Blade Runner 2 with Harrison Ford confirmed

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Blade Runner 2 with Harrison Ford confirmed

Post by Simon_Jester »

Temjin wrote:There's also the unicorn.

Deckard has a dream of a white unicorn. Later on in the movie, Gaff gives Deckard an origami unicorn. Deckard never mentioned the dream to anybody.
I read the novel, but I was young and have a bad memory... are replicants supposed to be telepathic or something, explaining how that would matter?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Simon_Jester wrote:I read the novel, but I was young and have a bad memory... are replicants supposed to be telepathic or something, explaining how that would matter?
The idea is that the unicorn dream is an implanted memory (the thing which allows Rachel to fool the Voigt-Kampff test), Gaff knows about it because he knows Deckard is a replicant and what memories he has had implanted.

It's not a part of the book (the story of the book works better if Deckard is human, he's human but has less empathy than the replicants because whilst they develop it as they live the job of hunting them burned it out of him)
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

TheHammer wrote:It also begs the question of why you would send an inferior model in terms of strength and intelligence to take down a group of superior models...
How Deckard was intellectually inferior?

And sending weaker model would actually make sense, smaller problem if he rebels, you're ensuring cure isn't potentially worse than disease. If he is killed instead? So what, replicants are expendable, just order new model.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Erm, I haven't watched the movie but I have read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and didn't Deckard and Resch test each other and they both passed?
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Also, in "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", they make clear that the bounty hunters are only after androids who kill their owners and run away to earth, whilst Rachael has an owner and works as an advert for the Nexus 6. In fact Rachael says that Deckard can't legally retire her when he's about to try.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Yes- but the movie and the book are so different that it doesn't matter. Resch isn't even in the movie, nor anyone really recognizable as him; the Rick Deckard of the book is a junior agent on his first really big case, the Deckard of the movie is a burnt- out retiree with no family and little to live for. Not even an electric sheep.

The Deckard of the book is not a replicant- the suggestion that he might be is psyops by the renegade replicant underground. The Deckard of the movie probably is.
The only purpose in my still being here is the stories and the people who come to read them. About all else, I no longer care.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I lean towards Deckard being human, personally. If the technology exists to extract memories - specific memories at that - and implant them in replicants, then in theory Deckard and other Blade Runners could be subject to some form of mind scanning/reading. Could be a useful way of exerting a hold on them if they step too far out of line, for example. In a world where empathy is almost a swear word, I can see that being plausible.
Also Jwl, watch the film. If nothing else it's a visually astonishing experience, even by today's standards, especially in HD :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr. G
Youngling

Post by Mr. G »

Who cares, Hollywood has been dead for a couple of decades now.