Best SciFi Movie of 2000s - Nominations

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Paradoxical
Redshirt

Re: Best SciFi Movie of 2000s - Nominations

Post by Paradoxical »

Havok wrote:Holy shit. Did you just say that Batman & Robin had a cultural impact? :lol: I think that pretty much sets up the level of intelligence that is going to be in the rest of your post.*
Of course Batman and Robin had a cultural impact. Everyone knows what a piece of shit that movie was. You could talk to 100 people and they'd give you 100 different things wrong with it.

Are you pretending cultural impact means only supposedly high quality media gets this title?
Wow, you are a fucking moron. Do you even know what a cultural impact is? Hint, it is not "makes a lot of money". Twilight has had no impact on our culture. At best it is a fad that will end up on a VH1 Remember 2009 show. And before you jump on that, having a memory of something does not equate to 'cultural impact'.
What is your definition of culture?

The Twilight series has sold millions of books, spawned a movie series, and has a very large vocal fanbase. Hell, even the town from the first book has become a sort of Mecca for Twilight fans, giving the town a nice little tourism industry.

You think Twilight hasn't had an impact on our culture?

Look I don't care for the series either. But to claim the series hasn't had an impact on our culture is just obtuse.
As for what 'best' is in the context of this list? It is what the poster likes the most. The reasons are irrelevant. Clearly that is too far beyond your comprehension to understand.
What others and myself have been hinting at is that fanboyism is likely the reason for the high number of votes for RotS.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

adam_grif wrote:
Havok wrote: Holy shit. Did you just say that Batman & Robin had a cultural impact? :lol: I think that pretty much sets up the level of intelligence that is going to be in the rest of your post.*
Not a large one, but in the same way Plan Nine From Outer Space has a cult following because of how terrible it is. Poor example in retrospect, a better one would be Ahnold films, or the recent infatuation with Chuck Norris. Cultural impact, they're icons, most of their stuff is total trash and nobody has any illusions about it.
Fucking hell. You don't know what cult means either do you? As for Arnold, he has had a cultural impact, not really his movies. Same with Norris. That still does not answer the fucking question. A movie that is not considered "best" by some metric that has had a cultural impact, name one.

Wow, you are a fucking moron. Do you even know what a cultural impact is? Hint, it is not "makes a lot of money". Twilight has had no impact on our culture. At best it is a fad that will end up on a VH1 Remember 2009 show. And before you jump on that, having a memory of something does not equate to 'cultural impact'.
What, and Revenge of the Sith has cultural impact? This is a joke right? Star Wars in general maybe, the original trilogy had a cultural impact. But RotS? More than Twilight? RotS is just another in a long line of anticipated big name movies. What is your metric for determining Cultural Impact? Ticket sales? DVD sales? Popular vote? What?
Reading comprehension is your friend numb nuts. I never said ROTS had a cultural impact. I asked you a question which you can not seem to answer.

As for what 'best' is in the context of this list? It is what the poster likes the most. The reasons are irrelevant. Clearly that is too far beyond your comprehension to understand.
Yep, I'm just too dumb, even though I already said that it's all subjective. The shocker here is that people can think RotS deserves the top spot.
No the shocker here is that you are on a board called STAR DESTROYER . NET and are shocked that people here may think it deserves the top spot in a subjective "best of" i.e. One I like the most, thread.
Eat a dick you pretentious fuck. The fact that I think Darth Maul looks cool has nothing to do with anything I am saying in this thread. P.S. It isn't the only AV I use here and none of the others are Star Wars related.

I'll leave the rest of your "I didn't like it so how can people possibly think it is great" moronic ramblings to others.

*Man, I was fucking right.
Awesome. That makes you the what? 30th person who I've got to hate me here? Maybe you folks can form a club and get me banned by popular vote or something.
Oh boo hoo, nobody agrees with you. Cry me a river.
You know what, stop making idiotic posts and maybe you will have a different experience.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Paradoxical wrote:
Havok wrote:Holy shit. Did you just say that Batman & Robin had a cultural impact? :lol: I think that pretty much sets up the level of intelligence that is going to be in the rest of your post.*
Of course Batman and Robin had a cultural impact. Everyone knows what a piece of shit that movie was. You could talk to 100 people and they'd give you 100 different things wrong with it.
Again, for retard #2, remembering that something was bad, does not equate to a cultural impact.
Are you pretending cultural impact means only supposedly high quality media gets this title?
No dipshit. I'm saying that it has to actually have a cultural impact. Star Wars, The Godfather, The Wizard Of Oz, those are movies that have had a cultural impact. It is a small list and Batman & Robin is not fucking on it. I mean, seriously.
What is your definition of culture?

The Twilight series has sold millions of books, spawned a movie series, and has a very large vocal fanbase. Hell, even the town from the first book has become a sort of Mecca for Twilight fans, giving the town a nice little tourism industry.

Look I don't care for the series either. But to claim the series hasn't had an impact on our culture is just obtuse.
Twilight is a fad, and a money maker, but it has had no more of an impact on our culture than Titanic. Having a cult following, also does not = cultural impact.
What others and myself have been hinting at is that fanboyism is likely the reason for the high number of votes for RotS.
Why hint at it. Don't be a mealy mouthed pussy, just say it if that is what you think, but of course then that would leave you in the position of backing up what you say and you can't.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

adam_grif wrote:Yep, I'm just too dumb, even though I already said that it's all subjective. The shocker here is that people can think RotS deserves the top spot.
Wow. You know, I could walk into the fantasy nominations thread right now and ask the same thing about the LotR movies because I frankly think they over hyped trash based on a pretentious set of novels excuse me classic series of literature that helped establish almost every fantasy cliche` I despise. But I don't. I already knew my tastes are slightly off from the majority of SDN (I'm not as in love with war stories for instance). And besides, you don't go around with the latin phrase for "there's no arguing matters of taste" in your signature and then troll everyone over a.... matter of taste. :roll:
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Paradoxical wrote:What others and myself have been hinting at is that fanboyism is likely the reason for the high number of votes for RotS.
Ever heard of a "hatedom?" Frankly, in my opinion (and I suspect others agree with this), most of the complaining about the Star Wars prequels comes off more like a kind of anti-fanboyism than an honest indicator of how bad they are. Ever consider that?
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
Paradoxical
Redshirt

Post by Paradoxical »

Havok wrote:
Paradoxical wrote:Of course Batman and Robin had a cultural impact. Everyone knows what a piece of shit that movie was. You could talk to 100 people and they'd give you 100 different things wrong with it.
Again, for retard #2, remembering that something was bad, does not equate to a cultural impact.
Havok wrote:
Paradoxical wrote:Are you pretending cultural impact means only supposedly high quality media gets this title?
No dipshit. I'm saying that it has to actually have a cultural impact. Star Wars, The Godfather, The Wizard Of Oz, those are movies that have had a cultural impact. It is a small list and Batman & Robin is not fucking on it. I mean, seriously.
I've never seen such a narrow definition of culture.

I'm going to throw out a definition from this site.

"The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought."

Like it or not, if it's in the public lexicon then it becomes a part of our culture. Cinema would fall under the arts category and considering the audience size of Batman & Robin the film has in some way impacted on our culture, even if it's seen as a poor film or as an example of a bad film.
Havok wrote:
Paradoxical wrote: What is your definition of culture?

Twilight is a fad, and a money maker, but it has had no more of an impact on our culture than Titanic. Having a cult following, also does not = cultural impact.
You think the highest grossing film of all time had no impact on our culture? You live in a very small world.

I should also note that Twilight has far to large a fanbase to be considered a cult following.
Havok wrote:
Paradoxical wrote: What others and myself have been hinting at is that fanboyism is likely the reason for the high number of votes for RotS.
Why hint at it. Don't be a mealy mouthed pussy, just say it if that is what you think, but of course then that would leave you in the position of backing up what you say and you can't.
I don't need to be a stupid shitcock to get my point across.

The entire argument is based upon what is culture. You need to provide your own definition.
Formless wrote:
Paradoxical wrote:What others and myself have been hinting at is that fanboyism is likely the reason for the high number of votes for RotS.
Ever heard of a "hatedom?" Frankly, in my opinion (and I suspect others agree with this), most of the complaining about the Star Wars prequels comes off more like a kind of anti-fanboyism than an honest indicator of how bad they are. Ever consider that?
I think you're trying to create a defense where none is needed.

It's a completely reasonable assumption that a Star Wars messageboard will favor Star Wars in a discussion about the best sci-fi of the decade.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Formless wrote:
I'll agree that it's enhanced by that effect, but it's not all of it.

RT reviews of OT:

http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars/
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/empire_strikes_back/
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/return_of_the_jedi/

Compare with PT:

http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_war ... om_menace/
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_war ... he_clones/
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

The worst reviewed original film, Jedi, was out-scored only by the best reviewed of the prequel trilogy, Sith. The first two OT movies blow them all out of the water. Don't take this to mean I think concensus is fact or anything like that, but these reviews came out before it was popular to hate on each film, respectively. Arguably it was never popular to hate on Sith, and with good reason - it was a descent SciFi film with a lot of things going for it.

But what I am trying to say is that there is some basis for the hate here. It's not all just jumping on the hate bandwagon. It's a combination of over-hyping and under-delivering. If these films had been some no-name franchise, but otherwise the same, they wouldn't have generated nearly as much hate, but I strongly doubt they would have garnered more positive reviews.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Actually, that doesn't really say anything towards my point. All Rotten Tomatoes does is congregate the average scores of the various movie reviewers: You don't think movie reviewers don't jump on bandwagons too? :roll:

Frankly I understand, they aren't as good as the original movies. Almost no movies are. The expectations were set too high. But taken on their own... okay, the first two are a little disappointing, but not bad, and the last one (RotS) was at least as good as ANH, which (lets not kid ourselves) was a little cheesy in its own way, for all that was good about it.

Point is, irrational hate for the prequel trilogy is the norm among a lot of fans, and I find it hard to believe that the people making these criticisms at the end of the day didn't secretly enjoy it. And as for nominating it for "best of the decade"? Frankly, how many of these sci-fi films can you be sure that ordinary people (i.e. non-sci-fi geeks) actually know about it? The fact that even with the expectations as high as they were the prequel trilogy still managed to have a widespread appeal means Gorge Lucas did something right.

I don't watch that many movies compared to a lot of people I know, but mostly because I'm selective about what I watch. When I go to the theater I make sure its a movie I'm sure will at least keep me entertained for a couple hours. Hence why memorable is my criteria for what makes a good movie: I'm sure to enjoy most movies I watch, but only the really good movies could I start quoting lines from it at you six months later. I can do that with RotS, but I've already forgotten the new Star trek movie even though it was so much more recent. If that doesn't say something about what makes a movie good, I don't know what does.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Ghetto edit:
Formless wrote:I don't watch that many movies compared to a lot of people I know, but mostly because I'm selective about what I watch. When I go to the theater I make sure its a movie I'm sure will at least keep me entertained for a couple hours. Hence why memorable is my criteria for what makes a good movie: I'm sure to enjoy most movies I watch, but only the really good movies could I start quoting lines from it at you six months later. I can do that with RotS, but I've already forgotten most of, say, the new Star trek movie even though it was so much more recent. If that doesn't say something about what makes a movie good, I don't know what does. If that doesn't indicate which one was the better of the two movies, I don't know what does.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Paradoxical wrote:
Havok wrote:
Paradoxical wrote:Of course Batman and Robin had a cultural impact. Everyone knows what a piece of shit that movie was. You could talk to 100 people and they'd give you 100 different things wrong with it.
Havok wrote:
Paradoxical wrote:Are you pretending cultural impact means only supposedly high quality media gets this title?
I've never seen such a narrow definition of culture.

I'm going to throw out a definition from this site.

"The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought."

Like it or not, if it's in the public lexicon then it becomes a part of our culture. Cinema would fall under the arts category and considering the audience size of Batman & Robin the film has in some way impacted on our culture, even if it's seen as a poor film or as an example of a bad film.
Holy... you are fucking god damned stupid! IMPACT, cultural IMPACT. I'm not talking about whether it is a part of our culture you fucking numbskull. That is a given. IMPACT. Star Wars changed the movie industry, it changed marketing, it spawned religions (joking or not), it helped bring a society out of a negative funk from a pretty shitty era, it appealed across the generational gaps and almost the entire population of the planet can recognize some imagery from it. Cultural Impact. Now are you going to sit there and continue to say that Batman and fucking Robin had a cultural impact? Because at this point I am going to say you are just fucking lying if you do.
Havok wrote:
Paradoxical wrote: What is your definition of culture?

You think the highest grossing film of all time had no impact on our culture? You live in a very small world.
Please, enlighten us as to what cultural impact Twilight THE MOVIE (don't try to weasel in the books, not that it helps) has had on us?
I should also note that Twilight has far to large a fanbase to be considered a cult following.
Havok wrote:
Paradoxical wrote: What others and myself have been hinting at is that fanboyism is likely the reason for the high number of votes for RotS.
I don't need to be a stupid shitcock to get my point across.
Maybe you should try it because nothing else is working.
The entire argument is based upon what is culture. You need to provide your own definition.
No fuck stick, the argument is NOT what is culture. It is based on a simple question. Name a movie that has had a cultural impact that is NOT considered "best" by some standard of ranking. So far you and Retard #1 have not been able to answer that out side of "Batman & Robin sucked and people remember this, so there!"
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Holy... you are fucking god damned stupid! IMPACT, cultural IMPACT. I'm not talking about whether it is a part of our culture you fucking numbskull. That is a given. IMPACT. Star Wars changed the movie industry, it changed marketing, it spawned religions (joking or not), it helped bring a society out of a negative funk from a pretty shitty era, it appealed across the generational gaps and almost the entire population of the planet can recognize some imagery from it. Cultural Impact. Now are you going to sit there and continue to say that Batman and fucking Robin had a cultural impact? Because at this point I am going to say you are just fucking lying if you do.
What is this No True Scotsman crap? It's not an impact unless it's a significant, profound impact? That unless it matches the level of impact of one of the most impactful things of all time, it doesn't count? Spawning subcultures isn't an impact? Being infamous in extremely wide circles of people isn't an impact?

And stop this "Star Wars impacted ___" stuff, we're talking about RotS, specifically. Did RotS change the way movies are made, change the movie industry, change marketing, and spawn religions? Or was that just Star Wars, generally, not RotS, specifically?

You seriously said that Titanic had no impact, and that Twilight didn't have an impact? This conversation doesn't even deserve to continue. Have you been living in a cave for the past few years? When does a highly successful franchise with multiple entries stop being a "fad"?
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

You know, I didn't even know what "Batman and Robin" was until I ran into it online via the Nostalgia Critic's review of it?

True story.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Formless wrote:You know, I didn't even know what "Batman and Robin" was until I ran into it online via the Nostalgia Critic's review of it?

True story.
Woah really?

My parents took me to see it when it was at the cinemas. Because I was a dumb kid, I enjoyed it. Then when I picked it up cheap on DVD for a nostalgia hit a few years later, I was shocked by how awful it was, and ashamed that I had once enjoyed it as a child. This was several years before Nostalgia Critic even existed.

Post Internet review craze (2008 onwards iirc) it's definitely picked up in popularity for its awfulness. The Rifftrax commentary was just icing on the cake. It's basically a classic now. The director actually apologized for making the movie, you can see it on youtube :)

Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Really. Batman, Batman Returns, TDK (which I have on DVD), all those I knew about. Batman And Robin? I bet that until the NC decided to rip it a new one, nobody really cared.
Paradoxical
Redshirt

Post by Paradoxical »

Havok wrote:Holy... you are fucking god damned stupid! IMPACT, cultural IMPACT. I'm not talking about whether it is a part of our culture you fucking numbskull. That is a given. IMPACT. Star Wars changed the movie industry, it changed marketing, it spawned religions (joking or not), it helped bring a society out of a negative funk from a pretty shitty era, it appealed across the generational gaps and almost the entire population of the planet can recognize some imagery from it. Cultural Impact.
Those would be very good points in it's favor, if we were talking about the greatest sci-fi film of the 70s. Revenge of the Sith did none of those things.

In fact those same arguments could be made without the existence of the prequel trilogy.
Now are you going to sit there and continue to say that Batman and fucking Robin had a cultural impact? Because at this point I am going to say you are just fucking lying if you do.
Yes. All popular media has an impact upon our culture.

As the definition I provided clearly stated culture is an amalgamation of all things in society. This obviously includes Batman & Robin, a large budget film that was widely released.
Please, enlighten us as to what cultural impact Twilight THE MOVIE (don't try to weasel in the books, not that it helps) has had on us?
That's funny coming from a guy who tried to weasel in the impact of the previous Star Wars films as a debate point for RotS.

It's a series that has millions of fans, sold millions of books, spawned a movie series with a combined gross of over one billion, and even spawned a religion named Cullenism.

I'm assuming you're dropping your claim that Titanic had no impact upon culture either.
Havok wrote:No fuck stick, the argument is NOT what is culture. It is based on a simple question. Name a movie that has had a cultural impact that is NOT considered "best" by some standard of ranking. So far you and Retard #1 have not been able to answer that out side of "Batman & Robin sucked and people remember this, so there!"
The entire argument revolves around the definition of culture and how media affects culture.

Provide your own definition for cultural impact or bow out of the discussion.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Formless wrote:Really. Batman, Batman Returns, TDK (which I have on DVD), all those I knew about. Batman And Robin? I bet that until the NC decided to rip it a new one, nobody really cared.
Batman Forever? Not as bad, but still awful. It was one of the highest grossing ones in the series, too.

Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

You understand that I wasn't changing the subject, right?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I liked Batman & Robin. Poison Ivy was hot, and Arnold Schwarzenegger gave a quality performance. Today Gotham... TOMORROW THE WORLD! Adam... AND EVIL! :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I liked Batman & Robin. Poison Ivy was hot, and Arnold Schwarzenegger gave a quality performance. Today Gotham... TOMORROW THE WORLD! Adam... AND EVIL! :lol:

Cool party!

It's a cold town.

IT'S WINTUH FAWEVAH HEEEEEAR IN GOTHAM!

Arnold was the very large ham to the films cheese.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Everybody CHILL!

Man, he and Poison Ivy were the best thing in that show. Just like the Riddler in Batman Forever. God bless Schumacher.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I thought Uma Thurman was hideous in that film. And it's not like she's that way in other movies. Just this one.

But yes, Arnold definitely knew what kind of movie he was in, and hammed it up accordingly. Some of the puns though. I still have nightmares.