StarGate Universe premiere 2 Oct (spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Re: StarGate Universe premiere 2 Oct (spoilers)

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

JME2 wrote:Well, the gate effect in the movie was impressive for it's time; I definitely agree the creative team's produced a more consistent gate effect of years now.
IIRC early on several different special effects companies were used thus explaining the radically different look of the event horizons.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:And the event horizon looked like shit in the movie anyway.
I won't argue tastes but it certainly looked more realistic and less obviously as CGI effect. For example the surface reflected people and environment around it while now there is just a cheap ass chrome effect. Also the "ripples" in the event horizon when a person moves into the gate are much more fluid than those in the series.
However thinking about it lack of reflection is probably imperative for being able to use stock footage of the effect.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:
JME2 wrote:Well, the gate effect in the movie was impressive for it's time; I definitely agree the creative team's produced a more consistent gate effect of years now.
IIRC early on several different special effects companies were used thus explaining the radically different look of the event horizons.
Yes, according to the recut commentary, Brad Wright confirmed that 3 companies alone did the gate effects during "Children of the Gods" - hence their redoing it for the recut.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

NecronLord wrote: However, it's still a tenuous comparison. The Aurora's power systems were seriously questionable, what with leaking radiation and all that, giving it no ability to replenish its shields.
Nevertheless, it's probably the best direct comparison available, and I'm willing to take it at face value. At the very least, I'm accepting it as evidence that 304 Asgard and Aurora shielding aren't far apart in terms of capability, which is saying something given the size disparity between the two ships.
And from what I remember, the rate of fire from Michael's cruiser would be best described as abysmal, while the one in Travelers in those scenes where it was shown, was pretty much firing non-stop.
Not sure I agree here. For one, we had a really good constant going on during the entire battle sequence with the "thump thump thump" of the shields being impacted on the Daedalus, so even when the camera isn't showing us the battle, we know they are under constant attack by Michael. We didn't get the same effect in with the Aurora. We got the occasional sparks flying (which really says nothing. 304s are damned inconsistent in when they take damage with shields up and when they don't. There was no blowing up consoles or reports of damage in "Sins", even though the impression was their shields were about to fail.), but nothing substantial. I'm going to go look back at the eps, though.
So there's nothing to expressly contradict the notion that Asuras had the same kind of planetary core 'generator' in there.
I thought the whole reason the planet was supposed to explode was because of implosive pressure on the core (however silly it is), and not due to any underground power source for making ZPMs. Seemed to me that the writers were treating that implosion like a star's implosion, thus the eventual shock wave and whatnaught.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Ok, Necronlord, so here's the tally.

Travellers: There's only one scene to go by where we see the ship actually firing. Everything else is rocking and shaking, or sparking. No thump thump of shield impacts. Note, I'm just going by exterior views because of that. So, with the single view we get...

3 seconds: 5 shots fired=1.6 shots per second

Edit: There was also the 1 shot to the bridge that we see. I didn't count that, as the Wraith were trying to disable.

We get a lot more shots of Michael's ship firing, and it varies.
Right after they destroy hyperdrive: 7 seconds: 18 shots fired=2.5 shots per second
Shields down: 4 seconds: 5 shots fired=1.2 shots per second
Shields up: 3 seconds: 3 shots fired=1 shot per second
302 launch: 4 seconds: 9 shots fired=2.25 shots per second

I think the two ships are well in the ballpark of each other. I would not at all say Michael was holding back any more than the other Wraith Cruiser.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Finally saw it, it was ok but like a lot of you have already pointed out it had several glaring plot holes. One thing were the energy bolts the enemy ships firing different than normal as they looked off?
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

dragon wrote:Finally saw it, it was ok but like a lot of you have already pointed out it had several glaring plot holes. One thing were the energy bolts the enemy ships firing different than normal as they looked off?
Another plot hole I see- why not just use the Ancient StonesTM and bring in McKay, Carter, and a few other experts on Anicent technology to have that ship fixed in a week or so?
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Kodiak wrote:
dragon wrote:Finally saw it, it was ok but like a lot of you have already pointed out it had several glaring plot holes. One thing were the energy bolts the enemy ships firing different than normal as they looked off?
Another plot hole I see- why not just use the Ancient StonesTM and bring in McKay, Carter, and a few other experts on Anicent technology to have that ship fixed in a week or so?
From the way the others were reacting to his comments seems like something is up with that. Maybe they order him to return to earth as they could. And he seems to be a bit of very focused person.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

I question weather Rush even used the stones at all, and even if he did, I highly doubt O'Neill put him in charge like that. We only see a scene of him seemingly testing the stones on Doctor Lee in the past, but never see him contact Earth in the present.

The man's lying. His entire agenda throughout the series thus far has been to get to this ship, and it's clear he wants to stay. I'm waiting to see someone swipe the stone devices from him while he's gone off-world or something, actually contact the SGC, and finally let them know what's going on.
The ship is considerably different than previous designs seen, and seems far more primitive. There's no guarantee that McKay or Carter would have any greater luck. And the aforementioned Rush who doesn't want to give up the stones.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Do we even know weather there are stones in that briefcase? I don't recall seeing anyone open it to check. It could just be research materials or more supplies.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Darksider wrote:Do we even know weather there are stones in that briefcase? I don't recall seeing anyone open it to check. It could just be research materials or more supplies.
We saw him open a case, pull out a stone, use it, and then his person seemed to inhabit an SGC scientist back on earth.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Kodiak wrote: We saw him open a case, pull out a stone, use it, and then his person seemed to inhabit an SGC scientist back on earth.
Try again. What we actually see is him pull the stones out of the bag (yes, they were shown to be in the bag). Then it switches to a past event. It's pretty obvious, given that not only is the color off again, denoting a past event like the rest of the episode, but he's watching Doctor Lee be controlled by him through a camera at the SGC. At no point do we see him actually use it on the Destiny yet.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

I watched it today and I am torn.
On the one hand I liked the acting, especially Carlyle, the setting seems interesting enough and not just Atlantis Mk. 2. And the guy playing Lt. Scott is hot, so I am happily watching it ;)
What I am a bit sceptical about is how they manage to make more than 2 seasons out of the premise. Jumping around, visiting planets, being all angsty and grim-dark doesn't seem to last that long...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

CaptJodan wrote:
Kodiak wrote: We saw him open a case, pull out a stone, use it, and then his person seemed to inhabit an SGC scientist back on earth.
Try again. What we actually see is him pull the stones out of the bag (yes, they were shown to be in the bag). Then it switches to a past event. It's pretty obvious, given that not only is the color off again, denoting a past event like the rest of the episode, but he's watching Doctor Lee be controlled by him through a camera at the SGC. At no point do we see him actually use it on the Destiny yet.
That's not what I am seeing. Colour issues aside, we see Doctor Lee suddenly move, and when we see Rush, he wears the same clothes as Lee and does the same movements as the Lee on the screen. This indicates that Rush was actually "controlling" Lee and just appeared as Rush for the convenience of the viewer.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Dahak wrote:
CaptJodan wrote:
That's not what I am seeing. Colour issues aside, we see Doctor Lee suddenly move, and when we see Rush, he wears the same clothes as Lee and does the same movements as the Lee on the screen. This indicates that Rush was actually "controlling" Lee and just appeared as Rush for the convenience of the viewer.
Indeed, it seemed to me the same sort of setup as when Vala was "inhabiting" Daniel Jackson via ancient technology from the Ori galaxy.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP

ThomasP
Padawan Learner

Post by ThomasP »

Dahak wrote:
CaptJodan wrote:Try again. What we actually see is him pull the stones out of the bag (yes, they were shown to be in the bag). Then it switches to a past event. It's pretty obvious, given that not only is the color off again, denoting a past event like the rest of the episode, but he's watching Doctor Lee be controlled by him through a camera at the SGC. At no point do we see him actually use it on the Destiny yet.
That's what I got out of the scene as well. I thought the implication was that Rush was up to no good.

As far as the series, I still have mixed feelings. There's nothing about it that's put me off so far, but I want to see what happens the next few episodes. It could go either way at this point, really.

I do really like the atmosphere they created on the Destiny*, though. It's a nice departure from the previous Ancient aesthetics, and for whatever reason I really got the feeling that the ship was way, way out in space.

* For some reason I get a vibe from The Black Hole, with the Cygnus. Not sure why.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Kodiak wrote:
That would quickly turn into Stargate:Cannon Fodder, as essentially, SG-1 and the other Elittes could jsut body swap to solve EVERYTHING, even when they get older and swap out any time they are at risk.

I thought the stones needed the larger component to transmit intergalactic, the only time we saw stone to stone was Jack and the barber on the same continent. Vala and Daniel used the extra piece, and actually in the Atlantis episode they used the larger transmitter as well..

it might be a sweet plot twist if for example Dr. Rush was actually being posessed by someone from the Milky Way. Unlikely though, Daniel and Vala weren't a two way street,

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Dahak wrote: That's not what I am seeing. Colour issues aside, we see Doctor Lee suddenly move, and when we see Rush, he wears the same clothes as Lee and does the same movements as the Lee on the screen. This indicates that Rush was actually "controlling" Lee and just appeared as Rush for the convenience of the viewer.
Hmm. Perhaps you're right. Still, they shouldn't be switching their color filters on a non-past event when past events are what they were using it for in every other scene.
Stargate Nerd
Padawan Learner

Post by Stargate Nerd »

Just caught it today. I must say I rather liked it, although it reminded me off NBSG way too much. But I'll see where it goes from here.

Besides a few minor nerd gripes which were already brought up in this thread (Daedalus VS Ha'tak etc.) I thought it was very good.
His Divine Shadow wrote:Oh really Spoiler
those wacky megasuperduper ancients has got some kind of FTL travel that is not hyperspace, how... trite
Maybe it's to invoke NBSG. That's what I was reminded of when the medic told the people in the gate room that the ship dropped out of FTL. :lol:
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

Themightytom wrote:I thought the stones needed the larger component to transmit intergalactic, the only time we saw stone to stone was Jack and the barber on the same continent. Vala and Daniel used the extra piece, and actually in the Atlantis episode they used the larger transmitter as well..
Actually, that could be explained by the "transmitter" station still being on Earth at the time.
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Themightytom wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
That would quickly turn into Stargate:Cannon Fodder, as essentially, SG-1 and the other Elittes could jsut body swap to solve EVERYTHING, even when they get older and swap out any time they are at risk.

I thought the stones needed the larger component to transmit intergalactic, the only time we saw stone to stone was Jack and the barber on the same continent. Vala and Daniel used the extra piece, and actually in the Atlantis episode they used the larger transmitter as well..

it might be a sweet plot twist if for example Dr. Rush was actually being posessed by someone from the Milky Way. Unlikely though, Daniel and Vala weren't a two way street,
There was an earth made component with the set. Seems they've replicated the technology.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Watched it and found the new special effects rather nice. The new Hataks looked really sweet compared to the old style renderings but I expected nothing less from a pilot that is trying to sell this as much as possible like any series attempts to do. Wether they maintain this kind of effects or suddenly nose dive into generic stock footage reuse is a point on intrest for me.

I personnally dont like the actor that plays Rush because he often gets typcasted into these kind of characters that irritate me but this didnt bug me so much. On the upside, I like how they at least attempted to make him appear somewhat dynamic rather than just play him off as being a complete asshole for no reason other than to be the asshole of the show.

My own personal theory is Rush being the guy who leaked the location of the base either intentionally or not I wouldnt guess that far. Regardless, it seems pretty evident Rush is going to be the equivelent of Baltar for this series being the scientist they need to run everything but being a selfish prick otherwise. I can see Chloe having a go for him and generally trying to ruin him over the course of the season at least.

The Destiny seems interesting, it reminded me of Alien quite a bit with the narrow corridors and the industrial setting like the Nostromo. The FTL drive system looked rather wierd IMO. It clearly isnt the same kind of hyperspace we are used to and it looked like' drag' was curving round the ship which was nice to look at but kinda wierd, if this drive system has some sort of 'drag' then the ship design would make much more sense using a more dynamic hull configuration.
The ship certainly appears to be extremely large and the engines make up a massive bulk at the back so I expect we are going to see another recurring theme of the crew running around the ship finding labs, boxes and episode wonders like Atlantis.

Additionally, some of the camera angles and the damage sustained to the ship being potentially battle damage left me with the impression that something is onboard watching them. I'm guessing we are going to get the equivelent of the Wraith coming soon enough although hopefully the show has learned from Atlantis's mistakes in that regard.
Although I find the idea of a bunch of aliens capable of hunting down this ship using an unknown drive system that jumps from galaxy to galaxy rather concerning. If they have the technology to keep up with the Destiny then sooner or later the question is going to be raised why they havent been seen or heard off. Unless it turns out these guys are the unknown aliens we saw engaging Atlantis during the Daedulus reality shifting episode.

I'm not really going to comment on the overall show until they at least get over the initial setup and obligatory exposition bullshit for everything that can or cannot be done. However, it does seem to have started off decently but realistically this happened for Atlantis. The real test is to see if they can maintain the show without falling into familiar patterns or simply wrecking themselves into dead ends like Atlantis.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Additionally, some of the camera angles and the damage sustained to the ship being potentially battle damage left me with the impression that something is onboard watching them. I'm guessing we are going to get the equivelent of the Wraith coming soon enough although hopefully the show has learned from Atlantis's mistakes in that regard.
I believe the intention is that the damage is caused by collisions with micrometeorites and the like as opposed to battle damage. Although that is a possibility, it's entirely possible someone took umbridge to having a ship suddenly drop in their system with no warning. I do believe the intention is that it is just an old old ship though.

With regards to the camera angles, obscure angles are just the in thing at the moment. We are bound to get an over use of it early on, because they are still experimenting with the look and feel of the show.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The promotional material hasn't mentioned enemies, and I believe the prevailing expectation is that while they will have enemies, they're not going to be a single persistant force, but that the ship will jump ahead of them.

One thing I found curious about this was how few stargates were detected. Is that perhaps the limit of the Destiny's sensors for detecting them? Because on standard power, the Destiny can surely dial across a whole galaxy.

If Rush is the Baltar character, and Wallace is going to contradict him a lot, I'd like to see Eli Wallace mature into a proper scientist over time.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

NecronLord wrote: One thing I found curious about this was how few stargates were detected. Is that perhaps the limit of the Destiny's sensors for detecting them? Because on standard power, the Destiny can surely dial across a whole galaxy.
I thought I remembered Rush saying something like "there are 3 Stargates in range". I was under the impression that Destiny doesn't have much power reserves left, so dialing "long-distance" might be out of the question. Another possibility is that the ship detected only stargates where they could find their needed resources. I don't have the script on-hand, but Rush seemed to input their needs into the ship and the ship made a list of stops where they can get what they need.

On another note, if they were able to get a fix on what galaxy they're in, couldn't they use the ancient stones to tell the SGC their location and get supplied via an 8-chevron dialing from home? They might not be able to get home that way, but they could at least get food, water, and Lou Diamond Phillips.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP