What is the canon of Doctor Who?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

What is the canon of Doctor Who?

Post by Enigma »

Is it just the T.V. series considered canon? Is the radio plays also part of canon? What of the books and comics?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: What is the canon of Doctor Who?

Post by Batman »

I'm not sure there is an official canon but the general consensus seems to be TV only.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

For sure the TV series and 1996 movies. There are some shorts that are likewise considered cannon, including those surrounding the 50th anniversary. One of them, the one with Paul McGann which is cannon references the Big Finish audio programs of his Doctor which implies they're cannon to some degree. There is an animated story featuring the 10th Doctor that is probably cannon.

The Cushing movies are not considered cannon. The EU books are not considered cannon until their plots/storylines are incorporated into the TV show. Not entirely sure about the comics.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I just read somewhere that there isn't a canon policy set by the BBC. While they are the primary owner of the DWU, they do not have ownership of everything in it.

Would it be easier to say that anything licensed or produced by the BBC is canon?

Oh and Broomstick? "Canon" not "cannon". By your definition, nothing of DW can be cannon since it isn't a metal tube used to fire balls of stone or iron. ;) Heehee.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

While I'm relieved I'm not the one who had to bring up the canon/cannon issue, um-laser cannon, turbolaser cannon, ion cannon, plasma cannon, transform cannon...
I think the 'cannon' definition of 'fires bigass physical projectiles by way of chemical explosives' definition of cannon went the way of the Dodo a long time ago at least for SciFi.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

holy mindless pedantry batman!

And every bit of fiction ever is canon to Doctor Who. Except Noddy. Props to evilsoup for introducing me to that blog. Which argues that there is no canon for Doctor Who at all. It's not something the producers even think about.

Still effectively yes its the TVshow. Though writers will bring in anything else from any where else they want and reference in their episodes. The Eighth Doctor's regeneration episode referenced all his audio series companions for ecample
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Me. Being mindlessly pedantric. I'm sorry, did you read my username?

And call me silly but wouldn't anything imported into the TV series be part of TV series canon?
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well, it makes sense that everything counts within the context of the show. You have time travel, you have parallel universes, you have paradoxes, you have multiple timelines occurring in the same universe without causing a paradox or a timeloop, you have fixed points, unfixed points, time locks, the list goes on and on...

I think the Doctor sums up the canon best: it's a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey whimey... stuff.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I asked this of BBC a few years back and they gave a vague answer that its what you want it to be. In other words like Russell T Davies answer.

Now just because you have time travel, doesn't necessarily preclude things from being canon, the same way a historical figure existed and still performed actions even though they are now dead. Events happened, but where undone. That however still makes a particular story useful for assessing technology for example (unless the story specifically involved losing such technology). So for example if the TARDIS did such and such a feat in a story which a future story rendered did not happen, its still reasonable to assume the TARDIS can still perform that action.

In any event its still relatively easy to reconcile some contradictions like the several different methods which Atlantis was destroyed - ALTERNATE TIMELINE FOR THE WIN. Yeah the Doctor just arrived in an alternative timeline for one of these stories (not sure which one). :D The events are canon in that other timeline.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

My concept of it is rather like the old SW system - everything is canon but the TV series/1996 film/associated shorts are top dog. Stuff in books etc still "happened" unless contradicted, directly or otherwise by the TV series.

And since the new series is a continuation rather than a reboot, the new series and the old series are equal in terms of canon.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:My concept of it is rather like the old SW system - everything is canon but the TV series/1996 film/associated shorts are top dog. Stuff in books etc still "happened" unless contradicted, directly or otherwise by the TV series.

And since the new series is a continuation rather than a reboot, the new series and the old series are equal in terms of canon.
Even that is too strong. There is no canon at all.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Hence why I said it was "my concept."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:My concept of it is rather like the old SW system - everything is canon but the TV series/1996 film/associated shorts are top dog. Stuff in books etc still "happened" unless contradicted, directly or otherwise by the TV series.

How can you be sure that if something is contradicted, even directly in the TV series it's the series actually saying it did not happen as opposed to the series saying that it might have not happened or that it might have happened but one of the myriads of time travel situations undid it?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Everything is canon. Nothing is true.

Oh, wait, that's a different long-running British SF series.

Seriously though, they occasionally can't keep their history consistent for a single episode, I'm pretty sure their canon policy is something like "Don't worry too much about it, bro."
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Purple wrote:

How can you be sure that if something is contradicted, even directly in the TV series it's the series actually saying it did not happen as opposed to the series saying that it might have not happened or that it might have happened but one of the myriads of time travel situations undid it?
Perhaps a better way to explain this is as a set of filters. If I want to decide (for my own curiosity's sake, I would like to stress that this is purely my own internal system) then I ask a few questions.

1. Is it depicted in an episode/webisode/etc of the classic or new TV series?
2. If not, is it mentioned in an episode of same?
3. If not, is it depicted in a book?
4. If not, is it mentioned in a book?

Generally, the fewer "no's" I get as answers, the more likely it is that that event "really happened." For things in the books, there's an extra question I ask, "Is this account at odds with something seen/mentioned in the TV series?" If the answer is yes, I will tend to adopt the TV version of events as what "really happened."

Of course, there aren't many apparent contradictions I know of that don't have a reasonable explanation that is covered in a book, for example Gallifrey being destroyed during the 8th Doctor books was a possible future or somesuch.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Purple wrote:

Perhaps a better way to explain this is as a set of filters. If I want to decide (for my own curiosity's sake, I would like to stress that this is purely my own internal system) then I ask a few questions.

1. Is it depicted in an episode/webisode/etc of the classic or new TV series?
2. If not, is it mentioned in an episode of same?
3. If not, is it depicted in a book?
4. If not, is it mentioned in a book?

Generally, the fewer "no's" I get as answers, the more likely it is that that event "really happened." For things in the books, there's an extra question I ask, "Is this account at odds with something seen/mentioned in the TV series?" If the answer is yes, I will tend to adopt the TV version of events as what "really happened."

Of course, there aren't many apparent contradictions I know of that don't have a reasonable explanation that is covered in a book, for example Gallifrey being destroyed during the 8th Doctor books was a possible future or somesuch.
You missed the point of what I was trying to say.

Basically, how can you be sure that something has not happened as opposed to it having happened but than being undone by some time traveling that happened in between than and the episode that contradicts it. I would always lean toward the later unless it's specifically mentioned that it's a fixed point or some such.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

If it's been undone then as far as the greater universe is concerned it didn't happen.

It's a good point, but ultimately if it isn't in the TV series I'm fairly uninterested.

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Batman wrote:While I'm relieved I'm not the one who had to bring up the canon/cannon issue, um-laser cannon, turbolaser cannon, ion cannon, plasma cannon, transform cannon...
I think the 'cannon' definition of 'fires bigass physical projectiles by way of chemical explosives' definition of cannon went the way of the Dodo a long time ago at least for SciFi.
I always go with "A canon is a policy on what is official in a body of fiction. A cannon is a large gun."
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Is there a point behind the image spam?
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Crazedwraith wrote:Is there a point behind the image spam?
The first image shows the Blathereen (or rather the Slitheen-Blathereen), originally appearing in the book "The Monsters Inside".
Next show the Men in Black, originally appearing in the animation "Dreamland".
Next shows the Graske, originally appearing in the game "Attack of the Graske".
Next shows the oncoming storm, with the doctor originally being called that in the book "Love and War".
Next shows the Eighth Doctor reciting his companions from the Big Finish Audio Adventures.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

And? So? Therefore? What is your point?

These are things from non-TV things that ended up TV episodes. Great. Do you think that means all the secondary things are canon? or not?

Cos as people have said. There is no canon the writers pull in anything they want from any where. That doesn't say much about canon.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Crazedwraith wrote:And? So? Therefore? What is your point?

These are things from non-TV things that ended up TV episodes. Great. Do you think that means all the secondary things are canon? or not?

Cos as people have said. There is no canon the writers pull in anything they want from any where. That doesn't say much about canon.
If two media are mutally referencing each other that's a good indication that they are in the same continuity (and I assume I don't need to prove to you those other media also reference the TV shows).
As for doctor who not having a canon, how about this then:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... _who.shtml
Players will encounter new and original monsters, in stories which form part of the overall Doctor Who canon.
The Adventure Games also shares mutual references with the TV show via Asylum of the Daleks.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

There is a canon, its just that they didn't define it very specific. But generally I would consider a secondary source being referenced by a primary one as closer to canon. For example the events of the Apocalypse element are referenced in the DW annual. So it would most probably be ranked higher than an audio which wasn't referenced.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.