Avengers (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Re: Avengers (Spoilers)

Post by Lost Soal »

mr friendly guy wrote:
Lost Soal wrote:I actually thought it was Red Skull when I saw it, but yes, the images of Thanos do match the way he looked. Somehow though I don't think I'll have been the only person to see a red face and come up with that conclusion..
The face looked purple to me. Also I doubt the Red Skull would be affiliated with alien invaders to the extent where he controls it. However controlling alien soldiers seems a bit more up Thanos's alley.
Not doubting you. I know the barest amount regarding Thanos and I just made the link in the cinema based on the fact that the last time we say RS he was being, potentially, transported across the galaxy by the cube and they are on the other end.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Chris OFarrell wrote:Best bit HAS to be when Hulk smashed Loki through the window into Stark Tower. The dramatic music starts up, he stands up, an enraged look comes across his faceas if he is about to unleash all hell in an utter fury as he shouts "ENOUGH! I AM A GOD you dumb CREATURE, and I will NOT be bullied by-"

- Annnnnd the Hulk at that point quite literally picks up Loki and smashes him left-right-left-right-left-right like a f*#King RAG DOLL!!!!!

Leaving him half embeded into the floor making rather pathetic whining noises as the Hulk stomps away muttering...
Agreed, also ranking amongst the best bits I think is Iron Mans entrance in Germany which was really made by the two contrasting looks, first with Black Widows smile as she recognises the song and who must be playing it followed by Loki's look of utter bafflement as he wonders at just what the hell is going on before getting smacked by Iron Man
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I had to use the font of all knowledge to find out what Shawarma was. Me thinks Stark was a bit concussed if he wants one of those....
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

To be honest by the end I was feeling sorry for Loki, everyone just beat him, he couldn't even get anything past the normal types: -

Thor - Beats him up several times
Hulk - Wipes the floor with him
Iron man - Beats him in Germany and then proves immune to his mind control when out of the suit
Black Widow - Tricks him into revealing some of his plan
Hawkeye - Blows him up
Captain America - Spoils his fun in germany and organises the Avengers against him

The guy just does not get a break.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

streetad wrote:We don't know for sure that Thanos WILL be the villain in the next film. The way he was used was really as a reinforcement of the whole 'now Earth is protected and we don't have to resort to those nasty Nazi laser guns' idea. It could be simply a cameo for the nerdier viewers.
No I don't think so. The fact that the Skrulls were all "to fight the humans is to court death" to Thanos is like saying "free sex" to a stereotypical male college freshman.
Lost Soal wrote: Huh. I actually thought it was Red Skull when I saw it, but yes, the images of Thanos do match the way he looked. Somehow though I don't think I'll have been the only person to see a red face and come up with that conclusion.
His face was purple though, like Thanos' Plus he totally had the Thanos headgear
Pretty certain it was Starks $200 magnetic bracelets which protected him.
Nope. The bracelet was a lock-on for the MK VII suits lasers. You can pretty much tell its the Reactor as Loki taps directly on it and there's a nice little *tink* every time he does.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Loki: I'm listening...
Aasharu
Youngling

Post by Aasharu »

Loki: "If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now." I don't know precisely what it is about that line, but it just cracked me up
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

mr friendly guy wrote: When Stark was falling, it looked like Thor was going to fly up and save him, but it turned out the Hulk could be a team player (despite giving Thor a love tap after they both beat up the bad guys).
I liked the subtle nods to realistic physics, especially that one: when Hulk caught Tony they were still falling at something like 80 MPH, slowing down to survivable speeds gradually by tearing through the wall of a building, vs. the cliche "catch the victim a few feet above the ground" schtick that should kill them.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Just got back from the movie an hour ago, got home right after the giant rainstorms outside my door. Went to see it with the cousins and it did not disappoint. The action was a little meh in places but in others it was outstanding. The best two areas was the comedy, the theater was packed and everyone laughed often. The top two moments for them was Thor and Hulk sharing a moment before Hulk punches him, followed by the one that got people cheering and laughing when the security guard tells the naked Banner "Son you got a condition".

But then pretty much every single Robert Downey Jr. line got people laughing but you could tell which lines the trailers had spoiled. The movie despite being what (Checks IMDB) over 140 minutes long seems to end to quickly. The intro's for everyone was great, even if I prefer Edward Norton's as Banner this one was not bad. Chris Evans does a great job as Cap, wished we had more time to see him in the modern world but the setup with him was great when we pull back from the punching bag he just smashed to five more all lined up. Chris as Thor is still good but nothing outstanding this movie since we got only two good Thor jokes both involving comparisons (Flying what? and You don't have those here?). The two shield agents were fine and Hawkeye got to show off his damn aimbot, even if Black Widow seemed out of place during the end giant alien brawl, Hawkeye did not since he physics hacks on those arrows. I mean don't mind me I'm just going to stand in this VTOL aircraft and fire off the back ramp of a flying contraption that's bouncing in turbulence at a flying aircraft carrier that's moving towards us right next to an active engine vortex and need only one shot to do it.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Mr Bean wrote: But then pretty much every single Robert Downey Jr. line got people laughing but you could tell which lines the trailers had spoiled.
Thats why after the teaser trailer I avoided all trailers, footage, photos and details as possible making pretty much every line and scene reveal new to me. I think I'm going to try that for any other big movie releases that are due

As for funny Thor lines - "He's adopted"

Ivanova is always right.

KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

The next movie is obviously going to involve Thanos.

Not only did he have the customary "golden eyebrow" helmet but the craggy oversized chin is unmistakable. Add the reference to being scared of Death and it's a sure thing.

It opens up so many options, though I doubt we will see a return of the Thanos Copter (would be a sweet easter egg for them to throw in there).

He could go after the Cosmic Cube, err Tesseract but that has been done.

More than likely it will either be an Infinity Gauntlet or just Thanos the bad ass and his obsession with Death.

I wonder if they will try to throw in some other characters. Giant Man and The Wasp is a good one, which would set up Ultron/Vision for Avengers 3 (if they get that far).

My review of the movie? Great fucking movie. I already want to go watch it again.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Great movie. I especially love the part after the credits, where the Avengers are all just sitting in a restaurant eating. Nothing is spoken, it's just all of them eating and it's hilarious to watch.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Mr Bean wrote: Chris Evans does a great job as Cap, wished we had more time to see him in the modern world but the setup with him was great when we pull back from the punching bag he just smashed to five more all lined up.
From what I read at least 30 minutes was edited out, including scenes where Cap reunites with his WWII old flame. I expect these deleted scenes will be in the blu ray release.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

In the sequel, a great way to bring Thor back to earth would be dealing with Thanos stealing the Infinity Gauntlet from Odin's vault.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:In the sequel, a great way to bring Thor back to earth would be dealing with Thanos stealing the Infinity Gauntlet from Odin's vault.
At a guess, I don't think they'll need to go down a theft route. Thor 2 will likely involve a line similar to "now we have the Tesseract back we can rebuild the bifrost."
Come Avengers 2 the Bifrost is finished so all you need it for Hiemdahl to spot a big nasty smashing earth and summon Thor who with his pledge to help has essentially made a vow of protection and must fulfill it.

Ivanova is always right.

Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Dartzap wrote:I had to use the font of all knowledge to find out what Shawarma was. Me thinks Stark was a bit concussed if he wants one of those....
A well prepared Shawarma (or Shoarma) is quite delicious. Of course it's a middle-eastern equivalent to a hamburger culturally speaking, but there's nothing wrong with it.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I saw the movie. It kicked ass.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Saw it, liked it, want to see it again in the cinema.

Oh and being a complete comic boon n00b, I was (and still am) pretty sure that the guy at the end was Red Mask; reference his exit in Captain America, and when blue light shines on a red surface is purple.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

You mean the Red Skull.

And he had his golden crown, and is in space(the the hell would the Red Skull be in space and in charge of a army of space aliens?)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

It's Thanos for sure. We've already seen the Infinity Gauntlet in Thor (nice way to get Thor back in for Avengers 2 or 3), plus upon second viewing he clearly has a nose, something Red Skull lacks.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Lonestar wrote:You mean the Red Skull.
Sure do!
Lonestar wrote:And he had his golden crown, and is in space(the the hell would the Red Skull be in space and in charge of a army of space aliens?)
Didn't see a golden crown, and that's where the Red Skull went at the end of the Captain America movie; the blue cube thingy opened a portal to the cosmos and he got beamed in; Cap thought he had died, but that wasn't the same effect as the Hydra weapons have.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Kojiro wrote:It's Thanos for sure. We've already seen the Infinity Gauntlet in Thor (nice way to get Thor back in for Avengers 2 or 3), plus upon second viewing he clearly has a nose, something Red Skull lacks.
The Red Skull does indeed lack a nose, and if you're sure you saw one then I cede that it can't be the Red Skull.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Well if it is Red Skull he's certainly moved up in the world in the last 70 years and a nose isn't beyond possibilty but that face was far too meaty and the eyes were unnaturally blight. Plus Red Skull is really just an ugly Cap. He'd be able to hold his own against Widow or Hawkeye and even Cap but he wouldn't last long against Thor/Hulk/Stark. Thanos has to be the villian, if only to up the power level (though not necessarily for Avengers 2). It'd be like bringing back Vanko to face the Avengers, which would be hilarious but short.
Dragon Clan Veritech
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

It better not fucking be the Red Skull. Thanos opens up so many awesome opprtunities and is such a richer character than Nazi McNazi face that I would be sorely disappointed if they somehow retconned the face we saw into the Red Skull.

Take a sec, Google Thanos and then compare to what you saw. It was unmistakeably him.

I don't remember seeing the Infinity Gauntlet in Thor, though I did only watch it twice and never looked for it.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

KrauserKrauser wrote:It better not fucking be the Red Skull. Thanos opens up so many awesome opprtunities and is such a richer character than Nazi McNazi face that I would be sorely disappointed if they somehow retconned the face we saw into the Red Skull.

Take a sec, Google Thanos and then compare to what you saw. It was unmistakeably him.

I don't remember seeing the Infinity Gauntlet in Thor, though I did only watch it twice and never looked for it.
Not only the looks, but the smile on his face when the Other was all "courting Death"

It has to have been Thanos, logically speaking.