Battle: Los Angeles trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Re: Battle: Los Angeles trailer

Post by Metahive »

Not all that much new fodder for speculation, save the "we can't let Los Angeles fall" line at the end. I'm going forward and say that this is because they're developing the gimmick there that will allow humanity to defeat the aliens in one epic battle the end. I really hope the movie will prove me wrong because that would be lame as shit and just yet another retread of WotW/Independence Day.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

Given that the plot is:
Spoiler
Marines evacing as many civilians from the city as possible before they (AF?) bomb the shit out of it somehow.
I find the possibility of a deus ex machina highly unlikely. "We can't Los Angeles fall" because it appears to be the main West US Coast beachhead, a situation that may be repeated or fail miserably in what appear to be a dozen other locations. It goes well with the modern war movie theme they've got going.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I find it quite bothersome to think that aliens capable of casual interstellar flight have to even make use of beachheads on the ground. They already got the ultimate untouchable beachhead, Earth's orbit. From there can attack anywhere they want anytime they want and mankind can't do shit against it, capturing individual cities shouldn't be of high importance for them, unless there's something specific they want to have in there. If it's really just the water they want and they have about the same moral values as the average anti-Na'vi milwanker they should just rain death and destruction down upon humanity until we give up and hand the planet over.
Maybe those aliens are somewhat moral for a change?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

spartasman
Padawan Learner
Location: Parachuting with murderers into the Hollywood Hills

Post by spartasman »

maybe it will turn out to be some sort of environmental thing "We can't use this planets water while the primitive inhabitants keep polluting it", so they decide to deal with us before taking our water.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Samuel Clemens
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Yeah, maybe humanity goes the Paul Atreides route and threatens to poison all oceans in case the aliens don't fuck off and Los Angeles is the site of a major poison deposit or something. That would explain why they attempt a cumbersome land invasion instead of just blowing the whole place up, they can't risk the poison from being released.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If you think that's actually 'better', you're a fucking moron. Yeah, travelling interstellar differences and using a land invasion is stupid, but travelling interstellar distances and NOT KNOWING HOW TO BOIL WATER is totally hard-scifi milwank approved. :lol:
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

If they even knew that much about water they wouldn't come all the way to Earth to fetch it in the first place and if its's Lebensraum they're after then they're SOL, so kindly fuck off.

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

It could simply be that they don't have the resources available to change their initial beachhead target to somewhere less difficult to take without putting the entire operation at risk (in which case, the boysquids in Alien Military Intelligence really screwed up)
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Metahive wrote:If they even knew that much about water they wouldn't come all the way to Earth to fetch it in the first place and if its's Lebensraum they're after then they're SOL, so kindly fuck off.
So ... do you think your suggestion is 'better' or not? 'Know that much about water'? Are you for real? They're invading a whole planet for it and you think they don't know how to work with it? :lol:
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

If they knew water had different aggregates they'd harvest it from any of the non-populated places in the solar system where it's abundantly available as ice, there would be no need for them to invade Earth which has all those warlike apes on it for it. Hey, it's no different from the ID4 aliens invading Earth for its natural resources although they could have taken them from any other planet in the solar system as well.
Also, concession accepted on the Lebensraum front.

If you don't have anything besides lame snark to offer about speculations concerning silly plots for a potentially very silly summer blockbuster, then rather go and fuck your dead ancestors. They'll surely don't mind the company of yet another person with fossilized ganglia. Flame war over.

Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

loomer wrote:It could simply be that they don't have the resources available to change their initial beachhead target to somewhere less difficult to take without putting the entire operation at risk (in which case, the boysquids in Alien Military Intelligence really screwed up)
They appear to deploy most of their troops via drop pod and so far I haven't seen anything big enormous enough to move a shit ton of people and equipment in a hurry. So far we've seen some craft about as a big as a large airplane that may not even be transports.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Metahive wrote: If you don't have anything besides lame snark to offer about speculations concerning silly plots for a potentially very silly summer blockbuster, then rather go and fuck your dead ancestors. They'll surely don't mind the company of yet another person with fossilized ganglia. Flame war over.
You're still not getting it. What Stark and other have been trying to say is that in order to make a interesting movie, the humans must have a way to win. Realistically there is nothing on Earth FTL capable aliens would actually need so bad that they have to control the whole planet, but take it intact so that they can't use orbital bombardment.

Therefore, silly plot is almost mandatory for this type of movie. You should just forget about it and enjoy the show. If the movie is hilarious enough like Independence Day, you can always watch it for laughs. If they make it serious, you can always try to identify with one of the main characters and if the movie is well made get some entertainment out of that. Perhaps they can even avoid deus ex machina some way. If they manage that, they get a extra points from me for trying.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Has anybody considered that perhaps they wish to conquer the planet, but have an ethical obligation to minimize civilian casualties and not use orbital bombardment? Because they don't mind hitting military targets but they aren't complete monsters?
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What about a scenario where they're the interstellar equivalent of early archaeologists? Going around fucking up and over natives to steal bits and bobs to sell back to museums and collectors.

"It's a human piece that they called Mt Rushmore, quite a bold design of their first four-headed god-president on a granite medium. We start the bidding at twelve-ty squillion."
Satori
Youngling

Post by Satori »

adam_grif wrote:Has anybody considered that perhaps they wish to conquer the planet, but have an ethical obligation to minimize civilian casualties and not use orbital bombardment? Because they don't mind hitting military targets but they aren't complete monsters?
Then why are they dropping on the beaches of LA rather than on military installations?

The only idea I can think of is basically the opposite. These aliens are actually piss poor renegades who's highly desperate plan is to gain control of major population centers and extort payment from indigenous governments. Basically space terrorists, who don't even have the gear or funds to properly conquer even a relatively primitive planet like earth. They're using the alien equivalent of left over AK-47s from the cold war, and mothballed WWII artillery that fell off the back of an alien space truck.
Given the respective degrees of vulnerability to mental and physical force, annoying the powers of chaos to the point where they try openly to kill them all rather than subvert them is probably a sound survival strategy under the circumstances. -Eleventh Century Remnant
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I still want to see an alien invasion that's coming to save us from Hitler, or Stalin, or Kennedy, personally. It'd have to be a comedy though.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:You're still not getting it. What Stark and other have been trying to say is that in order to make a interesting movie, the humans must have a way to win. Realistically there is nothing on Earth FTL capable aliens would actually need so bad that they have to control the whole planet, but take it intact so that they can't use orbital bombardment.
Trouble to follow the conversation much?

Me: "Maybe they're storing something to poison the oceans in LA to make them worthless to the aliens!"
Stark: "Posioning water is stupid, they could cook it out! You're stupid for saying they don't know that much about water SNARK SNARK HURFF HURFF"
Me: "If they knew about aggregates they wouldn't come here to Earth to retrieve it but get it from elsewhere! If they want to live in the Oceans, they also can't simply cook it out!"
You: "You're still not getting it. What Stark and other have been trying to say is that in order to make a interesting movie, the humans must have a way to win. Realistically there is nothing on Earth FTL capable aliens would actually need so bad that they have to control the whole planet, but take it intact so that they can't use orbital bombardment."

Epic fail.

Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Bumping this because of a new and more interesting trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd-d7T_OfdU
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

It looks boss.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thanks - was going to post that.

Now with added context (invasion from the sea) I think its likely that the smoke rings are in fact DPICM arty rounds being dropped in to deny the beachheads. Which combined with some of the other footage seems to.indicate a half intelligent military and a production crew who have a clue/listened to consultants.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

It looks like they filmed on base at Pendleton, and with some decent hardware, which indicates a close association with the military in the production.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

Hell. Yes.

That is all.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

We're going to be butt-raped! :D
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Wonder when Michelle Rodriguez dies.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
TC27
Youngling

Post by TC27 »

If you cant find a plausable reason for an alien ground invasion then my default option is that the aliens are into some kind of ritualistic warfare/bloodsport and don just use orbital bombardment/robots/radiation because they would find it boring.