Eldar versus Clonies.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Whats the result ?

Clonestomp
34%
Eldarstomp
46%
MAD.
20%

Total votes: 41

SVPD
Jedi Master

Post by SVPD »

Matt Huang wrote:And in the situation outlined by the OP, the clones will be fighting real soldiers who actually do know what the fuck they're doing, and will use tactics with brutal effectiveness.
Which is fine, since my whole point is it can go either way.

I'm not predicting a clone victory, I'm just pointing out that clones are not a collection of low grade morons with no imagination, capacity for analysis, or self-preservation instinct.
Shit like this is why I'm kind of glad it isn't legal to go around punching people in the crotch. You'd be able to track my movement from orbit from the sheer mass of idiots I'd leave lying on the ground clutching their privates in my wake. -- Mr. Coffee
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Black Admiral wrote: Actually, engaging a farseer in hand-to-hand would probably be the best way to negate their powers, since farseers generally aren't as physically powerful as Space Marine Librarians or Inquisitors in physical combat, and fairly obviously can't draw on their more unpleasant powers if they're trying to fend off a skilled opponent in HtH.
The problem therein lies in getting close to begin with, though. I've already admitted in the past that on an individual basis an Imperial Space Marine easily outmatches a clone in terms of capabilities, and that the only way the clonetroopers win is through numbers, by long range sniping, or by assistance from heavier weaponry/vehicles. Since its safe to assume the Eldar can fight the Space Marines on an even footing, the same holds true here.

So for a Jedi to actually get close enough to fight a Farseer, they would have to fight their way through all the other Eldar, which is going to be costly in terms of life (and in reality is not feasible here.) without heavy vehicle/gunship/artillery support. And the inclusion of heavy fire support from the gunships and vehicles sort of renders the necessity to get close moot, since I doubt (for example) a Farseer could survive 100-kiloton rocket barrages (or whatever the AT-TE mass drivers or SPHA-Ts could lay down in other configurations.)

Victory for the Clone side on the ground (like with the Imperium) lies with the heavy firepower available to them in their vehicles (and in this case, heavy support from the Acclamators point defense guns.)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

While Farseers have some funky personal protection (including magic that makes shots miss them) they can be eliminated by determined snipers.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Gee, you apparently didn't grasp my point. The two (The Separatists and the Eldar) aren't even remotely identical, so there is no valid reason to be claiming that the battles will occur the same (or that the clones will fight them in the same way), contrary to what seems to be the prevailing logic in this thread.
Well, I for one have hopefully given no indication of how the Clonies are going to fight at all. I made the scenario.
Did you even READ what I posted? The Clones are in no way going to engage the Eldar the same way they did the droids - they were pursuing a fleeing enemy fighting a rearguard action. An enemy that lacked aerial support, artillery, and heavy ground vehicles (the heaviest ground vehicle I recall were the large spider droids, and the only thing qualifying as artillery were the hailfire droids.)
I am not forcing the Clones to fight one way or another apart from what is dictated by their aim. something roughly analogous to what they ahd to do in the films. Kill/capture the leadership, destroy the Eldar "facilities" underground. perhaps a bunch of witch engines or something that are generating a defensive field to stop the Clonies simply nuking the place.

Simple destruction is going to make things easier for the clones (and really wasn't in the movies anyhow) The simplest thing is to use the Acclamators to bombard them, but even barring that they can attack from a standoff distance using gunship missiles, SPHA-Ts and the AT-TE mass drivers to achieve the objective.
This is exactly what the clonies were on Genosis to do, destroy the factories, rescue the Jedi, destroy the droid army, and stop the escaping Seperatist forces, something they failed at miserably.

I repeat, I ain't dictating how they are going to fight, beyond they will not be given the boring option of an invunerable, massively powerful weapons platform to hover over the battlefield and shoot stuff.
Why? The Acclamators are just as important a part to the Clone's ability to fight as the ground/air vehicles or weapons are. They might not use full powered quad TLs indiscriminately against enemies because a GT-range blast (much less several of them) will create widespread destrtuction that can easily encompass any forces they use over probable engagement ranges. (they could always use the SPHA-Ts in their place if they needed anyhow), but there's no possible reason they can't use the lighter guns, as I already outlined to Necronlord.
Because I want to see how its thought the Clonies will do against the Eldar in a similar situation to Geonosis, attacking without heavy orbital cover, something that they rarely seem to get the full benefit of anyway.

Deal with it.
The scenario is already altered beyond what occured in the movies (as I outlined). Its deliberately one-sided to expect the clones to be exactly the same as they were in the movies and yet somehow keep things "conveniently" open ended for the Eldar. Besides which, why the fuck has noone bothered to give a more thorough breakdown of what the Eldar exactly have for those of us who don't really have any familiarity with 40K?
Is it bollocks deliberately one-sided, its no worse as a scenario against any foe than the situation they were in during the film. I expect the Clonies numbers, equipment, and so forth to be the same. Their tactics etc are up for debate, as are those of the Eldar.

As for the more thorough breakdown, my sincere and deep apologies for not finishing such a thing, which if you note I had already started, and promised more. :roll:
BTW, what's to prevent the Eldar from simply destrroying any "evidencec" and preventing it from falling into Republic hands, exactly?
An act of plot.
Don't be an idiot.

Fuck off, the simple basic fact. The Acclamators are giant, floating, invunerable weapons platforms, with defensive weaponry designed to shoot down fighters at extreme velocities. as well as dial a yield functions. Even low energy (comparably) blasts from such anti-starfighter weapons make a mockery of any viable eldar defence. an Acclamator could simply sit over each of the several exit points for eldar forces on geonosis, and gun them down as they exited.

SPHATs and LAATs can be easily destroyed by eldar offensive weaponry, the Acclamators can only be damaged through their shielding by eldar D-cannon weaponry, and even then its not going to do more than cosmetic damage to something that size.

If the Acclamators are involved, the Eldar loose, just like the Droid army might as well have committed suicide enmass if the Acclamators hadn't either refrained from firing, or shielding was in place.
never said anything about the space stuff now did I?
No, I added it because it neatly illustrates the counterpoint to Acclamators i.e. Eldar space vessels, as being useless.
My complaints dealt with the straitjacketing of the Clones in terms of resources and tactics
Strait-jacketing ? They didn't have tactical support from the Accs on geonosis, and tactics wise is pretty much a lynchpin of the debate, which I have added no constraints upon.
resources is hard to judge since there hasn't been very much done to clarify just WHAT forces the Eldar have at their disposal.). So stop whining already.
Stop bastard whining about the forces the eldar have, it isn't like nothing has been added to detail their forces.
What bullshit? I admit that they were untested troops lead by inexperienced and unfamiliar leadership whose military knowledge and tactics are questionable. Unlike everyone else, I simply fail to see why this is s upposed to be such a huge deciding factor, unless people are (ludicrously) expecting the clones to fight the Eldar in the exact same manner as they did the droids, despite the blatant differences between the two forces. Again, why should the clones be straightjacketed in certain ways and the Eldar not, since that is and has been the distinct impression I have been getting
Not talkign about their tactics at all, not a conversation I have engaged in, I refer to your hardon for tactical use of Acclamator weaponry, which I feel ends the fight in about 30 seconds.
Yet you felt no compunctions about denying the use of the Acclamators to the clones, as an example. Even though it would technically qualify as an "advantage" to them and a disadvantage to the Eldar. (So what? It sounds as if the Eldar have advantages the clones don't.)
None at all, specifically because the Clonies have fought in such a situation before, and because Acclamators end the fight unless I add Eldar heavy support in the form of giant anti-starship D-cannons or something.

I don't want to see how people think the Clonies do against an enemy unable to leave its premises for fear of getting annhilated by weaponry beyond their emans to repel and reply to.
Are you done throwing a tantrum yet?
Are you done whining about the Clonies not doing as well as you seem to need them to without a giant starship to back em up ?
The clones took very acceptable casulaty rates. The only bodies piling up were droids. I wouldn't advance into 30 people firing assault rifles, but I am also not part of a huge army equipped with weapons that can easily hit those people while we advance
Republic Commando:Hard Contact gives casualty numbers for the Battle of Geonosis.

1200 serious injuries
8000 walking wounded
72000 combat fit troops.

something like 100000 casualties.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

white_rabbit wrote: I am not forcing the Clones to fight one way or another apart from what is dictated by their aim. something roughly analogous to what they ahd to do in the films. Kill/capture the leadership, destroy the Eldar "facilities" underground. perhaps a bunch of witch engines or something that are generating a defensive field to stop the Clonies simply nuking the place.
ITs a moot point anyhow, since as far as I can tell in AOTC, those particular Acclamators didn't have the quad turbolasers mounted (that I could see.) So they can only use the light laser canons anyhow.
This is exactly what the clonies were on Genosis to do, destroy the factories, rescue the Jedi, destroy the droid army, and stop the escaping Seperatist forces, something they failed at miserably.
Capturing the factories, I don't recall anything about destroying them. And they only failed some of the tasks (capturing the Separatists, preventing ships from escaping, etc.) They saved the Jedi, captured the planet, and defeated the droid army sent against them.
I repeat, I ain't dictating how they are going to fight, beyond they will not be given the boring option of an invunerable, massively powerful weapons platform to hover over the battlefield and shoot stuff.
Then you'd better dispose of the anti-ship SPHA-Ts as well, since firepower wise they're not that far off in terms of capability.
Because I want to see how its thought the Clonies will do against the Eldar in a similar situation to Geonosis, attacking without heavy orbital cover, something that they rarely seem to get the full benefit of anyway.

Deal with it.
They don't need to be in orbit to use the lighter guns.
Is it bollocks deliberately one-sided, its no worse as a scenario against any foe than the situation they were in during the film. I expect the Clonies numbers, equipment, and so forth to be the same. Their tactics etc are up for debate, as are those of the Eldar.
I don't mind the equipment being the same as much as the tactics.
As for the more thorough breakdown, my sincere and deep apologies for not finishing such a thing, which if you note I had already started, and promised more. :roll:
Fine, apologies.
Fuck off, the simple basic fact. The Acclamators are giant, floating, invunerable weapons platforms, with defensive weaponry designed to shoot down fighters at extreme velocities. as well as dial a yield functions. Even low energy (comparably) blasts from such anti-starfighter weapons make a mockery of any viable eldar defence. an Acclamator could simply sit over each of the several exit points for eldar forces on geonosis, and gun them down as they exited.
They don't have shielding that can shrug off megaton-level attacks? I thought there were vehicles in WH40K that carried scaled down capital ship weaponry. (and if thats the case then they're probably no match for the firepower an SPHa-T or gunship can carry either.)
SPHATs and LAATs can be easily destroyed by eldar offensive weaponry, the Acclamators can only be damaged through their shielding by eldar D-cannon weaponry, and even then its not going to do more than cosmetic damage to something that size.
Not knowing anything about D-cannons I'll have to take your word on that. But you do realize that even without the light guns, ,the Acclamators still have shielding they can deploy to protect those forces, right?
If the Acclamators are involved, the Eldar loose, just like the Droid army might as well have committed suicide enmass if the Acclamators hadn't either refrained from firing, or shielding was in place.
No they wouldn't have, since the Acclamators were busy providing power to the SPHA-Ts that were in the process of shooting down the Separatist ships attempting to escape.
No, I added it because it neatly illustrates the counterpoint to Acclamators i.e. Eldar space vessels, as being useless.
Acclamators suck as warships anyhow. And as I mentioned they lack the Quad turbolasers as it is.
Strait-jacketing ? They didn't have tactical support from the Accs on geonosis, and tactics wise is pretty much a lynchpin of the debate, which I have added no constraints upon.
The Acclamators were recharging the SPHA-Ts firing on warships, given that SPHA-Ts cannot possibly mount reactors that could power them (and the ITW: AOTC book makes mention of them being recharged.) And given that, there isn't much power leftover to be using the lighter guns.
Not talkign about their tactics at all, not a conversation I have engaged in, I refer to your hardon for tactical use of Acclamator weaponry, which I feel ends the fight in about 30 seconds.
Depends on the yields they are used at. Even a low megaton range yield can be a threat to their own forces. (a restriction which will apply to the other possible forms of weaponry they may use as well, including gunship missiles.) Besides which, the ability to target starfighters does not neccesarily translate into the ability to target ground vehicles or peronnel, and indiscriminate firing is a no no (for the very same reason that capital ship broadsides in the atmosphere were a no no.) Using the light laser cannons could very well require other clone forces to act as spotters
None at all, specifically because the Clonies have fought in such a situation before, and because Acclamators end the fight unless I add Eldar heavy support in the form of giant anti-starship D-cannons or something.
Which you probably should do anyhow, given the SPHA-Ts, unless you prefer to eliminate that capability from them as well (they aren't going to be shooting down enemy starships after all. The other configurations would probably be more useful anyhow.)
I don't want to see how people think the Clonies do against an enemy unable to leave its premises for fear of getting annhilated by weaponry beyond their emans to repel and reply to.
Gunship missiles and weaponry can do that just as well (so can SPHA-T bombardment.)
Are you done whining about the Clonies not doing as well as you seem to need them to without a giant starship to back em up ?
What makes you think the starships weren't backing them up at Geonosis? Even disregarding the lighter guns (which can be done and not make a major difference to the clones firepower wise)
there's still the shielding and sensor capabilities, which will still help them.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

ITs a moot point anyhow, since as far as I can tell in AOTC, those particular Acclamators didn't have the quad turbolasers mounted (that I could see.) So they can only use the light laser canons anyhow.
Weird, I wonder what craft were used to engage the fleet in orbit. Acclamators fitted out for ship-ship combat ?

Capturing the factories, I don't recall anything about destroying them. And they only failed some of the tasks (capturing the Separatists, preventing ships from escaping, etc.) They saved the Jedi, captured the planet, and defeated the droid army sent against them.
IIRC, ITW tells us that most of the seperatist gear got off planet, and the republic commando novel tells us the Clonies took over 50% casualties to do what they did.

[/quote]Then you'd better dispose of the anti-ship SPHA-Ts as well, since firepower wise they're not that far off in terms of capability.

Doesn't saxtons page infer that they are more powerful than the entire weapons array of a Turbolaser equipped Acclamator ?

Regardless, from an Eldar perspective I'm not too bothered about the SPHA-Ts, because unlike the Accs, the Eldar can actually make some reply.
They don't need to be in orbit to use the lighter guns.

I use the term orbital as regards to the Acclamators in any situation.
I don't mind the equipment being the same as much as the tactics

Myself, I had kinda hoped "tactics" would be the larger portion of the debate. Although, I have to wonder if there wouldn't be similarities at least to their approach.

They are actually trained, when led by jedi, to follow their lead, i.e. formations protected by jedi, with armour.
They don't have shielding that can shrug off megaton-level attacks? I thought there were vehicles in WH40K that carried scaled down capital ship weaponry. (and if thats the case then they're probably no match for the firepower an SPHa-T or gunship can carry either.)

Eldar heavy tanks ? its doubtful they can shrug off megaton level attacks with their shielding, similarly the atmospheric fighters etc.

I don't feel as though this is exactly different to the SW gear either ;)

Eldar Titans depend more upon agility and powerful sensor disruption gear, as do the tanks and fighters.

Imperium/chaos/orks go for armour and multiple void shields
Tyranids go for hyper-regen, agility and numbers.
Not knowing anything about D-cannons I'll have to take your word on that. But you do realize that even without the light guns, ,the Acclamators still have shielding they can deploy to protect those forces, right?

I did post a little on d-cannons earlier, they are Eldar weapons that employ warp-rift tech. basically a warp rift is opened up where the gun "shoots" They are used as Anti-titan guns by the Eldar, they bypass every shielding technology in the 40k universe background currently, and rip giant sections away into the warp.

deployed on either titans, grav-tanks, or IIRC semi-mobile platforms, a bit like towed artillery.

Question on the shielding, is this going to be a ray or particle shield, and do we know that the Acclamators can provide such a shield umbrella, their shielding is probably similar to other vessels of its style, and while not completely hull-hugging, certainly not extended as far beyond its hull. as it would need to be to be useful.

It would also require some sort of syncronised shield removal to permit the LAATs to fly through it, Sphats to fire through it, etc etc.

I think deployment of shields would be bad for the Clonies, tying them to a shielded area, plus its not even guaranteed as far as I know that the Accs can do such a thing.

No they wouldn't have, since the Acclamators were busy providing power to the SPHA-Ts that were in the process of shooting down the Separatist ships attempting to escape.....The Acclamators were recharging the SPHA-Ts firing on warships, given that SPHA-Ts cannot possibly mount reactors that could power them (and the ITW: AOTC book makes mention of them being recharged.) And given that, there isn't much power leftover to be using the lighter guns.

*shrug* It looks to me then our point is moot. The Accs provide tactical sensor support and a base.
Which you probably should do anyhow, given the SPHA-Ts, unless you prefer to eliminate that capability from them as well (they aren't going to be shooting down enemy starships after all. The other configurations would probably be more useful anyhow.)

Those Mass-driver SPHAs might be a more useful pic. Besides, the Eldar forces I have listed already include the eldar analogues to Sphats.. i.e. heavy mobile gun platforms, as you will have read earlier, there are 25 D-cannon toting Cobras.
Gunship missiles and weaponry can do that just as well (so can SPHA-T bombardment.)

the above has the difference of being very visible targets for eminently capable Eldar counter-fire, as well as having to contend with eldar visual and sensor spoofing tech.

As opposed to the first eldar to leave the underground facilities simply getting annihilated by a megaton rated gun of doom.
there's still the shielding and sensor capabilities, which will still help them.

Yep, and I don't have a problem with that.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

jesus, I fucked that formatting up.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

D-cannons carve a nice little chunk of realspace into the warp, and basically destroy everything within the affected area, regardless of shields. No yield calcs, since those would be dependant on what you were firing at, just everything within so-and-so radius is gone.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

white_rabbit wrote: Weird, I wonder what craft were used to engage the fleet in orbit. Acclamators fitted out for ship-ship combat ?
other naval warships presumbly. The Republic does have a Navy of sorts, its just not equipped with the sorts of ships we see until ROTS or the Empire era.
IIRC, ITW tells us that most of the seperatist gear got off planet, and the republic commando novel tells us the Clonies took over 50% casualties to do what they did.
But they captured the planet , its factories, and rescued the remaining Jedi as well. And Senator Amidala. And that's really only the ground battle. And while most of the Separatist ships DID get off the planet, (about half the Techno union ships, nearly all of the Commerce Guild ships, and maybe 3/4 the core ships escaped) they ran into the blockade aruond the planet (which the Republic was, according to the novel, winning. In fact, many of the Tradefed battleships and such were deprived of Core ships, which might have left them virttually defenseless.)

And for about 100,000 casualties (not including vehicles), they destroyed over 1.1 million droids on the ground, plus however many were also destroyed in the ships (millions more.)
Doesn't saxtons page infer that they are more powerful than the entire weapons array of a Turbolaser equipped Acclamator ?
Equal to or greater than the power output of the Acclamator in fact. Enough firepower ot overwhelm the shields on the Core ships (at least in the e23 watt range.).
And even if we argued that the shields were down (which some have, despite the evidence.) there's still the whole armor/heat sink issue (which could easily put the SPHA-T firepower at megaton-gigaton range, sincee the Core ship fall itself was at least a kiloton-megaton range event energy.)
Regardless, from an Eldar perspective I'm not too bothered about the SPHA-Ts, because unlike the Accs, the Eldar can actually make some reply.
Unless the SPHA-Ts remain fairly close to the acclamators (which they can.) It will also depend on the range. They can only threaten the SPHA-Ts if they can get into range (and the SPHA-Ts were heavily defended in the battle, IIRC ITW correctly.)

Besides which, I thought the Eldar had some hologram/illusion/cloaking technology that made them hard to hit? If they do then that will likely apply to the Acclamators, won't it?
I use the term orbital as regards to the Acclamators in any situation.
Its not even remotely the same. On the ground, line of sight limitations become more severe than in orbit. And there is still the detection issue.
Myself, I had kinda hoped "tactics" would be the larger portion of the debate. Although, I have to wonder if there wouldn't be similarities at least to their approach.

They are actually trained, when led by jedi, to follow their lead, i.e. formations protected by jedi, with armour.
Against an army of droids who are being influenced by jamming (which is mentioned in the novel and ITW as a problem, IIRC), and lacks any air support and almost entirely lacks heavy armor and artillery (the closest to artillery they have are some fixed anti-air laser cannons and the hailfires, whose missile range is less than a kilometer.) This again begs the quesiton of whether the Jedi (and the clones) would actually charge an enemy that has a fortified position, possesses air support and heavy vehicles and (presumably) artillery. Unless the Eldar are going to run straight at the clones like the battle droids did (which I doubt, nor would I assume that they would do, since that would be stupid of them.)
Eldar heavy tanks ? its doubtful they can shrug off megaton level attacks with their shielding, similarly the atmospheric fighters etc.
They're the defending force in an entrenched position. I presume they have static installations that can have shielding or project theatre shielding for protection purposes, just as the Acclamators can.

Wasn't that what the whole "Geonosis being a Maiden world" meant? That (for the debate) it was assumed Geonosis was Eldar territory?
Eldar Titans depend more upon agility and powerful sensor disruption gear, as do the tanks and fighters.
How powerful are the titans?
Imperium/chaos/orks go for armour and multiple void shields
Tyranids go for hyper-regen, agility and numbers.
I see.

[/quote]
I did post a little on d-cannons earlier, they are Eldar weapons that employ warp-rift tech. basically a warp rift is opened up where the gun "shoots" They are used as Anti-titan guns by the Eldar, they bypass every shielding technology in the 40k universe background currently, and rip giant sections away into the warp.
[/quote]

Unless physical objects or force fields in general can block them, then there's only a very faint possibility that the Acclamators shielding can stop them. And I don't see the Eldar NOt using such a weapon if they could (barring LOS limitations.) Arguably the D-cannons would be fixed installations, correct? This would mean that there are limits on how close the Acclamators can get (if they get into line of sight - ie over the horizon, then they'll probably risk getting hit.) I don't see this as being unfair neccesarily.
deployed on either titans, grav-tanks, or IIRC semi-mobile platforms, a bit like towed artillery.
I'm assuming they're beam weapons like the SPHA-Ts, and thus would have line of sight limitations.
Question on the shielding, is this going to be a ray or particle shield, and do we know that the Acclamators can provide such a shield umbrella, their shielding is probably similar to other vessels of its style, and while not completely hull-hugging, certainly not extended as far beyond its hull. as it would need to be to be useful.
Shielding has been demonstrated to be "dynamic" it can be extended or projected over distances ( up to several ship lengths away) and can be redefined to encompass other targets (IE the DS2 over Endor's moon.)
It would also require some sort of syncronised shield removal to permit the LAATs to fly through it, Sphats to fire through it, etc etc.
Since they coordinate activities with the Acclamators as a matter of course, I don't see it being a problem.
I think deployment of shields would be bad for the Clonies, tying them to a shielded area, plus its not even guaranteed as far as I know that the Accs can do such a thing.
They can't take territory while under shield influence and they can only attack what comes into range, but barring D-cannon assault (which I wouldn't rule out) they can almost certainly survive any bombardment.

Gunships wouldn't be likely to hide behind them, since repulsors don't interact with shields well (they can presumably fly under it, but not into or out of them.)
But gunships are shielded anyhow (according to the novelization.)

[/quote]
*shrug* It looks to me then our point is moot. The Accs provide tactical sensor support and a base.[/quote]

And shielding, and gunnery support (if its within range of the target, and it can detect the target.) As I said, precision fire is okay, indiscriminate fire is a no-no.
Those Mass-driver SPHAs might be a more useful pic. Besides, the Eldar forces I have listed already include the eldar analogues to Sphats.. i.e. heavy mobile gun platforms, as you will have read earlier, there are 25 D-cannon toting Cobras.
They probably can alter the configurations as they need to, as long as there is an Acclamator handy.
the above has the difference of being very visible targets for eminently capable Eldar counter-fire, as well as having to contend with eldar visual and sensor spoofing tech.

As opposed to the first eldar to leave the underground facilities simply getting annihilated by a megaton rated gun of doom.
SPHA-Ts will qualify as "megaton rated guns o' doom" as well anyhow. Or there are kiloton-megaton ranged missiles (which gunships, properly-configured SPHA's, and possibly AT-TEs) can fire from behind the horizon. If they're close enough to be in range fo the Acclamators, they'd be in range of the SPHA-Ts, gunships, etc. Besides, if the Acclamators float above the battlefield, they can't really offer shield support, and they can't support or guard the SPHA's - or recharge them.

And visual/sensor spoofing tech (except perhaps for subspace/tachyonic sensors, but I don't know if those can be used in t his situation) would apply to the Acclacmtor's gunnery as well (which is one of the reasons I mentioned the neccessity of "spotting".)
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Unless the SPHA-Ts remain fairly close to the acclamators (which they can.) It will also depend on the range. They can only threaten the SPHA-Ts if they can get into range (and the SPHA-Ts were heavily defended in the battle, IIRC ITW correctly.)
As an Eldar commander, I would be deploying fast movers against the SPHATs, jetbikes and medium Grav-tanks, the sphats are very unwieldy weapon platforms, and while they are probably guarenteed of a kill on most things, I don't think the Turbolaser varient is much cop against a mobile army.
Besides which, I thought the Eldar had some hologram/illusion/cloaking technology that made them hard to hit? If they do then that will likely apply to the Acclamators, won't it?
*shrug*
Its not even remotely the same. On the ground, line of sight limitations become more severe than in orbit. And there is still the detection issue.
I'm thinking more of a "grade" of firepower than its specific limitations due to location.
They're the defending force in an entrenched position. I presume they have static installations that can have shielding or project theatre shielding for protection purposes, just as the Acclamators can.
Its very rare the eldar actually defend a fixed location in numbers, normally they are attacking. Any eldar defence is likely to take the form of an extremely aggressive and mobile offensive.
Wasn't that what the whole "Geonosis being a Maiden world" meant? That (for the debate) it was assumed Geonosis was Eldar territory?
the maiden world bit was simply a throwaway hook for the eldar to be there man. maiden worlds tend to be abandoned eldar worlds, just left to grow as garden planets, sometimes they get defiled etc.
How powerful are the titans?
The smallest titans are about 20 metres tall, and are ridiculously agile things with jump-packs. they have high end 40k Anti-armour lasers, and rapid fire light-anti-armour missile launchers. I suspect getting stepped on by one would suck as well. The eldar use them to probe for weak points in enemy formations

Next size up are just a bigger version, with anti-titan lasers etc.
Warlocks are psyker-titans, powerful titan grade guns, undefined precognitive abilities, usual Eldar stealth, can use a nifty psychic gun that kills and is used to send enemy formations into disarray, mentally fucking with them. Eldar titans can move about as fast as their grav-tanks can on the ground, and are agile enough (probably due to copious use of anti-grav/jump pack technology) that they have similar firing arcs to turret mounted weaponry) Speed, we are talking a max combat speed of 80kph plus, max speed of 100+
And I don't see the Eldar NOt using such a weapon if they could (barring LOS limitations.) Arguably the D-cannons would be fixed installations, correct? This would mean that there are limits on how close the Acclamators can get (if they get into line of sight - ie over the horizon, then they'll probably risk getting hit.) I don't see this as being unfair neccesarily
Well, I see a compromise here, Tactical use of light acclamator weaponry, and heavy LOS D-cannon arrays in fixed positions. Giving use a no-mans land so to speak, similar to the film, where each side strikes out from. Although as I say, the eldar do deploy tank mounted D-cannons.
I'm assuming they're beam weapons like the SPHA-Ts, and thus would have line of sight limitations.
Yep.
Shielding has been demonstrated to be "dynamic" it can be extended or projected over distances ( up to several ship lengths away) and can be redefined to encompass other targets (IE the DS2 over Endor's moon.)
Are we talking about actual ships here, or just the deathstar ?
They can't take territory while under shield influence and they can only attack what comes into range, but barring D-cannon assault (which I wouldn't rule out) they can almost certainly survive any bombardment.
I think clustering together, even under the guns and shield of an Acc could only go badly for them against the eldar. and it doesn't get em real far :D
They probably can alter the configurations as they need to, as long as there is an Acclamator handy.
*shrug*
SPHA-Ts will qualify as "megaton rated guns o' doom" as well anyhow. Or there are kiloton-megaton ranged missiles (which gunships, properly-configured SPHA's, and possibly AT-TEs) can fire from behind the horizon
Yeah, but they are Slow ass tissue paper guns of doom, In a similar vein the LAATs are by no means vunerable, and their over the horizon shots do depend on targetting info from the Accs, as you say, Eldar stealth is going to be an issue.

Communications wise, the eldar use psychic technology, which is usually a neat cop-out for the comms jamming issue.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

white_rabbit wrote:Are we talking about actual ships here, or just the deathstar ?
Darksaber has Daala expanding the shields on an ISD to cover another one.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Black Admiral wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:Are we talking about actual ships here, or just the deathstar ?
Darksaber has Daala expanding the shields on an ISD to cover another one.
In X-wing: Rogue Squadron, Corran's rear shielding extended about 20 meters away from the ship (nearly 2 full ship lengths away.)

In Courtship of Princess Leia, the shields were approximately 50 meters away frfom the front of hte Falcon (again, nearly 2 ship lengths away, at least going by the EU length for the Falcon)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

white_rabbit wrote: As an Eldar commander, I would be deploying fast movers against the SPHATs, jetbikes and medium Grav-tanks, the sphats are very unwieldy weapon platforms, and while they are probably guarenteed of a kill on most things, I don't think the Turbolaser varient is much cop against a mobile army.
Thats why they protected the SPHA-Ts though (with AT-TEs, troopers, etc.)

As for the effect of the turbolaser variant, depends on the fire arc and range of the beam. At least as good as (if not better) than the AT-AT I'd say, and it probably can hit ground targets (composite-beam weapons have pretty good off-axis firing capabilities.)
I'm thinking more of a "grade" of firepower than its specific limitations due to location.
Its the same grade of firepower available to SPHA-Ts and/or gunships, at the very least..
Its very rare the eldar actually defend a fixed location in numbers, normally they are attacking. Any eldar defence is likely to take the form of an extremely aggressive and mobile offensive.
But they do have fixed defenses (and presumably shielding/defense against megaton range attacks) - which means at the very least they have something to retreat into (if not several such places, if its their frigging planet.) Even if they don't sit tight defensively. They still have that warp gate thingy right? That would at least give them the ability to dictate ranges (and range is one of hte few potential advantages the Clones have in this situation, the others including their potential firepower and the acclamators shielding.)

How doies this warp gate thingy work? What are its limitations?

Besides, there's still the detection issue and the D-cannon issue up in the air.
the maiden world bit was simply a throwaway hook for the eldar to be there man. maiden worlds tend to be abandoned eldar worlds, just left to grow as garden planets, sometimes they get defiled etc.
But its Eldar territory, correct? If they "abandoned" it they had to have lived there to begin with.
The smallest titans are about 20 metres tall, and are ridiculously agile things with jump-packs. they have high end 40k Anti-armour lasers, and rapid fire light-anti-armour missile launchers. I suspect getting stepped on by one would suck as well. The eldar use them to probe for weak points in enemy formations
A giant robot in other words. I was curious more in terms of range and firepower wise. Kiloton range? megaton range? Stuff like that.
Next size up are just a bigger version, with anti-titan lasers etc.
Warlocks are psyker-titans, powerful titan grade guns, undefined precognitive abilities, usual Eldar stealth, can use a nifty psychic gun that kills and is used to send enemy formations into disarray, mentally fucking with them.
Effective range? How large an area/formation can it affect? How severe effects are we talking (disorinetation? Insanity? Hallucinations? Outright mind control?)
Eldar titans can move about as fast as their grav-tanks can on the ground, and are agile enough (probably due to copious use of anti-grav/jump pack technology) that they have similar firing arcs to turret mounted weaponry) Speed, we are talking a max combat speed of 80kph plus, max speed of 100+
They must leave some pretty big craters in the ground when they step at that speed.
Well, I see a compromise here, Tactical use of light acclamator weaponry, and heavy LOS D-cannon arrays in fixed positions. Giving use a no-mans land so to speak, similar to the film, where each side strikes out from. Although as I say, the eldar do deploy tank mounted D-cannons.
I figured the heavy D-cannons would act as deterrent from Acclamators from getting too close (unless they wqant to risk getting hit.) or lifting too high up into the air. As for the tank mounted, I see no problem with them being able to attack an Acclamator if they can get close enough (I doubt a single tank mounted D-cannon, even if shields can't block 'interdimensional' attacks, would kill an Acclmator in a few hits.)

As for weapons use - no indiscriminate fire on ground-based targets (or targets close to the ground.) precision fire is okay (if they can reasonably expect a hit - again like with the SPHA-Ts or gunships attacking capital ships.) Same with airborne targets (although indiscriminate fire is less of a threat because misses will probably simply pass out into space if the targget is up high enough. Again SPHA-T example of firing "up" into Core ship.)

I could possibly argue that its possible for shields to block "interdimensional" attacks (Force storms..) but its a rather weak defense and I don't really want to make it right now. And its not crucial ot the overall arggument (The D-cannons will leave the acclamators alone as long as the Acclamators leave them alone. Its just nice to know they're both there, really.)
Are we talking about actual ships here, or just the deathstar ?
See my other posts (and Black Admirals). We're talking ships too. The Death STar was just a canon example (the only differencee between planetary shielding and capital ship shielding is a matter of scale and complexity, like with most SW technology like turbolasers and superlasers, ion engines, or hypermatter reactors.)

I think clustering together, even under the guns and shield of an Acc could only go badly for them against the eldar. and it doesn't get em real far :D
True, but the option is still there. An Acclamator/SPHA-T formation under the ship's shields might make a tempting target to lure the Eldar into an ambush (for example, possibly having gunships sweep in from behind and rake them)
Yeah, but they are Slow ass tissue paper guns of doom, In a similar vein the LAATs are by no means vunerable, and their over the horizon shots do depend on targetting info from the Accs, as you say, Eldar stealth is going to be an issue.
Movement wise they're slow yes (because they're frigging huge), but they compensate by having very powerful and long-ranged weapons. Rate of fire-wise, depends on the weapon equipped and/or the power rating (a laser cannon at a lower setting could fire fairly rapidly.)
Communications wise, the eldar use psychic technology, which is usually a neat cop-out for the comms jamming issue.
Well, that's their advantage. Do they have comm jamming technology? Of course, they may not be able to jam standard comms (which *are* lightspeed, but aren't photons/lasers the same way TLs aren't "real" lasers. In fact comm signals and TLs seem to be related - you can modify a laser rifle or laser cannon in such a way as to send comm signals. And you can use them for targeting purposes too. Though note I only say *may not* be able to, not that they won't be able to.)
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Maiden worlds were slated for long term terraforming when the Eldar civilization collapsed. Some of them were inhabited, some of them weren't.

Titan fire power is low megatons at most, kilotons definitely.

Eldar Titans use jump jets and anti-grav to be comparitively graceful. And 20 meters is short by Titan standards.

40K psi weapons are devestating. I don't know too much about psi titans, but some kind of area of effect brain fry blast is doable by psykers without augmentation by psi weapons. Alpha plus rated psykers (near the top of the psychic firepower pile) can wipe out small armies single handidly without using psi weapon augmentation. Of course, so can an ordinary titan.

Star Wars has the edge in terms of star ship firepower. 40K isn't so comparitively week that it's an automatic no contest, but the 200 GT turbolasers on the Acclamator are very heavy hitters by 40K standards.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.