Macross F (Frontier) information and preview video.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

VF5SS wrote:Also, this the cutest thing ever.
It must help when your best friend as a kid is five metres tall...

Also, Klan certainly wants some of Michel, there appear to be some technical difficulties though (personally, I think he should man up and jump in a Micloning chamber, it worked for Graham in Dynamite 7).
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

And Graham wasn't even Zentraedi, right?
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

No, he was a Zolan, and they're genetically nothing like Humans or Zentradi (They're marsupials, for a start).
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

I don't think they're really marsupials. Maybe they originally came from marsupials, but the Protoculture's influence made them just like humans. Albeit with pointy ears and a penchant for panchos. In regards to Klan and Michel, I bet he was her favorite dolly.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm fairly sure they were. There's that radio soap that's doing the traditional doomed romance "alas it cannot be" story, and the big reveal is that one of the two participants is a marsupial.

Everything on Zola was a marsupial, even birds.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Just started watching this, and i like it for the most part.

I know I have to turn off my brain a little when watching Macross, or the transforming fighters will make my ears bleed. Still, even with that, I dislike the idea of transforming capital ships like the Macross quarter. I know that in robotech/macross, the transformation was the only way they could fire the main gun, so I sort of excused it. Who the fuck would design a ship that has to undergo a lengthy transformation procedure to fire it's main weapon?

Other than that though, I've been pretty impressed. I like the music (the orchestral score, not the lame-ass J-pop that gets stuck in your head so bad you need a power drill to get it out.) ,and the dogfights are intense.

The Vajira seem like a pretty powerful opponent, since one of them was able to one-shot two U.N. Spacy cruisers (i'm not calling it NUNS.) and disable a third before it breaks into the frontier.

As for green-haired harmonica-dude, is anyone else putting money on him being a not quite so dead relative of Ranka's?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Darksider wrote:The Vajira seem like a pretty powerful opponent, since one of them was able to one-shot two U.N. Spacy cruisers (i'm not calling it NUNS.) and disable a third before it breaks into the frontier.
Yeah, and then crushed a guy like a bug, DID YOU SEE THAT??

If you dislike J-pop, get outta the kitchen!!
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darksider wrote:As for green-haired harmonica-dude, is anyone else putting money on him being a not quite so dead relative of Ranka's?
Not putting money on it at this point, but I will be completely unsurprised if it turns out that way.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

You can see a Galaxy logo on the side of Mysterious Bastard's planerobot, which is pretty interesting. Adds more weight to the "Vajra are a NUNS secret project fuckup" idea.

Does it say anywhere when the Galaxy fleet launched? Would it have been around when the Vajra attack that killed Ranka's family happened?
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:You can see a Galaxy logo on the side of Mysterious Bastard's planerobot, which is pretty interesting. Adds more weight to the "Vajra are a NUNS secret project fuckup" idea.

Does it say anywhere when the Galaxy fleet launched? Would it have been around when the Vajra attack that killed Ranka's family happened?
I can't find a launch date anywhere. But Ranka's family was killed 11 years prior to the series (2048, current is 2059), and the NUNs knew about the Vajra since 2040 (Macross Plus era), it's hard to say when the Galaxy set off without more background info.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

The VF-27 also has a big ol' NUNS logo on the other wing. The current speculation is that it is another design based on the VF-25 progenitor, the YF-24. The only real information on the Galaxy's launch date is that it's the 21st long distance colonization fleet. Frontier is number 25 of course.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Vendetta wrote:Also, Klan certainly wants some of Michel, there appear to be some technical difficulties though (personally, I think he should man up and jump in a Micloning chamber, it worked for Graham in Dynamite 7).
Mikhail is an unusual young man. I mean, he actually suggests that Klan Klan keep him company for the night, only to spit in her face that he'd be locked up for it (cue the slap to the face of his battroid. Hilarious!). It might not be mutual, or at the very least, Mikhail has some unusual honour thing stopping him from taking it anywhere.

Because we know he could.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Maybe they've got more of a step sibling thing going? At least that's the vibe I get.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

That seems to be all it is to Michel. Klan, it looks like, wants a relationship upgrade. Hence what he thought of as a joke got an armour piercing slap. (seriously, it says something about Klan that she can slap your giant robot so hard that it still hurts.)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Vendetta wrote:That seems to be all it is to Michel. Klan, it looks like, wants a relationship upgrade. Hence what he thought of as a joke got an armour piercing slap. (seriously, it says something about Klan that she can slap your giant robot so hard that it still hurts.)
At least she's no Breetai. :D
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

According the lyrics of one of the songs on the OST album that's been released (It's the sort of marching band type track, if you've got it) SMS stands for "Speed Miracle Spacey", whatever that means.

However, the lyrics also include the line "That weird chick's an alien, go hit her with your big rockets", so it's possible it's not being entirely serious.
General Zod wrote:the NUNs knew about the Vajra since 2040 (Macross Plus era), it's hard to say when the Galaxy set off without more background info.
Wait, what? Where did it say that?
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:
General Zod wrote:the NUNs knew about the Vajra since 2040 (Macross Plus era), it's hard to say when the Galaxy set off without more background info.
Wait, what? Where did it say that?
In episode 5 they said the Vajra's existence was first confirmed 19 years ago, which puts it at sometime in 2040. (They mention this roughly halfway through the episode).
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Klan slapping Michael around was awesome. And that hilarious picture of their childhood.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

It was awesome, and absolutely warrented. I even felt shocked that he said it; and then remembered that he's still just an adolescent. Klan probably had the same sudden flush of thoughts and feelings.

I was pleased to see the VF-27 isn't impermeable.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Nephtys wrote:Klan slapping Michael around was awesome. And that hilarious picture of their childhood.
It's the kind of childhood that can only lead to TRAUMA
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

VF5SS wrote:It's the kind of childhood that can only lead to TRAUMA
Is that fanart?
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

"Legend of Zero" was full of movie magic! I really enjoyed it. Somehow this movie within a show version of Macross Zero makes up for all of its shortcomings and plays well to the strength of that OVA. And it's also a really good ad for the Macross Zero Blu-ray disks coming out in August.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

General Zod wrote:In episode 5 they said the Vajra's existence was first confirmed 19 years ago, which puts it at sometime in 2040. (They mention this roughly halfway through the episode).
Oh, right. Brainfart. For some reason I thought you meant there was something about the Vajra in Macross Plus itself.

Ep.10 was quite a fun episode, even if there was plenty of stock footage and pretty light on plot.

Also, I guess it's pretty much confirmed now that Mysterious Bastard is Ranka's brother, as eveyone was guessing.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

So it's implied that Ozma knew 'Doctor Mao', which is very interesting. Not surprising that Mao went on to to an advanced field, considering her personality. She should be around 60 at the time of Frontier, though considering Ozma's reaction, I wouldn't be surprised if Ranka was Mao's granddaughter or something.

And we still have the unanswered question of whether/if Sheryl is related to Sarah and Mao. Sheryl and Ranka could easily be cousins if it's true. o.O
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I've barely watched any of Zero, but still instantly recognized the scene from the start. They played it very well!

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage