Godzilla trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Re: Godzilla trailer

Post by Metahive »

How complicated can it be to design a fighting style involving slashing, biting and occasional fire-breathin'? I always get leery-eyed when filmmakers try to introduce "realism" and "verisimilitude" when the movie is about something as unrealistic as a 500m tall lizard in the first place. Just like that frankly dumb conceit of making vampires some sort of viral sickness, it's just dumb, distractive and makes it harder to suspend disbelief.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The main issue is giving the fighting a sense of weight and power. That's generally what makes man-in-suit fighting look a bit cheesy, it looks and moves like something the size and mass of a human (+ some cardboard robot bits) not however big it's meant to be.

Animating Big G to look like he's slinging some serious mass around is going to be the thing.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The director is hinting heavily that the monster is Rodan.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I wonder if the people who developed Pacific Rim have any connection to the ones developing Godzilla, because the fighting in that movie, to me, looked pretty convincing as far as giant monster fighting goes.
unsigned
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Judging by the closeness of the releases, they were likely made at least in part concurrently. At best, there may have been some note-sharing.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I'm mystified as to why anyone should care. Pacific Rim is a single one-off film, it's not a venerated franchise spanning decades and generations. Why should creative input, or more obnoxiously yet, crossovers compel anyone any more than, say, for Pulgasari, Yongary or Gorgo? Sheer recency?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:I'm mystified as to why anyone should care. Pacific Rim is a single one-off film, it's not a venerated franchise spanning decades and generations. Why should creative input, or more obnoxiously yet, crossovers compel anyone any more than, say, for Pulgasari, Yongary or Gorgo? Sheer recency?
I don't think they are referring to Pacific Rim in some storytelling sense but in a pure aesthetics sense. Despite a story that could be made in a random cliche plot generator the pure physicality of the fights was impressive. The short time we had with the two on one fights then the two on two then one on two gave you an excellent feel for each Kajiu's fighting style.

The thing people look to Pacific Rim for is for the one thing it did well. The fights, those CGI smack ups went to the tiny part of our monkey brain and told us "Holy crap it's a giant monster fighting another giant robot".

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

What MrBean says, pretty much all of Godzilla's legacy is presented through costumes and miniatures. Pacific Rim, on the other hand, is probably one of the first movies to successfully pull off the giant monster/mecha fight thing (Robot Jox notwithstanding).

And if you (TithonusSyndrome) are already gritting your teeth about the legacy of the Godzilla series and its significance to the point of dismissing Pacific Rim like that (key word in your post: venerated ) I foresee disappointment in your future. :(
unsigned
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

I'm not sure if this has been posted but it has some intriguing info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ilXSOhW0M0

Okay damn it how the hell do you embed videos?

It never seems to work for me.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

gigabytelord wrote:I'm not sure if this has been posted but it has some intriguing info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ilXSOhW0M0

Okay damn it how the hell do you embed videos?

It never seems to work for me.

Gotta remove the "s" from https:*stuff*. Some videos also don't allow embedding, or that used to be the case. For all I know, YouTube decided to disable that.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

New extended look trailer.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'm liking it. Godzilla looks fucking huge.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Borgholio wrote:I'm liking it. Godzilla looks fucking huge.
Agreed - love the shot of his tail sweeping through the fog. They've obviously put some thought into making him look 'heavy', which is one of the things I liked about Pacific Rim.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Chimaera wrote:
Agreed - love the shot of his tail sweeping through the fog. They've obviously put some thought into making him look 'heavy', which is one of the things I liked about Pacific Rim.
Someone once questioned what would happen if Godzilla were one of the monsters in Pacific Rim. He'd probably be a Category 6 and would eat the Jaegers for lunch.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Borgholio wrote:
Chimaera wrote:
Someone once questioned what would happen if Godzilla were one of the monsters in Pacific Rim. He'd probably be a Category 6 and would eat the Jaegers for lunch.
Judging from what I've seen of the trailers, Gojira appears to much, much bigger than the kaijus and jaegers, so massive that his form disappears into the mist. It would probably take a squad of jaegers to give him a nosebleed :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Chimaera wrote:Judging from what I've seen of the trailers, Gojira appears to much, much bigger than the kaijus and jaegers, so massive that his form disappears into the mist. It would probably take a squad of jaegers to give him a nosebleed :lol:
From what I've heard (and a bit of google-fu) the new Godzilla is somewhere between 115-160 meters. These are estimates obviously because we don't have any clear shots of him standing near real life structures for comparison. Whereas Gipsy Danger was around 80 meters last I checked, so it ranges from "meh, I've seen bigger" to "Holy shit that's a big Cat #". I also found a chart (that I can not vouch for because a math wiz I am not, that shows Slattern the first and only Cat 5 we saw to be about 600 feet long/tall (183 meters) which places it above even the largest est. for Godzilla, but the movie isn't out yet so we kinda have to wait.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

didn't we discuss this a while back and it was concluded that most kaiju outside of Pacific Rim would at least cat 5 at the very least.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

The shot of the water flooding the city looks eerily similar to actual footage from recent Tsunamis in Japan and elsewhere.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

That's probably deliberate. It's easier to evoke emotion from an audience using things that they recognise which already have an emotional resonance.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Chimaera wrote:
Going by the position later, that wasn't Godzilla's tail. There's another clear(if quick) shot (and maybe some partials) of other not-Godzilla kaiju in the trailer, too.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Holy fucking shitballs.

I saw this in the theater last night and they made Godzilla FUCKING HUGE!
I mean, I was shocked at the scope and scale and it totally looks like they pulled it off. For instance Pacific Rim didn't give me nearly the sense of awe this did.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Havok wrote:Holy fucking shitballs.

I saw this in the theater last night and they made Godzilla FUCKING HUGE!
I mean, I was shocked at the scope and scale and it totally looks like they pulled it off. For instance Pacific Rim didn't give me nearly the sense of awe this did.
I really like the cinematography of the new Godzilla based on the trailers. While the monsters in Pacific Rim is technically taller than Godzilla, the angle of shots used in PR makes everything looks small. The buildings and vehicles in Pacific Rim looks rather toylike to me.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

At 1:45 in the new trailer you can see two non Godzilla monster on the monitors behind
the military/officer guy. One looks like a saucer headed Cloverfield, the other is a flying monster
that seems to be able to hover. The monitors are conveniently labeled MUTO 1 and MUTO 2 :-)
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

at 2:20-21, you see the head and mouth of one of the other Kaiju. I'm betting more MUTO, as it's definitely too small to be the Big G.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Chimaera wrote:Judging from what I've seen of the trailers, Gojira appears to much, much bigger than the kaijus and jaegers, so massive that his form disappears into the mist. It would probably take a squad of jaegers to give him a nosebleed :lol:
lol. "Sir, he took out all the Jaegers!"
"Did they at least slow him down?"
"Preliminary reports indicate he's suffering from a Category 6 nosebleed."
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."