Eldar versus Clonies.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Whats the result ?

Clonestomp
34%
Eldarstomp
46%
MAD.
20%

Total votes: 41

Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

SirNitram wrote:Let's see... The Orks, who probably don't know what infrared means, the Imperium, who reload space-based cannon by teams of labourers... Yea, I'm starting to think maybe they might not.
They can't manage a simple infrared scope? We've had those since what, the bloody 1970s? Yeah, sure...
God I hate these brain bugs. One thread on another message board somebody said combat aircraft were a lost tech in the Imperium. :roll:
Darth Sephiroth
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Sephiroth »

I'd think the Republic Gunships could do a lot of damage with their weapons in this one
Need Backup!
My Employer ID is: 29877
See the New Imperium (Please check this out we need people there)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Junghalli wrote:One thread on another message board somebody said combat aircraft were a lost tech in the Imperium. :roll:
He's wrong.

As are you.

They were a lost tech in the Emperor's early crusade forces. They had the capability to lift to orbit on landers, but not much else. However, the Imperium later recovered the knowledge of advanced aerodynamics needed for arial combat.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

One example of an Eldar transport plane is the Vampire.

Here are the specs for it:

Length: 26m
Height: 7.1m
Wingspan: 13.2m
Weight (estimated): 56 tonnes
Armour: 8-10mm unknown material (equal to 30-45mm Imperium armour)
Max speed: 3200kph (estimated)
Armament: Two sets of wing-mounted dual pulse lasers, nose mounted scatter laser, potentially provision for missiles of some kind
Troop transport capacity: Thirty troops (estimated), plus unknown provisions for support weapons

The wing armour on the Vampire in question took a direct hit from a Earthshaker cannon round (which creates 15m wide craters on ground impacts (Storm Of Iron), and only suffered a limited amount of damage (minor breach of the wing armour).

(all data from Inferno!#41, pages 18 and 19)
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

NecronLord wrote:He's wrong.
As are you.
They were a lost tech in the Emperor's early crusade forces. They had the capability to lift to orbit on landers, but not much else. However, the Imperium later recovered the knowledge of advanced aerodynamics needed for arial combat.
They had spacecraft but no aircraft?
:wtf:
I'm sorry, that's just... really dumb.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Not really.

Loose the concept of the aerodynamic wing (they still don't have this). See how easy you find air combat.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

We have established in other threads that 40K marines >> clonetroopers and that it would be more appropriate to compare the clonies with the upper-end Imperial Guard. And now people are seriously questioning whether the goddamn Aspect Warriors are good against clonies?

Incidentally, Aspects are not all close combat oriented. In fact most use ranged attacks: Dark Reapers (have rapid firing anti personel RPG launchers with targeters)Swooping Hawks (have fast jetpack equivalents) Warp Spiders (personal teleporters and very nasty small arms),Dire Avengers (are tactically versatile (in the fluff, that is))Fire Dragons (have fusion blasters (a kind of short range anti-tank weapon, also good against armoured troops)) and Shining Spears have ranged weapons built into their jetbikes.

The Striking Scorpions are a close assault aspect but they are meant to be deployed as infiltrators. The Howling Banshees are also a close assault unit , but they have a kind of short range psychic weapon built into their masks that stuns enemy units that they assault (so they won't neccesarily be able to shoot them as they approach). Prior to that they will use Wave Serpent transports (which combine the utility of tanks and helicopter gunships, plus come with a protective energy field).

PS I second Bob the Gunslinger's question about the meaning of the questions:
This may sound silly, but does "clonestomp" mean that the clones lose
and vice versa for Eldarstomp?
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Ender wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of "we never lost infared sensing technology". Waste heat can't be hidden. Kiss your stealth goodbye.
Holofields do not blot out EM radiation from ships and vehicles. They distort it making it impossible to lock on to them.
When you have 10 km ranges for your rifles, you tend not to give a fuck about hand to hand fighters in the dust clouds.
Se my previous post.
Again, infared and thermodynamics mean this stealth doesn't do shit.[/quote]

Nopers.
I'm yet to see anything about the abilities of these Eldar, aside from people proclaiming instant slaughter. Put up or shut up.
The Eldar have a wide range of highly elite highly specialized troops with training and equipment to handle their chosen role. These include more than just close combat guys as noted above. They function together like the various parts of a machine each unit attacking the right unit at the right time as determined by the precognitive powers of the Farseer and communicated to them telepathically. Through the Webway, they are able to open portals on the battlefield allowing new deployment points for reserve troops. As noted above all their transports combine the qualities of tanks and helicopter gunships and are shielded or cloaked, as are their more dedicated hovertanks.

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Here's my biggest sticking point. Eldar vehicle armor is quoted being the equivalent of x amount of IoM armor, which is in terms x amount of RHA.
All these armors can be penetrated by our day weapons.
Which means that any eldar vehicle hit by SW big guns is blown to bits.
Stealth is nice and all, but if SW has total dominance in the big guns, it really tips the scales for the clones.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Marcao
The Dominican Jayne

I go for the clonies

Post by Marcao »

I have played Eldar in WH40k for a while now even if currently my fleet and ground force is out of order since I decided that I no longer wanted to support GW. I own the 2nd edition Eldar Codex, The third edition Eldar Codex, The Kraftworld Cheldar codex, Battle Fleet Gothic and a few other trinkets of information. I will be basing a great deal of my comments primarily on fluff information as I have not to this day given a rat's ass about black library books and as such have not read any books dealing with Eldar ground actions.

1. Shuriken Weapons as a whole tend to suck. Since the weapons are not barrelled (back of the 3rd Edition Eldar Book somewhere) their range tends to be shit, which is represented by their abysmal 12" range in the rulebook. Eldar small arms do spit out a lot of fire (hence their assault nature) but the Clones have an obvious range advantage.

2. The average eldar militia member is not very different from billy ray the Imperial Guardsman conscript from Helena72. The average clone trooper is faster, tougher and a better shot. The average clone trooper is as well at least as well armored as the average eldar militia if not better. Eldar militia drive all Eldar vehicles, and as such eldar vehicles cannot match the accuracy of the more elite armies (Tau, Dark Eldar, SM, CSM, Necrons)

[quote=thirdfain]The Eldar field a variety of powerful, long-range crew served weapons such as the Starcannon and Shuriken Cannon, both of which threaten Space Marine power armor, which is superior to Clone Trooper carapace. The untrained, unexperienced clones get cut down in droves by heavy weapons fire. The Eldar's usage of indirect fire artillary gives them the advantage as well- Distortion Cannons will play hell with the Clone armored vehicles, and will do a fine number indeed on the line of sight SPHATS. [/quote]

I disagree with this assesment in several levels. Firstly the range on the shuriken cannon is nothing to brag about in the scheme of things. Secondly, the fact that these weapons "threatten" space marine armor is somewhat of a misnomer. A Star Cannon being plasma (ap 2) will of course burn throuh power armor like a lightsaber through a bulkhead. However, a shuriken cannon cannot penetrate the armor of a space marine outright. In this manner, just about any weapon that hits "threattens" Space Marine armor.

I also disagree with the assesment that Clone Troopers are untrained and unexperienced. The fact is that the bulk of most eldar armies are militia and it has already been established that they are not more trained or experienced than billy ray your typical Imperial Guard conscript. The Aspects are highly trained, but their numbers are inherently limited. The Eldar are a dying race, the Clone Troopers are not. Furthermore, the only means for the Eldar to field heavy weapons are through militia squadrons which are not known for their excellent accuracy or dark reapers, which cannot move while firing (once again, according to game mechanics.)

Distortion Cannons like Shuriken Cannons have abysmal range, and will likely be far out ranged by Clone artillery.
Marcao
The Dominican Jayne

Re: I go for the clonies

Post by Marcao »

Marcao wrote:I have played Eldar in WH40k for a while now even if currently my fleet and ground force is out of order since I decided that I no longer wanted to support GW. I own the 2nd edition Eldar Codex, The third edition Eldar Codex, The Kraftworld Cheldar codex, Battle Fleet Gothic and a few other trinkets of information. I will be basing a great deal of my comments primarily on fluff information as I have not to this day given a rat's ass about black library books and as such have not read any books dealing with Eldar ground actions.

1. Shuriken Weapons as a whole tend to suck. Since the weapons are not barrelled (back of the 3rd Edition Eldar Book somewhere) their range tends to be shit, which is represented by their abysmal 12" range in the rulebook. Eldar small arms do spit out a lot of fire (hence their assault nature) but the Clones have an obvious range advantage.

2. The average eldar militia member is not very different from billy ray the Imperial Guardsman conscript from Helena72. The average clone trooper is faster, tougher and a better shot. The average clone trooper is as well at least as well armored as the average eldar militia if not better. Eldar militia drive all Eldar vehicles, and as such eldar vehicles cannot match the accuracy of the more elite armies (Tau, Dark Eldar, SM, CSM, Necrons)
thirdfain wrote:The Eldar field a variety of powerful, long-range crew served weapons such as the Starcannon and Shuriken Cannon, both of which threaten Space Marine power armor, which is superior to Clone Trooper carapace. The untrained, unexperienced clones get cut down in droves by heavy weapons fire. The Eldar's usage of indirect fire artillary gives them the advantage as well- Distortion Cannons will play hell with the Clone armored vehicles, and will do a fine number indeed on the line of sight SPHATS.
I disagree with this assesment in several levels. Firstly the range on the shuriken cannon is nothing to brag about in the scheme of things. Secondly, the fact that these weapons "threatten" space marine armor is somewhat of a misnomer. A Star Cannon being plasma (ap 2) will of course burn throuh power armor like a lightsaber through a bulkhead. However, a shuriken cannon cannot penetrate the armor of a space marine outright. In this manner, just about any weapon that hits "threattens" Space Marine armor.

I also disagree with the assesment that Clone Troopers are untrained and unexperienced. The fact is that the bulk of most eldar armies are militia and it has already been established that they are not more trained or experienced than billy ray your typical Imperial Guard conscript. The Aspects are highly trained, but their numbers are inherently limited. The Eldar are a dying race, the Clone Troopers are not. Furthermore, the only means for the Eldar to field heavy weapons are through militia squadrons which are not known for their excellent accuracy or dark reapers, which cannot move while firing (once again, according to game mechanics.)

Distortion Cannons like Shuriken Cannons have abysmal range, and will likely be far out ranged by Clone artillery.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

The webway actually needs special gates set up in order for it to work, the closest the eldar have to warping would be the spiders.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Marcao
The Dominican Jayne

Post by Marcao »

Crap, I messed the quote up. ~_~ Sorry. A mod can feel free to delete the second post if so inclined. ^_^
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

Marcao wrote:Crap, I messed the quote up. ~_~ Sorry. A mod can feel free to delete the second post if so inclined. ^_^
I think we have to be careful not to confuse balance in the rules to the true power we see in the fluff.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Tasoth wrote:The webway actually needs special gates set up in order for it to work, the closest the eldar have to warping would be the spiders.
They have portable webway gate generators too, though they are somewhat uncommon.

Marcao
The Dominican Jayne

Post by Marcao »

Glimmervoid wrote:
Marcao wrote:Crap, I messed the quote up. ~_~ Sorry. A mod can feel free to delete the second post if so inclined. ^_^
I think we have to be careful not to confuse balance in the rules to the true power we see in the fluff.
I have already pointed out that I have a lot of the fluff. I have the second and third edition eldar codexes, I got the battlefleet gothich book, warp storm 1 and 2. I have some of the fluff, I don't own any of the books because frankly most of them never really impressed me and I am not going to pay for something I don't like. Yes, obviously we have to be careful about applying the game rules to debates but they are there, present, physical and written by the gods of GW. Andy Chambers himself clarified for a time that the way he envisioned it, 1cm was roughly equal to 10,000 kilometers as a scale for Battlefleet Gothic for a time.

Eldar shuriken weapons for example due to lack of rifling on the barrel have abysmal range. That is fact, taken straight from the third edition Eldar Codex.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Marcao wrote: 1. Shuriken Weapons as a whole tend to suck. Since the weapons are not barrelled (back of the 3rd Edition Eldar Book somewhere) their range tends to be shit, which is represented by their abysmal 12" range in the rulebook. Eldar small arms do spit out a lot of fire (hence their assault nature) but the Clones have an obvious range advantage.
Perhaps. The majority of kills in combat are caused by crew served weapons, though, and the Clone Trooper's lack of useful advancing doctorines ensure they'll get the wrong end of the stick.)
marcao wrote: I disagree with this assesment in several levels. Firstly the range on the shuriken cannon is nothing to brag about in the scheme of things. Secondly, the fact that these weapons "threatten" space marine armor is somewhat of a misnomer. A Star Cannon being plasma (ap 2) will of course burn throuh power armor like a lightsaber through a bulkhead. However, a shuriken cannon cannot penetrate the armor of a space marine outright. In this manner, just about any weapon that hits "threattens" Space Marine armor.
Hardly important, my point remains. The Eldar field numerous heavy, automatic weapons capable of threatening the Clone Troopers.

I also disagree with the assesment that Clone Troopers are untrained and unexperienced.
Trained by a man who has never seen actual war, and is fact little more than a bounty hunter. The poor quality of their training shows in their foolish and near-suicidal Civil War era tactics.
The fact is that the bulk of most eldar armies are militia and it has already been established that they are not more trained or experienced than billy ray your typical Imperial Guard conscript.
The average Imperial Guard conscript, while less well equipped than a Clone Trooper, benefits from a training regimen derived from millenia of modern warfare. The clone trooper does not. The average Guardian Defender militaiman or woman may not be as well equipped as a Clonetrooper, but he or she is certainly better prepared for war.
The Aspects are highly trained, but their numbers are inherently limited.
Limited, but sufficient.
Furthermore, the only means for the Eldar to field heavy weapons are through militia squadrons which are not known for their excellent accuracy or dark reapers, which cannot move while firing (once again, according to game mechanics.)
The Clone Troopers in their wave assaults will not be hard targets. If French conscripts could do it in Belgium in 1914, then Eldar conscripts can do it on Geonosis long, long ago. They don't need to be snipers. All they need to do is cut down the unprepared Clones as they march, without armored spearheads, without laying covering fire or using cover or going prone, across the flat desert.

The inability of Dark Reapers to move and fire is completely unimportant. They'll still be in a fine position to cut down their enemy.
Game mechanics, and ridiculous. The game weapons ranges for lascannon would be abysmal for modern heavy weapons. Would you have me believe that the Imperial Guard are at a huge disadvantage vs. modern-day weaponry because their most powerful antitank weapons have a range that is, at scale, somewhere in the range of a couple hundreds of meters? Modern machine-guns can lay down fire at ranges measured in miles.

Similarly, the game ranges for shuriken cannons are pretty damn useless. Relatively short ranged? Sure. Incapable of firing more than 50 meters or so? Ridiculous.

Oh, and what Clone artillary? Besides the SPHA-Ts in the Clone Wars cartoon (of dubious canon, recall the whole thing is a child's recount, IIRC,) they have none.

Even the guns in the Clone Wars were unable to hit the Banking Guild gun on Muunilist. The city it lay in the center of was large, but not dozens of miles in diameter. Modern heavy artillary can reach those ranges, yet the SPHA-T indirect weapons seemed unable to.

Frankly, I'm unimpressed. Some handwaving game statistics do not compare with the absolutely abysmal tactics displayed by the clones.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Ghetto edit:

This does not mean that they are able to arbitrarily jump onto, and back and forth across the battlefield. The gate is opened and their troops can use it as an entry point from then on.

Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

SVPD wrote: Armies don't, but individual soldiers do.

"Men, try to get to those rocks over there. The enemy isn't coming at us like we thought, they're playing defense"

"OK, Sarge"

The Clones didn't improve during the battle of Geonosis because they were winning. Obviously what they were doing against the droids was working, so there was no incentive to change.

Generally speaking, any army with halfway decent communications gear can asses when it's taking heavy casualties, and adjust to the tactical landscape.
Ah, that explains why over the course of WW1, it wasn't long until soldiers started finding ways to fight despite the choking system of trench warfare they'd been trained to fight in. That explains why it DIDN'T take until 1917 for people to start figuring out storm tactics and infiltration to break the enemy.

:roll:

The Clones will all be dead long before they can start whipping up a whole new spiffy combat doctorine. Recall that according to the Clone Wars cartoons (of dubious repute for the reason mentioned above, iirc.) Even then, they still exhibited the Civil War tactic, only they ran a little more often.

Marcao
The Dominican Jayne

Post by Marcao »

Thirdfain wrote:Perhaps. The majority of kills in combat are caused by crew served weapons, though, and the Clone Trooper's lack of useful advancing doctorines ensure they'll get the wrong end of the stick.)

You are of course entitled to your opinion. I am waiting until episode III myself to see some more Clone Trooper actions. Furthermore, in the EU books such as Jedi Trial and Labyrinth of Evil the Clone Troopers do not behave in the manner you seem to describe.
thirdfain wrote:Hardly important, my point remains. The Eldar field numerous heavy, automatic weapons capable of threatening the Clone Troopers.
The Eldar swordwind army by virtue of being a swordwind design will rely far more heavily on its aspects than its militia in order to suceed. Its heavy weapon count will be limited by the fact that aspect warriors do not carry heavy weapons in grav platforms like the militia can.
thirdfain wrote:Trained by a man who has never seen actual war, and is fact little more than a bounty hunter. The poor quality of their training shows in their foolish and near-suicidal Civil War era tactics.
Jango was the "best" bounty hunter of his time. We are not talking about mediocrity here, they chose him because he had the desired talents for replication. A man that was not ordinary by any stretch of the imagination.
thirdfain wrote:Limited, but sufficient.
I disagree. Since hard numbers for the population of a craftworld are not in my fluff pile, it is difficult to assess exactly how many aspect warriors any particular craftworld holds. However, Clonetroopers by definition are more readily available and likely more numerous.
thirdfain wrote:The Clone Troopers in their wave assaults will not be hard targets. If French conscripts could do it in Belgium in 1914, then Eldar conscripts can do it on Geonosis long, long ago. They don't need to be snipers. All they need to do is cut down the unprepared Clones as they march, without armored spearheads, without laying covering fire or using cover or going prone, across the flat desert.
Like I have already said earlier, I am looking forward to Episode III to see if their tactics improve at all as is hinted in the aforementioned books. However, since it has already been established that eldar small arms have mediocre range. As such, the Eldar will be in range of Clone weapons before they can return fire.
"thirdfain"]The inability of Dark Reapers to move and fire is completely unimportant. They'll still be in a fine position to cut down their enemy.
Assuming they can see the enemy of course they will be able to fire and since they cannot move while firing, I am sure that you will put two and two together as to what happens to these immobile and relatively "squishy" targets are on the battlefield.
thirdfain wrote:Game mechanics, and ridiculous. The game weapons ranges for lascannon would be abysmal for modern heavy weapons. Would you have me believe that the Imperial Guard are at a huge disadvantage vs. modern-day weaponry because their most powerful antitank weapons have a range that is, at scale, somewhere in the range of a couple hundreds of meters? Modern machine-guns can lay down fire at ranges measured in miles.

Similarly, the game ranges for shuriken cannons are pretty damn useless. Relatively short ranged? Sure. Incapable of firing more than 50 meters or so? Ridiculous.

Oh, and what Clone artillary? Besides the SPHA-Ts in the Clone Wars cartoon (of dubious canon, recall the whole thing is a child's recount, IIRC,) they have none.

Even the guns in the Clone Wars were unable to hit the Banking Guild gun on Muunilist. The city it lay in the center of was large, but not dozens of miles in diameter. Modern heavy artillary can reach those ranges, yet the SPHA-T indirect weapons seemed unable to.
No, sweet pea. I have no idea personally of what the real world ranges the Eldar weapons would be like. However, you cannot argue the fact that they are among the shortest ranged weapons in Universe. Whether you like it or not, Distortion Cannons have shit range. Its fact. A distortion cannon battery cannot and will never match the range of a whirlwind or a basilisk or any other half way decent artillery system in Universe.

If the books bring into evidence that distort cannon have ranges in the hundreds of kilometers, you are all totally within your rights to show this information and I will accept it. However, until that happens all that we can accurately access is that Distort Cannons have sub-standard range when compared to other similar systems.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

NecronLord wrote:Not really.

Loose the concept of the aerodynamic wing (they still don't have this). See how easy you find air combat.
What? That's retarded!

The miniature pure-space fighters that come with the BSG markers are more aerodynamic than the stupid Lightnings and Thunderbolts. I guess I always picture something else when reading the novels, but now that you mention it, the canon WWII-chic aircraft designs are fucking weak.

Hell, even the Ork fighta-bomma (an armored F-86 Sabre) has swept wings!
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

Marcao wrote:
You are of course entitled to your opinion. I am waiting until episode III myself to see some more Clone Trooper actions. Furthermore, in the EU books such as Jedi Trial and Labyrinth of Evil the Clone Troopers do not behave in the manner you seem to describe.
This is hardly important. We are talking about the Battle of Geonosis, and the Clone Troopers of that era. Their tactics are not my opinion, they are canon. We can all see them, on screen, marching in those nice human waves.

thirdfain wrote: The Eldar swordwind army by virtue of being a swordwind design will rely far more heavily on its aspects than its militia in order to suceed. Its heavy weapon count will be limited by the fact that aspect warriors do not carry heavy weapons in grav platforms like the militia can.
A couple dozen heavy machine gun equivs in the hands of semicompotent soldiers would be more than sufficient to stop the Clone advance towards the core ships. A Swordwind army should be able to conjour that up just fine.
thirdfain wrote: Jango was the "best" bounty hunter of his time. We are not talking about mediocrity here, they chose him because he had the desired talents for replication. A man that was not ordinary by any stretch of the imagination.
Are you SERIOUSLY implying that a bounty hunter is someone who knows military tactics? This is simply ridiculous. You can't wave away the simple fact that in AOTC, the clones MARCH FORWARDS IN A HUMAN WAVE. THEY TAKE NO COVER. THEY USE NO ARMORED SPEARHEADS. THEY ATTACK ON A BROAD, FLAT PLAIN. This is not the act of a military genius. This is the act of an army which is lucky enough to be facing an equally inept foe.
thirdfain wrote: I disagree. Since hard numbers for the population of a craftworld are not in my fluff pile, it is difficult to assess exactly how many aspect warriors any particular craftworld holds. However, Clonetroopers by definition are more readily available and likely more numerous.
Sure, but we are pitting roughly equal number forces here. I see no reason why the Eldar, who are capable of (barely) standing up to the multi-billion man armies of the Imperium of Man, will be unable to match the clones at Geonosis.
thirdfain wrote: Like I have already said earlier, I am looking forward to Episode III to see if their tactics improve at all as is hinted in the aforementioned books. However, since it has already been established that eldar small arms have mediocre range. As such, the Eldar will be in range of Clone weapons before they can return fire.
We are talking about the Geonosis battle, so who cares about ep. 3.

And you are wrong. Eldar heavy weapons will have opened fire on the Clones significantly before the Clones, who fire from the HIP, will be able to place accurate fire. The effects of Eldar small arms is of minimal importance to this battle.
If the books bring into evidence that distort cannon have ranges in the hundreds of kilometers..
Unnecessary. The Clones didn't even HAVE non-line of sight arty at Geonosis, and dubious evidence at BEST gives them arty inferior in range to our own today. The Eldar have less range than the fantastic IoM arty. That doesn't mean they'll be inferior to the godawful (and perhaps simply non-existent) clone arty.

Assuming they can see the enemy of course they will be able to fire and since they cannot move while firing, I am sure that you will put two and two together as to what happens to these immobile and relatively "squishy" targets are on the battlefield.
Once again, why would they be unable to see the Clones? THE CLONES ARE TACTICAL RETARDS AS OF GEONOSIS. You can't refute that fact. Do so, or concede.

white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

This is hardly important. We are talking about the Battle of Geonosis, and the Clone Troopers of that era. Their tactics are not my opinion, they are canon. We can all see them, on screen, marching in those nice human waves
I think its ITW that says the Clonies actually walk into battle in such formations because they were trained to assume they would have a Jedi in front of them deflecting blaster bolts :D

Love to see how that works against Shurikens ;)

They have portable webway gate generators too, though they are somewhat uncommon.
They have a superheavy transport with a portable webgate inside it..

And yes, the poll options are confusing, Eldarstomp means the eldar win, figure out the rest yourselves..;)
Holofields do not blot out EM radiation from ships and vehicles. They distort it making it impossible to lock on to them
Wraithbone hulls are also described as distorting active sensor radiation.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Eldarstomp means the Eldar win? I thought it meant "The battle will be an eldarstomp, wherein the Eldar get stomped." :oops: Perhaps the next poll should use clearer, more universal terminology.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Eldarstomp means the Eldar win? I thought it meant "The battle will be an eldarstomp, wherein the Eldar get stomped." :oops: Perhaps the next poll should use clearer, more universal terminology.
eldar stomp the clonies

clonies stomp the eldar...

works for me