New GIANT starship comparison sheet BIG!

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: New GIANT starship comparison sheet BIG!

Post by NecronLord »

Parallax wrote:Considering that image contain fan art which is based on pure speculation (The Type 40 TARDIS), I don't think this graph has much credibility.
The picture of Iyanden, while not beyond the bounds of reason, is also pure speculation in its scaling. There's no concrete size given for Iyanden, except 'small moon.'
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

NecronLord wrote:
Parallax wrote:Considering that image contain fan art which is based on pure speculation (The Type 40 TARDIS), I don't think this graph has much credibility.
The picture of Iyanden, while not beyond the bounds of reason, is also pure speculation in its scaling. There's no concrete size given for Iyanden, except 'small moon.'
I've also never heard of that 40K... thing... which is right by it. Must be from the newest incarnation or some of the really out-there side game material.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Adam Reynolds wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Because Pablo Hidalgo or whomever was in charge at LFL got tired of all the squabbling and went 'OK, it's 160 km, now shut up about it, we don't care how big the visuals make it or whatever, it's 160 km and that's it'.

Really that's pretty much what it boiled down to.
Too bad that he picked the wrong number. By that logic we can't say how much firepower the Death Star or X-wings have from the films. Those are based on similar scaling techniques.

The second Death Star represents a massive piece of the Galactic Empire's military strength. The first Death Star was built concurrently with a conventional buildup. The increase in size is related to the fact that it appears that star wars weapon power doesn't scale linearly. It is closer to logarithmic in scaling. Thus it requires a massive increase in size for a moderate increase in firepower. The second Death Star is a part of this trend.
Yeah, that's good and all. But that's not really what Hidalgo and company were interested in. As far as they're concerned, the technology and actual capabilities of the Star Wars universe aren't terribly important as long as it's generally consistent within the universe. Telling stories and preserving a shared continuity were more important, and for whatever reason, they didn't care to go with a larger number, perhaps from a simple lack of ability to properly visualize it-- it can be difficult to imagine such large sizes. That's why charts such as this are helpful-- they help with that.

(And really... isn't 900km somewhat incredible compared to 160? That would be slightly smaller than the Unicron sphere in that picture...)
I understand why they did it, but that doesn't mean that we have to accept said number. Wasn't he also a figure in the 3 million clones issue?

I would actually halfway agree with the low numbers for things like population(only 1 trillion on Coruscant, though there are likely far more in the transient population that are not permanent residents). But the industrial potential of Star Wars is among the most powerful in science fiction.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

We can do one of two things:

--Either accept that as far as Lucasfilm is concerned, the number they have given is canon for purposes of debate. We can find ways to rationalize this-- for example, perhaps the briefing display exaggerated the size of the DSII relative to the moon for clarity. 3 million clones is actually the first batch and they weren't expecting to have to make more, or something.

--Or refuse to accept the conventional canon and go with what we've worked out ourselves. Likely to be more accurate, but not as likely to be accepted in debate. "Yeah that looks fine BUT IT'S NOT CANON therefore I won't accept it". You would not believe how much of an ass people can be about that.

I don't really care about it that much as I don't bother debating these days, so it's not really an issue for me.
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

Enigma wrote:Still no Dahakverse battle moons. :(
What are you talking about? It's right there on the bottom of the picture where it says "Moon"!

:lol:
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

A label seems to have come adrift somewhere; anyone know what that big sphere-with-a-ring in the middle is? In between the is-that-supposed-to-be-a-TARDIS and the Big Green Thing, and partly superimposed over the Halo ring?

Hold on, I found it, tucked away in an unobvious corner. That's Unicron? Doesn't quite match the mental image I had from the descriptions I've read.

<looks closer> Deary deary me, some of those spalling mistooks...
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

SpottedKitty wrote:A label seems to have come adrift somewhere; anyone know what that big sphere-with-a-ring in the middle is? In between the is-that-supposed-to-be-a-TARDIS and the Big Green Thing, and partly superimposed over the Halo ring?

Hold on, I found it, tucked away in an unobvious corner. That's Unicron? Doesn't quite match the mental image I had from the descriptions I've read.

Yea, that's Unicron's planet mode. It's not usually oriented that way, though- the claw/horns at the top are normally at the side in that mode.

Here's some good shots:

Drawing

From the movie
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Well Our moon Luna is on that chart so Dahak himself is there. Or something the size of an Utu class planetoid.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Typhonis 1 wrote:
Well Our moon Luna is on that chart so Dahak himself is there. Or something the size of an Utu class planetoid.
Isn't Dahak one of the smaller ones? (Before he transferred himself into one of the larger moons.)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, I think (but don't quote me on it) that Dahak was supposed to be like ~500km in diameter, and the Moon is something like 3,000 km. Bit of a disparity there. The General Command (or whatever) planetoid was their largest IIRC, being something like... 54,000 km diameter? I may have a decimal point off there...
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

I wonder where the Beast Planet is from Shadow Raiders?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Elheru Aran wrote:Yeah, I think (but don't quote me on it) that Dahak was supposed to be like ~500km in diameter, and the Moon is something like 3,000 km. Bit of a disparity there. The General Command (or whatever) planetoid was their largest IIRC, being something like... 54,000 km diameter? I may have a decimal point off there...
According to Keen320, and he quotes, "It's the size of the moon, -160km of diameter, which is made up for by covering it with an 80km shell of the lunar surface to disguise it."
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So it's quite literally 3,300km across. That's a big ship.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Typhonis 1 wrote:I wonder where the Beast Planet is from Shadow Raiders?
Far too big to be on a chart of lunar scale objects?

The Beast Planet is roughly gas giant sized.