Last Chancers: 13th Legion discussion & analysis thread

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Raxmei wrote:The Demolisher cannon appears to draw inspiration from the large caliber mortars used by Churchill AVREs and Sturmtigers. The latter had a caliber of 380mm. Description of the Demolisher's role also roughly matches that of the Sturmtiger.
I do believe that you, sir, are correct. I just looked up the Sturmtiger, and the aesthetic and functional similarities of the two cannons can't be coincidence (though the Demolisher is the insane upsized 40k wtfpwn version).

Also, I've always wondered what those little ports ringing the Demolisher cannon barrel were.. now I know.
++en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmtiger wrote:The design of the rocket launcher caused some problems, as the hot rocket exhaust could not be vented into the fighting compartment but neither could the barrel withstand the pressure if the gasses were not vented. Therefore a ring of ventilation shafts were put around the barrel which channelled the exhaust and gave the weapon somewhat of a pepperbox appearance.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
hobbit_breath
Redshirt

Re: Last Chancers: 13th Legion discussion & analysis thread

Post by hobbit_breath »

- The Last Chancer's Chimaeras appear to be running on diesel, but Kage mentions "vegetative processors" to allow them to run them off chopped wood. This isn't the only source I can recall mentioning diesel, but it does indicate to us (yet again) that Promethium simply isn't some modern fuel under a different name (as if its utility/energy density didn't tell us this already.)

Sounds rather like woodgas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodgas