Tron: Uprising

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Havok
Miscreant

Tron: Uprising

Post by Havok »

I didn't remember a thread about this, but I just watched it and I really liked it.

The tone was cool and the music was great. The lead, Beck isn't overly angsty. The CGI and character designs are slick.(except for the abnormally high crotches)

I was really looking forward to seeing how Clu ensnares Tron and what happened to Beck, but I guess there is no season 2 in the works, although it hasn't been cancelled.

Anyway, has anyone else seen it? Thoughts?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Re: Tron: Uprising

Post by Ford Prefect »

I watched the first couple of episodes back when it was airing, but fell behind. It was actually pretty cool. Some good use of Legacy's visual design, so it looked really stylish. Some of the writing was really predictable though, like the female bad guy really being good underneath etc.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Iracundus
Youngling

Post by Iracundus »

I didn't see the point of having a white suit for Tron except purely to make it more identifiable to viewers not familiar with previous Tron works. That bit jars with Tron Legacy.

Though there is some forward movement of the plot, the series suffers from some of its "filler" episodes having to essentially restore or not change the status quo. Thus the character development is at times stalled such as the romantic subplot. So the plot movement in the series is staccato with a few episodes jerking the plot forward while others keep it static.

The animation is good but I don't like the character proportions.

Overall though I wouldn't mind a continuation of it, if only so we could fill in the gap before Legacy.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well Tron is a carry over from the previous grid and he had the grey/white outfit there. In Legacy he is in black. I don't see what the issue is.

As to the series, it needs to fill quite the gap as Flynn has to age twenty years until Legacy pics up. I expected status quo, but I like how they handled it. The slow takeover of the grid has a much more sinister feel to it than if it just all turned "Red" like a reverse Tron.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I watched it on Netflix over the last week and enjoyed it immensely. Hoping for a second season, somehow. When it was originally on Disney XD it was apparently getting bumped around on the schedule and I never finished it. It definitely gets better as it goes on so stick with it if you've given up. Glad I gave it another shot.
Iracundus
Youngling

Post by Iracundus »

Havok wrote:Well Tron is a carry over from the previous grid and he had the grey/white outfit there. In Legacy he is in black. I don't see what the issue is.
There is a scene that appears in both Legacy and Uprising, specifically the bit where Clu revolts. In Legacy, Tron is wearing black. In Uprising, the same scene is shown with Tron wearing white.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Has there been a definitive answer as to whether or not Uprising has been cancelled? There haven't been any new eps out for a while but I haven't seen a press release or official notice that it's been scrapped
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Iracundus wrote:
Havok wrote:Well Tron is a carry over from the previous grid and he had the grey/white outfit there. In Legacy he is in black. I don't see what the issue is.
There is a scene that appears in both Legacy and Uprising, specifically the bit where Clu revolts. In Legacy, Tron is wearing black. In Uprising, the same scene is shown with Tron wearing white.
True, I guess you can chalk it up to Flynn misremembering? Obviously a computer program is going to remember it correctly. :lol:

And no explicit word on the continuation of the series.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Havok wrote:And no explicit word on the continuation of the series.
*Sigh*

First Earth's Mightiest Heroes, then TCW, now this. I hope Avengers Assemble starts getting better soon, or i'll have nothing to watch on weekends
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks