Sci-Fi's The Expanse (spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: Sci-Fi's The Expanse (spoilers)

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
I dont know, I think what comes across in the show might itself be better more vibrant characterization, but I think he comes off with a somewhat different personality. Maybe it is just because I have seen his behavior across several books

As do I. Unlike in the books, you start to see some of the reasons Amos is like he is in the first season of the show. The books give Amos depth with basically an exposition dump. To be fair, one of the advantages of TV is that you can have the actor hint at things, allowing more subtlety and nuance and with cast this good they can carry that weight. Having Amos noticing and carrying about how the brothel staff are treated by the establishment and showing empathy toward them tells us a lot about the man and humanizes him while hinting at his backstory without directly telling us.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Remember that Amos' soft spot for kids was sort of hinted at in LW, and we saw that on Eros, but really came into focus in CW. They're building Amos up with a lot of later stage characterization, but the kid thing will probably drop as expected.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

http://www.danielabraham.com/2016/04/14 ... ie-draper/

This link might contain minor spoilers for Season 2 if you're not a book reader. But, they cast Bobbie Draper, a Martian Special Forces Marine who plays a major role in the second book. And they got her completely, 100%, to the T. The character is a towering 2 meter tall Samoan with an imposing physical presence and striking beauty. I never thought they'd get such perfect casting. If she has the range that Abraham seems to think, she will absolutely be their motherfucking unicorn.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I suspect that like Chrisjen Avasarala she will get an early role.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

After finally having a chance to binge watch the first season, I was pleasantly surprised by the good quality of this show, though I suspect being based on a book series had something to do with it. I admit I had never heard of the books before, but after this my interest has been piqued.

Of course, given the nature of this site, I'm also sort of interested in how The Expanse universe matches up against some of others in classic vs. debating, which book readers might have a better understanding about. A seemingly harder adherence to physics and lack of FTL would put them at a severe disadvantage against most space operas, but what about something like Firefly or Gundam?
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Firefly seems to have a vastly larger star system that was almost entirely terraformed, with the far more impressive feat of helioforming gas giants into stars. It also seems to have instantaneous comms and reasonably fast travel between the larger solar system.

In The Expanse, they have still yet to terraform Mars and traveling between the asteroid belt and Earth seems a major undertaking. We also see no evidence that someone of Malcolm Reynolds' status could afford a ship in The Expanse. Holden only gets his by accident.

As a side note, one thing that rather bothers me in The Expanse is how they use ice from comets to power their industry yet the sea level on Earth has risen. Isn't there a logical problem with that?
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Adam Reynolds wrote:As a side note, one thing that rather bothers me in The Expanse is how they use ice from comets to power their industry yet the sea level on Earth has risen. Isn't there a logical problem with that?
Its probably far harder to ship water from a gravity well then it is to snag comets. The fuel that would be required to put enough water into orbit to matter would no doubt be prohibitively expensive. I don't they have the tech to build any "workarounds" like space elevators (or in this case space pumps) to get stuff off the ground without strapping a rocket to it. Even if the tech exists to ship water from Earth in large quantities they might not do so for political reasons, Earth doesn't seem to have the best relationship with Mars or the Belt.

But besides all that it shows the difference between the Earthers and the Marszoids and Belters. Earth has so much water its literally drowning in it, the dreams of the Martians is to have oceans, and the Belters are having to heavily ration water.