W40K as Anime

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I've got to say, it could be done as an anime and I dislike a lot (but not all) anime. A lot of conventions of the popular anime wouldn't work and would be dropped, but as Spanky said, its a genre broader than most of the drek that gets peddled on North American tv.

The long speeches and the shouting the name of every attack would obviously go. :P
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

No, I did not say it's a genre, because it's not. I said that it was a medium that too many people apply reasoning to as if it were a merely a genre.

Animation is a medium, just like live-action motion film or television, music, or text are mediums.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Ou des
Youngling

Post by Ou des »

Anyone ever see the old Lord of the Rings cartoon movie, the one by Ralph Bakshi? I think that kind of style might work well with 40k.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Bakshi? Are you serious? Despite how much I love it, have you actually seen Wizards or some of his other stuff like the second Fritz the Cat movie? Bakshi can get extremely lazy and cartoonish at times.

Plus I don't think he's really done anything since the 1980s.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Ou des
Youngling

Post by Ou des »

Never seen them. And I didn't say he should direct it, just that the artistic style might fit.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I am talking about Bakshi's artistic style: more often than not it was just plain lazy.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Todd McFaralene's Spawn. Now THAT's animation with a dark and gritty feel.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Todd McFaralene's Spawn. Now THAT's animation with a dark and gritty feel.
Yesyesyes. That style would certainly suit 40k to a tee.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Rogue 9 wrote: Hence the quotes. Fine, let's put it this way: No catgirls or tentacle monsters. Eventually some studio exec would seize upon Chaos mutation as an excuse to do that and you know it. :P
Why? It's already been done in a short story. It may have been Eisenhorn or one of the anthologies, but it involved one of the plot characters getting busted in on while he was spending some quality time with a feline mutant.

I think it can be done, I just don't want to see something happen like the Lensmen anime.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Tasoth wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote: Hence the quotes. Fine, let's put it this way: No catgirls or tentacle monsters. Eventually some studio exec would seize upon Chaos mutation as an excuse to do that and you know it. :P
Why? It's already been done in a short story. It may have been Eisenhorn or one of the anthologies, but it involved one of the plot characters getting busted in on while he was spending some quality time with a feline mutant.
Short story. Forgot the exact title, but I think it may have been on Necromunda. Guy who ratted out his partner took the riches and spent 'em on whores; partner showed up after getting patched up to get his own back.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

It's this simple. People want a basic idea of what type of animation used for 40K in keeping with it's angsty style?

Yes: Image

No: Image
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

hmmm those guys could pass as Steel Legion troops.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I'm going to ignore Ghost Rider's post because it makes mine (which I have been planning since 7:30 am) kind of moot.

Space Marines and Warhammer 40K combat would work just fine as an animation. I mean if a guy with Flash can do this just picture what a real animation studio could do.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Adrian Laguna wrote: Space Marines and Warhammer 40K combat would work just fine as an animation. I mean if a guy with Flash can do this just picture what a real animation studio could do.
Hopefully a bit better since the budget will be expanded from Doritos and Ginger Ale to actual money. Although the Cardboard Box O' Space Marine was hillarious.

Anyone ever sen the funnier 40k Flash with the two Ultramarines bitching about The Emperor? The end is priceless.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

You know, when polite people talk about stuff that is potentially funny and/or entertaining, they provide links to it.

BTW - Ghost Rider, where is that picture of the cool masked dudes from?
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Adrian Laguna wrote:You know, when polite people talk about stuff that is potentially funny and/or entertaining, they provide links to it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/237049

Found it. They were actually Blood Angels, I think. Although there is an Ultramarine.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Adrian Laguna wrote:You know, when polite people talk about stuff that is potentially funny and/or entertaining, they provide links to it.

Jin Roh. Actually a pretty decent anime, and I enjoyed it's level of brutality and rather dismal setting.

Strangely thought how they looked like primitive Space Marine, epsecially fully decked out.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Bakshi? Are you serious? Despite how much I love it, have you actually seen Wizards or some of his other stuff like the second Fritz the Cat movie? Bakshi can get extremely lazy and cartoonish at times.

He did 'Cool World', a movie with Kim Basinger as a Doodle (Toon) who wants to enter the Noid (human) world, in the early 1990s. It's understandable if you can't remember the movie, it was pretty crappy, with it's 15 minutes of fame being wasted putting Holly (Kim Basinger's character) on top of the Hollywood sign to advertise the movie.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

It might be better to have the chicks from the second picture in the movie.

Has anyone ever seen the models from GW. Practically everyone of them is male. One or two females. (and not really even good looking men either, they're all bald and look like Holocaust survivors mostly)

Seriously, unless we intend for this to be one of them, what's the Japanese word...oh i forget, but unless its gonna be one of them "Boy's Love" things (the anime people know what i'm talking about) then we'll need some actual anime chicks, realism be damned.

Otherwise it'll be a total sausage factory.
Kanye West Saves.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Sidewinder wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Bakshi? Are you serious? Despite how much I love it, have you actually seen Wizards or some of his other stuff like the second Fritz the Cat movie? Bakshi can get extremely lazy and cartoonish at times.

He did 'Cool World', a movie with Kim Basinger as a Doodle (Toon) who wants to enter the Noid (human) world, in the early 1990s. It's understandable if you can't remember the movie, it was pretty crappy, with it's 15 minutes of fame being wasted putting Holly (Kim Basinger's character) on top of the Hollywood sign to advertise the movie.
Actually, I have heard of that movie. It came out in 1992, and I remember seeing the ads for it on TV when I was ten years old.
18 Till wrote:Seriously, unless we intend for this to be one of them, what's the Japanese word...oh i forget, but unless its gonna be one of them "Boy's Love" things (the anime people know what i'm talking about) then we'll need some actual anime chicks, realism be damned.

Shounen-ai, and I love your "logic" here: an all male cast automatically makes something "gay."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Cool World is fantastic...
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:It might be better to have the chicks from the second picture in the movie.

Has anyone ever seen the models from GW. Practically everyone of them is male. One or two females. (and not really even good looking men either, they're all bald and look like Holocaust survivors mostly)

Seriously, unless we intend for this to be one of them, what's the Japanese word...oh i forget, but unless its gonna be one of them "Boy's Love" things (the anime people know what i'm talking about) then we'll need some actual anime chicks, realism be damned.

You've evidently never seen an Adepta Sororitas army, then. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Rogue 9 wrote: You've evidently never seen an Adepta Sororitas army, then. :P
I don't think Sisters are very cuddly. In fact, they're probably Nuns with Guns anyhow.

Wait, Anime...
Nuns...
Belay that quibble! :)
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Ghost Rider wrote:

Jin Roh. Actually a pretty decent anime, and I enjoyed it's level of brutality and rather dismal setting.

Strangely thought how they looked like primitive Space Marine, epsecially fully decked out.
I thought they looked more like Death Korps of Krieg, myself.

Also, I need to get Jin Roh now. Even though I'm broke. :cry:
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

MRDOD wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote: You've evidently never seen an Adepta Sororitas army, then. :P
I don't think Sisters are very cuddly. In fact, they're probably Nuns with Guns anyhow.

Wait, Anime...
Nuns...
Belay that quibble! :)
What Space Marines do in their spare time. :mrgreen:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician