Macross F (Frontier) information and preview video.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yeah, I really didn't like Zero all that much, but this recap managed to catch the emotions whilst leaving out all the nonsense, as well as advancing the main love triangle of Frontier quite nicely, and give Alto plenty of material to work himself up into a big tsundere tizz over. (This is still pretty much the first time I've seen a love triangle plot where the "right" answer isn't blindingly obvious, Sheryl and Ranka are both great)
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Personally, I can't stand Sheryl but neither can I adequately explain why. For me it would be no contest because she just fucking grates on me.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Vendetta wrote:(This is still pretty much the first time I've seen a love triangle plot where the "right" answer isn't blindingly obvious, Sheryl and Ranka are both great)
Eh, Minmei and Misa were pretty even in DYRL, I thought.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

I think the director really want this to happen. Poor Alto is the most tsundere male lead yet.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Personally, I can't stand Sheryl but neither can I adequately explain why.
I like how she's really the active part of any potential relationship. She keeps pushing poor Alto around. :P
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I warmed to her pretty quickly. Like most people who did, I found her attitude in the opening episode intolerable, but thankfully her character has proven to be at least two dimensional, with hopefully more to come. I wasn't even sure if I'd like Alto; his dismissive attitude and 'bah humbug no sky' thing grated me, but following his character development has been rewarding.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:
Vendetta wrote:(This is still pretty much the first time I've seen a love triangle plot where the "right" answer isn't blindingly obvious, Sheryl and Ranka are both great)
Eh, Minmei and Misa were pretty even in DYRL, I thought.
In the series, I always preferred Misa. Minmay was a contender for the first third or so of the series, but after that she kinda wore thin.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Vendetta wrote:
Manus Celer Dei wrote: In the series, I always preferred Misa. Minmay was a contender for the first third or so of the series, but after that she kinda wore thin.

That's one of the few things I prefer about the original macross to Robotech.

In Robotech, the voice actor they picked for Minmay was so goddamn annoying, and her singing voice was even worse.

Most of the time I prefer Robotech's voice acting to the Macross dub, but she was definitly the exception.

Speaking of annoying singing voices, I just started watching macross 7, and Robotech's minmay doesn't hold a candle to basra.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Darksider wrote:Speaking of annoying singing voices, I just started watching macross 7, and Robotech's minmay doesn't hold a candle to basra.
VF5SS will hate you for that.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Galvatron wrote: VF5SS will hate you for that.
I don't care.

I found Robotech's minmay to be slightly annoying.

Whenever that jackass flys into battle and starts singing I want to put my fist through the screen

although that's not so much about his singing voice (but I still hate it) as it is about his annoying strategy of "defeating the enemy with music."

I'm still hoping he'll come around and realize that he'll have to shoot once and a while, since he'd actually be a hell of a combat pilot if he actually had the balls to shoot somebody.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darksider wrote:although that's not so much about his singing voice (but I still hate it) as it is about his annoying strategy of "defeating the enemy with music."

I'm still hoping he'll come around and realize that he'll have to shoot once and a while, since he'd actually be a hell of a combat pilot if he actually had the balls to shoot somebody.
In that case, Macross 7 might not be for you.

I don't like Basara but it's not for his singing, it's because he's a twat when he's not singing, and generally acts like a jerk to everyone else in the whole Macross 7 fleet.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Looks like Ranka has some sort of ties with Mao, if Omza's talk about "fate" is true. So Sheryl and her might actually be cousins.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Darksider wrote:
Galvatron wrote: VF5SS will hate you for that.
I don't care.

I found Robotech's minmay to be slightly annoying.

Whenever that jackass flys into battle and starts singing I want to put my fist through the screen

although that's not so much about his singing voice (but I still hate it) as it is about his annoying strategy of "defeating the enemy with music."

Don't you understand that the whole theme of Macross is that the power of love and music will triumph over anything?!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

For serious.

The power of love and music is what Macross has been always about.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Galvatron wrote: Don't you understand that the whole theme of Macross is that the power of love and music will triumph over anything?!
anyone who thinks that "love and music" won space war 1/ the first robotech war seems to conveniently forget the 1 million+ zentradi defector warships and the Macross' vast supply of reflex warheads.

also, I got into anime with robotech, which downplays the music and love angle in the latter two series for a more general "good guys team up with not so bad guys on the other side to take out the dickheads in charge and make peace." usually doing so via massive swarms of missiles (seriously. Does anyone know how the hell they fit all those things in there? It's like the Veritechs are freakin Tardis')
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Darksider wrote:anyone who thinks that "love and music" won space war 1/ the first robotech war seems to conveniently forget the 1 million+ zentradi defector warships and the Macross' vast supply of reflex warheads.
And you have completely forgotten that the only reason why they were successful was broadcasting Minmei singing, and then her and Kaifun kissing, coupled with the Grand Cannon clearing them a path. If it wasn't for culture shock freezing the Zentraedi, the Macross would never have gotten close enough to do the Macross Attack.

And I was fairly certain that the fleets under Breetai and Lap'lamiz numbered considerable less than a million. I haven't seen Super Dimension Fortress Macross, in a while, so numbers escape me, but I was fairly certain that the reinforcements that Breetai asks Bodolza for only amounts to a couple of tens of thousands.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Galvatron wrote:Don't you understand that the whole theme of Macross is that the power of love and music will triumph over anything?!
Still no Macross installment has ever come close to matching the literalness of that theme represented in Macross 7. It's like watching Tenacious D sending demons to hell with rock music except that Basara isn't nearly as fun to watch as Jack Black.
Image[
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Breetai's fleet in Robotech was stated to be 1 million, SDF Macross had his branch fleet at a modest 1213 warships. the greater Boddole Zer fleet was stated at rather precisely 4,795,122 warships at the start of the conflict (Including Breetai's branch). something around 2 million warships across both sides were lost in the final battle of Space War 1.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Stop talking about Robotech in this thread.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

It's Gamlin's role to be the combat pilot and not Basara. And without spoiling it for you, Basara's singing becomes very important later on, not only to the Macross 7 fleet but to their enemies the Protodevlin as well.

The VF-19 carries live ammo and Basara uses them once or twice (albeit reluctantly).
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

VF5SS wrote:Stop talking about Robotech in this thread.
Can we talk about Macross II?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Only in an alternate universe.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

It's been a little while since the show was bumped for a week due to some soccer match, but hey! So they're working on a short video for the Blu-Ray release that is called "All that VF!" It's a retrospective look on Valkyries. Promo
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Nice, even if the promo gives nothing away!

Hanging out for next episode...
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

SUPER BIG NEWS!

Macross PSP game. It's made by the guys who did Gundam Battle Chronicle so expect a lot of Valkyries and lots of stuff to do.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。