Avengers Force Sub JEDI

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: Avengers Force Sub JEDI

Post by Stofsk »

The Force itself might work through shields, but TK-related powers don't seem to. Saying that they 'must' work when we never see them work, as per the examples I and Ted C gave, and concluding that Jedi must be stupid, is absurd.

Some of your examples don't seem all that relevant, like the battle meditation (Dudeguyman was saying someone would use TK to smash the tesseract, game over; not use battle meditation on it). Vader choking Ozzel, well they were both on the same ship so how would shielding be an issue here? C'baoth choking Thrawn - I can't remember this scene well, but it's EU so it's potentially inconsistent with the higher canon of the films. Same goes for the RotS novel. Qui-gon and Obi-wan didn't even try to deal with the droidekas and instead retreated.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

If I recall the ROTS novelisation correctly they didn't TK the droidekas. The Invisible Hand's malfunctioning gravity did that for them. Plus there's the obvious Ray shield example. IF they could tk through shields; bye-bye emitters, bye bye trap.
Skywalker
Redshirt

Post by Skywalker »

Dooku once force choked a subordinate from across the galaxy. Pretty sure the force has no range or barriers(other than barriers conjured by other force users). In the ROTS movie, I doubt they knew where the shield generators were.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

The Imperator wrote:Yeah, A) that idea had not been thought up yet, and B) it is stated in Dark Empire that he had never actaully done the soul thing before at that time, so he took a long time to get back. After that, he was able to quickly possess new bodies. So if this is post DE Palpatine, I can see him doing to soul thing.
Palpatine had been doing soul transfers since at least Yavin, when he executed and then resurrected Bevel Lemelisk for the whole exhaust port fiasco. By the time the New Republic executed him years later, he'd been killed and brought back so many times that his only comment was that they'd better get it right this time.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
The Imperator
Youngling

Post by The Imperator »

Darth Yoshi wrote:
The Imperator wrote:Yeah, A) that idea had not been thought up yet, and B) it is stated in Dark Empire that he had never actaully done the soul thing before at that time, so he took a long time to get back. After that, he was able to quickly possess new bodies. So if this is post DE Palpatine, I can see him doing to soul thing.
Palpatine had been doing soul transfers since at least Yavin, when he executed and then resurrected Bevel Lemelisk for the whole exhaust port fiasco. By the time the New Republic executed him years later, he'd been killed and brought back so many times that his only comment was that they'd better get it right this time.
Oh, well, I guess I learned something new today. Thanks :D
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Skywalker wrote:Dooku once force choked a subordinate from across the galaxy.
Which requires for there being shields in the way because of...?
Pretty sure the force has no range or barriers(other than barriers conjured by other force users). In the ROTS movie, I doubt they knew where the shield generators were.
Who cares where the shield generators are? In the PT every time Jedi face shielded Droideka, they run when if their TK worked through shields they could just go Droideka pinball until the damn things stop shooting. Doesn't happen. Using TK through shields is either not possible period or not practicable due to requiring too much concentration (you can either bounce around the Droideka or block their blaster bolts).
Now, in SotP Luke contemplated that he could telekinetically cripple the pirate battlecruiser, which this being a combat situation would likely have its shields up as well as Luke's fighter, so at least part of the EU seems to say that yes, Force TK works through shields, but a) he never actually did it (though I think by this time he had a pretty solid grip on what he could and couldn't do, and this actually looks pretty timid compared to stuff he did earlier in the EU) and b) it's EU, when in the PT Jedi never use TK through shields when it would have really saved their bacon any number of times (I'm tentatively inclined to include the Clone Wars cartoons in this but would have to review it for a definte opinion).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'