons are most effective when they penetrate the hull and detonate inside the vehicle.

discussion of armour with regards to vehicles. Of note in particular is that it is implied that some vehicles may be optimized for speed by sacrificing armour.

Page 60

The Griffon armoured weapons carrier is built on a chimera chassis and provides close to medium range mobile artillery support with its heavy mortar armament.

One of the many Chimera variants. Others do exist (some use battle cannons)

Page 60

The Basilisk Mobile Artillery Platform is based on the Chimera chassis making it a highly mobile artillery piece. It follows an infantry advance and can deploy and fire in minutes.

Basilisk are apparently designed for mobility. Note that "Deploying in minutes" may neccessitate some sort of bracing - some Basilisks are that recoil intensive (cf Storm of Iron)

Page 61

Trukks are the ork equivalent of the righteous Chimera chassis. It provides the basis for most ork vehicles, from aritllery platforms ot troop carriers.

Ork trukks are their APCs. Battlewagons are, of course, the tanks.

Page 62

Eldar transports are highly manoeuvrable, but weak and their inferior armour is easily penetrated by a well placed missile or las-blast.

Eldar are lightly armoured compared to the Imperium (which allows them their mobility). However, it should be noted they do make exnteisve use of forcefields, which presumably makes up for the thin armour. (even though gameplay doesn't permit that.)

[Page 62

They [jetbikes] are armed with weapons that fire tiny metal shards. Flak armour will provide ample protection.

Supposedly, flak armour will protect against shuriken weapons 'tiny metal shards'. Colour me skeptical.

Page 63

An ork is an unworthy foe, little more than an animal that has, by some twist of nature, a very basic understanding of the rudiments of technolgy. Theories abound to their true nature. Some reports suggest they are a fungus which produces spores in order to reproduce.

It is enough to know that an ork is slow witted and will cause no problems for a properly trained Imperial infantryman. It is far more appropriate to compare the brain capacity of an ork to a plant than it is to any sentient life form. It is capable of little cohesive thought, and is easily confused by loud noises or sudden movement.

an ork is without the capacity to think intelligently, and its every move can be predicted.

All of this should be regarded as little more than propoganda BS, since its contradicted by other sources.

Page 64

They can be a threat if you allow them to get too close. They are relatively strong and tough, and their physiology is made up in such a way as to give them a remarkable tolerance to pain and a capacity to regenerate very quickly if wounded. However, this presents little crisis; they just require more shooting than other targets.

Again, propoganda.

Page 64

They [orks] may seem to be heavily muscled, but the fact is their muscle tissue is not as dense as a human's. In actuality, they are considerably weaker than the average man, despite what their appearance suggests.

Again, more blatant propoganda, if not outright lies.

Page 65

But tyranids are stupid creatures with no concept of self preservation. Tyranids are numerous but weak. What do you do when a parasite bites your flesh and sucks your blood? You swat it dead! That is what the Imperium is mobilising to do to the tyranid invasions.

Half truths. They have no self preservation, but they are not stupid. They are also not all weak. The reason they have no sense of self preservation is because the Hive fleet will eventually destroy and consume its own troops at the end anyhow, so there's no reason to conserve them - everything becomes biomass at the end.

Page 65

It is believed that a tyranid swarm is controlled by one single consciousness, known as the hive mind. And here lies their greatest weakness. Destruction of the hive mind leads to the destruction fo the entire hive.

Yes, but again no mention of how to destroy the Hive mind. As we've seen elsewhere, it's not nearly that easy.

Page 65

How unlike the noble human mind of the Imperial soldier, that fucntions autonomously (within the command structure of the Imperial Guard)!

Again, implies that the Guardsmen are not considered mindelss automatons (even though they try to propagandize them heavily or brainwash them outright. But then again, modern people aren't exactly mindless automata and are also brainwashed/conditioned/propogandized.)

Page 65

There is one rule when fighting the Tyranid: shoot the big ones. It hs been proven by the learned men and women of those who study the xeno-breeds that the tyranids are sent into paroxysms of confusion if the larger, ,controlling minds are obliterated.

Again, semi true. Some of the larger forms do act as "command nexi" for the swarms, and killing them will disrupt the swarm, but not all "big ones" qualify. (Carnifexes aren't, I don't think.)

Page 66

Their [tyranid] strength, such as it is, is in close combat fighting. But even in that case a tempered blade thrust firmly in between their amrour plates will incapacitate the attacker, and convince its brethren to back off.

Indeed, massed fire from such high technology as a lasgun will confound and confuse a tyranid swarm, allowing you to pick them off at will.[

Again, half truths. aiming between the chitin/carapace plates IS the best way to defeat the Tyranids, but you don't want to let them to get close enough for you to do that (and aiming at those points is hard enough at a range.)

Page 67

Genestealers attack in swarms. This means they present a large target. Use frag grenades and volley fire to blow them to ichor.

Call it what you must, ,but the propoganda is always upbeat, if not always truthful.

Page 67

A brace of mortar shells will be enough to split these disgusting creatures [biovores] open.

2 mortar shells are powerful enough to destroy a biovore.

Page 68

They [Eldar] are smooth in their movements, but their bodies are brittle and easily broken.

This is a considerable disadvatnage for them in combat. Their frailty will allow you to break them with a swipe of your lasgun. Indeed, their swift movements will just get them into your hands sooner so you can breka them in two, with the Litany of Revenge on your lips! And all this besides their cowardly nature which will see them exit the field at the first sign of concentrated resistance! Surely a foe easily bested!

And you folks wonder why I tend to be dismissive of a large portion of the uplifting primer as an accurate source.

Page 68

These warriors [aspect warriors] have developed their techniques to allow them to excel at one specific battlefield role. This means that they have a dozen other weaknesses for you to exploit! Unlike the divine adaptability of a man, these creatures are boxed into one function, ripe to be taken apart.

For example, Striking Scorpions can be cut down with sustained volley fire, long before they reach our lines, and the lightly armoured Banshees can be rent asunder with a few well placed frag grenades.

Again, we see more of the half-trruth propoganda in the ULP.

Page 69

They [eldar] have a wide variety of speeders and heavy support, capable of travelling at moderate speeds at low levels. When fighting the eldar, keep a watchful eye on the horizon, as they will most certainly use their fliers to try to do harm. They are but lightly armoured and concentrated lasgun fire, or better still a missile, will send them crashing from the skies.

This implies that Guard weapons (lasguns and missiles at least) have line of sight to the horizon (which makes some sense.)

Page 70

Suffice to say that all aliens are unclean, untrustworthy, faithless heretics, weak of mind and body, lacking in spirit (for the Immortal Emperor does not shine for them! His guiding light is only for man!) and deserving of nothing more than slavery or death.

... which is why they have negotiations with the Tau, and hae allied with the Eldar numerous times.

Page 70

The alien is weak, and the white-hot heat of a las-round
[

"white hot" las-weapons? I really don't know what to say about this, e xcept that it might imply the temp that lasguns inflict on targets.at the point of impact.

Page 70

A Black Peril stalks our realms. Its nature is virtually unknown, but it manifests itself in many ways; ways which cause great bloodshed and the tormented wailing of those left in its deadly wake. This dark, malign influence saturates the land wherever it falls and many weak minded fools respond, actually casting aside the very right and pure Imperial Creed in favour of the damend and sordid worship of hte Dark Ones.

Unlike the past, where knowledge of Chaos was ruthlessly suppressed, it is known about even at the level fo the Guard. Though the proper spin is put on it (though given what shit that the Chaos Gods inflict on their minions, its actually not hta far off from the truth.)

Page 71

Are any of your comrades showing an ability to guess the future? Do they seem to be able to predict what you are going to say, even before you say it?[/qu ote]

Telepathy and precognition seem to be relatively common minor talents for psykers.

Page 71

It is clear that creatures from the dark places can entier their [unsancitfied psykers] minds and turn them into mindless killers.

The fact that active psykers can act as conduits for warp entities is a "public" fact, at least among the Guard.

Page 71

Areas of geography can become saturated with Dark Corruption, and it is important to maintain concentration when you enter them.[//quote]

As we know, Chaos can infest inanimate matter as well as organic. And the Guard is made aware of this also.

Interestingly, it is also implied by "concentration" that there are mentla techniques that can help fend off (or at least are believed to fend off) Chaos taint or corruption. Possbily some latent psychic power.

Page 71

A strong smell is usually prevalent, like cooked blood and electricity...

Nosebleeds and nausea are common symptoms are being in such locations.

effects or phenomena prevalent in or around warp activity.

Page 71

Do not sully your view with such monstrous visions! on seeing them [gylphs of chaos] you will experience headaches and nausea.

Again, effects of proximity to chaos tainted objects.

Page 72-74

- without specifically quoting - this part of the primer provides a fairly basic/limited understanding of hte workings of the human body. What is impressive is that it covers alot of details that most people probably wouldn't know (number of bones in the body, the names of the various parts of the spine, the percent body weight of muscle tissue, etc.) This does hint to a fairly sophsiticated degree of education/understanding amongst Guardsmen, despite the "religious/medievel/gothic" bent.

Pahe 74-77

- covers various kinds of injury the body can suffer. Again, its not extensive, but is very basic knowledge (first aid level I suspect) and points to a level of (practical) education/knowledge that many might not expect the Guard to have. (Ex: it covers lacerations, incisions, ,and puntures, as well as fractures, hemmorhaging, etc.)

Page 74

Puncture wounds are caused by nails, ,bolter-shells, or wire.

Bolter shells (at least impacting) qualify as punctures. But not, presumably, when they explode.

Page 76

The rescue of a victim from a live wire or similar is always dangerous. Do not attempt to touch the casualty until you are sure the power source is disabled. If you are uncertain, move him with a dry stick, rope, a synthetic plastic object, or any non-conductor.

suggests a Guardsman has at least a rudimentary understanding of some science, like electricity.

Page 76

The exit wound [of a projectile hit] is alays larger and more serious than the entry wound.

Self explanatory. Presumably the similar is true for a las-weapon, although in reverse (though it might be possible to do it as stated above.)

Page 76

When a man has been shot by an energy weapon the wound will cauterise so little bleeding will occur, damage is caused internally by the energy bolt heating up and boiling the insides. The energy dissipates, causing massive trauma to the internals and severe internal bleeding.

The cauterisation of the entry wound causes problems in treating injuries, as the wound needs to be reopened to get to the affected area. Proper medical attention is required for this.

effects of an energy weapon, such as a lasgun. Note the reference to "cauterization" as well as "boling" the internal organs. This hints to us the minimal tissue temperatures that las-weapons (And other weapons) inflict on organic targets. It also hints to the "shock/blast" effects of a las-weapon as well, in causing the internal bleeding (despite cuaterization)

This basically meshes with all of my methods for calcing lasguns as done already, but its nice to have something approaching official confirmation.

Page 77

Burn degrees
First degree: skin is reddened
Second degree: skin is blistered
Third Degree: Skin is destroyed and flesh is charred
Fourth degee: skin is immoalted and flesh burnt away.

Burn degrees. Las-weapons would fall into the third or fourth degree. Plasma, flamer, and melta weapons also would (more towards fourth.)

Page 78

A common battlefield predicament is the loss of a limb(s). The most common cause for this sort of injury is heav weapon blasts, flying debris or booby traps. Serious maiming such as this must be treated quickly as bleeding and shock can kill the victim in minutes.

causes of limb loss.

Page ?

But a most important part of leadership is speaking to the fighters.

.. a great leader must inspire his men to fight with sturring words!

Strong elocution can enter a man's heart and affect him deeply.

Commissar yarrick.

Again, not all commissars rule solely by fear - some do indeed inspire.

Page ?

Commisar Yarrick

"thousand worlds" will be fought on.

Page ?

Solar Macharius.[/quiote]

Suggested tactics to the Guard by Macharius.

Page ?
[various prayers, litanies, etc.]

While I have no doubt these things are meant as jokes out of universe, in universe they may very well have some element of truth to them. This is, after all, 40K, a nd the Emperor's "blessing/power" is a tangible thing for them. Like the Chaos Gods, the Ork WAAAAGH power (or any psychic power the orks have in general), or the Tyranid hive mind, its quite likely the GEoM gains power from the belief of humanity in general, and in turn can bestow a measure of "aid" upon humans as well.
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Well gee, I'd have been too stupid to figure out that heavy weapons like mortars (indirect fire weapons) should be set up far back from the enemy! Where the fuck did you get the idea that because a squad can have its own heavy weapons crew the said heavy weapons crew MUST stick with the squad at all times? Are you going to tell me the snipers do as well?

Seriously, where the fuck do you keep pulling these assumptions from?
40K Rulebook: Members of a squad must maintain coherency (~2" I believe) :P .

Ok, joking aside, Gunhead's probably just assuming that, as a squad, they tend to fight together and thus not too far apart. It's not I think an unreasonable assumption, but I can't see them not adapting it when they have mortars and the like in the squad.
Even if the squad is big enough so the manpower drain is a non issue, the lighter infantry is still faster than the heavy weapons crew. If you're constantly forced to wait around for them to appear, what good are they.
Mortars and missile launchers to a lesser extent are reliant on radios ( or what ever passes for a radio in 40K).
I'm growing fucking tired of your "pulled out of your ass" generlizations, here. Again, wher ethe fuck was this ever stated to be the case?
1. Well, I'd also be surprised if the two soldiers lugging around a lascannon can keep up with their mates who just have their lasgun etc to carry.
2. As for mortars and missile launchers being reliant on radios, well that depends on entirely on distance to the target, line of sight and all that.
... which is why they have negotiations with the Tau, and hae allied with the Eldar numerous times.
They've also hired Kroot mercenaries :) . Wasn't it the Chapter Approved article on a Kroot army or something that mentioned this?
Bolter shells (at least impacting) qualify as punctures. But not, presumably, when they explode.
Or very big puncture wounds :P ?
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
andrewgpaul wrote: Moreover, Imperial Guard equipment is intentionally restricted, to make resupply easier (almost all patterns of lasgun use the same powerpack, everyone uses the Leman Russ tank, for example). There was a reference back in 2nd ed somewhere mentioning this; some PDF units use autoguns or stubguns instead of lasguns, some make great use of hover vehicles, or whatever. So, gang members and the like are likely to have been re-equipped in a more uniform fashion before they ever make it into the PDF, let alone Guard. The very fact that underhive gangs can end up with lasguns, plasma grenades and anti-grav harnesses, presumably as 'shrinkage' from munitions factories, does suggest that Necroimunda's PDF would be very well equipped, however.
Er, unless you're talking about something esoteric like boltugns (which are rare in the underhive due to their complexity and cost to maintain, making them status symbols) your point is irrelevant. Many of the things used in the Underhive are either manufactured there and are inferior to what the Guard has (stubguns for example) or is pulled from teh same factories that produce gear that the Guard uses (lasguns, autoguns, etc.)

Stubbers are "Cheap and easy" to produce by Underhive gangs, ,at least according to the Necromunda sourecbook,

And besides which, we know Guardsmen do bring "trophy" equipment along even after inducted (Larkin's own scope, for example.)
I was thinking about how Underhive gangs can (and will ) use weapons such as Plasma cannon, various specialist grenades, webbers, that sort of thing. It's not simply stuff manufactured for, eg Space Marines, either; the House Escher plasma cannon, for example, appears to be a marvel of miniaturisation compared to the regular military versions (although that presumably comes with a commensurably reduced power output).
Those weapons used by Necromunda gangs look weedier than the Imperial Guard versions, too; autocannon and stubbers are smaller calibre (and the Van Saar stubber is clip-fed), lascannon are much smaller.
Not really. The only reason some people can carry those things individually is because they're obscenely large or strong. (Again like Bragg.) Heavies, (Or goliaths) fall into this category. Otherwise they are at least two-man affairs.

Then again there are varying "Grades" of weapons anyhow (the tank or chimera mounted las weapons are probably not as powerful as the man-portable lascannon, for example. And I doubt wing-mounted lascannon on fighter compare either.) A "smaller" looking weapon may simply reflect shorter range (smaller barrel, less focusing) or fewer shots as well. They function the same (stubbers are astill HMGs, rocket launchers still fire rockets, grenade launcher sstill fire grenades, lascannon are still anti-armour weapons,. etc.)
True enough, but the Goliath, Delaque and Orlock stubers, for example, look substantially bigger than the Escher and van Saar examples. That suggests that you can tote one of these smaller guns around while not needing to be quite as beefy as Bragg (who was waving an assault cannon around at one point, was he not?)
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Teleros wrote:40K Rulebook: Members of a squad must maintain coherency (~2" I believe) :P .

Ok, joking aside, Gunhead's probably just assuming that, as a squad, they tend to fight together and thus not too far apart. It's not I think an unreasonable assumption, but I can't see them not adapting it when they have mortars and the like in the squad.
Microbeads have multi km ranges (5-10 km, depending on the source. Rebel Winter for the former and His Last command for the latter.) If you want to go by fluff only, the only known commlink ranges are 80-100 km for the earlier stuff (1st Ed Rogue Trader and 93 Wargear to be precise.)

Nevermind the fact that its already been established that they do break squads down into smaller units (IE fire teams)
1. Well, I'd also be surprised if the two soldiers lugging around a lascannon can keep up with their mates who just have their lasgun etc to carry.
Given comm and heavy weapons ranges, I don't see the problem. Having the weapons crews moving slower only allows them to help keep the range open
2. As for mortars and missile launchers being reliant on radios, well that depends on entirely on distance to the target, line of sight and all that.
Again, I don't see a problem.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

andrewgpaul wrote: I was thinking about how Underhive gangs can (and will ) use weapons such as Plasma cannon, various specialist grenades, webbers, that sort of thing. It's not simply stuff manufactured for, eg Space Marines, either; the House Escher plasma cannon, for example, appears to be a marvel of miniaturisation compared to the regular military versions (although that presumably comes with a commensurably reduced power output).
Most plasma weapons in the Necromundan games not only have a refire delay (to charge up before firing) but they also have a delay between shots with a recharge (which seems variable.) They also have fewer shots (1-4) before reloading (wheras the Guard plasma can fire up to 10 or more)
Power output is only part of it. Reliability is another. Range probably plays a factor (collimation of the plasma beam.)

Escher weapons, for example may not be miniaturized so much as they accept certain tradeoffs to make it wieldable. Unless they've snagged and are lugging about Van Saar tech.
True enough, but the Goliath, Delaque and Orlock stubers, for example, look substantially bigger than the Escher and van Saar examples. That suggests that you can tote one of these smaller guns around while not needing to be quite as beefy as Bragg (who was waving an assault cannon around at one point, was he not?)
Bragg has used assualt cannons, autocannons, rocket launchers and heavy bolters unassisted. Though his accuracy sucked balls.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

The refire delay might not be important; at the time the game was written, all plasma weapons had a recharge time, so it's not necessarily a feature of these specific designs. IIRC, the 2nd ed. Chaos Codex introduced the 'overheating' rule for Heresy-era plasma weapons, which 3rd ed. 40K adopted for all plasma weapons, in the interests of simplifying the game.

Can you explain the comments on reloading? Are you referring to the 'ammo roll' rules in Necromunda? It's certainly the case that underhive weapons are less reliable than military equipment (Adeptus Arbites/Enforcers weapons are substantially more reliable than equivalent gang weapons).

House Escher don't appear to be using van Saar weaponry, unless they've incorporpated some sub-systems into their own wapon designs. As far as I can see, there's 3 main 'groups' of weapons used on Necromunda. Houses Orlock, Goliath, Delaque and Cawdor use one style, Escher use another* and van Saar use a third, which appears to be unique in 40K. Any performance differences are negligible, though.

*the new style Orlocks and Goliaths also use this style of weaponry, which makes it a bit more widespread.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

The various "gang" houses in Necromunda are Industrial Factions, House Orlock, Escher etc all produce their own brand of licenced STC material, which usually trickles down to their Gang militias, hence the availability of more estoric wargear to what appear to be the 40k equivalent of street gangs at first glance. Necromunda has a significant industrial output.

The various components are still interchangable to a certain degree, and one Necromunda novel makes reference to a "two tone", a las weapon using Escher and IIRC Orlock components to create a unique pattern of custom weapon.

Rules comparisons are flawed, not only are there multiple eras, there are several game systems to compare. Any comparisons based on that need a large grain of salt, and probably create false impressions.

Concerning lugging hugetastic wargear around by hand, the Munitorum manual makes reference to Imperial guardsmen using autocannons equipped with shoulder straps and suspensors, and heavy bolters and autocannons at least can be equipped with recoil compensation devices to allow their use in low gravity, which could possibly be utilised in "normal " g situations as well.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

btw partly related but could avarge human carry use heavy bolter more or less like the space marines do if given a power armor (or Emperor forbid a terminator armor).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Lord Revan wrote:btw partly related but could avarge human carry use heavy bolter more or less like the space marines do if given a power armor (or Emperor forbid a terminator armor).
Yes. Sisters of Battle are normal humans in power armor and they wield their heavy stuff just like Space Marines do.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Lord Revan wrote:btw partly related but could avarge human carry use heavy bolter more or less like the space marines do if given a power armor (or Emperor forbid a terminator armor).
"humans" can use them without power armour. Shadow Point, several short stories etc.

Of course, with the repeated evidence of physical enhancement, genetic, augmetic, chemical and just general breeding producing some really hefty examples of humanity in 40k, we aren't talking your average person here.

Plus heavy bolters can be equipped with suspensors and recoil compensators as well as being of a completely different scale to Space Marine weaponry.

Remember, Space marine guns are all utterly hugetastic, even with heroic exaggeration on models, equivalent plasma weapons for example can result in space marine plasma pistols being almost the same freaking size as IG plasma rifles.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Amberly had one mounted on the arm of her suit in Duty Calls. Given that she is as close to "average" as you'll ever get, there is your answer.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

fgalkin wrote:
Amberly had one mounted on the arm of her suit in Duty Calls. Given that she is as close to "average" as you'll ever get, there is your answer.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
As white rabbit said, that really doesn't answer it. A normal human could carry a heavy bolter like a Space Marine does, yes. However, a normal human could not carry a Space Marine's heavy bolter like he does. Astartes Weaponry tends to be quite a bit larger than the same weapon meant for IG use.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
fgalkin wrote:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
As white rabbit said, that really doesn't answer it. A normal human could carry a heavy bolter like a Space Marine does, yes. However, a normal human could not carry a Space Marine's heavy bolter like he does. Astartes Weaponry tends to be quite a bit larger than the same weapon meant for IG use.
Yeah, but Revan never said anything about a Space Marine heavy bolter, he said "use heavy bolter more or less like the space marines do if given a power armor." The answer is, yes they could. Can they carry an Astartes heavy bolter- no, they can't, but that's not what the question is about.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

[quote=Connor MacLeod]
The Tau have gotten their asses kicked by the Guard (Kill Team), and even have gotten their asses kicked by underfunded Rogue Traders (Rogue TRader/Star of Damocles.)
[/quote]

But... How is that possible? They've got pulse rifles that make lasguns look like toys on the open field, carbines that are the same in close quarters, better armour, more reliable transport... How could they lose even a short-ranged firefight?

Ok, if the Guard get the superheavies and massed artillery into play, I suppose that would do the trick. But rogue traders? :?

What happened, anyways?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Dammit... bad quotes...
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

andrewgpaul wrote:The refire delay might not be important; at the time the game was written, all plasma weapons had a recharge time, so it's not necessarily a feature of these specific designs. IIRC, the 2nd ed. Chaos Codex introduced the 'overheating' rule for Heresy-era plasma weapons, which 3rd ed. 40K adopted for all plasma weapons, in the interests of simplifying the game.
Why the fuck would we toss out the "refire delay?" the fact overheating is added later (when plasma weapons become faster firing) actually proves quite consistent. THe "older" plasma weapons tended to be both variable output (overchaged or lower charge settings) but slower firing than other weapons. One can conclude that the "delay" improved the weapon's reliability at higher settings.

As time passed, teh Guard decided to experiment with the design: They tried trading some reliability for a much higher ROF (at the risk of overheating the gun.) tHe modern "Gets Hot" ones seem to operate fine over short term, but prolonged use runs the risk of overheating/gun failure.
Can you explain the comments on reloading? Are you referring to the 'ammo roll' rules in Necromunda? It's certainly the case that underhive weapons are less reliable than military equipment (Adeptus Arbites/Enforcers weapons are substantially more reliable than equivalent gang weapons).
The number of shots the gun can fire before reloading. Plasma weapons tend to be complicated things to reload compared to other weapons. In earlier sources plasma weapons fired fewer shots before needing reloads (For example, in Inquisitor plasma weapons only get one or two shots.)
In the Andy Chambers Necromunda novel, Mad Donna's plasma pistol gets only a couple of shots before needing a recharge. Fast forward to 3rd edition, plasma guns now have 10 shots before reloading. And now there are apparently backpack-fed plasma guns (as well as backpack-fed meltaguns.)
House Escher don't appear to be using van Saar weaponry, unless they've incorporpated some sub-systems into their own wapon designs. As far as I can see, there's 3 main 'groups' of weapons used on Necromunda. Houses Orlock, Goliath, Delaque and Cawdor use one style, Escher use another* and van Saar use a third, which appears to be unique in 40K. Any performance differences are negligible, though.
As WR said, the novels expand on this in that every Industrial house provides its ganger militias with their own equipment. There is a certain measure of industrial espionage amongst the various gangs for equipment as well. Certain things for certain weapons (like ammo for autopistols) may be "gang specific", but the weapons can be adapted or customized (the "two tone" white Rabbit mentions - which is a combination of Escher and Delaque autogun parts and fires Escher ammo. Other weapons (las-weapons and stubbers) will be much more interchangable.

Generally, Cawdor, Goliath, and Orlock weapons are less sophisticated than Delaque and IIRC Escher, and Van Saar are the most sophisticated.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

white_rabbit wrote:The various "gang" houses in Necromunda are Industrial Factions, House Orlock, Escher etc all produce their own brand of licenced STC material, which usually trickles down to their Gang militias, hence the availability of more estoric wargear to what appear to be the 40k equivalent of street gangs at first glance. Necromunda has a significant industrial output.
Indeed. Each hive being equal int erms of population and industry to a planet - so long as the resourcees and materials hold out.
The various components are still interchangable to a certain degree, and one Necromunda novel makes reference to a "two tone", a las weapon using Escher and IIRC Orlock components to create a unique pattern of custom weapon.
The novel Junktion :P And it wasn't a laspistol, it was an autogun made from a Delaque frame (compact and easy to wield) with Escher components (barrel, firing chamber, etc.) and fired Escher ammo.
Concerning lugging hugetastic wargear around by hand, the Munitorum manual makes reference to Imperial guardsmen using autocannons equipped with shoulder straps and suspensors, and heavy bolters and autocannons at least can be equipped with recoil compensation devices to allow their use in low gravity, which could possibly be utilised in "normal " g situations as well.
I really wish they'd release that fucking book sooner. We aren't seeing it til Nov 13th. In general though I'd say its more common to see really hulking guys using such weapons individually. :P People like Bragg or Borusa aren't THAt unusual (hell the Volpone Storm troopers are all nearly on par with that :P)

There's also quite probably the fact that not all "heavy bolters, autocannon, or stubbers" are equal. Stubbers for example can vary from .50 cal to 25mm (the latter being in "Annihilation squad.")
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Ryan Thunder wrote: But... How is that possible? They've got pulse rifles that make lasguns look like toys on the open field, carbines that are the same in close quarters, better armour, more reliable transport... How could they lose even a short-ranged firefight?
They don't have better armour insofar as I am aware of. Better weapons yes, but their armour sucks. Fire warriors, for example, can be mowed dowm by autogun fire (Kill Team) and even the Batltesuits can be penetrated by an armorp iercing sniper rifle bullet (again Kill team.) Whereas Guard flak can take high-calibre bullets (including from bolt action rifles, which basically amounts to .308 winchester range)

Part of the reason the Tau can be defeated (despite the "mobility wanking" some pro-Tau people like to lord over the Imperium) is that they use Stalinist tactics of "trading land for time" - The Tau emphasize mobility to such an extent that they will abandon a city en masse in the path of an advancing enemy (which is nicec if you have time and preparation, but sucks if you get ambushed.) It also creates logistics problems. If you constantly abandon cities and such, where do your supplies (food, ammo, fuel, etc.) come from?

The Tau also put heavy emphasis on baiting an dtrapping enemies - attempting to lure them into positions and terrain of the Tau's choosing. Again given teh right cirucmstances it can work, but again it relies on Tau forknowledge and preparation and relies on the enemy remaining unaware of their presence (kinda hard when you have ships in orbit.)

Lastly, the Tau method of combat is largeyl inspired by "hunting" - they're "entirely" mobiligy oriented (Which is not a bad thing, its an advantage, but its also over-specialization, which as I noted, leads to their stalinesque tactics.) They're obsessively detail-oriented in planning (which tends to suggest they like complicated attacks, which again, under the right circumstances, works quite well. But it's rather idealistic.) and they're cautious as hell in executing their attacks (opportunistic as hell too.) Alot of this tends to offset their adaptability, mobility, and superior firepower/tech advantage.

As noted many times before, a big reason the Tau ever score victories against the Imperium is that the Imperium has yet to commit significant resources to actually stomping them out. Compare the Damocles Gulf crusade with, say, your average fight against the Orks (like Armageddon.)

Ok, if the Guard get the superheavies and massed artillery into play, I suppose that would do the trick. But rogue traders? :?

What happened, anyways?
Its part of the tau wank inherent in the Andy Hoare novels involving the Damocles Gulf crusade. I prefer not to talk too much about it, because the horros are great in those books.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
andrewgpaul wrote:The refire delay might not be important; at the time the game was written, all plasma weapons had a recharge time, so it's not necessarily a feature of these specific designs. IIRC, the 2nd ed. Chaos Codex introduced the 'overheating' rule for Heresy-era plasma weapons, which 3rd ed. 40K adopted for all plasma weapons, in the interests of simplifying the game.
Why the fuck would we toss out the "refire delay?" the fact overheating is added later (when plasma weapons become faster firing) actually proves quite consistent. THe "older" plasma weapons tended to be both variable output (overchaged or lower charge settings) but slower firing than other weapons. One can conclude that the "delay" improved the weapon's reliability at higher settings.

As time passed, teh Guard decided to experiment with the design: They tried trading some reliability for a much higher ROF (at the risk of overheating the gun.) tHe modern "Gets Hot" ones seem to operate fine over short term, but prolonged use runs the risk of overheating/gun failure.

The number of shots the gun can fire before reloading. Plasma weapons tend to be complicated things to reload compared to other weapons. In earlier sources plasma weapons fired fewer shots before needing reloads (For example, in Inquisitor plasma weapons only get one or two shots.)
In the Andy Chambers Necromunda novel, Mad Donna's plasma pistol gets only a couple of shots before needing a recharge. Fast forward to 3rd edition, plasma guns now have 10 shots before reloading. And now there are apparently backpack-fed plasma guns (as well as backpack-fed meltaguns.)
That's not quite correct. In the Inquisitor rules and fluff plasma guns have a small number of shots (variable, depending on the power of the shots) and then a refire delay because they needed to recharge the capacitors. In addition, they carried around 8 to 10 shots. So plasma guns can fire a short burst or a high powered blast, then need to recharge, and then can fire again. So the refire delay is still part of the canon as is the chance of overheating and the limited fuel supply and difficulty reloading.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Imperial Overlord wrote: That's not quite correct. In the Inquisitor rules and fluff plasma guns have a small number of shots (variable, depending on the power of the shots) and then a refire delay because they needed to recharge the capacitors.
I'm looking at the Inquisitor core rules now they have "one" shot on standard setting, , and 2 shots on sustained. Delay isn't mentioned, but that's generally partt of the "early edition" stuff anyhow (IE wargear, etc.)
In addition, they carried around 8 to 10 shots.
Not until the 3rd edition rules, however.
So plasma guns can fire a short burst or a high powered blast, then need to recharge, and then can fire again. So the refire delay is still part of the canon as is the chance of overheating and the limited fuel supply and difficulty reloading.
The overloading chance didn't quite pop in until Inquisitor and/or 3rd edition rules, though. Even Necromunda (and the Wargear stuff) didn't have the "explode" bit.. only the slow refire rate (depending on setting.)

the literature (novels) aren't precise. Generally they tend to be much more rleiable than the game data implies.

I will admit the "variable output" has been long apart of the canon, though
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Just throwing it out that I consider saying that humans "not" in powered armour are capable of using Hbolters is a pretty clear "yes" to power armoured types without Astartes enhancement using them.

[/quote]What happened, anyways?

Its not so much Rogue Traders on their own as Connor exaggerates a touch.

Basically it turns out that several of the Damocles Gulf crusade capital ships are actually rogue trader vessels, a RT was a member of the Crusade High Command, the Crusade was nigh on crippled by internal political bullfuckery, oh, and I don't consider this a spoiler because the books are so awful, the RTs daughter actually tries to murder an Inquisitor while freeing Tau captives with the aid of a human secret agent working for the enlightened Tau.

The RT makes jokes at the expense of space marines, saves their arses, notices things that everyone else misses, politically out-flanks people, wants to treat the Xeno's honourably etc.

In otherwords, I bet you 5 quid he's the arsehole who decided that simply blasting the Tau from orbit was "dishonorable"

Both novels are crammed full of the worst jerking off about Tau imaginable, right up to Tau battlesuits with fusion guns being viable space combat boarding parties, and being able to "tear apart" damaged space marine frigates.