W40K as Anime

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LadyTevar wrote:
Rubberanvil wrote: Also more importantly what is the youngest age group it can be marketed to?
In America? NC-17 I'd say.
...I wouldn't quite go that far. It could without doubt be brought down to a R rating. It is, admittedly, a pretty extreme universe; however, depending upon whoever the anime focused upon, it might not be that bad. For example, Tau would be relatively clean; Dark Eldar, on the other hand, would *guarantee* that NC-17.

This is something, I think, that would sell best as a direct-to-video/DVD release... perhaps bundled with the 4th Edition codex as a special or some such.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Elheru Aran wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
Rubberanvil wrote: Also more importantly what is the youngest age group it can be marketed to?
In America? NC-17 I'd say.
...I wouldn't quite go that far. It could without doubt be brought down to a R rating.
Hopefully GW would stick with the R or higher rating, but with them going after the Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh age group nowadays it is something of a concern.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rubberanvil wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: In America? NC-17 I'd say.
...I wouldn't quite go that far. It could without doubt be brought down to a R rating.
Hopefully GW would stick with the R or higher rating, but with them going after the Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh age group nowadays it is something of a concern.
I can't recall what the American release of GitS was rated at this time. I think it might have been R, for nudity, profanity, and violent content. :roll:

I believe 40K would also hit the profanity and violent content requirements. :wink:

As for the anime, I'd say GW should speak to the GitS Committee.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Ghost in the Shell was indeed given an R rating for the US release. I believe that in Japan, the film was probably released with only an advisory, as it came out in 1995 and Eirin (Japan's equivalent of the MPAA) only introduced their current film rating system in 1998.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

And if I didn't know better, I'd say that some of you are using tactics in order to make a hypothetical 40K anime be completely unaccessable to its very intended targeted audience: to render it unproducible...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

LadyTevar wrote:I can't recall what the American release of GitS was rated at this time. I think it might have been R, for nudity, profanity, and violent content. :roll:
The Stand Alone Complex is rated TV-14. Everything in Adult Swim is, and the only sensoring that ever happens is nudity and overt sex. Even that episode in SAC with the dude that skinned people alive was uncensored. Granted the actual skinning wasn't actually shown, but it came pretty close.
But then it also isn't something exclusive to the Japanese: there are plenty of pervert fucks in the West who do that kind of shit, too.
While looking for unrelated stuff I stumbled upon a website that had that kind of stuff (great, I can feel the nausea coming back...). Out of curiosity I decided to give it a look. 15 minutes later everything was black, and I was in the floor, shaking. One of these days I'm going to learn to change the channel/close the book/go to a different website as soon as the nausea starts, not after I've fainted.
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

LadyTevar wrote: I believe 40K would also hit the profanity and violent content requirements. :wink:
Wouldn't be 40K without them through it wouldn't be right without a couple of members of Monty Python writing some of the dialogue.
As for the anime, I'd say GW should speak to the GitS Committee.
Don't you mean http://www.productionig.com/?
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Adrian Laguna wrote:The Stand Alone Complex is rated TV-14. Everything in Adult Swim is, and the only sensoring that ever happens is nudity and overt sex.
The two episodes of 2nd GIG that have shown were both rated TV-MA. Plus there was a time or two in SAC where you could see nipples on android bodies.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

That episode of the Boondocks they aired on Sunday (and to be aired again this Saturday) contained the most blood out of any Adult Swim program they've run yet. (They removed a LOT of blood from Perrot Le Fou, for example.)
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

XaLEv wrote:The two episodes of 2nd GIG that have shown were both rated TV-MA. Plus there was a time or two in SAC where you could see nipples on android bodies.
Things have changed then. Before, everything they showed was rated TV-14 at most.
DPDarkPrimus wrote:That episode of the Boondocks they aired on Sunday (and to be aired again this Saturday) contained the most blood out of any Adult Swim program they've run yet. (They removed a LOT of blood from Perrot Le Fou, for example.)
I stand corrected, I did not know that overt violence had been censored. After seeing a list of the things that had been censored out of Blue Gender, and seeing only nudity and sex listed, I assumed that those were the only things censored in AS.