New Ghost Busters reboot trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

New Ghost Busters reboot trailer

Post by ANGELUS »

Well here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

I don't really know what to say about this.... it just looks so...

Well, ghosts look like borrowed from the Scooby Doo movies...
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: New Ghost Busters reboot trailer

Post by Borgholio »

Meh...this doesn't make me want to go see it.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

They made some changes: so why does the black cast member still have to be token? EDIT: I'll rephrase. Winston was the man off the street for Ghostbusters. Why couldn't Tolan be the Quantum Physicist? You know, because all smart people Quantum something something.

Looks awful, not surprised in the least.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Ugh, that trailer does not inspire confidence in the movie. I think they would have been better off doing a sequel where the new cast takes over from the old instead of a reboot which tries to emulate the original.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

The most damning thing about this trailer is that this is the good stuff. This is a deliberate attempt to portray the movie in the most flattering light possible. And even this is mediocre to actively repellent.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I was not looking forward to this before and this trailer doesn't help change that. And to clarify, I was not not looking forward to this because of the all female cast. Nothing wrong with that, would have preferred a mixed gender cast with the roles going to whomever is the best fit but whatever, and I guess could have been used for some interesting social commentary if they wanted to go down that road. No my problems are many but not the gender of the actors.

I think the director is a hack. He makes gender swapped movies that just aren't very good that only have the "women in a mans role" junk to set it apart. And the movies just aren't good. Could be the fault of his muse which leads into my next problem, Melissa MacCarthy. I just find her so unfunny and kinda raunchy. Maybe its because I'm turning into an old man who wants those damn kids to quit skateboarding near my yard but raunchy humor doesn't do it for me anymore. And this movie looks raunchy.

My final problem and the most important is this movie just didn't need to exist. Not in its current form, not as a all male, all female, mixed gender, or sequel using the franchise idea. Sure the franchise idea might work a little better then a straight up reboot and feel less......I dunno... a shameless ripoff maybe but even then its still unneeded.

I just feel, and this is my opinion (which means its a fact), that Ghostbusters is one of those movies that doesn't need a sequel or reboot or whatever. There was a time when a sequel could have worked but even thats debatable. Now in this here future year of 2016 that is so futuristic all our hovercars and hoverboards where replaced with clearly superior motorized scooter board things and ground cars, its just not needed. Nor is a reboot needed. What exactly can it do differently that would set it apart beyond being terrible? Ghostbusters worked so well because of the chemistry of the cast. The plot was kinda meh all things considered and was the result of script compromises and numerous rewrites. A reboot with a similar plot and a cast that doesn't mesh well won't work at all.

Now I'll admit part of my dislike of this is the result of nostalgic nerd rage and anger of the "they changed it therefore it sucks" kind but objectively I just think this movie is going to be bad.

I will say I really dig their boots, you can see a better view of them in the promo pictures that came out awhile ago, and the Ecto 1 actually looks pretty decent.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I'm pretty goddamn sure Winston wasn't a scientist, so saying "4 Scientists saved New York" doesn't even match the source material. But hey, I'm sure we would have seen him say shit like "AAAAAWWWW, Hell NAH!" him not being a walking stereotype and all. How far we've come Hollywood. How far we've come...

Holy shit, someone tell me to chill the fuck out if I'm being over-sensitive, but out of everything I feel about this trainwreck: Winston being recast as this walking "sassy black friend" stereotype is really pissing me off. Winston was fucking awesome. He was grounded, a blue-colar type as opposed to the other 3. Now we get.... a black woman who starts preaching that the power of pain compels you, a line that wouldn't be funny delivered by any actor.
Joun_Lord wrote:I think the director is a hack. He makes gender swapped movies that just aren't very good that only have the "women in a mans role" junk to set it apart. And the movies just aren't good. Could be the fault of his muse which leads into my next problem, Melissa MacCarthy. I just find her so unfunny and kinda raunchy. Maybe its because I'm turning into an old man who wants those damn kids to quit skateboarding near my yard but raunchy humor doesn't do it for me anymore. And this movie looks raunchy.
I wouldn't be surprised if she's actually a talented actor, but Hollywood doesn't have a lot of room for an overweight actress that doesn't fit a niche like McCarthy does. Wig also deals with being typecast as a quiet and neurotic weirdo. They seem to have just carbon-copied both characters from Bridesmaids. Set sail for fail.
Ghostbusters worked so well because of the chemistry of the cast. The plot was kinda meh all things considered and was the result of script compromises and numerous rewrites. A reboot with a similar plot and a cast that doesn't mesh well won't work at all.
Probably helped a metric shitload that the writers were two of the stars. It's been years, but I'm pretty sure they also specifically wrote Venkmen's role for Murray and once he was onboard, the studio was basically rubber stamping the movie with whatever they wanted.

Also, you know.... writers who understand comedy usually help. From what I can see, this movie was written by the guy who did Bridesmaids and another who did 50+ episodes of MadTV. Bridesmaids did have it's moments, but there's only so much comedy to be had out of "shitting in the street while wearing a wedding dress." MadTV usually went from short moments of chuckles to "depressingly terrible."
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

TheFeniX wrote:I'm pretty goddamn sure Winston wasn't a scientist, so saying "4 Scientists saved New York" doesn't even match the source material.
Well, to be fair... they could not say "Three scientists and some other guy" :)
Now we get.... a black woman who starts preaching that the power of pain compels you, a line that wouldn't be funny delivered by any actor.
Actually it's "the power of Patty compels you", which I believe is her character's name. And that's terrible.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I've heard that Winston was suppose to be someone with an engineering degree but it never made it to the movie itself.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

ANGELUS wrote:
TheFeniX wrote:I'm pretty goddamn sure Winston wasn't a scientist, so saying "4 Scientists saved New York" doesn't even match the source material.
Well, to be fair... they could not say "Three scientists and some other guy" :
They could however gone with 'heroes'. 'Dudes'. Guys in weird suits'. There was no need to go with the (as Fenix points out, inaccurate) Scientists angle.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

I am having mixed feelings while the little bit of plot we see looks interesting I just don't see this movie doing well.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Batman wrote:
ANGELUS wrote:
Well, to be fair... they could not say "Three scientists and some other guy" :
They could however gone with 'heroes'. 'Dudes'. Guys in weird suits'. There was no need to go with the (as Fenix points out, inaccurate) Scientists angle.
I know. I was kidding :)
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

It doesn't look particularly horrible... I guess. I mean, it looks like they're trying to replicate some of the low-key humor of the original, except instead of well-timed, deadpan Venkman lines it's more like uninspired Office-type awkward-dialogue based comedy.

But you know... it's only the first trailer. Maybe it won't be as bad as we think. (It probably will.)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

TheFeniX wrote:They made some changes: so why does the black cast member still have to be token? EDIT: I'll rephrase. Winston was the man off the street for Ghostbusters. Why couldn't Tolan be the Quantum Physicist? You know, because all smart people Quantum something something.
My only major problem with the trailer is how awfully cliche (dare I say racist?) their depiction of the main black character appears to be.
Looks awful, not surprised in the least.
On the other hand, its pretty clear that this is another film that internet nerds have decided to hate before it came out.

And while I can't say anything about your personal reasons, I do think a lot of that is probably due to the gender changes, plus the usual knee-jerk anti-reboot crowd.

This is a movie I'd be willing to see, but not at the top of my list (if I had to choose between this and, say, Batman vs. Superman or Suicide Squad... yeah, Ghostbusters probably ain't winning out).
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The Romulan Republic wrote:My only major problem with the trailer is how awfully cliche (dare I say racist?) their depiction of the main black character appears to be.
Yea, and takes a huge dump on the casting of the same character 30 years ago. And I don't think I'm reaching here when I say the new girl is Winston with boobs considering he was a hired gun after the original cast setup shop and so is the new character.

But Winston might have been token being the only black member of the team, but that was the only token part of his character.
And while I can't say anything about your personal reasons, I do think a lot of that is probably due to the gender changes, plus the usual knee-jerk anti-reboot crowd.
I saw the trailer for Mad Max and said "I want to see that movie." It promised crazy chases and explosions and we got crazy chases and explosions. Still, for all the bitching: movie was more popular among older men than women.

The Ghostbusters trailer promises boring attempts at failed comedy and a "sassy black woman." That said, cast Tina Fey over Wiig: day one ticket purchase.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, Mad Max: Fury Road was a rare gem- a feminist film with a female-dominated cast that still appealed to the male action movie crowd.

Films like that don't come along often.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Biggest problem: having the defining characteristic of the Black Lady being that she is a stereotypical Sassy Black Lady. Not that this movie should not try to do it's own thing, but Winston in the first Ghostbusters was the straight man of the gang.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

The trailer was mediocre. That said, I think some of the jokes they showed may be funnier with proper build-up and timing, the ectoplasm-puke in particular, so if the trailer mercilessly cut periods of no dialogue, it could be the jokes are funnier. Or it just could be the direct has no sense of comedic timing. Only time will tell!
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, Mad Max: Fury Road was a rare gem- a feminist film with a female-dominated cast that still appealed to the male action movie crowd.
Mad Max "tricked" people into seeing an action movie with feminist themes. They didn't pull a Jarhead and show us a trailer full of oorah! then give us a movie about how boring military life can be. But the signs were not only already there but mostly: Mad Max didn't skimp on the action. That was the main hook: great action AND progressive themes. I can't think of a single action movie with a female lead that wasn't more popular with men than women. As much as Internet trolls like to bitch, putting women at the head of an action movie doesn't piss off men.

And, unless my memory is bad, Mad Max didn't taper off after opening-day either, even though MRAs claimed once word got out, the movie would tank as strapping young men foiled the feminist plot.

I don't see that with Ghostbusters. I'm not even ready to call it feminist anything because if they cast McCarthy for why I think they did, it'll be about as progressive as Bridesmaids. We've only seen the trailer and we've already got one black female stereotype. So... full speed ahead.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

TheFeniX wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, Mad Max: Fury Road was a rare gem- a feminist film with a female-dominated cast that still appealed to the male action movie crowd.
Mad Max "tricked" people into seeing an action movie with feminist themes. They didn't pull a Jarhead and show us a trailer full of oorah! then give us a movie about how boring military life can be. But the signs were not only already there but mostly: Mad Max didn't skimp on the action. That was the main hook: great action AND progressive themes. I can't think of a single action movie with a female lead that wasn't more popular with men than women. As much as Internet trolls like to bitch, putting women at the head of an action movie doesn't piss off men.
Most men, no. Or at least not enough that they'll flat-out refuse to see it. Though their are exceptions, of course (including the MRA asshats you mention below).

And sadly, I do recall that at least one theatre that showed it got shot up (I don't recall if it was a random nut or an ideologically motivated attack, though).

Interesting thing, though- I remember that the teaser initially didn't appeal to me much. In fact, I think I really saw it in spite of the teaser, not because of it to some extent.
And, unless my memory is bad, Mad Max didn't taper off after opening-day either, even though MRAs claimed once word got out, the movie would tank as strapping young men foiled the feminist plot.
Hell, I'm pretty sure I originally saw it despite my aforementioned misgivings at least partly to spite the sexists who were attacking it.

Glad I did, too, because I'd have missed probably the best movie I saw last year otherwise.
I don't see that with Ghostbusters. I'm not even ready to call it feminist anything because if they cast McCarthy for why I think they did, it'll be about as progressive as Bridesmaids. We've only seen the trailer and we've already got one black female stereotype. So... full speed ahead.
Yeah, this doesn't look particularly progressive except insofar as its got female leads without them all being hyper-sexualized (though that alone is fairly significant).

Its more that it just contributes to a sense of an overall trend/momentum when it comes to giving women major, and at least sometimes non-traditional roles in speculative fiction/action films these days (see Fury Road, Force Awakens, Suicide Squad, and Wonder Woman).
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

That made me not even want to finish the trailer
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Personally, the biggest part of the original was the writing and the actors who were able to really work with it. If they can pull off the kind of natural delivery, without the comedy feeling forced, then it can be a very good movie.

As another poster noted, in the original, Winston was the level-headed "everyman" - not some stereotype, and that's what made his character work so well - he served to ground the other 3 "weirdos".

If the Patty character was similarly level-headed and *not* over the top, then it wouldn't have seemed as jarring. Maybe, just maybe, the scenes we see with her in the trailer are the exception, and the majority of the time she *is* the down-to-earth "straight man".

It's also interesting that the 3 female scientists all seem to have an active part in their ghostbusting efforts - no one seems to be leeching off of them, like Venkman did.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

You know, I saw a successful (not a movie I would like, but a successful one) movie under there. Not a critical success, but rather a cheesy throwaway summer fun flick millions of people go see that lives and dies on that type of humor and crappy visual effects. However, in this case Ghost Busters is a Albatross around its neck. It obviously hasn't lived up to the franchise and that's all anyone will ever evaluate it against.

I don't blame that on the actors or even the writers. Some things just are not remarkable, at least not if you are going to bill it as just as good or better than the original. Ghostbusters was a product of its time and place, and I want to point out how important 80's NYC was to the feel of that film. No, the people to blame are the bean counters attempting to squeeze blood from a stone.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Looks soulless and pathetic. What a surprise.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

One line in the trailer I felt missed out heavily on what made the source material effective. In the original, a key idea was that it was normal humans using science to defeat the apocalypse. In the trailer, they mentioned a human who was somehow controlling the supernatural. Adding a human enemy ruins it.

I also agree on the issue of missing out on what made Winston effective in the original.

What annoy me with ideas like this in general, is that of reusing existing characters rather than trying to come up with new ones. It was the same issue with lady Thor and black Captain America. Why not simply come up with new ideas using similar themes to the original ghostbusters that happen to star women?