Matt Smith exit from Doctor Who confirmed

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Sute
Youngling

Re: Matt Smith exit from Doctor Who confirmed

Post by Sute »

Didn't they already handwave away the regeneration limit in the episode where the Doctor was reunited with Sarah Jane Smith? I distinctly remember there being some talk about that...
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Sute wrote:Didn't they already handwave away the regeneration limit in the episode where the Doctor was reunited with Sarah Jane Smith? I distinctly remember there being some talk about that...
Nope, he merely said he'd regenerated "half a dozen times since we last met" which is correct, going from 4th to 10th Doctor.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Nope, he merely said he'd regenerated "half a dozen times since we last met" which is correct, going from 4th to 10th Doctor.
Assuming you ignore the fact that the last Doctor Sarah met was Five, in The Five Doctors. There was also the SJA episode with Eleven where he threw out an enormous random number when asked how many times he could regenerate.
Sute
Youngling

Post by Sute »

Captain Seafort wrote:There was also the SJA episode with Eleven where he threw out an enormous random number when asked how many times he could regenerate.
Ah, that's probably what I was thinking of.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Nope, he merely said he'd regenerated "half a dozen times since we last met" which is correct, going from 4th to 10th Doctor.
Assuming you ignore the fact that the last Doctor Sarah met was Five, in The Five Doctors. There was also the SJA episode with Eleven where he threw out an enormous random number when asked how many times he could regenerate.
How about we now know there is at least one more regeneration out there, during the timewar years? John Hurt's character might not carry the name The Doctor, but it's still the same body he's lugging around.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Atlan wrote:How about we now know there is at least one more regeneration out there, during the timewar years? John Hurt's character might not carry the name The Doctor, but it's still the same body he's lugging around.
We also don't know where Hurt fits in yet - given how seriously the Beeb have always taken keeping major aspects of the plot secret until broadcast, especially under Moffat, I'm suspicious about any alleged leaks.