You get a suit of power armor (RAR!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: You get a suit of power armor (RAR!)

Post by Elheru Aran »

Right, well I'd rather have less things collecting dust around here than I have to...

On topic: What would I do?

Take a quick jog around the world, I guess. Not really but I'm not going to get rid of it without having some fun first. As to where to get rid of it? Sell it to MIT or some tech school. Let them have a shot at cracking the tech and deriving applications. Better them than the military or the government, even if the government/military is probably going to take a lot of the technology anyway.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I wonder if NASA would be in the running to buy this thing? It's space-tight, right? This would be very useful to replace the normally fragile spacesuits and allow astronauts to perform heavy lifting if they were sent to the Moon or Mars.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Borgholio wrote:I wonder if NASA would be in the running to buy this thing? It's space-tight, right? This would be very useful to replace the normally fragile spacesuits and allow astronauts to perform heavy lifting if they were sent to the Moon or Mars.
There's a thought, but it sounds kinda bulky and that's a penalty for space travel. I doubt they'd say no, though. Might even be able to jockey it into a free stay on the ISS.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I wonder how difficult it would be to get this thing to a volcano and dump it in there.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Purple wrote:I wonder how difficult it would be to get this thing to a volcano and dump it in there.
It surprises me how much effort people will go through to be so wasteful...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Of course, realistically most of us won't be able to hide the damn thing. At least not in an apartment. I can't imagine managing to bring this thing ANYWHERE without lots of people asking what the hell is making that noise and/or taking photos about it to be posted on social media. I would need a furniture-moving pickup truck to move it anywhere and then I'd have to find a good spot to hide it. Maybe use it to make your hiding place?

Heh, a lot of SDN-ners all making superhero bunkers.

Volunteering as an astronaut with one would be awesome, the security feature would give us prestige-access. I could volunteer at the ESA.
It surprises me how much effort people will go through to be so wasteful...
It would be cartoonishly funny though. And if you make a video of it, nobody can pester you for "no, really, we know you are hiding it, tell us where it is".
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Zixinus wrote:It would be cartoonishly funny though. And if you make a video of it, nobody can pester you for "no, really, we know you are hiding it, tell us where it is".
Exactly. Especially if it's a major tourist spot or something and I get a lot of witnesses see me gently nudging it off the ledge.

Also, I wonder if it could survive inside? Like if yes than we might be talking about a whole different dip in lava.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

I'd probably sell it to Elon Musk, and if he weren't interested, I'd start a local delivery service for heavy appliances.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

I would probably trade it for an Incontinent Ballistic Missile that I would then bury in the backyard -- just to keep one of the damnable things out of circulation for the next hundred years or so.
Maximum effort!
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

That was supposed to be Intercontinental. :facepalm:
Maximum effort!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Are you trolling with that suggestion?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Axton wrote:I would probably trade it for an Incontinent Ballistic Missile that I would then bury in the backyard -- just to keep one of the damnable things out of circulation for the next hundred years or so.
Congratulations, you got a missile buried in a fully functional silo.
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

Zixinus wrote:Are you trolling with that suggestion?
No. I mean that the best use I can think of for the thing is to use it to take a weapon of mass destruction off the table. Seems like the best way to potentially save lives with it.
Maximum effort!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

How in the world would that even work? ICBMs are not something to be traded.

And even if by some miracle you did, they'd just make another one. You solved nothing.
Credo!
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

Well, what about using it to set off the nukes, then?
Maximum effort!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Axton wrote:Well, what about using it to set off the nukes, then?
You won't survive the experience, annndd...I see no downside to that.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Axton wrote:Well, what about using it to set off the nukes, then?
You won't survive the experience, annndd...I see no downside to that.
You mean aside from the fallout?

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Also has several problems, first of which: the suit doesn't make you invincible. You will get killed once they start bringing out anti-vehicle/anti-tank weaponry, plus actual tanks and helicopters (including drones that are armed with hellfire missiles). If you brake into a military bases that has anything heavier than an assault rifle, you will be killed. Very likely before you even get near anywhere where there are nukes, once they see a guy in power armor marching towards them aggressively.

Need I remind you that the thing does not come with any weapons?

Second, you can't set off nukes by accident or by firing at them, not only do they not work that way but are quite deliberately designed so.

Third, even if by some miracle you do set it off, you just nuked yourself.

Fourth, even if that plan works by divine intervention, again, they'll just make more to replace the ones lost and you have changed nothing but bring yourself atop the official kill list. And ruin having power armor for the rest of us who may have wanted to use it for legitimate purposes like emergency rescue, in which case, thanks for being that idiotic asshole that ruins a good thing.
Credo!
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

Zixinus wrote:
Also has several problems, first of which: the suit doesn't make you invincible. You will get killed once they start bringing out anti-vehicle/anti-tank weaponry, plus actual tanks and helicopters (including drones that are armed with hellfire missiles). If you brake into a military bases that has anything heavier than an assault rifle, you will be killed. Very likely before you even get near anywhere where there are nukes, once they see a guy in power armor marching towards them aggressively.
Well, duh, you don't march toward them aggressively. You just sort of... stroll up to them, in a very friendly way.
Maximum effort!
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Axton wrote:Well, duh, you don't march toward them aggressively. You just sort of... stroll up to them, in a very friendly way.
You'll be dead before you cross the perimeter. And besides, even if they do just let you walk in and you do manage to set a nuke off and you get out of it alive you still have to deal with the problem inherent in setting a bloody nuke off in a shallow open pit. Among them being monumental amounts of fallout as all the dug up earth is thrown up, irradiated to lethal levels and scattered for kilometers upon kilometers of landscape to pollute the land for ever more.

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Purple wrote:My country does not in fact check every ones mail all the time.
You're telling me that a 3-400kg parcel could shipped through your country's post without anyone batting an eye? :wtf:
We ship multiple of those from my work per week. I ordered two pallets of paving stones for my backyard, they where 4 metric tons. Why would anyone bat an eye?

Obviously it won't be shipped USPS small parcel.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Well, duh, you don't march toward them aggressively. You just sort of... stroll up to them, in a very friendly way.
I take it you didn't read the rest of my post?
Credo!
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

Purple wrote:...even if they do just let you walk in and you do manage to set a nuke off and you get out of it alive you still have to deal with the problem inherent in setting a bloody nuke off in a shallow open pit. Among them being monumental amounts of fallout as all the dug up earth is thrown up, irradiated to lethal levels and scattered for kilometers upon kilometers of landscape to pollute the land for ever more.
Right, exactly. What's the downside?
Maximum effort!
Axton
Padawan Learner

Post by Axton »

Zixinus wrote:

I take it you didn't read the rest of my post?
I did; I just didn't have any objection to the rest of it.
Maximum effort!
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Axton wrote:
Purple wrote:...even if they do just let you walk in and you do manage to set a nuke off and you get out of it alive you still have to deal with the problem inherent in setting a bloody nuke off in a shallow open pit. Among them being monumental amounts of fallout as all the dug up earth is thrown up, irradiated to lethal levels and scattered for kilometers upon kilometers of landscape to pollute the land for ever more.
Right, exactly. What's the downside?
So wait, your plan is to go down in history as a radioactive super villain? In that case nothing really. Well aside from what I imagine would be one hell of a heightened cancer risk on your part.