Freaking Deathclaws (RAR!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Freaking Deathclaws (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

In this scenario you wake up one morning and you look outside. Around your place of residence are a dozen Deathclaws...
...they're just sort of milling about at the moment, some of them eating the contents from a truck they had torn open. They have no interest in your home so far, but they will attack people who come their way or outside. Taking them down will take a fair bit of firepower and they're fast.

What do you do?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
SMJB
Padawan Learner

Re: Freaking Deathclaws (RAR!)

Post by SMJB »

Call the police?
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Curse Zor as I get out my cellphone, and call the cops, as well as the department of wildlife. I ready my pistol in case I need to end it quickly, as 9mm won't do squat to a deathclaw, and arrows from my longbow will probably not do the trick either. Either way, I'm staying put and hiding in a closet until the outside erupts into a warzone or the Department of wildlife tranqs the creatures and either put them down or put them in a pen somewhere.

However, considering the amount of foot traffic around my place, they might quickly leave and start slaughtering innocent college students wandering to campus, and the only moral(but suicidal) course would be to buy them a few precious seconds as they tear me apart for being in 'their' territory.

My last words, aside from gurgles, would be a refrained, "Curse you Zor."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I own... many guns. A few of which have the firepower to injure/kill a Deathclaw.

My primary problem is how to get the police to show up with enough firepower to take out 12 10-foot tall unstoppable killing machines, while I cower in my attic, after hurridly forcing the wife up there and pulling the ladder up with us. The dogs have to come too as King would bark at them, because he's an asshole. As part of this, I can't just say "there's a pack of dogs" because that won't bring enough cops with the right firepower. I would likely be better off making up some story about a group of people walking down the street with rifles saying they're going to start shooting everyone. That would get SWAT out real fast.

Otherwise, my option is to call and be like "You play Fallout? Yea man, Deathclaws. Lots of them. Send in the Paladins."

Then I pray to Thor's Hammer we're not hit by stray automatic gunfire as the Deathclaws inflict heavy losses on the police force before they, hopefully, get taken out. Probably better off making our way out the back while the fun goes on.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lucky I have a convenient lie I can tell "Hey police? There's a grizzly bear family that's broken into my shed, mamma and papa and two kids" Now the fact I don't own a shed or live in the right area for Grizzly bears means that I likely won't be the only one calling (I live in an apartment building) but Grizziles while not death claws are roughly the right animals for the mindset the cops will need.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I do not know what these things are, like literally, newer heard of them. Can they break through reinforced doors or climb up stairs?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Purple wrote:I do not know what these things are, like literally, newer heard of them. Can they break through reinforced doors or climb up stairs?
Imagine something like a velociraptor 8 feet tall with foot long claws, horns and elephant thick skin. They run, climb, charge and swim. As of Fallout 4 they dig.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

As of Fallout 4, they can soak something like 150 5mm minigun bullets to the face too. So some sort of variation of 'running'/'hiding' is probably best.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I wouldn't worry too much. My apartment is obviously a different zone and deathclaw pathing is just as bad as any other fallout 4 pathing so I could get him glitched on a table and just walk away.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Jub wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. My apartment is obviously a different zone and deathclaw pathing is just as bad as any other fallout 4 pathing so I could get him glitched on a table and just walk away.
So-what about the other eleven? There's not one Deathclaw, there's a dozen of them. :D

This looks like just another workday. I leave Clark a message to tell him that something broke out of that zoo of his again then take them out, then complain what took him so long when he shows up 15 minutes later.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Hmm. In the UK access to heavy weaponry is not great. Third floor flat but busy area. I assume at least 2 aRe wiped out as lorry roadkill before traffic stops and the slaughter starts. However, this is not just the UK, this is Cardiff. I wait for the doctor to turn up, and pray I don't get a minor speaking role as a death sentance.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Just how good/bad is their pa thing? Like if they can't climb up the long stairs to where I am I could just laugh at them from my window.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Take some cell phone pictures and maybe even video. Call 911. Try to convince someone to send down the helicopter gunships from Fort Campbell before the damn things kill somebody.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Purple wrote:Just how good/bad is their pa thing? Like if they can't climb up the long stairs to where I am I could just laugh at them from my window.
He's making game mechanics jokes but no, a deathclaw can climb objects as seen when a deathclaw chased me to the top of a four story building ruin and made the jump to the nearby building. They can and will climb up railings and navigate an industrial building complete with... stairs, five flights of stairs I was chased before escaping by using my entire stockpile of fragmines and grenades.

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Introduce some Yao Guai and problem solved. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Mr Bean wrote:
Purple wrote:Just how good/bad is their pa thing? Like if they can't climb up the long stairs to where I am I could just laugh at them from my window.
He's making game mechanics jokes but no, a deathclaw can climb objects as seen when a deathclaw chased me to the top of a four story building ruin and made the jump to the nearby building. They can and will climb up railings and navigate an industrial building complete with... stairs, five flights of stairs I was chased before escaping by using my entire stockpile of fragmines and grenades.
Can they break through those reinforced burglar proof doors?

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Purple wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:
Can they break through those reinforced burglar proof doors?
They can carve through solid steel 2 inch thick reinforced doors and tear apart cell doors like cardboard.

So maybe, so it depends on how burglar proof your door is.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

In Fallout 3, the Enclave were able to pen Deathclaws into metal cages, so it might be possible for them to be contained.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

There was a Deathclaw stuck in a pretty ordinary building in the original Fallout so their ability to break into/out of stuff seems to be at best uneven.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Barricade the doors, alcove, windows and tell everyone I know in the area to either do the same or GTFO out of town. Then call the army, tell them to either bring in armor with heavy weapons (maybe an attack helicopter) or forget it. Then huddle up for possibly several weeks until the Hungarian authorities get their shit together to kill all of them. Hope they don't decide to shell the apartment blocks.

I would actually tell the cops the same or just that they should grab their families and GTFO. Calling them in here for help would just get them slaughtered, it would take an entire commando team to take down just one.

I'm sure that they will eventually find enough people around to quickly start a slaughterfest to make the seriousness of their threat known, no matter what I do. I'd photograph and video that with my phone and send that as information to people around.

If I have the bravery, I would organize with my neightbours to block the glass windows in the entrance of the apartment block. If the Deathclaws see people moving behind the glass, they'll just brake the glass and then we are fucked. So block the glass, preferably up to the first three floors (there are windows on the stairway) to remove temptation, maybe do it at night (which is going to be problematic because we have motion-trigerred lights, maybe take those out with my pellet-gun). Lock and barricade doors on roof and basement to pre-emtively prevent them (the Deathclaws) from using it. I would look into the basement having any sewer openings that could allow evacuating residents. I'd advise the neighbors to block all their own windows and keep everything they do at low volume to not attract attention. Hopefully we can swap around food to last until they take care of the deatclaws. If we need to make food-runs to the nearby supermarket, we'd do them by pulling them up from an alcove via rope-ladder rather than by door.
I do not know what these things are, like literally, newer heard of them. Can they break through reinforced doors or climb up stairs?
In a word? Yes. To everything.

The name? Absolutely warranted. These things aren't just strong and fast, they are cunning and aggressive. In their own universe these things can take on people with power armor and heavy weapons.

These are high-level mutated monsters in the Fallout franchise that are always top-level. They are a death sentence to all but the most high-level and well-equipped characters. They are literary one of the most powerful non-sentient mutant-type enemies the game can throw at you.

So odds are you that even doing the most intelligent thing, everyone here on SDN that doesn't have a panic room equivalent or high-power small arms, is going to be fucked.

So the question isn't what they can do but what they can't do. I live in a ten-story apartment with a sheer wall and I would not put it past them to climb THAT to the roof.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

but they will attack people who come their way or outside.
Which means that it's likely that people have already been killed outside. Someone might have already called the police.

I know exactly which room in the house I'm hiding in until this is all over.
TheFeniX wrote:My primary problem is how to get the police to show up with enough firepower to take out 12 10-foot tall unstoppable killing machines, while I cower in my attic,
I use the camera in my phone to take video of them. I send that to the cops. Hopefully that's enough. If it isn't, the death of the first cops on the scene will force things to escalate. Until we hit the limits of what the NZ military can supply.

I'm not much of a fan of Fallout, so I might not recognise them as Deathclaws.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I run out the fire escape and descend to the building immediately next to mine, then leap across the alley to the fire escape on the building next to that one and climb to the roof. Deathclaws have never been depicted at any time as being able to climb something like old fire escapes up multi-story buildings.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Nephtys wrote:As of Fallout 4, they can soak something like 150 5mm minigun bullets to the face too. So some sort of variation of 'running'/'hiding' is probably best.
I'm yet to encounter one, but one of the loading screen tips I got was 'Some Deathclaws have adapted to camouflage themselves to be nearly invisible.' Actually I've encountered three Deathclaws so far. 1 I killed (scripted story event) 1 murdered me in short order and 1 I ran from as fast as my power armoured legs would carry me.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Grab the 12ga, call cops, escape and evade. If they are attacking others well...can't run away but have plenty of ammo.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

A question. On a scale of 1 to 10 how good does one of these look with a pink bow?