Sci-fi Universe comparisons

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Fluffy
Redshirt

Re: Sci-fi Universe comparisons

Post by Fluffy »

The first ones. Hmm, I thought that the Shadows where among the first ones? Could be wrong.
Shadows/Vorlons were the least of the First Ones, and the least technologically advanced. The Shadows/Vorlons don't really have a lot of additional technological innovations (well that we see anyways) over the younger races, just better weapons/durability/ECM. The other First Ones could be up to the inexplicable god-like level, but we really don't see enough of them.
Kal-el is Supermans real name.
I'm aware :D I just don't know enough about the civ.
Because to me it looks like SW 4-6 would be in your medium category while SW 1-3 belongs in your high category. Because of the "magic" in their tech. Agree / disagree?
I would disagree, they don't really gain/lose any new technologies between the trilogies.
If so what's the point? Or rather what is the motivation for placing X tech in Y category
Like I said before, this was more of an idle musing than a concrete hypothesis. I was thinking you could roughly catagorize sci-fi universes/tech levels by their "handwavium" and that "vs" arguments that compare between different levels are difficult to accurately portray.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Fluffy wrote:
Kal-el is Supermans real name.
I'm aware :D I just don't know enough about the civ.
Sorry.
Fluffy wrote:I would disagree, they don't really gain/lose any new technologies between the trilogies.
Personal shields.
Portable mega shield of the alien rastafarians.
Those mini-assassin droids.
The 'drop' shaped ship.
Communications gear.
General Grievous.
Etc.

All appears to be higher tech according to your set of 'rules'.
Fluffy
Redshirt

Post by Fluffy »

I don't really consider those "new" types of technology, they are variants of existing technological themes. Just because they don't appear in the first trilogy (er, 2nd?) doesn't mean they are not present in the universe.