Best SciFi Movie of 2000s - Nominations

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Re: Best SciFi Movie of 2000s - Nominations

Post by Peptuck »

My inner fanboy says Serenity. But he needs to shut up.

Instead, I'll throw my vote behind Iron Man, along with everyone else.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Which War of the Worlds, Red? I think there were at least two different adaptations in the last decade, but I only saw one of them.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

There's the Speilberg / Cruise version, and some other B-grade one that came out around the same time. I don't mean low quality, I wouldn't know because I haven't seen it. But it was low budget if I recall correctly, and had minimal distribution so I doubt anyone has seen it.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh man, I totally forgot Sky Captain! Thanks to Wong for mentioning it. I loved Sky Captain! Calling Sky Captain! Doctor Totenkopf! Launch the amphibious squadron! :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Formless wrote:Which War of the Worlds, Red? I think there were at least two different adaptations in the last decade, but I only saw one of them.
There were three, if I recall correctly. One was the Spielberg/Cruise adaptation that was actually good. The other two were direct-to-video pieces of shit, so you can probably figure out which one I mean.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Definitely The Incredibles
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I was about to mention Gattaca but appearantly that one's older than I tought.

Give me time to think of another one.
Darth Wong wrote:A list of sci-fi films which came out this decade and which I actually watched (yes, it includes childrens' films, but people are seriously including films like "The Dark Knight", so it might as well):
At first glance it forgot to include The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

wautd wrote:I was about to mention Gattaca but appearantly that one's older than I tought.

Give me time to think of another one.
Darth Wong wrote:A list of sci-fi films which came out this decade and which I actually watched (yes, it includes childrens' films, but people are seriously including films like "The Dark Knight", so it might as well):
At first glance it forgot to include The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sorry, I tought this was an official list instead of your personal list of the things you watched
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Children of Men really impressed me as a believable dystopia in the nearby future. But I'll nominate V for Vendetta because nobody mentioned it yet.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, I’ll second that. It’s of my favourite movies that for some reason no one will watch with me.
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Could I get an explanation on The Dark Knight being science fiction? Batman Begins felt like it was more in that vein, but The Dark Knight always felt more crime drama-ish than sci-fi. It's probably a valid pick, but I'm just wondering.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

GrayAnderson wrote:Could I get an explanation on The Dark Knight being science fiction? Batman Begins felt like it was more in that vein, but The Dark Knight always felt more crime drama-ish than sci-fi. It's probably a valid pick, but I'm just wondering.
Probably being nominated based on some of Batman's tech.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

GrayAnderson wrote:Could I get an explanation on The Dark Knight being science fiction? Batman Begins felt like it was more in that vein, but The Dark Knight always felt more crime drama-ish than sci-fi. It's probably a valid pick, but I'm just wondering.
Turning every cell-phone in Gotham into a computer co-ordinated sonar system?

Anyway, For sake of completeness can someone list some good anime feature films or are we counting those?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

One or two pieces of technology that would probably be within the grasp of our present day tech to figure out doesn't qualify it as Sci-Fi. TDK should not be on this list. If you want Sci-Fi comic book adaptations you have Iron Man, Watchmen and Hulk.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

For what it's worth, comic books and comic book adaptations are eligible for both the Hugo and Nebula awards (The Dark Knight was nominted for Best Script for both of them, though it won neither). Generally, since the boundaries between sci-fi, fantasy, and comics are so blurred, they're all counted together for "Best of..." lists and awards and the like, precisely to avoid arguments like "TDK isn't sci-fi because...". Of course, there are more specific lists, but they typically define their criteria ahead of time.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

That's what I was thinking about as well when including comic book movies RedImp, though a more restrictive definition would lead to a tighter, more manageable list. For the moment I'll leave Batman on the list, and ask if people want a more definite list of prerequisites for a movie to be considered SciFi, or to leave it up to the person's discretion? And of course we can always split it between comic/non-comic movies as suggested in the beginning.

Current List of Nominees
Children of Men
Moon
District 9
Wall-E
Iron Man
Revenge of the Sith
Sunshine
Serenity*
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Watchmen*
Donnie Darko
Titan A.E.*
Equilibrium*
Star Trek*
Minority Report*
The Dark Knight
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
V for Vendetta*

*Not Seconded
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Knobbyboy88
Padawan Learner

Post by Knobbyboy88 »

I second Watchmen.
"Because its in the script!"
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

Darth Paxis wrote:I also nominate I, Robot.
I still nominate I, Robot
KAC-WG

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

For me personally I think Avatar narrowly beats out Sky Captain, but if we're naming movies as bland as I, Robot then certainly A.I.: Artificial Intelligence deserves mention for being really pretty.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

I have to second Titan A.E. Any movie with a reverse Death Star has got to at least be in the running. I don't know if I would rank it higher than the 800 pound gorilla of Sci-Fi awesomeness that is ROTS, but I would definitely rank Titan A.E. above Serenity and Chronicles of Riddick. Obviously I like even bad space opera better than most other Sci-Fi movies. :wink: I must admit to loving the retro pulp Sci-Fi that is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow too.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Cypher (Canadian cyberpunk) and my other choices have been mentioned already (but I prefer Iron Man to the thirty minutes too long The Dark Knight).
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Deja Vu is my nomination. Though really the time travel in it makes no sense.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Crazedwraith wrote:Deja Vu is my nomination. Though really the time travel in it makes no sense.
Gah! That movie was going great right up until the last 15-20 minutes or so, then it got all 'Hollywood'.
Also, I don't know how in one sentence you can nominate a movie and in the next sentence say that what made it a sci-fi movie, makes no sense. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Havok wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Deja Vu is my nomination. Though really the time travel in it makes no sense.
Gah! That movie was going great right up until the last 15-20 minutes or so, then it got all 'Hollywood'.
Also, I don't know how in one sentence you can nominate a movie and in the next sentence say that what made it a sci-fi movie, makes no sense. :D
Hollywood in what sense? The Hero died at the end. That seemed pretty Unhollywood to me.

And I really like Deja Vu as a movie; its well acted; exciting; good action and not a bad premise and its over very well presented. Its just the time travel makes no sense. If Washington was around to set up all those clues the first time; then the girl couldn't have died the first time.

Edit to clarify: It makes no sense but it making no sense doesn't really harm my enjoyment of the film. Hence the nomination. I don't pretend to like films solely for good science.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I'll go ahead and second Serenity. My favorites on the list so far are Children of Men and Moon.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com