StarGate Universe premiere 2 Oct (spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Re: StarGate Universe premiere 2 Oct (spoilers)

Post by Gramzamber »

Bilbo wrote:
NecronLord wrote:
Gramzamber wrote:It'll turn out the core was made that way by the Furlings, who will also be the big bad for Stargate Universe.

... what? It could happen.
The producers have outright said there will be no furlings.
Always wondered if that was their decision from the start or if they decided that after thinking about the name they chose and decided it was too corny to use much.

Was it ever said if the "retreat" O'Neil and Harry went to was Furling? The one where Harry went nuts from the poisoned plantlife.
The technology used to get there was Furling, I don't believe it was ever confirmed or denied if the retreat itself was run by Furlings.
Also, no Furlings ever? I am sad now. :|
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The tech was indeed furling. IIRC It's also been said the skeletons were originally supposed to be furling skeletons, indicating the species had been wiped out. But alien skeletons were too expensive to mock up. I don't exactly have a valid source on that though, I recall seeing on Gateworld forums.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Zac Naloen wrote:Jumping the gun there with the "Naturally Formed" aren't we? Nothing in that dialogue suggests that.
Quite right; my mistake.
Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

I would like to see furlings^^ Their name always make me think of something that looks like Ewoks :P
As long there is gravity, ride on...
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Lex wrote:I would like to see furlings^^ Their name always make me think of something that looks like Ewoks :P
"Furlings! Sounds cute n' furry to me." ~ Jack O'Neill
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Gramzamber wrote:
Lex wrote:I would like to see furlings^^ Their name always make me think of something that looks like Ewoks :P
"Furlings! Sounds cute n' furry to me." ~ Jack O'Neill
Jack's line to me was the absolute statement that we would never see Furlings in the show.
I KILL YOU!!!
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Themightytom wrote: Actually I think Rush cited 78 million light years towards the last third of the pilot, i remember thinking "78? oh thats not much further than Voyager...OH.. when i realized it was million, not thousand.

it could have been billion if the graphic was to scale though
Rush stated that they are "several billion lightyears" away from the milky way galaxy in Air Part 1 (about 37 min into the pilot).
Unfortunately this adds another problem with calculating the speed of the Destiny drive as we neither know how far away they are nor how long the ship has been traveling already.

The Gateworld Omnipeida states that Pegasus is 3.26 to 3.5 million lightyears away from Milky Way galaxy which is identified as either the second or third galaxy visited by Destiny (might the first be Ida, home of Asgard?)

Watching the jump into FTL again it does look like a usual hyperdrive window at first but Destiny seems not to enter the hyperspace.
  • Theory 1: Destiny class FTL is the direct predecessor to the later hyperdrive that does not enter hyperspace.
  • Theory 2: Destiny class FTL is a form of hyperdrive but more cost intensive than the Atlantis/Aurora versions. It is far bigger than the hyperdrive used by the Aurora battlecruiser. Most likely built for easy repairs and reliability instead of smaller size and/or fuel efficiency.
  • Theory 3: Destiny class FTL is an experimental drive that is supposed to replace standard hyperdrive but improvements in hyperdrive technology made it less desirable.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"