Favorite Sci-fi Moments

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Favorite Sci-fi Moments

Post by Purple »

The Trench Run of Star Wars

Literally. It's absolutely the single most memorable movie moment of my childhood.
Brings back memories even today.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Since games have already been mentioned:

Mass Effect 2: The Suicide Mission is quite awesome and the musical score really sells it.
Mass Effect 3: I really enjoy the cinematic of the fleet warping in behind the Normandy. It actually conveys a sense of scale of a single ship bringing in an entire galaxy behind it. Just sucks the the rest of the game was a colossal failure in delivery.

Lately, I have found Person of Interest to be interesting when it gets to the grander theme of the A.I. The series keeps calling the thing a machine but the slow realization that it is an AI is both awesome and frighting with the episode of God Mode.

Andromeda: It turned to shit but Lexa Doig stole that show with the "I am a Warship and I don't like walking away from a fight"
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

PREDATOR490 wrote:
Andromeda: It turned to shit but Lexa Doig stole that show with the "I am a Warship and I don't like walking away from a fight"
I agree on that one. The whole idea of a sentient warship that is just that awesome is, well, awesome. My favourite is the exchange between her and Bekka in the first episode of season 2, where Andromeda remarks that the Worldship was heading for the Known Worlds anyway, so now you can face it head-on. Bekka's reply of "That is such a warship thing to say" is just so sweet.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Been said, but still

Star Wars Episode IV, Opening scene

Spaceships on film were nothing new, until now.....
camera pans down and that John Williams score rises....
Ship flashes past, shooting and being shot at....then it's pursuer hails into view and starts thundering past....and keeps going....and going...and going.... :shock:
Even today, still grabs you
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well since nobody specified serious SciFi, the opening scene from Spaceballs mocking the one from ANH, with the ship going past the camera ...and going past...and going past...going past...going past...still going past...still going...ending with the 'WE BRAKE FOR NOBODY' sign on the tail of the ship.
And of course the immemorable 'ludicrous speed' scene.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I'm gonna be the guy that breaks pattern and name a book.

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton.

It opens on the Mars Mission in the Prologue with the first manned mission to Mars. When they first step out of the vehicle, the Captain starts his preordained speech etc etc, and one of the main characters, Nigel Sheldon just interrupts him, "Yo, dude! How's it hangin'?" All of this after opening up the first prototype wormhole from Earth. Prologue ends there, first chapter opens up a few hundred years later.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The final round fight from 'Real Steel'.

And if we're talking books, how about 'gravitics up' and 'start rolling pods' from 'Honor among Enemies?' Yes, that was just a simulation, but we didn't know that at the time, and it was the first indicator of just how screwed you are at the receiving end of a podlayer barrage.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

The first appearance of the Executor. Star Destroyers were huge but suddenly in comes something that casts shadows on them. The Imperial March made it the perfect display of the might of the Empire. There's also the 501st Legion marching into the Jedi Temple.

In Titan AE, there's the Drej mothership being blown up.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

And if we're talking books, how about 'gravitics up' and 'start rolling pods' from 'Honor among Enemies?' Yes, that was just a simulation, but we didn't know that at the time, and it was the first indicator of just how screwed you are at the receiving end of a podlayer barrage.
"I think we've had enough of those sorts of trials. Goodbye Citizen Chairman."

All of Fanatic and a Ship Called Francis, but especially when Cachat is a captive of Yuri Radamacher, who keeps comparing himself to Napoleon's jailer on St. Helens.

Mutineer's Moon, the whole sequence where Colin is captured by "aliens" and brought to a hidden moonbase, only to realize the freaking moon is an ancient sentient starship. Still one of my all-time favorites.

Humans. Are. Superior.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

If we add books then, well, pretty much all of 2010: Odyssey Two counts, it's one of my all-time favourites.

The Battle of Sigma Octanus IV from Halo: The Fall of Reach is pretty damned epic.

However, absolute top spot has to go to the chapter of the original The War of the Worlds: "The Thunder Child." It's just stunning.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Moments, EF. Moments. Not entire books or multi-scene arcs. Moments.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Oh well in that case the Leonov's aerobraking stands out for me.

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

A couple of things:

- the opening scene of "Star Wars". In 1977, I was about 5.5 years old, and my father took me to see it. The Tantive IV (pretty big) being pursued by that enormous ISD was jaw-dropping. I was hooked.
- in "Terminator", the scene where Arnie is being told something (through a door). A dropdown of responses appears, and he matter-of-factly selects "Fuck you, asshole". (Other options were "Yes/No", "Or what?", "Go away", "Please come back later", and simply "Fuck you".)
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Capa's jump sequence in Sunshine and Sam Bell's call to Earth in Moon. Both of those scenes, while totally different from each other, are some of my favorites in all of film. Each is the perfect mix of plot advancement and musical score.

Then there is the scene in Terminator 2 where the defeated T-800 reroutes power to get up and continue kicking ass. Ultimate nerd boner scene.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I have two moments from Farscape.
First one where the Crichton clone shoots the Scarren Dreadnaught with a star.
Second from the climax of the Peacekeeper Wars. The wormhole weapon finally unleased is a golden scene in and of itself but the moment which most struck was when it reaches the planet, creating a massive funeral pyre worthy of D'Argo's passing.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

Lost Soal wrote:I have two moments from Farscape.
First one where the Crichton clone shoots the Scarren Dreadnaught with a star.
I have no prayer for that.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

My favourite is from Farscape as well.

When Crais and Talyn sacrifice themselves, the whole sequence leading up to that....but afterwards is even better, as the Peacekeeper ship falls apart around them. It's a perfect mix of visuals and music
http://youtu.be/aYl8AR-YNOQ
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:If we add books then,
Pfft. We're not adding books. We're just reading the OP in full and expanding beyond Star Wars and other moments that have been named five times without my boxed library that's 4 states away. :lol:
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Shit...how could I forget Firefly?
Mal wordlessly shooting Dobson in the face, then carrying on about his business as usual. It was my first experience with how Joss Whedon loves to pull the rug from under your feet and for that I adore it. Plus it's just fucking hilarious :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

Someone already mentioned the scene when major Butts flies into a back hole in the series Above and beyond.
All the while listening to Johnny Cash :D
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

nuTrek 'Into Darkness'. Uhura beams down into the Spock vs Khan brawl, and when Khan doesn't drop from her first stun hit...she just keeps firing.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

The A wing going through the window of the Executor.
Skeletor's army seizing Castle Greyskull in masters of the universe.
Borg speech and ensuing slaughter audio only on First Contact.
Opera scene battle on 5th Element.
"No... I am your father".
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Equilibrium - Dawn over Libria and John Preston tears back the plastic film covering the window and for the first time in his life feels the sun rise.
Dr Who - The Doctor is locked in a dark cell with the 'metaltron' he moves over to look at it, then that electronic heartbeat sound starts followed by "Doc-tor?" and suddenly he's screaming to be let out.
"You would make a good Dalek" Eccleston looks like you just punched him
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Batman wrote:And if we're talking books, how about 'gravitics up' and 'start rolling pods' from 'Honor among Enemies?' Yes, that was just a simulation, but we didn't know that at the time, and it was the first indicator of just how screwed you are at the receiving end of a podlayer barrage.
The one that's always stuck with me from HH (possibly because I - for various reasons - ended up reading Echoes of Honor first) is, "Admiral Yanakov to all Grayson units! The order is - Lady Harrington and no mercy!"
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Black Admiral wrote:
Batman wrote:And if we're talking books, how about 'gravitics up' and 'start rolling pods' from 'Honor among Enemies?' Yes, that was just a simulation, but we didn't know that at the time, and it was the first indicator of just how screwed you are at the receiving end of a podlayer barrage.
The one that's always stuck with me from HH (possibly because I - for various reasons - ended up reading Echoes of Honor first) is, "Admiral Yanakov to all Grayson units! The order is - Lady Harrington and no mercy!"
Likewise. Chills when I read that the first time.