How would you re-cast Stargate SG-1?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

RedLocque
Redshirt

How would you re-cast Stargate SG-1?

Post by RedLocque »

So, if by any chance, Stargate got the same treatment BSG got and was re-imagined into an actually good show ( :roll: :wink: ), which actors would be your choice to portray SG-1?

Here are my (tentative) choices:

Jack: he is probably the one I have the most problems finding a good fit for; I am ambivalent when it comes to Jack O'Neill. I guess for me, it would have to be one of these two, Jim Caviezel or Gerard Butler.

Sam: Anna Torv, all the way.

Daniel: for him I am partial to Jamie Bamber.

Teal'c: I have to say I think Will Smith would be great as this engineered human General turned rebel. He buffed it up for Ali, he could do it for Stargate as well.

What do you think?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: How would you re-cast Stargate SG-1?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

1. SG-1 was good. Shut up.

2. Good luck getting Gerard Butler and Will Smith to appear on a TV show's budget.

3. Jamie Bamber as Daniel is...plausible, I'll give you that.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Perhaps oddly, I don't think the main SG-1 team is the problem. Don S Davis as Hammond of Texas is the truly irreplaceable role.

Stephen Amell would make a good Daniel Jackson. Michael Welch might also be a good pick, who ironically played young O'Neill in Season 7.

Garret Dillahunt would make an excellent O'Neill. He's the right age for a colonel, has the right look, and his acting chops are top-notch.

Cobie Smulders would make a good Carter, I think.

Teal'c could go to a pretty wide variety of actors very easily; it's one of those roles that needs physical presence first, and can be interpreted by the actor in myriad different ways. It needn't try to match anything Christopher Judge did, since so much of Judge's portrayal was unique to that SG-1.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah, you're right, replacing Davis would be impossible.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

RedLocque wrote:So, if by any chance, Stargate got the same treatment BSG got and was re-imagined into an actually good show ( :roll: :wink: ), which actors would be your choice to portray SG-1?
What do you think?
I think that your mother dropped you on your head as a small child.

Whatever tiny flaws SG1 had are the result of poor writing, the cast were excellent.

I would however drag the writing team for SGU out back of the barn and put them out of their misery with a double barreled shotgun. How the fuck you procure the services of someone of Robert Carlyle's calibre then completely waste his talents on teen emo bullshit is completely beyond me.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Redlocque, what, may I ask makes you say SG1 was not a good show already?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
RedLocque
Redshirt

Post by RedLocque »

Ok, let me clarify. In my personal opinion, Stargate (and please lets keep in mind I did watch and have done so again all seasons of this show) was a poor tv-show, since I believe it could have been written and portrayed sooo much better. But again, in my personal opinion, it wasn't as good as it could have been.

Darth Nostril (and I'll refrain from making any comments whatsoever on your chosen monicker): If you disagree with me, say so. If you find my personal opinion on a subject offensive, it was not my intention. Disagreeing, however, no matter how strongly does NOT give you the right to be offensive nor to mention my family in any way. Please refrain from demonstrating your absolute lack of manners by spewing offensive comments which no one has requested.

Chimaera: Maybe it's a question of flavors. I was much more enthralled by Farscape and the new iteration of Battlestar Glactica than I ever was by Stargate. I actually love the concept. I think the premise of the show is sheer genius and from season 1 to the end of the show it was ten times better than the motion picture. But sadly, regardless of how amazing the idea was from a science fiction point of view, the actual show was total camp. Campy to Nth power. It even gave Star Trek TOS a run for its money where the alien/s of the week were concerned.
Stargate also had many great moments and ieas, which regretfully were never truly developed.

Once again, I never intended to offend anybody's sensibilities. I just wanted to know what other fans of the show would do differently (castwise) if given a chance.

Red
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Protip: I really wouldn't try that "you're not being very nice to me" line here, it doesn't fly.

Now, you've stated that you think Stargate was not as good as it could have been and that it was camp. Now, being camp doesn't equate to being bad. Fine, you like Farscape more. But why, without referring to other series was Stargate SG-1/Atlantis bad?

There is little point talking about a re-make of a major sci-fi franchise when its only been off the air for less than a decade. BSG worked because it was a single season 30+ years before the remake.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Why is their little point in talking about a remake? Actually producing one, yes, waste of time and money, but I was under the impression that 'what if' scenarios are part and parcel of what these fora are about. And while I personally believe you have to be stark raving mad to think nBSG (which had me rooting for the Cylons by the end of the mini) is better than SG-1/SGA (arguably the most successful TV SciFi franchise of all time, SGU notwithstanding) if RedLocque wants to ask how you'd recast the crew (and I too can't think of a way to properly recast Hammond of Texas) especially as RDA, at least, hasn't aged well if SGU is anything to go by, what's the harm?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Yeah...I just googled Dean Anderson 2014 and almost burst into tears...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Replace Don S. Davis? How about R. Lee Ermy?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Batman, you're right, I should have been clearer. Yes, speculation is fine.

And damn, RDA really hasn't aged well.

And R Lee Ermy as a USAF General? Good luck getting Gunny to agree to that!

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Well, he did play the Commander-in-Chief once.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah, once. I can't see him committing to a long-term role as a USAF officer. Unless of course you change the role so it's a Marine Corps officer. Plus, I can't see him playing an officer long term (yes I know he was a USAF Colonle in the Simpsons once).

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I'd pick the same cast but I would dub their voices over using the voices from Spongebob Squarepants. Just imagine it for a moment.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I hate you :D

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Purple I'm approximately 17 seconds away from reactivating The List.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Yeah, once. I can't see him committing to a long-term role as a USAF officer. Unless of course you change the role so it's a Marine Corps officer. Plus, I can't see him playing an officer long term (yes I know he was a USAF Colonle in the Simpsons once).
tbh I couldn't see R. Lee Ermy as a flag officer, field commander sure, but I just can't see him being able to play someone capable of handling the administrive or political side of being a general, regardless of the branch of service.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Yeah, once. I can't see him committing to a long-term role as a USAF officer. Unless of course you change the role so it's a Marine Corps officer. Plus, I can't see him playing an officer long term (yes I know he was a USAF Colonle in the Simpsons once).
This is something I wondered about. Since SG commandos often form a vanguard to penetrate into potentially hostile territory, wouldn't Marines (or hell, special forces) be more suitable for the job anyway?

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah, which is why, in the early series at least, SG-3 were all Marines.

You're right though. I always wondered why they didn't whistle up the Seals or Delta Force or whomever. Or, hell, in later seasons when they had the whole international cooperation stuff going on, borrow some SAS guys or similar.

Then again, it's made quite clear in numerous episodes that Jack is not a typical USAF Colonel, since most of his career was in special forces (he says as much in the very first episode, some joke about how if he ever wrote a book about his career, he'd have to shoot anyone that actually read it).

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Metahive wrote:
This is something I wondered about. Since SG commandos often form a vanguard to penetrate into potentially hostile territory, wouldn't Marines (or hell, special forces) be more suitable for the job anyway?
well technically they sourced from USAF special forces, that said it was in a USAF installation as they govern the USA nuclear weapons arsenal and the gate was located in an old nuke base (maybe even in one of the silos).

in-universe it would be juristication conflict and possible ego issue for the USAF as well.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Um-the SGC uses Marines all the time when they need more firepower and warm bodies and since the Marine Corps is a lot bigger than the special forces community, I suspect a Marine platoon or three being incommunicado for a week or seven would draw a lot less attention than one of the special forces units. The SGC is a secret operation even within the US military.

First one to see the painfully obvious flaw with this gets a positively indigestible cookie because I baked it myself.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I think most of the cast was fine aside from RDA as O'neill. Compare to the original Stargate movie with Kurt Russell as a semi-suicidal hard-ass who is just starting to feel human again after his son's death, RDA's O'neill was a goof-off who never really took anything seriously. It kinda got under my skin how childish he was at some times. Night and day when you compare the two portrayals.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Blasphemer, your entrails shall be sacrificed at the shrine of St. Mac Guyver by midnight!

That being said I'm glad they didn't go with Mr.Joyless for the series. Snarky O'Neil was simply more fun to watch for me.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

You gotta be fucking kidding me. RDA was perfect as O'Neill. The only reason that at best mediocre Stargate movie deserves to exist is because it resulted in the SG franchise.

And It's O'Neill. Two ls. He kinda insists on it.