alien 5 Hicks returns

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

dragon
Sith Marauder

alien 5 Hicks returns

Post by dragon »

oh no
In 1979, Ridley Scott brought the Xenomorph (which would become one of the most famous and horrific science fiction monsters of all time) to the big screen in his film Alien. James Cameron took over for the sequel Aliens, ramping up the action and introducing Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) to Colonial Marine Corporal Dwayne Hicks (Michael Biehn) and Newt (Carrie Henn), a child who survived an alien attack on her colony.

Biehn has been rumored to reprise the role in Alien 5, joining Sigourney Weaver in director Neill Blomkamp’s upcoming entry in the series. The character was thought to be dead at the beginning of Alien 3, when the escape ship carrying himself, Ripley and Newt crashes and Ripley is pronounced the only survivor. That decision has long been derided for ending Hicks’ storyline too abruptly, and the concept art released by Blomkamp seems to confirm the director agrees: Hicks’ story isn’t over.

The most recent concept art released online by Blomkamp (see below) clearly features Hicks alongside Ripley. In continuity, the photo must take place after the events of Aliens, as Hicks’ face was disfigured at the end of that film by the Xenomorph’s acidic blood.

In 1979, Ridley Scott brought the Xenomorph (which would become one of the most famous and horrific science fiction monsters of all time) to the big screen in his film Alien. James Cameron took over for the sequel Aliens, ramping up the action and introducing Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) to Colonial Marine Corporal Dwayne Hicks (Michael Biehn) and Newt (Carrie Henn), a child who survived an alien attack on her colony.

Biehn has been rumored to reprise the role in Alien 5, joining Sigourney Weaver in director Neill Blomkamp’s upcoming entry in the series. The character was thought to be dead at the beginning of Alien 3, when the escape ship carrying himself, Ripley and Newt crashes and Ripley is pronounced the only survivor. That decision has long been derided for ending Hicks’ storyline too abruptly, and the concept art released by Blomkamp seems to confirm the director agrees: Hicks’ story isn’t over.

The most recent concept art released online by Blomkamp (see below) clearly features Hicks alongside Ripley. In continuity, the photo must take place after the events of Aliens, as Hicks’ face was disfigured at the end of that film by the Xenomorph’s acidic blood.

The biggest question about the decision to include Corporal Hicks in the film is how the continuity of the universe is laid out. In the beginning of Alien 3, Hicks is said to have died in a crash landing. However, the events of the 2013 video game Aliens: Colonial Marines revealed that Hicks was never in the crashed ship. Instead, he had been awoken from stasis to help fend off an attack from Weyland-Yutani mercenaries. During the ensuing battle, Ripley and Newt are accidentally ejected from the ship, crashing onto the planet Fiorina 161, the planet where Alien 3 takes place.

It seems unlikely that Blomkamp is going to want to include events from the game in his story, considering the poor critical reception for Colonial Marines. Still, the game does set a precedent for the character’s survival in the series. It seems that Alien 5 may also re-examine the crash and reveal that Hicks was never killed in the first place. After the franchise’s recent lackluster offerings, it’s hard to imagine any fans would complain if Hicks was brought back with minimal backstory.

Blomkmap has previously gone on the record stating that he considers his film to be a successor to Aliens – calling it “the genetic sibling of Aliens” – and as such the timeline would be “Alien, Aliens, and then this movie.” However, with the obvious aging of the characters, it would be hard to imagine that this film somehow took place between Aliens and Alien 3. He’s also told media outlets like AlloCiné that he doesn’t want to undo the events of the last two Alien movies:

“My favorites are the first two movies, so I want to make a film that’s connected to ‘Alien’ and ‘Aliens’. That’s my goal. I’m not trying to undo ‘Alien 3′ or ‘Alien: Resurrection.’ I just want it to be connected to ‘Alien 1′ and ‘2’.”

Hicks has been repeatedly showing up in the concept art for Alien 5, so it’s more likely than not that we’ll be seeing him in the upcoming film. While Blomkamp can’t remove Alien 3 from continuity, the safest bet is that Hicks will be ret-conned to have survived the crash that begins the film. There are certainly other possibilities (some kind of cloning experiment a la how Ripley returned in Alien: Resurrection?), so feel free to share your own theories below.
link
In a post on his Instagram account, the director stated that his next movie will indeed be an entry into the Alien franchise:

Shortly after Blomkamp shared his news, sources from Variety confirmed that Fox has closed a deal with him to call the shots on a new Alien movie. So anyone who thought that the Instagram image was nothing more than Blomkamp’s wishful thinking need not take those grains of salt. This is really happening.

With a new Alien film so early in development, it’s also impossible to say what exactly the plot will entail. Blomkamp’s post, however exciting it may be, is scarce on other details. Weaver’s previous quotes would indicate that the Ellen Ripley character will be involved in some capacity, but right now only Blomkamp knows what her next mission could be. However, story details could emerge shortly, given that Fox has put this project on the fast track.

Though it looks like Alien 5 has come together rather quickly, there has been talk about the possibilities of such a film for a while. Weaver has gone on record stating that she thought there was still more story to tell and that longtime fans of the franchise would want to see her character’s (Ellen Ripley) arc completed in a new installment, following the events of Alien: Resurrection. Whether those were clues that this news was on the horizon or not, Weaver seems to be getting her wish granted.

The one question on everyone’s minds will be how this new film relates to Ridley Scott’s Prometheus 2, which is coming through the pipeline for a possible 2016 release. As we’ve speculated before, the two movies will co-exist and not cancel each other out. Justin Kroll of Variety tweeted that Alien 5 is a separate entity, and the Prometheus sequel is still happening. It seems that Fox has another blossoming shared cinematic universe to go with its Marvel Comics properties.

Now that it’s officially happening, Alien 5 is just the latest film in a long list of productions that will look to revive long-dormant Hollywood franchises and introduce them to a new generation of moviegoers. The box office numbers for 2015 will be a strong indicator as to how long this trend will go on, but given the levels of excitement surrounding some of these films, there is a strong chance that this business strategy proves to be as successful as the superhero movies. Some may frown upon the studios returning to the well after so many years, but if a creative eye like Blomkamp is behind the camera, we doubt too many will complain.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: alien 5 Hicks returns

Post by Iroscato »

Good. 3 and Resurrection were shite. Time to get the Aliens franchise back on track with a worthy sequel. Whether Blomkamp can deliver such remains to be seen, but personally I'm all in favour of wiping those trainwrecks from existence.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

As a rule, I don't like the idea of basically erasing films from continuity because people don't like them. It feels lazy (they're saying "that didn't happen" rather than trying to fix what they have to work with) and petty and insulting to other film makers to effectively override and dismiss their work. Especially if its done to pander to the whiny fanboy crowd, because their will be people whining whatever you do and if we listened to them Doctor Who would have ended when David Tenant left.

Edit: I would accept an explicit reboot/alternate reality.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

The Romulan Republic wrote:As a rule, I don't like the idea of basically erasing films from continuity because people don't like them.
Agreed, while a film may be poorly produced, full of budget problems, executive meddling, whiney actors with producer creds, etc. It was made, it was in theaters, people saw it.

Trying to whitewash a bad film away is an insult to those who made the 'bad' film, and it confuses laymen not familiar with the material (I for see a dozen threads by many new posters asking "How does Alien 5 fit into Alien 3?")
It feels lazy (they're saying "that didn't happen" rather than trying to fix what they have to work with)
What 'do' they have to work with?

Ripleymorph (remember Ripley 8 is part Xeno) on a ruined devastated Earth, Walmart owns Wey-Yu's Bioweapons division. And the United Systems Military is interested in experimenting with Xenos (Ostensibly like getting cancer cures from sharks.)

...Oh and there's the apparent fact that Xenomorphs are "extinct" hence going through all the trouble of cloning Ripley from a discarded tampon.
After the pseudo-quel Prometheus?

A reboot would never effectively capture the same aura of the first two films, best case would be a shot for shot with a tech upgrade (replace Nostromos' CRT's with LED touchscreens, etc.)

Problem is nobody does 'shot for shot' they want their own mark, justifiably so. Nothing wrong with a new space survival horror film that pays homage but is it's own distinct piece.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Disclaimer: I have not seen any Alien film after the second one in its entirety (unless you count the mediocre to horrible Alien vs. Predator films). I was speaking theoretically/generally about my thoughts on treating films as non-canon. So I'll concede that it is possible that the later Alien films screwed up so badly as to be unsalvageable, requiring that they be treated as non-canon.

Edit: Or that the franchise be entirely rebooted, though it seems a shame to throw out the first two.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Though I would say that there is nothing in this quote that sounds terribly bad to me other than the tampon thing, which just sounds strange.
FedRebel wrote:What 'do' they have to work with?

Ripleymorph (remember Ripley 8 is part Xeno) on a ruined devastated Earth, Walmart owns Wey-Yu's Bioweapons division. And the United Systems Military is interested in experimenting with Xenos (Ostensibly like getting cancer cures from sharks.)

...Oh and there's the apparent fact that Xenomorphs are "extinct" hence going through all the trouble of cloning Ripley from a discarded tampon.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

As a rule, I don't like the idea of basically erasing films from continuity because people don't like them. It feels lazy (they're saying "that didn't happen" rather than trying to fix what they have to work with) and petty and insulting to other film makers to effectively override and dismiss their work.
One could argue that David Fincher and Joss Whedon would be perfectly fine with the rest of us ignoring this time in their lives.
This may be exactly what Alien 5 is - we don't know enough about the plot to see what Blomkamp's doing with the characters yet to know if he is chucking Alien 3 and 4. Ridley Scott also signed on as producer for Alien 5, and is working with Neil to see to it that his film meshes with future chapers of Prometheus.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Disclaimer: I have not seen any Alien film after the second one in its entirety (unless you count the mediocre to horrible Alien vs. Predator films). I was speaking theoretically/generally about my thoughts on treating films as non-canon. So I'll concede that it is possible that the later Alien films screwed up so badly as to be unsalvageable, requiring that they be treated as non-canon.

Edit: Or that the franchise be entirely rebooted, though it seems a shame to throw out the first two.
This is fantastic. If you're willing, I would ask you NOT to watch Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection until after you've seen Alien 5, and then you can give us a non-biased opinion on Alien 5 on whether the continuity works or not from the first two movies.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

TOSDOC wrote:One could argue that David Fincher and Joss Whedon would be perfectly fine with the rest of us ignoring this time in their lives.
I have heard that Whedon, at least, was not happy with how the Alien film he worked on turned out. But I have no knowledge of Fincher's thoughts on the subject. I'd be interested to here them.
This may be exactly what Alien 5 is - we don't know enough about the plot to see what Blomkamp's doing with the characters yet to know if he is chucking Alien 3 and 4. Ridley Scott also signed on as producer for Alien 5, and is working with Neil to see to it that his film meshes with future chapers of Prometheus.
Acting as if 3 and 4 never happened wouldn't be a reboot or alternate reality. It would be the same continuity except pretending the parts they don't want never happened. It would be a massive continuity error. Or at least that's how I see it. I guess you could call it a partial reboot.
This is fantastic. If you're willing, I would ask you NOT to watch Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection until after you've seen Alien 5, and then you can give us a non-biased opinion on Alien 5 on whether the continuity works or not from the first two movies.
Well, it won't be completely unbiased because I do have some knowledge of 3 and Resurrection, but this is otherwise quite possible, as I have no imminent plans to see 3 or Resurrection.

Though to be honest, I'm a bit uncertain of seeing 5 at all, because I've seen two Blomkamp films and I only liked one of them.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Eliminating Alien3 works reasonably well by just treating it as a coldsleep nightmare. It has everything Ripley is terrified of happening, packed into each other no matter how little sense it makes. The stark environment, thin and static characters, and symbolism of large portions of it just makes that fit even better.

Show the end of Alien3, have Ripley wake up, exposit what has actually happened, roll credits. Problem solved.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

I have heard that Whedon, at least, was not happy with how the Alien film he worked on turned out. But I have no knowledge of Fincher's thoughts on the subject. I'd be interested to here them.
Here was one instance I read about it. Not a shunning of his work, but definitely regret it couldn't have been more to his liking.

https://mossfilm.wordpress.com/2012/10/ ... her-talks/
Eliminating Alien3 works reasonably well by just treating it as a coldsleep nightmare. It has everything Ripley is terrified of happening, packed into each other no matter how little sense it makes. The stark environment, thin and static characters, and symbolism of large portions of it just makes that fit even better.

Show the end of Alien3, have Ripley wake up, exposit what has actually happened, roll credits. Problem solved.
I think that would be just fine. I'm sure there's concern for the precedent this might create in disregarding other films of other franchises should they choose to do it, but this happens to be a franchise where something like that could succeed beyond expectations.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

This sounds pretty cool, especially if they bring Michael Biehn back along with Sigourney Weaver. You'd have to adjust the storyline to reflect their age, but that wouldn't be impossible - you'd just come up with some younger co-stars to star alongside them, and have Biehn be part of the group that retrieves Ripley.

And yeah, I'm fine with them retconning away the bad third and fourth films, although the "dream" idea is pretty cool as well.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Interestingly, stuff quoted in the OP suggests that they won't be discarding 3 and 4. Not sure how that'll work though.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

What was wrong with Alien3? :wtf:

Granted, I saw it a long time ago, but I remember it being interesting take on the continuation of the series, unique setting, unlikely protagonists, Aliens being really dangerous and sneaky again without being 'in your face' pretty harmless berserker threat from Aliens, and Ripley closing the storyline with one last attempt to get rid of aliens as she was dead anyway, as was everyone who ever know her. It was fitting way to go, without forced happy ending or cavalry arriving at last moment.

Could A3 be better? Maybe. But calling it a bad movie is a disservice, IMHO.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Irbis wrote:What was wrong with Alien3? :wtf:
Dull depressing tedious low budget crap with completely phoned in performances, script and production values. I fully endorse erasing that crap from continuity for the same reason that Superman Returns ignored Superman III and IV (personally I kind of liked III but IV was awful).

The question of whether Alien Resurrection is in continuity is literally irrelevant. Alien Resurrection is set 200 years after the first three movies and features a clone of the original protagonist. As such whether you consider it canon or not, it places no real constraints on what can happen in a direct sequel to Aliens.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

A new alien film was inevitable with the increasing trend of remakes of old hits.

The back and forth bullshit about wanting to squeeze a film between Aliens and Alien 3 without overriding anything while SPECIFICALLY overriding Hicks not being dead leaves me not interested. The contrived story that is going to be born from that premise will be shit without fail.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

They could always use something like Colonial Marines' excuse. Weyland-Yutani overtakes the Sulaco, pulls out Hicks and falsifies the body/pod records.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Congratulations. You now have Ricks. So-how do you explain them also having Ripley? (And have fun trying to do an Alien movie that doesn't).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I think of all scenarios, having Alien 3 be a dream sequence (as cliche as that is) is still the best choice. Everything else is the kind of conspiracy-theory evil corporate / government secret plan™ stuff you normally find in B movies.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Starglider wrote:
Irbis wrote:What was wrong with Alien3? :wtf:
Dull depressing tedious low budget crap with completely phoned in performances, script and production values. I fully endorse erasing that crap from continuity for the same reason that Superman Returns ignored Superman III and IV (personally I kind of liked III but IV was awful).
It really is amazing to me how divisive Alien 3 is. I thought the performances were fantastic, especially from Sigourney Weaver and Charles Dutton. Also, the acting in Alien3 was much closer to the acting in the original Alien - that is, it felt very organic, very subdued and natural, even ad-libbed perhaps - i.e. very un-Hollywoodish and more like documentary footage. The setting was unrelentingly drab, yeah, but the drab setting combined with the condemned prisoners (and the giant furnaces and labyrinthine tunnels) gave the whole thing a really weighty, apocalyptic feel. Anyway, I think the movie is highly underrated. Its main problems were really shitty early-90s CGI (which was fortunately limited to a few shots where they needed to show the alien darting around rapidly), and it also suffered from production issues - (I think the original storyline where they successfully capture the alien, but then some delusional prisoner purposely releases it, was better than what they went with in the theatrical release...)

I can understand why people would hate it for killing off Newt and Hicks as if they were an afterthought. But, you know... it's just one of those things that you either accept or you don't. Although I like Hicks, I think killing him off (along with Newt) worked to establish the Universe as this cold, nihilistic place, wherein Ripley was condemned (like the rest of the prisoners) and everyone she knew was gone ... yet she still decides to defiantly sacrifice herself for the greater good at the end. I thought it was a great way to end the series... although again, it's definitely not your typical Hollywood ending so I can understand why a lot of people hated it.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Starglider wrote:Dull
So would be first Alien if you saw it as third movie.
depressing
How dare they make horror movie (in a series that questioned human morals and shown what humans will do for profits and substantial GNP increase from the beginning) depressing. Also, 'All we really like is what we know' :lol:
tedious
So was Alien once novelty wore off.
low budget
So was Alien.
completely phoned in performances
You know, maybe it's hard for me to judge accurately due to language barrier, but what the fuck you expected from bunch of barely educated prisoners? Shakespearean performances? :lol:

Virtually all of the above can be applied to Alien, the only difference being chronological order. Though, if you think about it, Alien was less original, too, there are million stories about brave ship crews of all eras, so 3 gets bonus points from me for breaking mould on a lot of homogenized Hollywood crap on how protagonists, plot and setting should be like.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Irbis wrote:
Starglider wrote:Dull
So would be first Alien if you saw it as third movie.
Fun(ish) fact: I saw Alien after Aliens. Bored the crap out of me.

-

Also, Alien 5 would hardly be the first sequel to ignore previous films in its franchise as well. Die Hard ignores its second movie after. Each fresh sequel in Highlander ignored all the others. And so on. Without even a handwave. Any 'dangerous precedent' has already been set.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Well believe it or not, the endings to the first two Alien movies were actually somewhat Hollywood-ish endings. You had Ripley surviving the Alien then going to sleep in the lifepod with her kitty, waiting to be picked up. Then in Aliens, she went back to face her fears and ended up destroying them. Along the way she adopted a girl who helped to heal the pain of the loss of her daughter, and met an attractive man who helped her carry the burden. Alien 3 just shit all over that.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Borgholio wrote:Alien 3 just shit all over that.
That wasn't the problem. The last five minutes of Alien 3 were by far the strongest part of the film. The second strongest part was the first 5 minutes, which at least was a significant twist on the expected premise. The problem was the intervening 135 minutes.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Starglider wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Alien 3 just shit all over that.
That wasn't the problem. The last five minutes of Alien 3 were by far the strongest part of the film. The second strongest part was the first 5 minutes, which at least was a significant twist on the expected premise. The problem was the intervening 135 minutes.
135 minutes? It felt like much much longer.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The first five minutes? Yeah it was unexpected, but that's because it involved killing off characters for no other reason than it allowed them to make a very not-Aliens Aliens movie, probably because that's all the had the talent for to do. Then rode the coat tails of a loved and well made sequel to get people in the theater and their first move was to shotgun every character in the face to make way for a pile of shit. WHAT A TWIST!!!

That said I'd watch 3 a thousand times before I subject myself to Resurrection or whatever its called again.