The Orville

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: The Orville

Post by FedRebel »

Planetary Union Ship Replicators are programed with Pot Brownies (Cannabis Edible) and Tequila

The Planetary Union is not the most advanced civilization, The Calivon are far more advanced and the Union Admiralty is reluctant/afraid of them...preferring to "write off" experienced officers.

Fleet Admirals appear to be common in the Union Fleet (hope as the series progresses we get more context for a wartime rank being so prolific)

The Orville's library includes ^10,000 episodes of reality TV, from Duck Dynasty to The Bachelor...and Keeping up with the Kardashians

The show did a good job portraying the burdens of command on a green officer, refreshing change from most sci/fi

Bortus' species lays eggs that incubate for 21 days before hatching
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I enjoyed the second episode after the first eight minutes or so. Spoiler
The bit with Mercer trying to crack bad jokes to Bordas and then his parents engaging in embarrassment humor in front of the whole bridge made me cringe, but after that was over the rest of the episode was good drama.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

FedRebel wrote: 2017-09-18 08:03pm Fleet Admirals appear to be common in the Union Fleet (hope as the series progresses we get more context for a wartime rank being so prolific)
You are assuming that "Fleet Admiral" is a wartime rank for the Union. The first episode said they had "3,000 ships to crew." Makes sense that with that many ships you need a correspondingly large pool of flag officers and a new senior rank.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

The second episode was my first. All the adds say t Sept. 28th or some thing like that so I wasn't even looking for it untill I saw the talk on here, what the heell?

Any whoo I'm loving the grafics on this show. So sweet. It looks like the shuttles get their own "quantum drive" except its a little different, it's a bit cute if u ask me.
Also looks like they are going to use the shuttle's in place of a transporter thingy. Hmm I wonder how long that will last. The transporter was so expeedient, the shuttle takes up more screen time. I suppose they could just cut to the away team on the surface for expediency but its so easy to get lazy with stock transporter footage. I guess we will see.
Making the most advanced race big headed little body made me think of the ubiquitous "grays" except red, really red, maybe gray skinned would be too on the nose?
I'm starting to like the little leutenant that could take the hulk character. She is funny.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The only reason transporters were used in Star Trek to begin with is because they didn't have the effects budget to do shuttles, and of course once established it stuck.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The star trekky take on gender issues really surprised me in this episode. I haven’t seen the resolution yet cause I had to leave for work, but DAMN.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

FireNexus wrote: 2017-09-22 10:25am The star trekky take on gender issues really surprised me in this episode. I haven’t seen the resolution yet cause I had to leave for work, but DAMN.
Hulu or On Demand/FoxNow it, Star Trek invented the iPhone just for this
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, this episode was most definitely not comedic. There were a couple of side gags at the beginning, but the main plot was treated with absolute seriousness throughout. Given the subject matter, I think that was absolutely the right call.

And it's streaming free right here if you haven't caught the end of it yet.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Expected a happy ending... but wow.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, Moklan society is apparently extremely fucked up. Spoiler
Personally, I'm wondering how much of that "once every 75 years" statistic is true; that we came up with three Moklans of the, like, seven named/speaking ones confirmed born female (Klyden, the old woman they found in the mountains, and of course the baby), it's possible that they're actually a sexually dimorphic species and simply regularly do sex changes on female infants. Considering Klyden didn't know until he was examined by a Union doctor, we don't know what the actual rate is, considering they have an extreme taboo against discussing the subject.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Well, Brannon Bragga , of all people gave us that one. Holy cow. And written by MacFarlane - all of them so far. For a parody, I am seriously impressed
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I just caught the first episode and so far I'm enjoying it. It's smartly written and even if the first episode was comedy focused I feel like this is a crew I want to follow.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I've only seen the first two episodes but so far I am very impressed.

It's almost as if the initial idea was "let's do Star Trek but with actual, normal humans (etc) rather than idealised versions."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-the first two episodes is all there is so far.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Batman wrote: 2017-09-23 10:10am Um-the first two episodes is all there is so far.
Fasle, lol. Episode three aired Thursday.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-09-23 08:27am I've only seen the first two episodes but so far I am very impressed.

It's almost as if the initial idea was "let's do Star Trek but with actual, normal humans (etc) rather than idealised versions."
And, quite importantly, understands there is a distinction between actual normal humans and a collection of vile assholes.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-23 10:15am
Batman wrote: 2017-09-23 10:10am Um-the first two episodes is all there is so far.
So it did. Huh. I somehow had this mentally slotted in a weekend airdate.

So, any speculation on what ECV stands for?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Batman wrote: 2017-09-23 02:58pm
JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-23 10:15am
So it did. Huh. I somehow had this mentally slotted in a weekend airdate.
IIRC, the first two eps were after Sunday Night Football then went to Thursday. IMO, it'll be canceled given that shitty timeslot.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

So, worth watching?

For the record, I highly recommend reading Steven Erikson's "Willful Child", as excellent ST parody/pastiches go :)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Personally I think definitely worth watching but not if you want straight-up parody. It's essentially TNG, but...done differently. I does have a lot more humour than TNG did (and a lot better done too) but it's not a parody show. As someone said earlier in the thread, it's TNG with real people
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

ECV ? Have not found a definition yet, but Exploration Cruiser , is best guess; the V? no idea yet, but could be like CV where the 'V' was designator applied for carrying heavier-than-air aircraft
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The praise for the third episode is why I'm giving it a shot. Wish they weren't 40+ minute episodes, though.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Isn't that the standard TV format?
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Batman wrote: 2017-09-23 05:27pm Isn't that the standard TV format?
Sure, but I don't like it with Seth MacFarlane. I can only take him in doses.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

What I don't like is that the production values of the show is less than your standard prime time sci-fi show but a step above Netflix.

Hell, I'd even put Babylon 5 slightly above The Orville in quality.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!